What the heck do all those Abbreviations Stand for?

What the heck do all those Abbreviations Stand for?

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes

Quite a few new users (and plenty who have been around for a while) are confused by certain abbreviations that are used on BiggerPockets all the time. 

Well, we've put together a list of these abbreviations, so that you, our readers, posters, and members, can have a quick way to check out what these arcane abbreviations actually stand for.

Special thanks to our awesome development team for putting this together for the benefit of our users like you!

Try it out - just hover your mouse over some of these abbreviations below to get a quick look at what they stand for!

HELOC

ROI

ARV

FMR

IRR

NOI

Oh, and of course like with any new launch I'm sure we missed a whole bunch of abbreviations. If you want to throw out a few more that we should add to the list (we've got about 80-100 abbreviations listed currently), make sure it is currently NOT in the list (meaning, you see it in a post, hover the mouse over it, click, but do not get an explanation for said abbreviation), and then reply here suggesting we add it!

21Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

HOVER doesn't always pop-over the definition, but just changes the cursor to ?

Btw:  I'm sure you're aware that mobile (ie touch devices) can not support any mouse over events.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    What is FMR?

    Edit: It works!

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    I'll add to @Scott Trench's post that if you do have an abbreviation you don't see, please let us know AND include the definition for us - just in case we're not quite sure what you mean, either.

    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor / Joint Venture Specialist. · Crown Point , IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    10y

    This helps so much! Great idea Bigger Pockets! 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 142 votes
    10y

    I see CCR but no COC. Perhaps NPV (net present value)?

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    HOVER doesn't always pop-over the definition, but just changes the cursor to ?

    Btw:  I'm sure you're aware that mobile (ie touch devices) can not support any mouse over events.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    GSI {Gross Scheduled Income; sum of the rents, annualized}

    Capex {has several variation, pick anyone you like}

    Caprate {has same problem}

    Reserves

    E&O {Errors and Omissions; has a def on the site}

    PM {property manager, management, disambiguate from Private Message}

    DTI {Debt to Income Ratio}

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Scott Trench Thanks for posting and @Jeff B. for adding acronyms. Some I knew, others like FMR - I had no clue.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bryan Hancock:

    What is FMR?

    Edit: It works!

    Haha - I had no idea about FMR either, Brian. We must be too old school :)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich I always heard cash paying rent and Section 8 with section 8 being higher than cash paying rent or FMR.

    Aviation is awash in acronyms.   does not take long and you learn most of them.

  • Investor · Saint Augustine, FL · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    I so agree....why can't folks take the time to type out what they are saying...screams seminar to me...they just learned what ARV means so they want to post it to prove they know the "lingo" ...to me if you want to take short cuts so much you can't type it out it makes me think you can not pay attention to detail and will take short cuts with a deal... but that is just me...

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y

    What does BP mean?

    JK

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Scott Trench

    How do we find your list of abbreviations? Or is it just typing them out as we typically do and if there is no definition than we just send you a message?

    MIP - Mortgage insurance premium (FHA)

    BRRR - Buy Rent Rehab

    BRRRR - Buy Rent Rehab Repeat

    VA - Veterans Affairs

    IRRRL - Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan for veterans

    MFR - Multi-family Residence

    OO - Owner Occupied

    NOO- Non- Owner Occupied

    I guess I have a problem with abbreviations. I am not trying to be lazy, it is just the lingo I am used to, and have a habit of using, without thinking.  

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    UFMIP - Upfront Mortgage Insurance Premium. (FHA as well)

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    FMV I believe is an accounting term atleast I hear it a lot form the accounting side when I work with accountants when we talk about the estate tax and having to value the cost basis at "Fair Market Value," after the death of the relative/grantor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2016 · 155 posts · 57 votes
    10y
    Very helpful. Some I knew... Many are New. Thanks!
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 238 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    This is a great addition to BP.  Thanks for making this update!

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerry Padilla:

    UFMIP - Upfront Mortgage Insurance Premium. (FHA as well)

    Usually abbreviated as PMI

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Another acronym

    TIC:- While a TIC investment is a form of shared ownership, the TIC interest is not the same as a partnership interest in its economic, tax or legal characteristics. A TIC interest is simply an undivided interest in real estate.

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Jeff B.

    UFMIP - is an upfront fee charged by FHA only. FHA charges UFMIP and MIP. PMI is for conventional lending.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    This is definitely helpful for new investors.  

    HOA

  • Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Is there a feature being developed so that phone users can click then see the meaning🤔?
  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Dio Donnie, I am on Android, and it works on my phone. I touch the underlined term, and the definition pops out. 

    It should work like this on iOS, too.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    I always though NOI is Ned's Operating Income

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    @Dio Donnie, I am on Android, and it works on my phone. I touch the underlined term, and the definition pops out. 

    It should work like this on iOS, too.

     Good to know . . . most sites fail on such changes to the event stack - - good job guys!

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y

    ABC Anywhere but Cleveland 

    ABD Anywhere but Detroit

    ABM Anywhere but Memphis (You've heard of the ABM treaty )

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.