RV Park/Campground Startup

RV Park/Campground Startup

Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Does someone have a checklist for starting or developing an RV park?

The property is owned free and clear and in a prime location. So don't have to worry about land. It would be nice to have a blueprint to follow. 

Thank you! 

0Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Location Independent · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 19 votes
7y

@Mehul Shah would you mind sending me a map? I’m curious how 31 spots on 2 acres is laid out.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Middleville, MI · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Austin Jacobsen did you get any information? I’m interested as well.

  • Investor · Houston TX/ Syosset, NY · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Austin Jacobsen hey Austin, I have a fully operational RV Park in Pasadena TX under contract, right outside of Houston. It is a 31 site park that sits on approx 2 acres and is in pristine condition. Many capital improvements recently made to the property including new paved roads, Welcome Center with laundromat, and ADA compliant bathrooms. All units have full hook ups, 30 or 50 amp. Being offered at a 8% cap, but lots of room to increase rents and reduce expenses. Can easily be re-positioned to yield 10-12% returns. I am asking $1,325,000. Please let me know if you or someone you know are interested.

  • Investor · Location Independent · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Mehul Shah would you mind sending me a map? I’m curious how 31 spots on 2 acres is laid out.

  • Investor · CO · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    Hey Austin. Did you ever get your park built? I'd be curious to chat with you about it either way, to learn what worked, or to see if I can support you in getting it through.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    @Austin Jacobsen there are companies who specialize in this area. I’ve lived full time in an rv & analyzed many options. You’re on to something big!

  • Joe SchultzPro Member
    Marble Falls, TX · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    Hi Austin,

    Did you develop your property into a RV Park?

    I âm at the point of starting to develop a Park. If you have any information on developing one, I would like to hear about it.

    Thank you, Joe Schultz 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Joe Schultz

    The property is still vacant, but at this point I’m going to do a small luxury mobile home park. However, I did learn a lot, and may do it in the future. Let me know if you want to talk.

  • Orting, WA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Austin Jacobsen Congrats on keeping the development going. It can be a lot of work.

    @Joe Schultz I am developing a park as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

    Good luck,

    Daren

  • Joe SchultzPro Member
    Marble Falls, TX · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    Hi Darren,

    How is going with developing your RV Park?

    I have been getting prepared and at the door but have not took the plunge yet. I have a accurate drawing now but there are some trees I would have to remove and I think I need to re draw again so I can keep the trees. 

  • Orting, WA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Joe Schultz It is going pretty well. The governing bodies are working a lot slower than I would prefer but overall it is going well. We are finishing up the civil drawings and I would hope to have the permit in hand by late fall/early winter but might not break ground until next summer. Negotiating some of the GFC and improvement district fees as this will be the first RV park in the city limits.

    I agree on trying to keep the trees.


    How long do you anticipate it will take from the time you fill out the application with the city/county/state until the time you have an approval? 

  • Joe SchultzPro Member
    Marble Falls, TX · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    I have not developed the rv park, my septic installer suggested waiting since I prices have increased so much.

    how about your project?

  • Orting, WA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    4y

    @Joe Schultz Hi. Well, I am sure this is an all too uncommon issue. I have not received my shovel ready permit in my hand as of today. I am hoping to have it by October. Of course there is nothing guaranteed but that is my hope. If I receive it by the end of September I might be able to build this year. If not, it might need to be pushed back due to weather in our area.

    All of my prices have increased but I can still make the numbers work.

  • Orting, WA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    4y

    @Austin Jacobsen Did you get your mobile home park built out? 

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Joe Schultz do you mind if I ask who your septic installer is?  We are planning a park expansion in San Antonio.

  • Joe SchultzPro Member
    Marble Falls, TX · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    @John Sharpstene

    Brian Porter he's out of Burnet. small company a good guy

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Joe Schultz do you mind if I ask who your septic installer is?  We are planning a park expansion in San Antonio.

    Thanks @Joe Schultz , let us know when you get started!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Has anyone here developed a park in Arizona, namely near Flagstaff or Williams?

  • Developer · Cottonwood, AZ · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 21 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tiffany Jennings:

    Has anyone here developed a park in Arizona, namely near Flagstaff or Williams?


     Check out: https://livesmall.net/ a new tiny house community in Flagstaff. I'm not associated with it, but I'm in Cottonwood/Verde Valley and love tiny houses and RV parks. I'd love to chat. 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    @Dave Meyers Thank you for the feedback and site. We've now side-stepped this idea for the moment. Everything I read mentioned the time it takes to get through the permitting process. As well as the heavy expense that I don't think is what we really need right now. We've gone back to our multifamily plan. Thank you though!

  • Realtor · Western Montana · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    @Daren Jones 

    @Joe Schultz

    @Austin Jacobsen

    Hello, my family and I are just about to be approved for our RV development in western Montana. 50 lots that are going to be for sale/owned, and 30 that will be available for rent. Any information on HOA/CCRs or how to run an RV park much appreciated :)

    I'd love to connect!

  • Orting, WA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    @Melissa Libby Hi and congratulations! That is really exciting, where in western MT? 

    I want to make sure I understand this correctly. It will be an 80 space RV park, 50 of the RV spaces will be sold as individual parcels and you will keep 30 RV spaces on one parcel to rent out? There are some variants of this model in WA and other places where you purchase a "membership" but you don't own the parcel, similar to an equity golf club membership. Then you pay monthly or annual dues for water, maintenance etc...

    If you are doing either model for the 50 spaces you are selling then you can decide on almost any CCR's you want and can create the HOA and its manager, fees, etc...

    Will you be renting the 30 spaces you retain out as transient or non-transient? 

  • Orting, WA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    @Joe Schultz I thought I would give you an update for the latest here in WA on the RV park. It looks like we will end up with 62 spaces. Just about ready (yes, I said this two years ago) for the permit. Really hoping to have the permit in hand this summer. Yes, construction costs have gone up and our GFC fees are out of control (in my opinion) but it should still pencil.

    Did you break ground on your park? 

  • Developer · Missoula MT · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 84 votes
    3y

    @Melissa Libby I can share what I've got for CCR and HOA information, you can message me direct for that.

  • Realtor · Western Montana · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daren Jones:

    @Melissa Libby Hi and congratulations! That is really exciting, where in western MT? 

    I want to make sure I understand this correctly. It will be an 80 space RV park, 50 of the RV spaces will be sold as individual parcels and you will keep 30 RV spaces on one parcel to rent out? There are some variants of this model in WA and other places where you purchase a "membership" but you don't own the parcel, similar to an equity golf club membership. Then you pay monthly or annual dues for water, maintenance etc...

    If you are doing either model for the 50 spaces you are selling then you can decide on almost any CCR's you want and can create the HOA and its manager, fees, etc...

    Will you be renting the 30 spaces you retain out as transient or non-transient? 


     We are located in Polson, Montana, right south of Flathead Lake. About an hour south of Glacier National Park. And yes that's correct! The 30 or so will be transient lots.


    Best of luck!

  • Orting, WA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    3y

     @Melissa Libby Beautiful area! My mom was born and raised in St Ignatius.

    Are you in the city limits of Polson? They might have some additional requirements...? 


    Regarding the 30 transient, I don't believe you will need CCR's or an HOA. You will most likely be going off "rules" for the transient crowd, i.e. quiet time, age of RV, max. number of cars, check in/out time, etc...

    Very exciting!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.