How do I handle looking to young?

How do I handle looking to young?

Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 14 votes

I’m 24, I’ve just graduated college about a year ago, and I am just getting into real estate. One issue that has become a hinderance more than I’d like to admit is the fact that I look so young. Most people say I look anywhere from 17-18, and I feel that looking so young can affect my credibility. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could handle/ deal with/ leverage/ etc. the fact that I look so young? Thank you.

7Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Long Island NY · Member since 2019 · 133 posts · 104 votes
7y

When I was a bit younger than you, I was a stock broker on wall street, in NY. I was able to talk people into investing their IRA and Money Market accounts with me. If you know what you are doing, confidence exudes without trying to hype it up. Have your facts and NUMBERS right, build rapport and close the deal.

If you are chasing the right lists, this could even be your advantage (looking so young). 

See this reply in the discussion

85 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez another thing that worked for me is use the phone to build your credibility before meeting people in person. I’ve hired numerous contractors, realtors bankers etc who could tell I was serious about the business we were doing before they saw my face. Then when they meet you they always say something about how much younger you are than they thought you’d be.

    Of course now I’m about to turn 40 and it’s not much of an issue anymore.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I started at 20. The fact that I can grow a beard probably helps. 

    Just act professional, be punctual, and build rapport. Most people don't care. 

    This is a limiting belief you have about yourself that you need to get over. 

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Curse of the baby face. It's a real thing. People are vain and judge others by their face, then like to pretend they don't.

    From one baby face to another, you will fight this until you are so old it wont matter.

    I don't use a razor, buzzer only. Though that only works for peeps that can grow a full beard.

    The best and only thing you can do is know your stuff.

    Work on your writing skills for starters.

    For example, the grammar in your thread title is off. Let me show you. 

    "How do I handle looking to young?" - Society handles it by throwing pedophiles in jail.

    "How do I handle looking too young?" - Act like an adult and be an expert in your trade.

  • Midland, TX · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 75 votes
    7y

    The guy I purchased my life insurance policies from was young. Gave me confidence because I was young too and it showed me that young people had life insurance.

    It was that fact that got me interested in a whole life policy.

    Looking young is an asset. Dress well, appear professional, you'll do great.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 575 posts · 496 votes
    7y

    Im 38 and I still can't grow a beard LOL.  Started my first brokerage at 24 and learned real quick there are sharks out there trying to take advantage of anyone and everyone they can.  Back then I figured out a few things that helped immensely.  

    • Align yourself with experienced and established investors, business owners etc.  (be confident but humble..  willing to hustle)
    • Technology.  Older people are always behind the curve.  ***Biggest business advantage ever. 
    • More energy.  Out work them.  
    • Ok with taking risks.  You're young, try something huge.  
    • Think outside the box.  Old dogs just do the same old tricks...    

    In other words..   You are young, energetic, smart, handsome, etc etc..     and you think you are at some kind of disadvantage?  Ha!   you've got the biggest and best 10 years ahead of you.  go kill it..    

  • Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 235 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez

    You can handle looking young by being competent. You know who cares how you look if you’re killing it at your job? No one. It’s a non issue. If you look young and act like you have no idea what you’re doing...the problem isn’t how you look.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 109 votes
    7y

    It's only an issue if you make it one. Think of those who cant change the fact they are a minority or a woman. If you outwork your competitors, soak up knowledge constantly, network like hell, and offer a best in class client experience, age will never come up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez

    I just open my mouth and start talking the talk, then walking the walk. I let my actions speak for myself. Biology says the young will always replace the old. Don’t feel discouraged, once you start making it people will take you seriously.

  • Real Estate Broker · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 196 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    I started at 22. I know exactly what you mean and went through it for a while. The best thing you can do is study and learn. Pick a niche and be the absolute best. You can't get more experience than the competition but you can surely outsmart them. Show that you not only know what you're doing, but can teach something. I'd flip it and use this as an opportunity to get onto someone's 30 under 30 list.

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2018 · 565 posts · 356 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Vasquez:

    I’m 24, I’ve just graduated college about a year ago, and I am just getting into real estate. One issue that has become a hinderance more than I’d like to admit is the fact that I look so young. Most people say I look anywhere from 17-18, and I feel that looking so young can affect my credibility. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could handle/ deal with/ leverage/ etc. the fact that I look so young? Thank you.

     Well,

    Don't try to be something you're not, fake it 'till you make it won't get you very far in this business. Accept that you're young, you look young, you have no credibility and you have no leverage.

    From this place of honesty and transparency make your intentions known to whoever you're dealing with. 

    Wear a suit, have good grooming and know your stuff cold. Create a teacher student dynamic between everyone you work with. Older people love to mentor young people, in fact they can't help themselves even if it's unsolicited. Play into this dynamic. THAT is your leverage my friend. 

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Farmington, UT · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez have you read ‘Real Estate Riches’ by Dolf de Rooz? It’s a rich dad book and it’s phenomenal. He talks about this same issue. Said he looked 12 when he left college!

  • Specialist · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2018 · 159 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez

    Capitalize on it.

    Build it into who you are... your branding...

    “I may look young, but there’s a reason why people choose me over the others.”

    “I may look young, but I have the most ambition.”

    “I may look young, but I’m the hungriest.”

    It makes you look powerful to acknowledge what’s so rather than defend it and then use the opportunity to tell people who you really are.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 893 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez

    1. Run a virtual business where you operate primarily over the phone/online. It's the new way anyways.

    2. Grow a beard.

    3. Get glasses.

    4. Start smoking cigars. It'll make your voice all nasty and old sounding.

    5. Sleep less. Bags are all the fashion.

    Ok 2-5 are a joke (ish, maybe some validity to them). I don't necessarily agree with the sport coat thing. If you look like a young dude in normal dress, you're just going to look like a young dude who borrowed dad's jacket in a sport coat. You don't need to try and seem less young. I would recommend that you become extremely informed and articulate in your profession- so much so that you could not be dismissed for your youth. You can be of an expertise and maturity level that far exceeds your appearance or legal age. 

    Get after it.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 303 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez

    Grow a beard! That's what I did when I was "too young to be taken seriously"

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez I relate so much with this. I’m 20 and it really takes the air out of a listing appointment when they say something like “gah your still a baby” in the middle of a walk through. but I literally let it go through one ear and out the other. Once we get to talking about the subject of real estate knowledge is the biggest boost for me. It can take them from wow he’s so young to wow he’s so young but he knows his ****. If they want to linger on your age it’s not even. A client worth your time.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez know your stuff better than anyone.  They will forget what you look like very quickly. 

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    People tend to get fatter and hairier over time. So I'd suggest that you put some weight on and grow out some facial and/or body hair.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez you poor thing, I will pray for you, what a cross you bare 🤣🤣🤣

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Grow a beard

    Color your hair grey

  • Investor · Biddeford, ME · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 180 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Vasquez:

    I’m 24, I’ve just graduated college about a year ago, and I am just getting into real estate. One issue that has become a hinderance more than I’d like to admit is the fact that I look so young. Most people say I look anywhere from 17-18, and I feel that looking so young can affect my credibility. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could handle/ deal with/ leverage/ etc. the fact that I look so young? Thank you.

     Make up for it by learning everything you can!

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 416 posts · 396 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez I’m 25.  before I grew my beard I looked like a 12 year old Justin Bieber wannabe.  I know a kid fresh out of high school who just purchased his first investment property.    Save for hygiene, don’t take looks into consideration.  You have a plan.  I don’t care if God himself descends from heaven to try to stop you.  Surround yourself with rockstars, learn everything you can, and conduct yourself professionally.  Nothing can get in your way.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Santa Ana CA [South Coast Metro] · Member since 2016 · 459 posts · 202 votes
    7y

    I ask the opposite question, what can I do to not look so old.

    People only care about what you can do for them. They also dont care what you know until they know you care.

    So be sincere and open to listening and solving their problems.

    You younger kids remind me when I was younger and was more aggressive. I look at the younger group of agents or investors and they seem to be more savvy and know more.

    I remember working on fixers when I was 15. I was managing commercial properties when I was 24 so just keep learning and once you are confident that you know stuff it wont really matter. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Beavercreek OH · Member since 2018 · 422 posts · 970 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Vasquez:

    I’m 24, I’ve just graduated college about a year ago, and I am just getting into real estate. One issue that has become a hinderance more than I’d like to admit is the fact that I look so young. Most people say I look anywhere from 17-18, and I feel that looking so young can affect my credibility. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could handle/ deal with/ leverage/ etc. the fact that I look so young? Thank you.

     Do a few flips with new contractors.  That should put some age on you real quick.

    Seriously just be you. People will respect you for your maturity and drive.  Those who won't shouldn't matter to you at all.

  • Piscataway New Jersey · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez hey Alexander, I’m 19 and personally I think being as young as we are is the biggest bonus there is. As long as you do your homework and present yourself in a way that’s professional people will take you seriously. If you seem childlike people will treat you childlike. I think more people want to work with young excited energetic investors more than they’d want to work with someone older from my limited experience. Just keep bettering yourself and do your best to come off as a professional in your field and you’ll be treated as such

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez just know your stuff and nobody will care. I have a good buddy that looks 12. He know owns 12 single familys and a profitable business. It's all in your head man, just show you're competent and stop caring what other people think.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.