We've Redesigned the Forums!!!

We've Redesigned the Forums!!!

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

Hey there, BiggerPockets!

Your forums look a little different today, don't they? 

We've made a few changes - and we're REALLY excited about them!

First off, we've cleaned up the interface and put the content of the posts front and center. We simplified the “chrome” of our posts and put a focus on what we all want — the posts themselves.

So where did all that stuff go? If you hover over an avatar, you'll see how to connect with that member, along with post/vote/award counts. To the right, you'll see three little green dots, which is where you can Quote someone or Report Abuse if you find a spammy post.

You can share forum threads on Facebook and Twitter. Oh, want to email them? You can do that, too! 

My favorite FAVORITE parts of the new design are the "stickies" at the top and bottom of a forum thread. As you scroll around a post, the top of your screen has a bar that includes the title of the post as well as the follow and reply buttons. No matter where you are as you scroll, you can always access these.

Our quick reply at the bottom of a thread is now sticky. Now you can scroll around the thread and reply as you’re reading individual posts. It just makes it easier to respond to multiple people without having to scroll up and down a bunch of times.

Other cool features include an easier way to jump to the last post in a thread while viewing our main forum feed, and a new sticky nav below our main nav bar while you are on the forums. You can now jump to Trending Topics, Your Discussions, Unanswered Posts and those threads you’re following from any page on the forums.

Our very own Brandon Turner created a video tour to show you these great new features.

There's also a quick tour in the upper right corner to give you highlights the first time you visit the new forums. 

I want to give a HUGE SHOUT OUT to our Super-Awesome Development Team - especially @Edd Morgan for all the work that went into our new design. 

So tell me - how do you like our new design? Take some time to play around on the new forums and tell me what you think!

(We've put a lot of work into this new design - and I think I've tested everything. But if you find a bug or think something's not working right, I'd love to hear from you. Send an email to [email protected] or leave me a note here.)

15Reply
978 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
10y

We looked at this weeks ago. The feedback from the moderators is we did not like the new look overall.

I can't speak for everyone but there was very in depth discussions.

Negatives:

1. The picture icons are smaller now so you can't see well who you are looking at and responding too.

2. Moving votes to the left is a mistake. People are lazy and most are right handed. Click an scroll it's easy to vote. Now people have to cross-move over to the left to complete an action.

3. There are no lines between posts to show easy separation like before. It made it more user friendly and readable. Everything blends in now and the text is harder to read. I have perfect eyesight and I still find it difficult. Lighter text and harder to read posts makes users use the site less and not more. The "interaction" factor will diminish.

4. The votes you could use to hover over before voting and see who all voted. Now you can only hit it to vote.

5. The video feature,moderator, etc. is gone. Personally I liked seeing if people had videos to click on.

6. The look is too corporate and the personality is sucked out of it. Instead of your favorite watering hole with warm colors and easy usability it looks like a hospital feel now. Modern and cold.

It's Josh's ship. This isn't the first change I have seen over the years and I am sure not the last. I just say what I feel whether it's taken well or not. In my whole life I have never been a "yes man" and have forged my own path in this world.

That's one of the qualities I admire about Josh the most is we both own and run businesses. It's tough making the hard choices as you grow a company.

I just do not see the benefit to the design for users.

For instance if someone could give me a concrete reason WHY a smaller member picture  will make people connect more on the forums I am all ears. Maybe it's easier for a developer but I do not see it as an add for users on the forum. Maybe it's easier to read on cell phones? I know for desktop it certainly is not.

Anyways the forums will go on.  My .02 

"que sera sera whatever will be will be" ................. : )

See this reply in the discussion

225 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    10y

    HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE DIFFERENCE....and though it may take some getting used to ...I LIKE IT.

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    I really liked when I'm on my mobile phone I can see a picture of the person next to there name . I got used to seeing that name face recognition. Now it just will say for example 

    "Malik Welch investor from augusta replied 5 seconds ago" next to the name a big nice picture use to be present when scrolling the forum . 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    10y

    Much easier to read and navigate before - I really do not like the new format

    Also as others said its hard on the eyes even on a iPad 

  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    I love it!  Love the new font.  much easier to read.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Maybe I'm doing something wrong.....but, I tried several times and I'm not seeing the page in the demonstration, it's just forum titles and doesn't show any avatars, no way to recognize who posted, nothing but a forum title and a name. ????? I can't tell you everyone's name on here, but I can recognize their avatar.     

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    you have to put the voting button on the BOTTOM of the post.  this way AFTER reading someone's post, you can vote on it. 

    Who wants to read a good/long post, then SCROLL UP to the top of the post to vote. then scroll back down to go to the next post!

    think about it.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Joel Owens @Roy N. 

    We will have a new solution to Followed Threads today. Thank you for your feedback.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    not sure if it was discussed.... why not have a "vote down button"? i am sure my posts can collect quite a few of those votes..

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Jay HinrichsThe three green dots to the right hide the "Quote" feature and the "Report Abuse" feature.

    To start a new thread, you can click "Community" in the navigation bar at the top of the page, and a blue button will appear at the bottom of that window to Start a Discussion.

    Alternatively, you can scroll all the way to the top of the screen, and a green button in the sub navigation bar is there to Start a Discussion.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Mindy Jensen  funny why hid the green dot features... how would anyone know what those are if they have to ask you guys... I really don't care of course... but some sites are just not user friendly and I don't visit them any longer.. Like LinkedIn.. I would never use that.. way to complicated.. and you always have to have your password which I forget  then have to set another one then forget that one.. so I gave up on that long ago.  plus I frankly don't need it .. for my business purposes.

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I am with @Jay Hinrichsdrop the green dots.  Those two items would fit perfectly under the "vote" feature.  If not there then simply put "Report" and "Quote" where you have the dots. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Mindy Jensen  the other comments about eye strain I can vouch for I can only look at this for a few mintues then need to leave the site.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Mindy Jensen   another question   how do you know who voted for you on a thread I liked the feature were their name popped up specially if you got 10 or so they were all on one page and you could see in a glance.   I click on vote and nothing happens

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Mindy Jensen  OK mindy how do I send a message to someone who posted?

    I am not talking about collogue requests or following.. I am talking about the message tab below their name so I don't have to have a conversation on the public forum that will bore people to death.  where did that go.. ?  or is that function no longer avalaible and if its not that's a boo boo in my mind.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    I will say that one feature I do like that was added is that when I go to tag someone in a post using @, now the drop down menu of names appears right where I am typing the @, instead of needing to scroll down to see the drop down box. 

  • Peter MacKercherBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 567 votes
    10y

    @Mindy Jensen Some feedback about the new design --  At the bottom of the threads you have the thread page selector, which shows numbered pages (1,2,3,4, etc) but at top there's just the forward/back selector. Would be nice to have the same ability to either select page numbers, or a "First page" and "Last page" arrows next to the selectors on the top. Would make getting around a little bit easier.

    As others have said the font is beautiful, but because it's a bit thin it can be hard to read sometimes.  I'm saying that as someone in their 30s who doesn't have to wear glasses. The best example I can find is here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/categories

    A font with thicker lines would serve well there for sure. 

    That's the only thing I've been bothered by, really. You could give people the option to customize their fonts by tucking something away (Forum options, or something) in the settings page. 

    Overall the redesign is slick, beautiful and seems very functional. Great work.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    10y

    I think the new format is designed to allow for more ad space.

    Its a huge fail in my opinion as the forum has now become very hard to read.   Im typing this on my desktop with a 27" Monitor and having difficulty even on that.   

    Again, big Fail in my opinion 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    long standing issues with POSTING.

    enumerated lists do not retain the numbering after posting

    the UNDERLINE is not retained either

  • Queens NY, NY · Member since 2013 · 467 posts · 107 votes
    10y

    Sorry folks...not liking the new format. I don't post a lot mostly read and do my research, but this format/text is NOT working for me.  I have not been reading alot because it is very hard on the eyes.

    But  I still love BP!!

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Mindy Jensen   another question   how do you know who voted for you on a thread I liked the feature were their name popped up specially if you got 10 or so they were all on one page and you could see in a glance.   I click on vote and nothing happens

    You made it! Santa Barbara County red in your future!

    It appears they took away the voter identities.  Not sure if that was intentional, as people checking to see who voted is more clicks, more interface.  I hope they plan to fix/change that.

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I think it enhances the advertisers' experience. 

    But not mine.

    It would appear the posting viewable area has been reduced with a narrower format and a much harder to read font. 

    Posting dates are less prevalent  which may be more desirable from the site's owners as older, stale posts are not as likely to be noted as such when viewed on mobile device (I typically view and post via iPad). 

    The footer feature is a positive feature. The easy to use formatting located at bottom is a feature to retain. 

    BP is trying new things to improve their site. That's to be commended. It will be interesting to see how they balance out the benefits: advertisers vs paid and free subscribers who generate content at no cost.

  • Logistics Manager · Cordova, TN · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 32 votes
    10y
    Thanks BP developing Team. Always evolving :-)
  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    I will say that one feature I do like that was added is that when I go to tag someone in a post using @, now the drop down menu of names appears right where I am typing the @, instead of needing to scroll down to see the drop down box. 

    The drop down mention menu seems to be working better/faster as well.  The pop up appears right away with the relevant names.  That's one old feature that really needed improvement.  The list of names used to be off the screen for me.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rick H.:

    BP is trying new things to improve their site. That's to be commended. It will be interesting to see how they balance out the benefits: advertisers vs paid and free subscribers who generate content at no cost.

    Generate content at no cost?  How about the fact that lots of members are paying while they also generate content??? :) 

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    @Joel Owens @Roy N. 

    We will have a new solution to Followed Threads today. Thank you for your feedback.

    This is actually my main concern, after not be able to see the text of course.  Upon checking/signing in, I need to be easily able to navigate to the threads I've participated in to see any recent action.  Hope that gets worked out soon.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.