Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 14 votes
I’m 24, I’ve just graduated college about a year ago, and I am just getting into real estate. One issue that has become a hinderance more than I’d like to admit is the fact that I look so young. Most people say I look anywhere from 17-18, and I feel that looking so young can affect my credibility. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could handle/ deal with/ leverage/ etc. the fact that I look so young? Thank you.
Long Island NY · Member since 2019 · 133 posts · 104 votes
7y
When I was a bit younger than you, I was a stock broker on wall street, in NY. I was able to talk people into investing their IRA and Money Market accounts with me. If you know what you are doing, confidence exudes without trying to hype it up. Have your facts and NUMBERS right, build rapport and close the deal.
If you are chasing the right lists, this could even be your advantage (looking so young).
Developer · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
7y
Gosh... I completely understand this dilemma! I actually have a bit of experience and I STILL struggle with this, even 11 years later. People think I look twelve AND being a women in construction might be just as bad. There's a few things a do:
1. Try not to care. At all. If someone is really concerned about your age they are a know-it-all and why would you want to work with someone who doesn't respect you based on age alone? Move on to another relationship, you'll be happier and thankful you did.
2. When someone has enough balls to ask your age (let's be honest, the question alone is them trying to insult you), I tell them I'm happy to reveal my youth if they are willing reveal how old they are first.
3. Be confident, if age is brought up turn it positive. You're young, motivated, educated and have a fresh outlook bringing new ideas and creative value! I'd rather work with a person with their ears and mind open than a person who is a know-it-all blinded by age and not open to opportunities.
Bottom line, don't care and be confident and proud of your age and where you're at. Anyone who can't respect you doesn't deserve the value you bring!
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
It's all about the vibe. I am 27 and 4th highest producer out of over 100 agents at my firm who are mostly older then me.
P.S As stated above in posts lots of people want to work with younger professionals as we are more likely willing to work with first time buyers, etc. as you build a book of business.
Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 72 votes
7y
@Alexander Vasquez this is going to sound like a non-solution, but just be grateful to be in the position you’re in. You’re blessed to be starting early in life and your path is full of opportunity.
Real Estate Broker · MI · Member since 2014 · 594 posts · 183 votes
7y
@Alexander Vasquez I have the same problem you have, but I’m way older than you.
I look too young to be a Real Estate Broker and one that is skilled with real estate investments.
When I tell my actual age and what the requirements are to be a Broker people either believe me or they don’t. It’s silly really.
The minute someone questions my age let alone my credentials and skill level they are usually a waste of time.
Move on and work with people or opportunities that understand and recognizes the value you bring to the table.
Also, it’s crucial to properly VET out people/opportunities that fit your criteria. I can not stress that enough. If you go after everything, you will wonder where are all the opportunities.
Lastly, find a mentor and allow his or her years of experience to be yours. For example, if you were working with me, you could say, “My team and I have been investing in real estate for nine years.” Then quickly ask a question to your opportunity if they have been paying their mortgage on time and every time. It’s a way to challenge their credibility.
Realtor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 12 votes
7y
@Alexander Vasquez
Look the part! Be professional. Be confident - don’t worry how young you look ( people will notice).
For a little more advise- adapt to whomever you’re dealing with- if people your parents or grandparents age are always talking on the phone for business- do business with them that way, don’t text or email. If you’re dealing with people you’re own age- feel that out. I have clients prefer that sometimes. Just get out there and don’t worry!
Investor · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 46 votes
7y
You are who you are and people will either accept it or they won't. I walked into a bank with my toddler and his bin of toys wearing painting clothes (I had just gotten done painting and planned on finishing the job when I was done at the bank) and asked for a million dollars. After the banker stopped judging me and realized that I was serious and actually earned the right to ask for such an absurred thing (haha) he picked his jaw up off the floor and we got to work. People judge because of their own biases and I am NOT going to change my clothes to suit someone else' needs. I work hard. I. Work. Hard. Every. Single. Day. and I have no problem taking care of whatever business I need to with my son (he is always with me) or in my work clothes. Age was an issue for me awhile back too, but you grow into it. :) Good luck!!