Why do you connect with other BiggerPockets Members?

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

I often connect with other members because they have so much knowledge and I want to learn from them.  I do not converse with them as much as I want to, it is helpful to me to converse with someone else who is passionate about real estate.  While I have done a business deal or 2 off of connections, that is not my reason to connect.  While I routinely get requests from folks to be a colleague, I try to only accept if there is a reason.  A request with no message as to why they want to be a colleague is usually denied by me.  I try to look the person and read what they have written.  Did they provide value to the discussions, or did they just say hi?  Can the person teach me something or can I teach them something?  Are they close?  There are also some people I connect with that I want to be able to link in conversations.  Folks like @Steven Hamilton II, @Brandon Hall, @Bill Gulley, etc.  They are often to help folks with things that are beyond me.

I do have some folks I converse with once a month or so who I just like talking to and sharing ideas or recent activities to.  There is a fellowship that is rewarding.  I have made friends I may never meet in person.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 126 votes
    9y
    One word: relationships. Real estate is about relationships and connecting with people. BP colleague requests provides a way to start and build relationships.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 165 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    Your Net Worth is big as your network.

  • Investor · Green River, WY · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    I will allow anyone to follow or connect with me because of the potential information, deals, or maybe even I can help them.

  • New Carlisle, IN · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I am very new to real estate investments and always looking expand my network by connecting with other intelligent investors, agents and entrepreneurs in the area. Being that I am an introvert by nature being on BP has allowed me to connect with others and establish relationships that are easier to grow while taking me out of my comfort zone.

  • Property Manager · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 251 posts · 129 votes
    9y

    Good question, I haven't figured it out yet.

  • Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
    9y

    I connect because you never know what may come of it. The more people that I know, the more things that I know that people are working on. I then connect with someone who I can connect to someone else that may be able to help them on their journey. Someday it will come back around, directly or indirectly. 

    I also will forever be a student of this industry, and lessons, tips and ideas come from a variety of sources. You have to have your antenna up and be in the right place. Reading about something is different than talking to someone about it.

    We created a meetup for exactly the same reason. Lesser experienced folks can offer just as much as experienced. Maybe their cousin is a carpenter or an insurance agent. You never know, so you show up and put the time in.

  • Cory GardnerPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    1. Network = Networth

    2. I'll accept almost anyone's colleague request.  Everyone is a 10 in my book until they prove otherwise.  That doesn't mean that number changes only after I work with them, it could be a phone conversation or the immediate exchange of messages following the connection - I try be a good judge of character at the front end of the relationship so I'm not burned on the back.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Thank you for answering! I really appreciate your feedback!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.