Best Books to Read When You're Just Starting?

Best Books to Read When You're Just Starting?

Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes

So I'm definitely the type of person who likes to be prepared and feel well-versed/knowledgable before I do most things. With that being said, I'm educating myself on REI first before making any big moves or decisions. In an effort to save money, I went to the library yesterday versus buying on Amazon & picked up the following books:

1. The Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing 2nd Edition - Gary W. Eldred

2. Rich Dad's Cash Flow Quadrant - Robert Kiyosaki

3. Rich Dad's Guide to Investing - Robert Kiyosaki

4. Investing in Real Estate - Gary W. Eldred

5. Trump University Real Estate 101 - Gary W. Eldred

I'd like to know if anyone found any of these valuable/are they a good use of my time? Also, if you can please recommend any other "must-reads", I'd love to know what those are. Note: I've already read Rich Dad Poor Dad. I'm a beginner so beginner-friendly recommendations are appreciated. Also open to personal development/motivational books as well, as I know having the right mindset is key.

Thanks for your help!

9Reply
197 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 15 votes
7y
@Jessyca Jones the millionaire real estate investor by GARY KELLER and the 10x rule by Grant Cardone!
See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 27 votes
    7y
    @Jessyca Jones Ok so my suggestions are as follows and im not associated with any of these authors, i just found them very useful. Three books by Brandon Turner, the book on rental property investing, the book on investing with no and low money down, and the book on managing rental property. One book by mike Butler, landlording on auto piolt One book by Mark Ferguson, Building a rental property empire And two random books that are good to pull away for a bit are, the millionaire next door, and barking up the wrong tree. Hope these are as good for you!
  • Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Shaune L Clark II thank you!! Those are all definitely going on my reading list :)

  • Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Shaune L Clark II thank you!! Those are all definitely going on my reading list :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 27 votes
    7y
    @Jessyca Jones glad to help, and sorry, i responded through my android app, and it appears to have edited my grammer and punctuation... i hope that response didnt look as bad from your end.
  • Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shaune L Clark II:
    @Jessyca Jones glad to help, and sorry, i responded through my android app, and it appears to have edited my grammer and punctuation... i hope that response didnt look as bad from your end.

     looks great to me :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    7y
    @Jessyca Jones the unabridged version of Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill changed my life. It’s a personal development book but changes the way you think about everything if you apply it.
  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Jessyca Jones The Weekend Millionaire....changed my life
  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Jessyca Jones The Weekend Millionare.....changed my life...
  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    7y

    @Jessyca Jones You mention a couple of Robert Kiyosaki books, but not the gold standard Rich Dad Poor Dad.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    "Illusions" by Richard Bach. EVERYONE should read it. 

  • Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y
  • Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    Thank you @John Thedford !!

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jessyca Jones:

     I see it now...oops!

  • Realtor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    7y
    Hello @Jessyca Jones I would suggest no and low money down - Brandon Turner ( this book will give you some insight on how to invest in RE multiple ways using CREATIVITY instead of CASH) and managing rental properties- Brandon turner this book is by far my favorite because he literally goes through every trial tribulations you will endure and lays out what it means to be a landlord. The book includes free forms as well to reference so you can add to your investor tool box.
  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    7y
    @Jessyca Jones the millionaire real estate investor by GARY KELLER and the 10x rule by Grant Cardone!
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 28 votes
    7y
    @Jessyca Jones I am beginning my REÍ career as well as I have read Brandon Turner’s book, “The book on rental property investing” and I LOVE it! He writes very illustratively and talks about everything you need to know to get into rental property investing: from how to choose and analyze a deal to how to deal with tenants once you have them. I am now reading, “The book on estimating rehab costs” by J Scott and it’s also interesting to start thinking about all the components of a house that can be changed/fixed when buying a house and for selling a house. Let me know if what you get next!
  • Investor · Glyndon, MN · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jessyca Jones, I myself don't take much time to read anymore, but have switched to audible and stitcher podcasts.  The Go Giver is a great book in general about dealing with people.  Listening to Bigger Pockets podcasts will also give a lot of insight on investing in real estate from multiple sources.

  • Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Ana Coello Brandon's book(s) seem very popular, I'm going to give this one a read for sure! J Scott's seems like a good one once I'm a little further down the road! Ty!! :)

    @Roemeo Barnette thanks for the reco! No money/low money down is definitely right up my alley lol & I'm really interested in the creative aspect of investing to get around money limitations!

    @Trevor Brown thanks a lot!! Both of those look great :)

    @Troy Wyland I appreciate the reco's! I love podcasts too, especially BP. I get at least 2 episodes in per day during my work commute! Dealing with people can definitely be tricky at times but it's necessary to form good relationships in order to succeed (I think), so I think I'll definitely check out Go Giver! Ty!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Jessyca Jones i will recommend “what every real estate investor needs to know about cash flow” by Frank  Gallinelli.  

    For Podcasts, i would say the Old Capital Podcast. 

    Both will help you understand financing and the analysis of investing. 

    I bought the book online for $4.00 :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I also wanted to add “how to win friends and influence people” by Dale Carnegie

    This is a very good book on how to get what you want and easily interact with others. It changed how i interact with folks.  And it will be super helpful when you landlord. 

    Another good one is “getting to yes” by Roger Fischer

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Lots of books have been recommended and I would agree with most of them as good read. That said, It can be overwhelming with all the recommendations and hard to know where to start :-)

    Personally, I would recommend you start out with "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor". It is a good foundation book for beginner investors and helps with personal finance, mind set, and real estate investing.

    Many great recommendation in the post. I hope you find the books you're looking for.

    David

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jessyca Jones:

    ... Also open to personal development/motivational books as well, as I know having the right mindset is key.

    Thanks for your help!

    Thanks for the post because I'm new to and it's good to know what others recommend who have done this. 

    For personal development I just listened to the audio book of Ego is the Enemy which I got something out of.

    Good luck

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 182 votes
    7y
    @Jessyca Jones I would recommend Bigger Pockets Ultimate Beginners Guide, The podcast on here, and Grant Cardone Real Estate book. There are so many faucets of real estate to get involved in but the main thing is to find one strategy that fits your long term objective and stick to it. I hope this helps and Best of Luck!!!
  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    If you're on Goodreads, BiggerPockets keeps a list of the books that have been recommended on the podcast.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y
    @Mark Fries I am here in Jax too and just learning now. I want to purchase my first property by 12/2019. I will look into this book. Thx!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.