Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
Hi all, I have a SFR valued at around 215k. The original loan was for 170k and I currently owe 140k. What’s the best strategy to pull out the equity to buy another property based off the new value? Traditional banks I’ve spoken with will only give me a cash out refi based off the original loan amount and money I owe now.
Do not order an appraisal because most lenders have their own appraisal companies and you will be paying for two appraisals. Is the property in Atlanta?
Real Estate Broker · Marietta, GA · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 105 votes
8y
@Greg Davis HELOC should be easier to get. BUT, when you go to get a loan on a new property you may get push back if they see you are cross-collateralizing.
I have a guy at a local CU that should be able to help.
Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2016 · 64 posts · 49 votes
8y
@Greg Davis
Whats ur current interest rate and term?
Youd have to see what a refi would do to your payment (current and long term)
I suggest an interest only heloc.
Last option is to sell if you can avoid cap gains or 1031.
Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
8y
@Vik P.
The one I was talking about is a rental, but I could do it with my primary as well if thats a better option. Thank you for the great advice though. I’m going to start making a list too and see if I can find a special promo.
The one I was talking about is a rental, but I could do it with my primary as well if thats a better option. Thank you for the great advice though. I’m going to start making a list too and see if I can find a special promo.
Check out penfed.org along with local CUs. They have a onetime $65 r something fee ro be a member (if you arent already). They do HELOCs upto 80% LTV on rentals and upto 90% on primary residence (will need a full appraisal for anything over 80%) and I believe they cover al 50 states or close to it if not every single one. good luck
Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
8y
@Sunny Shakhawala
Thanks Sunny I’ll look into that. It’s 3.75 and 30 yr. I can still positive cash flow with a higher interest rate so I don’t want to 1031 though.
Real Estate Broker · Commerce City, CO · Member since 2018 · 107 posts · 55 votes
8y
I personally like the HELOC option more than the cash out refi. It let's you tap into the equity of the property and have it available to use when you want it. If you have no use for it, then it sits there and you are not making payments on it. Then when you have something you want to use it on you can, and then only pay on what you have used. The only downside to the HELOC is that many of them have a 1% minimum payment on the balance used until you are out of the draw period. So if you use $80k of it your payment is $800. Where as on a 15 year amortized payment it would be just over $600. Still I think it's good to just have the funds available for when you want them.
Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 36 votes
8y
@Tristan Colborg
What is the draw period if you dont me asking? And its 1% of 80k until the 80k is repaid or is that what the period is and itll change after the draw period ends?
I really appreciate it man. Sounds like several investors say this is the CU to go with. Good luck to you as well!
Thanks. The only thing I dont know is whether penfed heloc or any of the offerings these days have IO option for a rental HELOC (or for primary for that matter) during the draw period as many of them have 1 or 1.5% as min payment. May be someone here can weigh in on that.
Real Estate Broker · Commerce City, CO · Member since 2018 · 107 posts · 55 votes
8y
@Cristian Aviles-Morales So all Helocs have a draw period and a repayment period. How long each of those are depends on the bank. Mine with Navy Federal for example has a 20 year draw period and 20 year repayment period. During the draw period you are paying 1% of whatever your balance is and it is lowering your principal and interest with each payment. At the and of your draw period the remaining balance gets amortized over the amortization period. So if you started with 80k during the draw period and had a remaining balance of 50k at the end, the 50k would be amortized over that period. So in my case the 50k would be over 20 year period, and the payments are based off that 20 year period not the 1% any more. Hopefully that makes sense.
Helotes, TX · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
8y
@Tristan Colborg great info! I was wondering if you actually needed to be offIlated with the armed forces past or present in order to do biz with Navy Federal?
@Cristian Aviles-Morales So all Helocs have a draw period and a repayment period. How long each of those are depends on the bank. Mine with Navy Federal for example has a 20 year draw period and 20 year repayment period. During the draw period you are paying 1% of whatever your balance is and it is lowering your principal and interest with each payment. At the and of your draw period the remaining balance gets amortized over the amortization period. So if you started with 80k during the draw period and had a remaining balance of 50k at the end, the 50k would be amortized over that period. So in my case the 50k would be over 20 year period, and the payments are based off that 20 year period not the 1% any more. Hopefully that makes sense.
Perfect! I have Navy Federal too so that's handy to know they offer this service!
Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 3 votes
8y
One more thing to consider with a HELOC that could have effect on the deal you are trying to use it for. It can negatively effect the debt to income ratio for the next deal. Let's say you can get one at a 5% rate now and use it for a down payment for a new deal. The lender for this new deal will use a much higher rate when calculating the monthly payments you would have to make on the HELOC. It is a variable rate and to be safe they have a ceiling that they default to. I believe when I was dealing with this it was 14% but this was a few years ago. Things might have changed since. Naturally this is not an issue with a cash out refi.
Rental Property Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 45 votes
8y
Some CU's do better LTV's for HELOC's fyi, depending on county tax appraisal. If you have a high tax appraisal, you can get more and not have to pay an appraiser fee. Best option for cash flow would be the 30 year refi-cash out at around 75-80% LTV, unless it's a short-term equity need.
Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 54 votes
8y
Hi Greg,
I have come across this in the past as well. There are banks I have used that do not require seasoning of 2 years with appreciation. Wells Fargo, Guaranteed Rate, Reliance First...are some that come to mind. Good luck!