How do you pull out equity on your home after its appreciated?

How do you pull out equity on your home after its appreciated?

Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
Hi all, I have a SFR valued at around 215k. The original loan was for 170k and I currently owe 140k. What’s the best strategy to pull out the equity to buy another property based off the new value? Traditional banks I’ve spoken with will only give me a cash out refi based off the original loan amount and money I owe now.
10Reply
180 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 15 votes
8y

Do not order an appraisal because most lenders have their own appraisal companies and you will be paying for two appraisals.  Is the property in Atlanta?

See this reply in the discussion

69 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Vandalia, MI · Member since 2018 · 569 posts · 264 votes
    8y

    You would get either a HELOC or a refi. The amount would be around 80 LTV.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Talk to more banks and either cash-out refinance at 70-80% LTV or get a HELOC.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Brian Garrett Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to get a heloc based off the appreciated value though? I tried for a heloc and they based it off the original loan amount/amount I owe. Should I order a new appraisal myself and bring it with?
  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Yes some banks may have a seasoning period but you can get a HELOC based on the ARV.

  • Investor · Pacific City, OR · Member since 2016 · 175 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    You can also work with a mortgage broker, who should be able to find a lender for you that will offer you a HELOC.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    US Bank was very competitive and accommodating when I worked with them about a year ago.

  • Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    Do not order an appraisal because most lenders have their own appraisal companies and you will be paying for two appraisals.  Is the property in Atlanta?

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Brian Garrett Thanks Brian! Must have went to the wrong banks.
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Sean Lambert I’ll give that a shot as well. Thanks Sean
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Bjorn Ahlblad Awesome. I appreciate the recommendation!
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Ann Rosen Good call! It’s in newnan. I have another in Smyrna in a similar situation.
  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    8y

    The lender will have to order the appraisal, they can't use one you bought.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    @Greg Davis I explained how I did this on BP Podcast 238. Swanny
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Michael Swan Can’t wait to listen to it man!
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Lee Bell Thanks Lee. Noted!
  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    I have done it. It can can definitely be done. Just talk to other banks. I have gotten both HELOC and cash out refi. The bank will order their appraisal as part of the loan process.

  • Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    @Greg Davis - Is it your primary residence or a rental property? If its a primary residence both HELOC and/or cashout refi are possible with any local credit union. I dont know about Atlanta or GA MSA but there are some banks here in WA these days that go upto 95 or even 100% (according to the flyers I have seen) with a full appraisal and other factors like assets, your financial stmt and other criteria but upto 90% LTV is pretty std I think in most cases for a HELOC on a primary residence and 80%LTV on a cashout on primary residence. If its a rental your only option would be cash out refi @75%LTV as HELOCs on an inv prop are virtually non existent anymore after 2008/2009 market crash but you never know. I do have a HELOC that I got in 2015 through a CU for a rental propety we own in SF Bay area so its still possible so you never know. I remember I had a list of all CUs in CA and I called every single one and was lucky to get one that offered at 80% LTV cashout on a rental will give you around 18k after closing costs.
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Sandor Bogdan Good to know man, thank you.
  • Investor · SANTA BARBARA, CA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    You can do HELOCs on rental properties through Pentagon Federal CU ("PenFed"). If you own more than 3 rentals and DON'T own your primary residence, you're out of luck, but otherwise... Competitive rates, no appraisal necessary (unless you want to pay for one, in the hopes of getting a better number on your investment prop). Not a bad option... They're also good for mortgages on investment properties (currently 4.5%, 30 yr am, 10 yr balloon)...

  • Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    @Dave Lawrence - I feel like I had talked to penfed back in 2015 and from what remember they dont do HELOCs on a rental condo which is what I have in SF so thats why I couldnt go with them but I could be wrong Thanks for the reminder on penfed. I can check them out again for other SFRs that I own now
  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    8y

    PenFed.

    Good luck!

  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Vik P.:
    @Dave Lawrence - I feel like I had talked to penfed back in 2015 and from what remember they dont do HELOCs on a rental condo which is what I have in SF so thats why I couldnt go with them but I could be wrong

    Thanks for the reminder on penfed. I can check them out again for other SFRs that I own now

    Just got one on mine.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    @Sandor Bogdan. If cashout refi AND Heloc are options, what rules of thumb or strategies should be considered? I don’t want to divert from the original question, but it seems like a natural question to ask.
  • Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Hunt:
    Originally posted by @Vik P.:
    @Dave Lawrence - I feel like I had talked to penfed back in 2015 and from what remember they dont do HELOCs on a rental condo which is what I have in SF so thats why I couldnt go with them but I could be wrong

    Thanks for the reminder on penfed. I can check them out again for other SFRs that I own now

    Just got one on mine.

    Cool. I was checking their website yesterday and you are right it didnt exclude condos for non owner occupied HELOCs. Is it 10 yr draw IO only and 15 yr repay for yours?

  • RE Investor · Newnan, GA · Member since 2015 · 309 posts · 132 votes
    8y
    @Greg Davis try private bank of Decatur or some of the local credit unions.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.