How do I handle looking to young?

How do I handle looking to young?

Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 14 votes

I’m 24, I’ve just graduated college about a year ago, and I am just getting into real estate. One issue that has become a hinderance more than I’d like to admit is the fact that I look so young. Most people say I look anywhere from 17-18, and I feel that looking so young can affect my credibility. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could handle/ deal with/ leverage/ etc. the fact that I look so young? Thank you.

7Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

Long Island NY · Member since 2019 · 133 posts · 104 votes
7y

When I was a bit younger than you, I was a stock broker on wall street, in NY. I was able to talk people into investing their IRA and Money Market accounts with me. If you know what you are doing, confidence exudes without trying to hype it up. Have your facts and NUMBERS right, build rapport and close the deal.

If you are chasing the right lists, this could even be your advantage (looking so young). 

See this reply in the discussion

85 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Hi Alexander,

    You can't change who you are, you'll just have to age into it as you can.

    Although you might want to try dressing professionally. 

    Like a nice sport coat from JC Pennys, something dark and conservative.

    You don't ever ever see kids wearing something like that.

    Good Luck!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Scott Mac that’s great advice! It’s something I hadn’t considered. I know carrying myself like someone who is confident in what I am talking about can go a long way, but I hadn’t considered how my attire could affect my credibility.

  • Hardin County, KY · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 145 votes
    7y

    I would look and talk as professional as you can.  I would also have very organized paperwork.  Be prepared look up what a bank or realtor or whoever you will be meeting with will be looking for. You want a realtor to take you serious have a preapproval letter from a bank and a clear idea of what you are looking for. You want a bank to take you serious look up what banks need to service a loan and have it all neat in a binder or folder prior to talking to them and bring it all in with you. You want a fellow investor to take you serious listen to them and don't act like you know everything but know what your talking about as much as possible. And don't be ashamed or feel insignificant just because you are young. Alot of people will actually be impressed and help you out more than you think. Anytime you say you're going to do something, do it!  Never be late to anything. You will be fine don't stress. If someone isn't taking you serious, you don't want to be working with them anyways.

  • Long Island NY · Member since 2019 · 133 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    When I was a bit younger than you, I was a stock broker on wall street, in NY. I was able to talk people into investing their IRA and Money Market accounts with me. If you know what you are doing, confidence exudes without trying to hype it up. Have your facts and NUMBERS right, build rapport and close the deal.

    If you are chasing the right lists, this could even be your advantage (looking so young). 

  • Long Island NY · Member since 2019 · 133 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez. Spend sometime on Youtube and watch Tony Robbins and Jordan Belfort 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @David Espinosa that’s invaluable advise. What I got from that was: stay organized, and informed, but also stay humble and do what you say. I really appreciate that! I’m definitely going to incorporate that into how I do my investing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez your experience is way more important than your age. 

    Just get your hustle muscle on 💪 and people will gladly do business with you.

    At 24 years old you are probably more energetic and optimistic than most.

    Get educated and be so good that people have to pay attention.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez

    Don’t let your age or looks hold you back! My husband and I got into this 7 years ago at 23 and he still looks like a teenager :)

    Dress professionally, know your stuff. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, then do your research. Get a mentor to help you early on! That made a huge difference to me. The more confident I felt the easier it was to do business, and it was super helpful to have someone you’re comfortable asking questions to in a private setting. I started in residential real estate so my mentor was a seasoned agent at our brokerage. Good luck!!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Be confident and educated.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Shaun James That's encouraging. I like your point about not hyping up confidence. I've watched and listened to quite a bit of Tony Robbins stuff, but I've never heard of Jordan Belfort. I'll have to check him out!

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    7y

    I agree with @Scott Mac , dress professionally...I have several contacts,  RE Agents, that are your age and look as young, they dress real sharp in suits and ties and conduct themselves like pros. 

    Also, the reason I cultivate relationships with younger agents, is they are hungrier and will work harder and are not just going through motions or waiting only for deepest pocket whales, they are just starting to build their networks of investors. You should point this out to potential clients/investors/partners, your clients will be your top priority and you will crawl through mud, scale barbed wire fences, go behind enemy lines and do whatever it takes, if they work with you...it's part of the reason the larger well established brokers always have a stable of young agents, youthful enthusiasm!

    As for credibility, your best way to build that is with good communication(listen more than you talk), knowledge of larger economic factors, and knowledge of  your specific market or niche, being highly ethical, and being highly motivated. Lastly, despite your age or youthful appearance...it will take time, hang in there and best of luck!

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    There is a quote in the movie, Boiler Room. I am not going to direct quote as it is inappropriate for this forum, but  "Act as if. You understand what that means? Act as if you are the President of this firm." The quote goes on from their, but certainly not going to share here.

    The main point of this quote is to walk and talk with confidence. Don't let anyone think you are anything but an expert in the field and someone that should be taken serious.  Something else to consider is dress successful too. It doesn't have to be a suit and tie, but dress nice. Go to your local mens clothing store that is not Jos A Bank or the Mens Warehouse.  Something along Brooks Brothers.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    you don't say what your going to do in real estate it makes a difference.

    Myself I got my RE license at 18 and my brokers at 20..  But I knew how to sell and close.

    now granted I sold land and ranch's so dress was jeans etc with boots for walking through the brush and such.

    But its really sales skills and techniques that are critical and I was taught by some of the best land men of their day.

    You had to take control from the first words out of your mouth.. if you are not controlling the conversation and the presentation you wont be a closer and closers is what U need to be if you want to make any money.

    I suspect that goes for wholesaling which many of you guys are trying to do however which is MUCH tougher than just selling real estate you either own or is on MLS.

    Good luck.. but looks will not play into this.  I work with all sorts of 20 somethings funding their deals .. If they know what they are doing and talk with respect and not a bunch of slang then I will help them.  Also I don't like Text messaging.. and they must and I mean MUST answer their phone and use DocuSign. no DocuSign no deal from me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez put on about 40 pounds, grow a beard and go bald. Then you’ll look 40. Problem solved.

    Assuming you don’t want to do that, just learn a lot and act knowledgeable. I’m about your age and most People think I’m older

  • Arlington, VA · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 100 votes
    7y

    All these people talking about dressing the part and wearing suits... how often are you going suited up business meetings in real estate that you think it would matter what you wear?? I'm genuinely curious here. What are the specific circumstances where someone would care what you look like and wearing a suit would have a material impact on the outcome?

    To the OP @Alexander Vasquez, I got started not much older than you, and literally nobody cared what I looked like.  Hell, most of the 'team' I worked with - broker, GC, loan officer, etc. - I have literally never met in person.

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2017 · 584 posts · 813 votes
    7y

    Buy a beat up work truck and grow a beard out. You‘ll look the part. I should really update my picture.

  • Contractor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    I suggest don't play any part. It doesn't matter how old you are or look. Read and study and learn by taking action and learning life lessons.  Know your trade which is Real Estate and know the ins and out as much as you can. Your knowledge and on the field experience will shine through, people are in it to make money. Not stare at your baby face lol. 

  • Great Falls, MT · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 172 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez

    I can totally relate (not anymore unfortunately), but I bought my first duplex when I was 21. I’m 5’1”, female, and soft-spoken.

    It was an issue on many occasions when I fIrst started. I actually had two dIfferent tenants “tell their parents on me” when I didn’t give the whole deposit back. Their parents called me like I was a child; demanding I give the money back 😂.

    Needless to say, it didn’t work. And I learned how to be firm and stand my ground VERY quIckly. I also learned the laws, made sure I did everything by the book, and covered all my bases. If you act professional and are educated in all ways, people will be more likely to take you seriously.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez I had a friend who grew a beard to combat this situation. But one thing I noticed more then anything as I am still young and that of younger a acquaintance is that they have tendencies that they aren’t remotely aware of. I assure you it has very little to do with your looks although looks probably aren’t helping. I assure you it has everything to do with everything else. Just keep educating yourself, keep becoming more self reliance and the better you do at that, I guarantee you it won’t be as much as a “hinderance” as you suspect it is. Granted some people will still use your age or your being “green” against you and that will never change. But comes pros and cons of it and comes pros and cons of being experienced and set in your ways.

    Good luck buddy.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez not only was I once super young for a job that required much experience and were occupied by people that were much older but I also will probably loook young even when I do get older. Trust me it’s all in your head. Put down the beer, put down the Netflix and start reading and feel your insights coming to you. No one can take that away from you

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez know your ISH! If you look as young as your knowledge / understanding then you have something to worry about. But if you can converse with even the oldest/wisest of them... Don't worry about how young you look.

    Just yesterday (Monday), I just got a ride along with an 80+ yr husband and wife who gave me a tour of all their "residential" properties in the Montrose area of Houston (we briefly discussed the commercial properties they're selling too).

    They introduced me to their mentally challenged son, showed me pictures of their other "personal bay home and boat," and even showed me pictures of their friends $20 million boat with bedroom chambers for the Captain and crew...

    Know yo ISH!

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Start here:

    https://www.grammarly.com/blog/to-too/

    If this is truly a problem and you have real deals, hire an attorney to negotiate and close them.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 176 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez

    Drink a lot, stay out late, dont sleep, stress out over everything, and have kids.

    Soon you will look old and wise! 😂

    Jk man! Let them know as soon as you open your mouth that you know what you're talking about. You'll get respect in no time.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Frequently in life, you have to take stock of the things you worry about and realize that some of them you can't control and some of them only matter to shallow people of little worth. The fact that the world is filled with these shallow people of little worth is one of those things that you cannot control. Continue doing your best, be honest and professional and hardworking, and if that's not good enough for someone they can go do whatever to themselves and it's not your problem.

  • Real Estate Coach · Member since 2018 · 245 posts · 216 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Vasquez I don't know about you but I came into real estate because I wanted to generate income  while being able to say what I want, wear what I want and call shots. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.