Hindsight is 20/20: Things I wish I did better

Hindsight is 20/20: Things I wish I did better

Attorney · Forest Hills, NY · Member since 2019 · 73 posts · 57 votes

Financial freedom. Like many of the biggerpockets members, this is the concept that first attracted me to real estate investing. I started off by searching for the top real estate investment books a newbie investor should read. After scouring the internet and browsing various lists, I noticed that several of the books were from the bigger pockets publishing company. I asked myself: “what the heck is Bigger Pockets?” After some additional research, I got my answer and was immersed into the bigger Pockets world.

Approximately one year ago I began listening to the BP podcast. It was a borderline obsession. I would listen to multiple episodes per day. Every story I heard fascinated and inspired me. I wanted to dive right in. Each episode opened my eyes to a new investment strategy. My over-eagerness certainly led me to make a few mistakes. Here are a few:

Mistake #1: Shiny new toy

As I’m sure many BP members know, there are dozens, if not hundreds of great ways to invest in real estate. It seems like the only limit is your imagination. This, to me, was a blessing and a curse. I couldn’t decide what to invest in. Every single episode opened my eyes to a new form of investing and everything sounded amazing. Every strategy I heard or read about was a shiny new toy. And, like an adolescent child, when I saw that toy, I wanted to play with it. Luckily I did not actually dive into multiple strategies whole heartedly.

In retrospect, I wish I would have dug deeper into a particular investment strategy and really worked the ins and outs. Before accepting or rejecting a particular investment strategy. After months of bouncing back and forth between investment strategies, I finally decided on a particular strategy: Turnkey Properties.

Mistake# 2: Lack of Patience

After deciding to purchase a property, the next step was to select a market. In the span of a few short weeks I decided on Memphis, TN. I came across many articles that praised Memphis as one of the hottest rental markets. I spent another Month or two researching turnkey companies, speaking with property managers, asking for referalss on BP, etc. I even managed to convince my fiancé to fly out to Memphis with me to interview a turnkey company and view various properties.

I think the trip to Memphis contributed to my lack of patience. Since we took a trip to Memphis, I felt like I needed to make a purchase, otherwise it would have been a waste. After viewing several properties, we decided to make a purchase on the one that looked the best. We ended up purchasing a 3 bedroom 1 bath. It is a nice home in a great neighborhood. However, my goal was to have a tenant in the home that would stay long term. I did not consider the fact that a 3 bedroom 2 bath would be far more amenable to this. I think this could have easily been a point of negotiation had I bothered to analyze comparable homes.

As I look back at my negotiation approach, I can’t help but wince. I made no effort to negotiate price. I took the terms as proposed and thought this is pretty much how it is. The asking price is the price, I have to pay closing costs and whatever other associated fees come with the purchase.

Mistake# 3: Lack of Due diligence

My fiancé and I closed on this property in September 2019. The property did not have a tenant at the time, but the company has a 90 rental guarantee that promises to pay rent if they cannot place a tenant at the time. Therefore, we weren’t too concerned. However, it is now February and the property is still vacant. After many phone calls and email exchanges, The company did start to honor their commitment of paying the rent and continues to do so until the tenant is placed. The issue is, that I’ve had to authorize a rent reduction of $100 in an attempt to make the property more attractive to renters. Although the rental guarantee allows us to receive the expected rent, that is only good for the first year. Afterwards, I am only entitled to what the rent is at the time.

When I was first running the numbers, I obviously factored in the rent that the company advertised at the time. Even with overestimating expenses, the initial ROI looked pretty good. It was one of the reasons I chose the property. However, I did not conduct my own analysis for market rate rent in that area. Even after my dad warned me that I should check to see what rent in the area was. I could have use this as leverage in negotiating the price or have avoided this deal altogether. I'm confident that the unit will eventually be rented. It's just disappointing that it won't be at the amount I initially used in my calculation, and it won't be for another 2-3 years.

Conclusion:

This was a brief overview of the numerous mistakes that I made in my first real estate deal. I realize that many others have made the same mistakes or made far worse. Additionally, I fortunate that I am still very early into my real estate journey and I have a full-time W-2 job that I actually enjoy so I don’t have the added pressure of desperation to leave. I hope this posts helps other newbie investors avoid the same mistakes I did and I hope to learn from the mistakes of others.

13Reply
104 views

Most Popular Reply

Olympia, WA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
6y

This is so helpful, Marky. Thank you. Good to see someone that other first time investors are looking outside their local area too (makes me feel as though I’m not being silly for thinking about it) and grateful for your insights on not being too hasty.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    @Marky Suazo great post, always interesting to learn about other out-of-state investors' adventures in Memphis. While I am sure you look back at some of these details and cringe, the important thing is that you can reflect positively and have a few good takeaways from the experience. 

    I am from the Boston area but I actually live in Hoboken now and invest in Memphis as well, maybe we could connect locally sometime to discuss our investing experiences in more detail!

  • Olympia, WA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    This is so helpful, Marky. Thank you. Good to see someone that other first time investors are looking outside their local area too (makes me feel as though I’m not being silly for thinking about it) and grateful for your insights on not being too hasty.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    @Marky Suazo thank you so much for your transparency I really appreciate it.

  • Attorney · Forest Hills, NY · Member since 2019 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    @Chris Boselli 

    Hi Chris, it seems like we're practically neighbors. I live in Jersey City. Like you said, I do look back and cringe at some of the mistakes I made, but I take comfort in the fact that I have learned from them.  I would certainly like to meet up sometime to discuss strategies. Shoot me a PM and we can connect.

    @Jade Bloomfield @Account Closed You're welcome! I hope my post provided some insight. There are a lot of mistakes to be made, and I just hope I can help others avoid the ones i made. 

    @Jade Bloomfield you definitely should not be discouraged at the thought of investing long distance, its definitely possible. Just make sure you do your homework. 

  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    This is great perspective! Thanks for sharing!

  • Olympia, WA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Thanks, @Marky Suazo!

  • Dean HarrisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Marky Suazo Thank you for sharing all of these details. This is really solid info for newbies that are OOS. There are several ways to buy in Memphis. The most important aspect to me is to trust your source. Trust what they are telling you and then ask them if they personally own any rentals in the area. This will help weed out sources that dont have a common interest as you!

    Best of Luck and I am sure we will touch base soon!

    CrestCore Realty4.713 Reviews
    View Page
  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thanks, Marky. This is a GREAT experience for you. Much like dating a horrible person and learning what to avoid moving forward. So don't be discouraged. I made a HUGE mistake with my second investment. It was a money pit for 10 years until we sold it last summer. But as a result, I was determined to find ways to make up for my loss. I was more savvy, determined, and eager than ever to make smart real estate decisions. I'm not a huge investor, but I have since bought five more properties and sold one of them. They range from breaking even (another lesson learned) to making $1k/month on a single residential rental. 

    I've often told people I am tremendously grateful for that first terrible deal. I am now doing well as a result of applying lessons learned from that mistake. 

  • Attorney · Forest Hills, NY · Member since 2019 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    @Catherine Lacey Thank you for sharing your story! I haven't let the lackluster 1st investment deter me. I am already looking into diving into my second investment.

  • Attorney · Forest Hills, NY · Member since 2019 · 73 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    @Dean Harris Thanks for the advice. I look forward to connecting. I haven't been completely deterred from the Memphis market. I think there's a great deal of potential there.

  • Investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Marky Suazo Thank you for your insight into your experience. It was very helpful as we are in contract to purchase our first turnkey property in Memphis as well. Curious, are you pursuing your second investment property with the same turnkey company?

  • Bay Area, CA · Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Thanks for sharing!!! 

  • Investor · Northern VA · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Marky Suazo Great post, thank you for sharing your experience.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Marky Suazo thank you for this insight. It’s very helpful for me as I consider my first deal.

    Don’t be discouraged though. By taking that first step and actually purchasing a property, look how much you learned! This is very valuable and will help going forward as you build your portfolio.

  • Investor · Middlesex, NJ · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Marky Suazo

    Thanks for this, there will always be mistakes but it’s how you learn from them that matters!

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Marky Suazo

    Thanks for sharing this, Marky!

    I am getting ready to purchase my first property as well and sitting down with the realtor company, they overestimated the rent price a home could go for in their analysis. I actually made my own spreadsheet analysis calculator so I can figure out worst case numbers.

    Patience is something I have been reminded in the post. I am EAGER to jump-in, but you’re right. I need to wait for the right place with my strategy.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 261 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    Great info to share with newer investors; hope they see it and thanks for sharing!

    I'm sure the property will work out for you in the end, but if they're having this much trouble getting it occupied, I'd find a new manager.  If the unit is really in an area like you're describing and is in a solid pocket, then it is unusual to be vacant that long, especially with the slow period over.  The new manager won't guarantee the rents most likely, but they'll get you a tenant I bet!

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.