The 7 Steps You Need to Get Started Investing In Real Estate

137 Replies

Hey folks - just wanted to share a video I put together for BiggerPockets. It's a 5 minute summary of the Ultimate Beginner's Guide- which if you haven't read yet - you can get here.

Click HERE to watch the video on YouTube!

(Don't click the photo below.. it's just meant to entice you to watch the movie!)

Which step are you on? Leave a comment in this thread and let me know what step you are in and which step you want most to master!

Great video, very instructive and straight to the point. Be sure to produce more of these, I will definitely be watching!

Great video Brandon!

Another thing to add -- if you're not sure what your niche should be, you can try different things. I determined my niche as "buy and hold in a 3 mile radius of my house" and a very specific one at that. But I've tried notes, I've tried a flip, and I've tried different types of purchases -- purchases from individuals, REOs, a short sale, and a Fannie Mae. You get a feeling of what you like best and what works the best. (I still don't feel educated enough to buy at sherriff's sales or buy out of state.)

Thanks Khang Vu - thanks so much! And yes, I'll be doing many more. I just bought a new camera to do this with!

And great advice, @Dawn A. ! It's true, I've moved around finally found a niche I'm happy with! Which is a great reason why people should do a lot of free internships or just helping out a landlord - to learn what they want and don't want to do!

Great video. I'm glad I found this site. It looks like there is quite a bit of information here and a lot of people more than willing to share their expertise.

Just what I need. I am in the learning phase right now. I made a commitment on Jan 1 to make a change from full-time employment to full-time investing...hopefully, by the end of the year. In my plan, I set Jan thru March as my initial learning or education phase (although I know the learning phase is forever ongoing). The purpose of that goal was to get a general idea of what to do and how to do it. I've learned a lot already; however, I still have a great deal to learn. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and am ready to start really getting to know our market here, start building a buyers list, and actually take the plunge and do something.

My husband and I have wanted to get into real estate investing for quite some time, and this is something that we can do together. My husband is a retired electrician and is really a jack of all trades. Not only can he do wiring, he can do plumbing, construction, and just about anything else, and ... he is very good at all of it. We've spent the last 5 years remodeling our house, and we did most of the work ourselves. With that said, I am confident that we can do very well with investing. Who knows what we can accomplish?

To start off with - I would say wholesaling is what we will focus on. Hopefully, that will give us some cash to start with. The next goal is 5 deals by the end of summer. Then ...we will reassess our plan and make another goal. How does that sound? Reasonable?

Thanks so much.

Nice steps but there is one thing you need first before all of this and that's the determination and passion to get into REI. If you don't have those than you're not going to have the drive to make it in real estate investing.

Hey @Mary P. welcome to BiggerPockets!! Thanks so much for the info, and I think your goals are excellent! Definitely jump into these forums and let us help you get there! This community is one of a kind, like nothing I've ever seen online!

1.) Check out our "Start Here" page
2.) Check out "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing."

Also - don't forget a photo!

And @James Hiddle I agree completely! You've got to commit, first thing. Nothing else matters if you don't have the passion and commitment!

@Mary P. I too share your same ambition...all be it without the direct access to someone who does handy work. I would really love to know of your progress as you thrive much how I desire to ascend within this field as well!!!

Very informative video. Thanks for sharing Brandon!
Will post to my FB page.

Raine

Great video, it made the information easy to understand!

Originally posted by Mary P.:
It looks like there is quite a bit of information here and a lot of people more than willing to share their expertise.

Just what I need. I am in the learning phase right now. I made a commitment on Jan 1 to make a change from full-time employment to full-time investing...hopefully, by the end of the year. In my plan, I set Jan thru March as my initial learning or education phase (although I know the learning phase is forever ongoing). The purpose of that goal was to get a general idea of what to do and how to do it. I've learned a lot already; however, I still have a great deal to learn. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and am ready to start really getting to know our market here, start building a buyers list, and actually take the plunge and do something.

I couldn't agree more! I have the same goal, and have a TON of "book knowledge". Each time I TRY to get out & find a deal, I find that either me not having ANY money, or bad credit puts the brakes on it!! I am SO ready to SUCCEED, to be my own investor, etc.

LOL, reminds me of that crazy science guy.....good job! good points! :)

@Brandon Turner , this is an awesome video -- I watched it the first day at Bigger Pockets and have been thinking -- I have to go watch that video again! Love your energy and I love all the podcasts too. You make it fun and un-intimidating. Thanks for the great site!

Good Job Brandon.. Love the end w/credits..lol

Dope video Brandon. I skimmed through the guide earlier this week, and plan on reading it tonite.

Thanks again for the support. After leaving the Fortune Builders event, I had know clue how I was going to get started.

Then, something told me to Google real estate investing, and BiggerPockets was one of the first sites that stuck out to me...

I've been reading articles, listening to podcast and on the forum since.

Keep it Wealthy,
Dhane

Hello Brandon,

Thanks for the great video. I am at step 2 / step 3. I currently believe that hold and buy of Multifamily 5+ units is what I ultimately want to do. However, I also believe I need to learn much more from first hand experience, plus generate more money in order to get there. Of course the journey will be the best part and you never know what I ultimately end up loving. I think that I will need to start with SFR due to the lower cost of entry and availability. I will likely do some wholesaling as I am sure I will come across many more deals that will work for others, but that I would not be in a position to take on. Right now I just need to narrow down on a neighborhood and area and get started learning the area and connecting with others in that area and just get going.

Thanks once again for a great video.

Jeff

@Brandon Turner thanks for the video! Love the enthusiasm. I'm figuring out what my niche and strategy is now but pretty sure it's multi family buy and hold. Got to get after this while I'm young!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here