The $30k rental club.......

The $30k rental club.......

Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 140 votes

Im sure many of us have read all the warnings and reviews of buying low price properties, and the problems typically associated with them, but all that considered, it is what first attracts a lot of people , indeed this is the only path available to some, its a start, so lets explore whats real and possible.........

lets use Detroit, Cleveland, Michigan and Indianapolis as examples where possible ,and set a ceiling of $30k

Personally i dont see the return on higher priced properties attractive enough to invest $80 to $120k plus, and before anyone starts preaching about the pitfalls, ive done this before, over 30 properties over 20 years, just in another country, low cost houses in deprived areas, i know what can go wrong.

The first attraction here is the low cost, funding with personal loans and credit cards etc,  is possible, and with high returns , quickly repaid, whereas a large mortgage is on your credit file for years, and has to impact further borrowing, and cannot easily be cleared temporarily in the same way credit cards can, if your credit needs a boost !

How easy is it to get a portfolio of say 3 x $30k properties you own outright (wherever the funds came from !) and then refinance into one loan after 6 months or a year ?........and then repeat this process ?

This is more attainable for a lot of people surely ?

So, anyone with a similar train of thought ?, anyone already doing this ?, any input would help........

36Reply
1,216 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 548 votes
7y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Im sure many of us have read all the warnings and reviews of buying low price properties, and the problems typically associated with them, but all that considered, it is what first attracts a lot of people , indeed this is the only path available to some, its a start, so lets explore whats real and possible.........

lets use Detroit, Cleveland, Michigan and Indianapolis as examples where possible ,and set a ceiling of $30k

Personally i dont see the return on higher priced properties attractive enough to invest $80 to $120k plus, and before anyone starts preaching about the pitfalls, ive done this before, over 30 properties over 20 years, just in another country, low cost houses in deprived areas, i know what can go wrong.

The first attraction here is the low cost, funding with personal loans and credit cards etc,  is possible, and with high returns , quickly repaid, whereas a large mortgage is on your credit file for years, and has to impact further borrowing, and cannot easily be cleared temporarily in the same way credit cards can, if your credit needs a boost !

How easy is it to get a portfolio of say 3 x $30k properties you own outright (wherever the funds came from !) and then refinance into one loan after 6 months or a year ?........and then repeat this process ?

This is more attainable for a lot of people surely ?

So, anyone with a similar train of thought ?, anyone already doing this ?, any input would help........

Hello, yes I've done this in Detroit for 9 years now and some properties were purchased for $1000.  At this point I own 9 properties (10 door) free in clear in Detroit. All occupied, making around $7100 per month. I've already made my initial investment back on almost all the properties and am now seeking a blanket loan on my portfolio. My guess is the total value of the properties as a whole today are $469k. So at 32 years old I owe $469k worth of real estate. But the good news is if the market go up next month or next year I could be worth $600k, then next year maybe $1 million. And i'm confident that the market will go up because it's already hit rock bottom so there's nowhere to go but up from here. Also there's a lot of big investment going on in the city now. I am currently look to purchase a condo in Vegas as well and hopefully moving down there soon. Thanks for you post!!! We need more opened minded people on here that can appeal to the masses without a ton of money.

See this reply in the discussion

316 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Powder Springs, GA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Hamilton

    Hello, Ashley, I’m also in Detroit area (west side). I have 2 homes, so far on the same block, and currently looking at a third. It was in a fire, so this post hit home about buying cheap properties in Detroit. I would like to speak with you about moving forward on this third home, if possible? Thank you in advance.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Let me open with this. If the houses in the hood are so profitable, how is it do you suppose that the locals have not already jumped all over them? Do you think the fly-over states are void of people with capital? Are we all just so incredibly stupid here?

    Incurable. It's an appraisal term. It's when the cost of repairing something will not return in value at least the same amount it cost to make the repairs. This is one-part of the simple explanation of why the houses in the ghetto remain houses in the ghetto (the other part is cap-ex in relation to rent). As Joe pointed out, there is a difference between a $30k house that could sell for $100k after repair and a house that will never be worth more than $30K no matter how much you sink into it.

    That means, if you want to buy in the hood, it's buy and hold only. That appreciation you think is coming, might take longer than you will live. It might take longer than your kids will live. It might not ever happen. We are not talking about a block or two here, we are talking about thousands of homes on thousands of blocks. 

    You gotta see it to believe it folks. Ever been to Gary IN? Heck, Gary is literally next door to Chicago. Part of it even. Closer to downtown than most of the Chicago suburbs. Talk about depressing. (Sorry Gary, you are what you are.) How is it that investors are not scrambling to buy in Gary?

    I really liked Joe's post and am going to reiterate it again. The profitable way to buy in the hood is to not make any repairs. And this is truly the part of the story where it gets personal for me and I start to get angry. Slumlords help nobody but themselves and leave destruction in their wake. It is money over respect. Heck, money over humanity. Me, myself and I. Screw the rest of the world.

    The thing is, the rest of us live in that wake. Human beings. This is the part where everyone can take their self-help crap and stick it where the sun don't shine. The game is, and always has been, rigged. It's not fair. I'm not a commie and I'm not saying the U.S. is not the land of opportunity - not at all. I'm just saying it isn't as even-steven as some dreamers imply. I'll give you one example from my home town, and it's an ugly, ugly thing.

    The United States as-founded and has long-been, extremely right-wing (and for goodness sake, learn what right and left actually mean people - omg). However we have also long had many left-wing traditions, one of them being the ideal of upward mobility through equal opportunity, brought by the great equalizer of a quality public education for all our children. The education system in the City Of Milwaukee is so bad, one could say it is a crime against humanity. I have a friend who worked in the system for a time. She was reporting her students grades to her superiors and they were not good. The response from her superiors was, dumb-down the tests so the scores will go up. Wow. That's what I'm talking about. This is also why anybody around here that can afford to live outside of Milwaukee in a better school district does. (And by contrast, the suburbs can boast some of the best school systems in the country.)

    If investors want to come to a place like Milwaukee and give it a go, fine. I can't stop you. Don't say I didn't warn you. I might even laugh a little when you step on a landmine. But know this, slumlords are NOT welcome. We have enough systemic and generational problems already, we don't need greedy out-of-towners, who don't care about us, who refer to us as fly-overs, coming in here and sucking the last bits of life out of an already dying community.

    That's the nice version. The not-so-nice version is GFY.

    I put my heart and soul into each property I buy. I fix it up nice so my tenants have a nice place to live. Some of that is respect, some of that is strategy. Every time I get a new one, I go down the street and pick up all the trash on the entire block, both sides of the street, each and every time I go to the property. Neighbors take notice. Neighbors get friendly. People follow suit. When people start to feel good about where they live, they start to feel good about everything else too. It's absolutely contagious. Things begin to get better. People stop shooting each other. The same is true in the opposite way. Slumlords are the last thing an already distressed city needs. Please go away.

    And finally, because the only thing people on here seem to understand is numbers, the second piece of the financial story is cap ex. Dan's post explains this dynamic perfectly. Every house is costing you money in cap ex if it is vacant or rented, no matter the cash flow. Envision a dial that spins continuously and never stops. Most repairs cost the same per sf if you have a ghetto house or a suburban one. Rents to pay for these however, vary greatly. Run the math on that and get back to me.

    Now, if you do not intend on being a slumlord, welcome. I mean that. We need the properties fixed up. However, I still suggest you run the math again. I make it work because I self-manage, self-repair, self-books, self-taxes, all of it.

    And for the guy who said people like me are naysayers because we don't want the competition? Plueeze. I would love nothing more than to see the thousands of distressed homes in Milwaukee and Detroit and Gary and everywhere descended on by a swarm of investors who were interested in fixing them up and improving the communities. There is plenty for everyone and really, there aren't enough investors out there to get the job done.

    Sigh.

    In a somewhat related vein, I can't figure out why people always say they want 20 doors. That just seems so dumb to me. Why not have 1 door that is 20 times as valuable? My strategy is to start where I must, and then when I have the cash flow that suits me, begin to trade up and out of bad areas to better, from more units to less. Of course that can only be taken so far, but I just wonder why nobody ever seems to talk about doing it.

    My uncle is pretty loaded. He has one rental property. It's a million dollar condo on the coast of Florida he rents for $300-400 a day. I hardly think it's the most profitable rental property out there, but it sure is easy. The best part is, I can stay for free. I sure am glad he doesn't own 50 ghetto houses instead.

    K. I've said my peace/piece.

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed you are preaching to the choir my friend.  I've bought some for 12K, $14k, $17k $20's and way above $30K.  Since I invest strictly out of state the key for me has been the team on the ground.  I wouldn't recommend self managing low end properties as the tenants can be needy(if not properly trained) but there is high demand for low end housing.  Not all a bed of roses, I have houses burned, tenants not pay, countless evictions and so on......But on average my sub $30K properties cost around $200 to operate per month and the make, most of them 3 or 4 times that in income(when rented LOL!!!!)  all the best to you.  Persist and you will WIN!!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Mike D'Arrigo

    900 rent looks great compared to 600 but it’s deeper than that 300$ difference . It works in lower income because your not buying them at 100 + grand . We get in on a much lower price point . I can buy three houses for that 100k then I get 1800 in rent which is now double the income for the same amount borrowed . As far as capex the roof or hvac will need replaced on the 100 k house just as soon as it will on the cheaper ones . And the advantage on the cheaper homes is the trim level can be much lower and still be marketable . In other words I don’t need Granite countertops or custom cabinets or trex decking to get that 600$ rent each month .

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M. Ya but you need 3 roofs, 3 HVACs and 3 leases.

  • Rental Property Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 548 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Watson:

    @Ashley Hamilton

    Hello, Ashley, I’m also in Detroit area (west side). I have 2 homes, so far on the same block, and currently looking at a third. It was in a fire, so this post hit home about buying cheap properties in Detroit. I would like to speak with you about moving forward on this third home, if possible? Thank you in advance.

     Hello, that's great glad to see that you started out. I'm sorry about the fire I would love to help an offer any advice that I possibly can I'll send you a direct message with my phone number.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David J.:

    @Dennis M. Ya but you need 3 roofs, 3 HVACs and 3 leases.

     Fair enough ...but you can always buy multifamily cheap apartments in fact I own two triplexes ,both were bought under 40 grand and cash flow nicely ,also the insurance and taxes is significantly less on a cheaper house . 

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 108 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Hamilton holy smokes! I'll message you on the side.

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:

    @Mike D'Arrigo

    900 rent looks great compared to 600 but it’s deeper than that 300$ difference . It works in lower income because your not buying them at 100 + grand . We get in on a much lower price point . I can buy three houses for that 100k then I get 1800 in rent which is now double the income for the same amount borrowed . As far as capex the roof or hvac will need replaced on the 100 k house just as soon as it will on the cheaper ones . And the advantage on the cheaper homes is the trim level can be much lower and still be marketable . In other words I don’t need Granite countertops or custom cabinets or trex decking to get that 600$ rent each month .

    Dennis, I think you missed my point. I'm not saying that cheaper houses have more CAP Ex. What I'm saying is that $900 or $1000 rent pays for that new roof or hvac a lot easier than $600 rent. CAP Ex will be a much higher percent of gross rent on these low rent properties. If they work for you that's great, I don't see them working for the in experienced out of state investor.

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 302 posts · 277 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed Easy and 2 words: White Flight for some of it, classism for the other parts. I've been doing this for 6 years, for myself and helping people build portfolios all over America, and it basically comes down to these two things. 

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    7y

     Your argument is sound on the comparison but I would not purchase your comparison RE without a value add.  Assume 50% rule holds then the $3k RE is break even ($3k minus $1.5k (50% rule) minus $1500 mortgage = $0).  I do not purchase to break even.  

    Your RE using 50% rule has $2100 rent minus $1150 (50% rule) minus $600 mortgage for $450 projected cash flow but I assert on such low rent, small unit count units the 50% rule is optimistic. So I forecast, without a value add, there will be a very small long-term monthly cash flow.  

    How much is your time worth?  Do you expect the RE to appreciate faster than inflation?

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Hamilton thanks so helpful!

  • Member since 2017 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Stuart Smith BUYING IN WAR ZONE AREAS IS A NO NO, TO MANY PROBLEMS AND HEADACHES. WHEN YOU GET 100,000 K HOMES YOU HAVE MORE PEACE LESS STRESS. LESS MAINTENANCE. I WOULDNT RECOMMEND IT.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Rosa Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 182 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    We all know that the sale price of a property is arbitrary until put into context. Here’s an article I coincidentally came across today:

    https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/looking-for-a-home-under-100k-better-head-to-ohio-report-finds

  • New Rochelle, NY · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 151 votes
    7y

    I see a lot of back and forth about you have to be local and can't do it if you're out of state etc... maybe it could be your lack of exposure to the people that live in these 30k houses....or maybe the news is causing you to have ideas about these people before even meeting these people....why do so many people think a 30k property is equivalent to ghetto.....

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Hamilton nice ive been thinking about trying detroit out im sure opportunities are limited now though . I invest in Milwaukee wi i feel like its a similar market

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    7y

    Arent inexpensive properties the business model for Morris Invest?  How is that working out for the OOS investor?  I don't think too well.  

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Stuart Smith

    Exactly.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Hamilton

    Well said...

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Hamilton

    You obviously are on the right path. The same path I'd like to get to. As a newbie I could truly look up to you and respect your efforts and advice. I'm really happy to see and hear about your success. Maybe I can bounce some ideas off of you, in hopes of getting to the top too. You have a lot to be proud of.

    I want to do this the honest and legal way too, and won't have it any other way. Good luck. Way to go!

  • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 655 posts · 900 votes
    7y

    @Joseph A. 

    When I read threads like this I always feel like poor neighborhoods always get a bad rap.  One of the main reasons I think this is so is because many investors never lived in a low income neighborhood. I always feel like it comes down to being comfortable in the environment you are investing in.  I have always been able to walk comfortably through any ghetto neighborhood here in Los Angeles and never had a problem.  As an investor if you are not personally comfortable speaking to your tenants or walking the neighborhood your rental is in then I would say this type of investing isn't for you. 

    Good Luck everyone in your investing!  

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    7y

    Always interesting to hear about other's paths.  We are looking for houses that rent for $30k per month (vacation rentals) I thought perhaps that was the subject of the post based on the subject line, before I saw the body of the post.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

    I've been reading this thread and seeing how you respond to any "negativity." You obviously have a rock-bottom certainty that things are going to work out, investing in a Rust Belt ghetto portfolio from across the country. I have absolutely nothing to gain by discouraging someone like you, especially someone with the same kind of pure and perfect faith in an investing strategy that a priest has in Christ.

    I have repeatedly tried in my BP posts, however, to bear witness to the realities of what it's like in my target area, working as a self-managing, DIY, low-income landlord in low-cost properties. I'm not fully a member of the $30K group in my portfolio, but close enough. I've done pretty well with these properties. I do not like to pat myself on the back about it in an open forum such as this website. I do not do this because I have a healthy fear of identity theft, and hiding with pride is also part of my long-term strategy of never looking even remotely comfortable financially in my community.

    It is definitely possible to make money in the sub-$30K market, Stuart, I'll say it again. Real estate in this niche can certainly be a wealth-building strategy. I know at least six individuals in my area (both off this website and on it), who are making a good go of it in different areas of this city. One of my inspirations in this, before he got out, was actually one of Mr. Rogers' set carpenters, an immigrant to this country who took his self-taught skills and built a portfolio worth millions in my area. My grandfather did much the same thing in Queens, NY, many years ago. As a ship's maintenance carpenter, he was able to buy old rowhouses in Astoria, NY, renovate them himself, and rent them out for decades. After he died early, my mom's family managed to lose most of the money...but that's another story for another day.

    I got into this with a low-income teaching job that could not possibly make us enough money to get to any sort of financial independence in our lifetimes. My wife is a certified nursing assistant. Again, far from the big bucks. Getting into low-income rentals was not a choice we made from a position of financial strength. I knew I was switching one job for another. This is one of the reasons why I repeatedly tell people that if they have different options, not to choose this one. Low-income landlording in C/D-class SFR and small multifamily wasn't the lever I would have pulled to get to financial freedom, given a choice.

    The things I did have were the beginnings of a good hands-on renovation background acquired while I was teaching overseas, an understanding of the basic outlines of the business inherited from my family, a willingness to work hard with my hands, a strong research background to learn a lot of things by myself, a deep disdain for the rat race, and a wife who believed in me. I needed all that, and still do, to keep the ball rolling.

    Stuart, I estimate I've got maybe eight more years of this before I have enough to call it quits, sell my current portfolio, and move the money to something less profitable and less of a job.  It's been a wild ride since I bought the first rental in 2013. I think I'm going to make it, even if the economy goes belly up. As you rightly observed earlier in this thread, low-income landlords are often far less negatively affected by recession than others. They just have to have enough coming in from various sources and not be undercapitalized.

    We've seen much more on-paper appreciation already than I bargained for, but that's because I both got VERY lucky and I also made some solid strategic decisions based on information I gained by compulsive research into a possible target area. It could all evaporate tomorrow. But for now, I'm taking advantage of this appreciation to leverage my business a bit more, but nowhere near as hard as I've seen others do, buying houses with credit-card introductory no-interest offers, flipping debt from one card to the next, promising family members YUGE returns and stiffing them with a shrug, taking on massive debt and properties that don't cash flow in the false certainty that they'll just HAVE to appreciate someday.

    Yet again, it's possible. We're living proof (so far). Focusing only on the success stories, however, also ignores the very real problem of not looking realistically at a problem because of survivorship bias. I also happen to know the stories of multiple families who have failed miserably doing this. To date, I've bought three rental properties from people like this. The guy who sold me my first property is still my wife's friend. We meet regularly to have coffee. We pay for the coffee. He lives in a Section 8 apartment on SSI. His divorced wife is in a dementia care facility down in Florida. I could tell you more but you get the basic picture.

    I know absolutely NO ONE in my area who has made it work in these low-cost properties from a distance and/or with clean hands. These people get screwed six ways from Tuesday. They get screwed by tenants with built-up resentments against high-and-mighty landlords they've never met. They get screwed by fly-by-night property managers who harbor no love for out-of-towners and their outlandish ways. They get screwed by local authorities who dislike long-distance slumlords. They get screwed by contractors. They get screwed A LOT by contractors. They get screwed ALL THE TIME by contractors.

    All that being said, Stuart, if this is what you want, good luck to you. Citius, altius, fortius, per angusta ad augusta, aut inveniam viam aut faciam, δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω, you gotta want it more than life, impossible is nothing, YOLO.

  • Rental Property Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 548 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Randy H.:

    @Ashley Hamilton

    You obviously are on the right path. The same path I'd like to get to. As a newbie I could truly look up to you and respect your efforts and advice. I'm really happy to see and hear about your success. Maybe I can bounce some ideas off of you, in hopes of getting to the top too. You have a lot to be proud of.

    I want to do this the honest and legal way too, and won't have it any other way. Good luck. Way to go!

     Thanks! Anything I can do to help, let me know.

  • Rental Property Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 548 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bryan Vincent:

    @Ashley Hamilton where did you find the funding to make the renovations?

     Saving the rents from other properties. Last year I purchased and rehabbed two properties off my credit cards. Hope this helps.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.