How I retired at 30 years young! Questions to ask yourself.

How I retired at 30 years young! Questions to ask yourself.

Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 147 votes

First and format let me start out by saying everyones journey to retirement will be different. I feel a lot of people know this but do not take the time to self reflect on it. With that being said let get to it!

I started real estate investing back in OCT 2017 while I was still active duty enlisted scum in the United States Army. Sitting in Iraq on a deployment I had just sold my house the month prior and made 40k (lot of money to a E5 Sergeant at the time) I took that money along with some saving and bought a Cabin just outside of Gatlinburg TN for 71K cash and turned into an Airbnb. 10x the ROI for 4x the work of a long term rental I know now lol. When I got back from deployment I use my VA loan to buy a new construction quad and house hacked while I teamed up with a local GC and started flipping houses and got my Real Estate license in TN. While at a local meet up I met a now friend and teamed up with a guy he went to college with out of Nashville TN and did a joint venture to flip an out of state apartment complex just outside of Huntsville AL. All while getting promoted to Staff Sergeant and helping run a special operations communications team. Lets just say free time was not a thing!

Fast forward to Oct 2019 I was now out of the Army and a full time agent and investor! I had bought my neighbors Cabin in the smokies and did a full gut job and renovation on it to make my second Airbnb and also kept a SFH flip as a long term buy and hold to add to my portfolio. So at this point I have 7 investment doors. 2 Cabins 1 Quadplex and 1 SFH.

Now for the questions to ask yourself wether you have 1 door right now or 1,000 doors. Trust me I have a friends on both sides of the spectrum and happiness lies within yourself and not how many doors you have.

1) What is your money passive income number you want? Be realistic with yourself! I love asking people this question and have had answers from as little as $3,000 to as much $22,000 a month. Really dig into what you want to do with your time when you are in complete control of it. Factor in your monthly debit and all expenses associated with your portfolio. 

2) Once you reach your passive income number what are you going to do with your time? Now its super easy to answer this question quickly and rattle off all the cool stuff you plan to do but seriously take the time to think on this long term. What are you going to do 6 months into retirement then what does 5 years from that look like. 

This is just what worked for me and everyones situation is different. Some people have husbands, wives, kids, or even have taken on rolls they never thought they would. Regardless of where you live or who is in your life look at it as opportunity to grow and not as a set back. Your hardest critic is your brain and if you like to live comfortable and not push yourself mentally you probably won't retire till 60 if your lucky. Don't take action on everyones advice but always listen, they might have a different view on an investment strategy or know something that you can add to your tool belt. If I listened to everyone in my life I would not being writing this at 30 years old on a Wednesday afternoon in my house planing my next adventure!  Just remember don't get so caught up in the hum-drum you forget what you are working towards in life and your time. I truly hope this helps someone on here and by all means feel free to contact me if you think I can be of any help. PS: Don't feel bad if I take a few days/weeks to respond, I'm retired lol 

95Reply
236 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Centralia, WA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 85 votes
5y

Did you get called in to your Company Commander's or Battalion Commander's office for a reenlistment meeting?  Did they ask you those famous lines: "Well, what else are you planning to do?" "Who else is going to pay you this much without a college degree?" "Well, you got XX number of years in, you're only this XX number of years to retirement."  LOL

Good for you for having a plan after the military.  And doing it before getting out.  I've met many, many Soldiers who've had to stay in a little bit longer to "pay bills," "not ready to retire" (like you didn't see this coming a couple of years ago?), or take a job immediately.  After 20 or so years and/or multiple deployments, you would think they would have planned for this eventuality.  We all get out sooner or later.

Again, congrats!

See this reply in the discussion

66 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair love it!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 82 posts · 133 votes
    5y


    @Bryce Stclair Congrats, hoping to get to your level one day! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Great story!

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    5y

    Amazing. Thanks for sharing your story with you. It is very inspiring and motivating @Bryce Stclair

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair hell yeah, way to go brother!

  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, TN · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair Love hearing this. I am just south of Nashville and just re enlisted in the guard after being out for 8 years. Working on getting this same kind of plan in place on my end. First goal is VA loan a multi family unit property and house hack it!

  • Realtor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 255 posts · 118 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair

    Awesome story! Good questions to ask yourself, thanks for the tips.

  • Rental Property Investor · Centralia, WA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 85 votes
    5y

    Did you get called in to your Company Commander's or Battalion Commander's office for a reenlistment meeting?  Did they ask you those famous lines: "Well, what else are you planning to do?" "Who else is going to pay you this much without a college degree?" "Well, you got XX number of years in, you're only this XX number of years to retirement."  LOL

    Good for you for having a plan after the military.  And doing it before getting out.  I've met many, many Soldiers who've had to stay in a little bit longer to "pay bills," "not ready to retire" (like you didn't see this coming a couple of years ago?), or take a job immediately.  After 20 or so years and/or multiple deployments, you would think they would have planned for this eventuality.  We all get out sooner or later.

    Again, congrats!

  • Clarksville, TN · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Killing it brother! Great read!

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 147 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Avery Carl:

    @Bryce Stclair love it!!

    You were a huge help in all of this Avery!!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 147 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tim Rostro:

    Did you get called in to your Company Commander's or Battalion Commander's office for a reenlistment meeting?  Did they ask you those famous lines: "Well, what else are you planning to do?" "Who else is going to pay you this much without a college degree?" "Well, you got XX number of years in, you're only this XX number of years to retirement."  LOL

    Good for you for having a plan after the military.  And doing it before getting out.  I've met many, many Soldiers who've had to stay in a little bit longer to "pay bills," "not ready to retire" (like you didn't see this coming a couple of years ago?), or take a job immediately.  After 20 or so years and/or multiple deployments, you would think they would have planned for this eventuality.  We all get out sooner or later.

    Again, congrats!

    Tim this had me cracking up!! I sold my former Company and Battalion commanders houses when they PCS'ed and also my Retention NCOIC as well as sat down and helped some guys buy their first investments! Still don't have that college degree nor do I plan on getting one at this point.

    The biggest mistake I see if when guys are transitioning out is they are not looking at if they are going into a job thats 1099 or W2. I had my RE license 2 years prior to me getting out so I could use that income to offset DTI and fuel my investments and any loan I may want/need. It sounds you like have the right idea and best of luck on your real estate and financial freedom journey! If you haven't already check out ADPI (Active Duty Passive Income) I did podcast episode 99 with them and they are a great group of like minded people!

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 147 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steven Butler:

    @Bryce Stclair Love hearing this. I am just south of Nashville and just re enlisted in the guard after being out for 8 years. Working on getting this same kind of plan in place on my end. First goal is VA loan a multi family unit property and house hack it!

    Steven thats great to hear! Middle TN is booming and VA loan rates are great right now.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Thanks for sharing your story! This is very inspiring and it's great motivation to hear success stories. 

  • Lender · Okanagan, BC · Member since 2017 · 105 posts · 77 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair

    Very nicely done!!

  • Rental Property Investor · CO · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    Great post !! hopefully I can achieve at least one of my real estate goals while I am in the military. 

  • Michael RileyPro Member
    Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thank you for your service and congrats on your forward momentum.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair

    Thank you for your service!

    So what now? Sit home everyday and do nothing? Golf? Dinner at 4:30, bed at 8?

  • Rental Property Investor · Beavercreek OH · Member since 2018 · 422 posts · 970 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bryce Stclair:

    First and format let me start out by saying everyones journey to retirement will be different. I feel a lot of people know this but do not take the time to self reflect on it. With that being said let get to it!

    I started real estate investing back in OCT 2017 while I was still active duty enlisted scum in the United States Army. Sitting in Iraq on a deployment I had just sold my house the month prior and made 40k (lot of money to a E5 Sergeant at the time) I took that money along with some saving and bought a Cabin just outside of Gatlinburg TN for 71K cash and turned into an Airbnb. 10x the ROI for 4x the work of a long term rental I know now lol. When I got back from deployment I use my VA loan to buy a new construction quad and house hacked while I teamed up with a local GC and started flipping houses and got my Real Estate license in TN. While at a local meet up I met a now friend and teamed up with a guy he went to college with out of Nashville TN and did a joint venture to flip an out of state apartment complex just outside of Huntsville AL. All while getting promoted to Staff Sergeant and helping run a special operations communications team. Lets just say free time was not a thing!

    Fast forward to Oct 2019 I was now out of the Army and a full time agent and investor! I had bought my neighbors Cabin in the smokies and did a full gut job and renovation on it to make my second Airbnb and also kept a SFH flip as a long term buy and hold to add to my portfolio. So at this point I have 7 investment doors. 2 Cabins 1 Quadplex and 1 SFH.

    Now for the questions to ask yourself wether you have 1 door right now or 1,000 doors. Trust me I have a friends on both sides of the spectrum and happiness lies within yourself and not how many doors you have.

    1) What is your money passive income number you want? Be realistic with yourself! I love asking people this question and have had answers from as little as $3,000 to as much $22,000 a month. Really dig into what you want to do with your time when you are in complete control of it. Factor in your monthly debit and all expenses associated with your portfolio. 

    2) Once you reach your passive income number what are you going to do with your time? Now its super easy to answer this question quickly and rattle off all the cool stuff you plan to do but seriously take the time to think on this long term. What are you going to do 6 months into retirement then what does 5 years from that look like. 

    This is just what worked for me and everyones situation is different. Some people have husbands, wives, kids, or even have taken on rolls they never thought they would. Regardless of where you live or who is in your life look at it as opportunity to grow and not as a set back. Your hardest critic is your brain and if you like to live comfortable and not push yourself mentally you probably won't retire till 60 if your lucky. Don't take action on everyones advice but always listen, they might have a different view on an investment strategy or know something that you can add to your tool belt. If I listened to everyone in my life I would not being writing this at 30 years old on a Wednesday afternoon in my house planing my next adventure!  Just remember don't get so caught up in the hum-drum you forget what you are working towards in life and your time. I truly hope this helps someone on here and by all means feel free to contact me if you think I can be of any help. PS: Don't feel bad if I take a few days/weeks to respond, I'm retired lol 

     Bryce,

    Isn't it amazing what can be accomplished with good old hard work, sadly missing in many of our younger generations. You are an inspiration to us all. Congratulations.

    Godspeed,

    Gary

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair

    What was the number that you needed to retire? I didn’t see you listed it. I’m taking it you’re single. If you meet that sweetheart and have children the ride your motorcycle around the world and eat Viana sausage days are probably going to be over. You’ll probably need to buy another house or 20 at that time. :-)

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2015 · 382 posts · 258 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair

    Strong work Bryce. They say if you love your job, you never work a day in your life. I think of retirement as a means to have the money I need to do the things I want and like to do. Looks like you’re at that stage

  • Lathrop, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair

    Absolutely loved your story, keeps me motivated and my eye on the prize.

    Thank you for your service.

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair wow this was pretty insperational. I'm only 22 but retirement is always on my mind. But you gave me some good food for thought. I gotta think about a lot of things. Thank you for posting!

  • Rental Property Investor · North Hollywood, CA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair

    First of all thanks for your service!! Great motivational story.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greenville, SC · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair this motivated me ✊🏾

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 459 posts · 305 votes
    5y

    @Bryce Stclair

    That’s awesome, congratulations.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.