Do I have to compromise numbers to house hack? Twin Cities MN

Do I have to compromise numbers to house hack? Twin Cities MN

Rental Property Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 26 votes

Hi all,

I'm very interested in house hacking a small multifamily (I currently live in a sfh and rent out another sfh). I'm conservative by nature and understand the statistics of having to sift through many homes, offers, and deals to the find the right one while sticking to my guns on my criteria. However the timing of my purchase is constrained by whenever my employer decides to move me back to MN in the spring. This will make me a "motivated purchaser" which I fear will force me into purchasing the "best deal I can find" compared to "the right deal."

I have 2 kids under 2, 2 60lb dogs, and a wife that doesn't see the glamour of living in a smf. As much as I want to be thrifty owner/investor, I also don't want to be "that tenant" to my neighbors nor put an undue strain on my family for purely financial reasons. I'm personally open to renting short term or even moving in with my parents for 1-2 months (the upside of having 2 grandkids they currently don't see often due to distance) but with a wife that hates moving once let alone twice in a 3 month period, I'm also hesitant going down this path.

Will I have to compromise on my numbers to make this work? Any suggestions or tips on making this work?

My unrealistic ideal scenario: find a vacant 2 or 3 unit smf that has one unit in decent shape. We move into that unit, I do the repairs personally on the others, move into one of the others to finish rehabbing the first unit, rent them all out and move on to the next home. I realize rehabbing myself isn't scaleable, but it helps mitigate my risk initially by keeping my capital investment down and the house hacking portion means my "investment holding costs" are minimal or 0 because they are absorbed into my primary living expenses.

0Reply
19 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    7y

    House hacking is inherently a compromise and you are trying to balance financial matters, convenience, and keeping a wife happy. It's NEVER easy.  But in order to do great things, sacrifices need to be made. Figure out if they make enough sense and go down that path. 

    I'm personally at the point that I'm willing to work longer/harder to ensure the happiness/comfort of my family. I've done that cost benefit and found it worthwhile. Do it for yourself.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    7y

    I own numerous rental properties and still live in the duplex I started house hacking 10 years ago. lt's helped fuel other purchases using the equity/HELOC on it. You have to start with one and try to be methodical.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Sevy Bialke this is certainly possible but it may take some time for you to find the right property which you have pointed out. I'd find somewhere to live short term until you find the right place for  you. I just sold a duplex to a contractor and his girlfriend that had lots of space, 3 car garage and a 3 season porch. It really felt like a house but happened to have a unit above it that will help offset their costs. It certainly is possible but it might take you 3-6 months and 2-7 offers to land the right place.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    7y

    @Sevy Bialke I don’t think you will need to take whatever is available. You should keep your wife happy and find a great suburban duplex that she will like.

    You may be able to to find one if you are open to different areas. Maybe have a bit more of a commute for a year, but there are plenty out there. If you are looking at getting a great deal, then yes you may be out of luck, but there are plenty of units that are valued correctly and while they are not the best deal ever certainly will be great investments into the future.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Moorhead Let me know if that duplex pops back up on the market ;) Appreciate the feedback!

    Thanks @Amber Gonion. I guess that was my point, was whether I should be willing to sacrifice the greatness of the deal for the timeliness of the deal. It is encouraging to hear your perspective.

    @Bruce Runn & @Nick Giulioni Thanks for the insight!

  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    7y

    Don’t hang on for a great deal, opportunity costs of not making a deal are also worth considering.   I have plenty of properties that investors passed on over a couple thousand dollars two years ago and they now are worth tens of thousands more.   

    For example clients that have waited for a few years for the right deal on a 150k property have lost $300/door after expenses  ($7200) plus principle pay down ($3700) and appreciation (approx 17k).   Even if you disagree with the numbers for appreciation and profit per door you need to see that waiting around for a great deal usually ends up being a poor choice. The deals will come along it’s usually best to already be on the train rather than waiting. 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Sevy Bialke we already have the closing scheduled. There are others out there. I help several people a month find them!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.