We've Redesigned the Forums!!!

225 Replies

Hey there, BiggerPockets!

Your forums look a little different today, don't they? 

We've made a few changes - and we're REALLY excited about them!

First off, we've cleaned up the interface and put the content of the posts front and center. We simplified the “chrome” of our posts and put a focus on what we all want — the posts themselves.

So where did all that stuff go? If you hover over an avatar, you'll see how to connect with that member, along with post/vote/award counts. To the right, you'll see three little green dots, which is where you can Quote someone or Report Abuse if you find a spammy post.

You can share forum threads on Facebook and Twitter. Oh, want to email them? You can do that, too! 

My favorite FAVORITE parts of the new design are the "stickies" at the top and bottom of a forum thread. As you scroll around a post, the top of your screen has a bar that includes the title of the post as well as the follow and reply buttons. No matter where you are as you scroll, you can always access these.

Our quick reply at the bottom of a thread is now sticky. Now you can scroll around the thread and reply as you’re reading individual posts. It just makes it easier to respond to multiple people without having to scroll up and down a bunch of times.

Other cool features include an easier way to jump to the last post in a thread while viewing our main forum feed, and a new sticky nav below our main nav bar while you are on the forums. You can now jump to Trending Topics, Your Discussions, Unanswered Posts and those threads you’re following from any page on the forums.

Our very own Brandon Turner created a video tour to show you these great new features.

There's also a quick tour in the upper right corner to give you highlights the first time you visit the new forums. 

I want to give a HUGE SHOUT OUT to our Super-Awesome Development Team - especially @Edd Morgan for all the work that went into our new design. 

So tell me - how do you like our new design? Take some time to play around on the new forums and tell me what you think!

(We've put a lot of work into this new design - and I think I've tested everything. But if you find a bug or think something's not working right, I'd love to hear from you. Send an email to [email protected] or leave me a note here.)

Looking good! I'm sure it will take members some time getting used to it. 

Im finding it more difficult to read. The posts begin visually too far to the left, and are running further longer horizontally than I find for easy comfortable reading, and quick visual scanning. Im also not caring much for the way the box Im typing in looks, as I try to scroll and re-read something, the box being sticky is getting in the way.

I also dont care for the voting button being moved to the left side of the post.  It is much better placed on the right side of the post closer to the browser sliding bar, so as to make voting and then scrolling, or vice versa easier. Now to move the mouse essentially from the very left side of the screen to the very right, and vise versa is inhibiting to easy voting.

@Mindy Jensen Im on my laptop now.  It is taking up too much of the screen as I scroll up to reread things. About 40% of total screen, with the next 40% up showing the post, and the top 20%  showing the headers.  I am on a Chrome browser btw.

If I zoom out to only 75% (Ctrl +/-) on the Chrome zoom, the horizontal length of the post is much better for reading, however now with the zoom out the text is too small to read comfortably. Also at 75% the sticky typing box is at a much better proportion to the screen.

@Russell Brazil As with everything, it just takes some time using it and getting used to it.  Before they finalize design changes they try them out on us moderators. All of us had some of the same initial concerns. However; after getting used to the changes you will come to understand the thinking and appreciate them. Give it a chance! It's great they're always working to improve the site and keep things fresh, which makes it THE BEST real estate investing site in the world! 

@Mindy Jensen

How do I find followed threads? The "Followed" button at the top right takes me to forums I have followed, but I can't find the link to the threads I have followed, many of which are not in the forums I follow.

I really like the fresh look, and it is actually more intuitive for me. Of course, it will take me a couple minutes to get used to the new look, but I really like it. Well done!

Another thing I just noticed is now the Moderator tag is not in the forum post as I do not see it on @Karen Margrave 's post. Maybe that is on purpose (Maybe you want that to be less prominent)? But I like seeing who the Moderators are as I tend to assign more value to a Moderators opinion (Even when they disagree with me)

You guys have gotten pop-up crazy and it's very annoying. To the left of each post is a photo of the user, their number of posts, and votes earned. When accidentally I drag my mouse near these a large box opens with a photo of the user, their number of posts, and votes earned. Same info. What additional value or info does this box add other than to cover the thread? This happens now as I'm scrolling thru the threads on the main page. Does each thread now have to pop out at me as I scroll thru?

I have a headache.

Now, I also see a box on the bottom that covers about ¾" on the bottom of the screen, allowing me to add to the thread. This is a message board. I know I'm able to add to a thread. This box adds nothing other than to take up screen space.

With the headings at the top, wide advertisements on the right, pop-ups on the left and now a box on the bottom, there's not much left for content. As much as I appreciate the programming skills of your development team, there is no shout out from me. Content is why I'm here.

Good thing the moderators are happy but this is not about keeping things fresh. I'm sorry, but your website is getting very difficult to read.

I really like that you guys made the "unanswered" section easier to find again. 

The new design also removed the donor badge, video, and verified marks. I think those were nice... 

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

@Sylvia B.You can find them under "My Discussions" in the Sub-Navigation bar. 2 to the left of "Followed"

Nope. That just takes me to all of the discussions I've started, not the ones I have followed.

@Sylvia B. That was the first thing that I noticed, too.  I generally hop on to BP, check my inbox and then hop right to the threads that I've followed.  I can't find those anymore - just the ones that I started.

Originally posted by @Jeff S. :

You guys have gotten pop-up crazy and it's very annoying. To the left of each post is a photo of the user, their number of posts, and votes earned. When accidentally I drag my mouse near these a large box opens with a photo of the user, their number of posts, and votes earned. Same info. What additional value or info does this box add other than to cover the thread? This happens now as I'm scrolling thru the threads on the main page. Does each thread now have to pop out at me as I scroll thru?

I have a headache.

Now, I also see a box on the bottom that covers about ¾" on the bottom of the screen, allowing me to add to the thread. This is a message board. I know I'm able to add to a thread. This box adds nothing other than to take up screen space.

With the headings at the top, wide advertisements on the right, pop-ups on the left and now a box on the bottom, there's not much left for content. As much as I appreciate the programming skills of your development team, there is no shout out from me. Content is why I'm here.

Good thing the moderators are happy but this is not about keeping things fresh. I'm sorry, but your website is getting very difficult to read.

Whoa.  Hard to see, hard to read.  It feels like the content is being squeezed by boxes at both the top and bottom and from the ads on the right. (And why do I have to see a picture of myself while I'm writing?)

The Format Bar doesn't make sense to me at the bottom of the writing box.  I can't think of a single program I use, on my computer or on the internet where it's below the text.  What was the rational for that?

The color of the text seems lighter.  Maybe that's just the new font?

Back in the day owners of free sites could just tell forum participants that they were getting what they were paying for.  But some of us are paying customers.  Less inclined to pay as of today.  :)

If you click on the Biggerpockets logo on the top left it seems to revert back to the old site until you click on a thread again.

@Ryan Dossey only the forums have been redesigned. The dashboard still looks the same, as does the Blog, calculators, Podcast, etc.

We looked at this weeks ago. The feedback from the moderators is we did not like the new look overall.

I can't speak for everyone but there was very in depth discussions.

Negatives:

1. The picture icons are smaller now so you can't see well who you are looking at and responding too.

2. Moving votes to the left is a mistake. People are lazy and most are right handed. Click an scroll it's easy to vote. Now people have to cross-move over to the left to complete an action.

3. There are no lines between posts to show easy separation like before. It made it more user friendly and readable. Everything blends in now and the text is harder to read. I have perfect eyesight and I still find it difficult. Lighter text and harder to read posts makes users use the site less and not more. The "interaction" factor will diminish.

4. The votes you could use to hover over before voting and see who all voted. Now you can only hit it to vote.

5. The video feature,moderator, etc. is gone. Personally I liked seeing if people had videos to click on.

6. The look is too corporate and the personality is sucked out of it. Instead of your favorite watering hole with warm colors and easy usability it looks like a hospital feel now. Modern and cold.

It's Josh's ship. This isn't the first change I have seen over the years and I am sure not the last. I just say what I feel whether it's taken well or not. In my whole life I have never been a "yes man" and have forged my own path in this world.

That's one of the qualities I admire about Josh the most is we both own and run businesses. It's tough making the hard choices as you grow a company.

I just do not see the benefit to the design for users.

For instance if someone could give me a concrete reason WHY a smaller member picture  will make people connect more on the forums I am all ears. Maybe it's easier for a developer but I do not see it as an add for users on the forum. Maybe it's easier to read on cell phones? I know for desktop it certainly is not.

Anyways the forums will go on.  My .02 

"que sera sera whatever will be will be" ................. : )

The "Add to the thread" function is problematic.  We already have tons of people not reading the threads before they post.  Allowing people to post without even scrolling down will create more of that.  More repetitive disjointed comments that don't flow.  I realize that clicks and posts are sometimes at cross purposes with content.  The site owners have something to sell and measure content by quantity of clicks and posts.  I measure content by quality of posts and relevance to the topic.  Go figure.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here