Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
I often connect with other members because they have so much knowledge and I want to learn from them. I do not converse with them as much as I want to, it is helpful to me to converse with someone else who is passionate about real estate. While I have done a business deal or 2 off of connections, that is not my reason to connect. While I routinely get requests from folks to be a colleague, I try to only accept if there is a reason. A request with no message as to why they want to be a colleague is usually denied by me. I try to look the person and read what they have written. Did they provide value to the discussions, or did they just say hi? Can the person teach me something or can I teach them something? Are they close? There are also some people I connect with that I want to be able to link in conversations. Folks like @Steven Hamilton II, @Brandon Hall, @Bill Gulley, etc. They are often to help folks with things that are beyond me.
I do have some folks I converse with once a month or so who I just like talking to and sharing ideas or recent activities to. There is a fellowship that is rewarding. I have made friends I may never meet in person.
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
I often connect with other members because they have so much knowledge and I want to learn from them. I do not converse with them as much as I want to, it is helpful to me to converse with someone else who is passionate about real estate. While I have done a business deal or 2 off of connections, that is not my reason to connect. While I routinely get requests from folks to be a colleague, I try to only accept if there is a reason. A request with no message as to why they want to be a colleague is usually denied by me. I try to look the person and read what they have written. Did they provide value to the discussions, or did they just say hi? Can the person teach me something or can I teach them something? Are they close? There are also some people I connect with that I want to be able to link in conversations. Folks like @Steven Hamilton II, @Brandon Hall, @Bill Gulley, etc. They are often to help folks with things that are beyond me.
I do have some folks I converse with once a month or so who I just like talking to and sharing ideas or recent activities to. There is a fellowship that is rewarding. I have made friends I may never meet in person.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
9y
I pretty much accept any that come my way. I figure if people like me, or my posts, enough to want to be my colleague, I am humbled by the invitation. People that I request are usually people that I have a lot of respect for their posts and are often the "smartest people in the room". I prefer surrounding myself with people smarter than I, than the other way around :)
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
9y
Well, I've denied very few colleague requests, I do expect some message as to why they made the request, but I have accepted some without a message, I assume they are new and want to ask a question, but I have denied those when I feel that they are not an ideal contributor.
In those messages I'd like to hear where they are in the real estate world, if they have experience they should say so, same if they don't. I'd like to hear about their goals and reason for contacting me.
In those messages I'm free to giving my personal opinion, general advice and listening to their problem, guidance is one thing, consultation is another.
Most will get a standard message; thank you, I'll be happy to address any real estate question you may have in the forums......I'll address some confidential things by message.
What I don't do is give specific real estate or investment advice on a specific property, I'm not an attorney much less a member of 50 Bars, I'm no longer a real estate broker or agent, specific real estate advice on a deal requires a license unless you're a party to that deal. If I can assist without taking on an agency relationship or getting into the unauthorized practice of law or advising on specific tax matters, I do. Fret not, I can arrange consultation in situations under certain circumstances, so it's not impossible to obtain.
I stay in the forums because I can address things more publicly as to a situation without taking on a personal liability of consulting or advising, we can avoid the personal relationship in public forums.
Many of the mentors, coaches or other "advisers" on BP can be scary, I guess they aren't aware of the liability they take on or if they are, ignore it out of desperation for a few bucks, I know they don't properly advise in cases and I'm sure they aren't qualified professionally operating all over the country, I guess they don't get specific and stay with system theories.
Which brings me to why I'm here, it really has been the labor of paying it back, there is so much poor and bad information out there that it really does put the public as well as new operators at risk. Those that say jump in and learn as you go, that's advice for a fool from a fool. You might not mess up really bad, but you certainly can and if you do, it can ruin your life, especially when you're young. Real estate is a profession, not a game of chance.
I feel like I'm contributing to the industry, smashing bad ideas and advice, if advice is taken great, if not (which I can't control) at least they are warned and the public or the investor public becomes more aware. So, it's not about the one trying to do unethical or illegal things, it's about others who may be influenced by the uninformed, naive or the intentional scammer.
@Jerry W. we can make up for that personal meeting if I can get up there to go Elk hunting, when is your next vacation? LOL :)
@Jerry W. ........looks like the mention isn't working!
Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
9y
What is the point of having colleagues? You don't see what they post like it is on Facebook. I think it's kind of ridiculous to have to be colleagues to send a message.
Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
9y
One of the main reasons I like connecting is so I can mention that person in a forum thread when someone would benefit from their specific expertise or is in their state or area. So many answers are state-specific. I try not to over-bother, though. Sometimes it may even benefit their business!
I also like to get to know the cool people on here better!
I don't accept requests without messages unless we just finished up on a thread together. Say something. I also don't accept if their first message is a question that requires a book and a law degree to answer. Get that quite a bit, too. My accept to deny ratio is low because of this, especially since the top contributor thingy started in the upper right. But I'm just an ol' grouch anyway, so don't take offense :) My goal is quality over quantity.
Personally I'm glad random people can't just message you without also doing a colleague request. Although denying the request doesn't prevent future messages I don't think. People selling stuff or asking the moon of you from the outset need a gate of sorts. Thanks for the discussion @Mindy Jensen!
Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
I will rarely accept a request without a reason as to why someone wishes to connect to me unless I actually know them. That reason must be more than that they would like to pick my brain (my brain has been picked enough, thank you) or partner on a poorly defined or imaginary project. Part of my reluctance to do so is that when I connect with someone who continually connects with other people my dashboard gets bombarded with notices of each of these connections. That renders my dashboard worthless until my new colleague ceases their connecting or I remove them from my connections.
I connect with people for current or future business deals, educational purposes, upcoming events etc.Networking is vital to any successful business.
I look for profiles that are completed, people that are active with using tools or posting information or asking questions. Those are the requests that I accept or send requests to!
I liken a colleague request to an introduction to someone at a local networking group. Basically a "hello" to someone with either common interests or someone who has commented on an article of mine, etc. Essentially someone I would wish to have a dialogue with.
It's rare I'd deny a request, but I suppose I accept requests from anyone I feel like I could either help or could help me (so a completed profile helps to determine this, like others have mentioned). It's really a means of bringing value/having a conversation in a private platform. I would be curious to see where BP takes the colleagues aspect of the site.
I connect with other members because there is so much knowledge to be learned and shared. There is always someone who knows something you don't know, whether you are new to REI or already a professional.
When accepting colleague requests, I look for active members who contribute to BP. Their profiles are complete and they participate in forums regularly.
Real Estate Investor · Darien, IL · Member since 2016 · 71 posts · 27 votes
9y
Networking, networking, networking! While I am a newbie it is solely myself making the requests with other investors. My approach in this is based on that saying "you are the average of the five people you associate with the most" so I am selective with whom I make requests.
However, I am not just making requests for the sake of building my numbers of colleagues. I make a request when I feel that I have something of value to offer that person this way there is a mutual gain from it.
Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 35 votes
9y
If I reach out to a random fellow BP member, I have a few criteria:
1. A PHOTO: if they took the time to add a photo to their profile, they have passed my first qualification round. It also helps if they are a PRO member, but this is optional.
2. RECENT ACTIVITY: On each user's profile page, at the bottom, there is a reference to when the person was last active on BP. If they haven't been here in a while, I skip the connection request. Otherwise, they move on to round 3.
3. ANYTHING IN COMMON: I look through their recent posts, their bio or blog posts (if any) to see if we have anything in common; I check their geography to see if they might be a good connection for possibly working together in the future.
Specialist · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Mindy Jensen - I always like to hear the thinking and strategies of borrowers, HM brokers, real estate agents, etc. I learn lots of cool and interesting things I never even knew was out there.
Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes
9y
I'm new to B.P. I sent my first colleague request based on local area and, as others stated, to bounce information off of others that are passionate. Sometimes you may think you're alone in your goals and having others even interested in connecting helps formulate your plans and ideas.
Investor · Fort Thomas, KY · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 33 votes
9y
I'm still learning how the community works best, but as of now, I am connecting with colleagues because:
They are Local - I'm trying to learn from and network with more Greater Cincinnati investors
Experts - They seem to be an expert in some overlapping field where I am trying to learn
Possible Partnership - There is a potential partnership that could benefit each of us
Experienced - They take time to answer questions, have a significant BP profile status, and demonstrate that they will help where they can.
People are Cool - I like people ... generally. So, if you have a cool pic, or bio, or whatever, I may just want to be your Colleague because I think you are cool. (And that's even spoken by an introvert).
I will admit that the Colleague, Following, Follower system as it currently works is a bit confusing. I am happy to see BP take a look at this feature and see how they can improve it. As others have mentioned, seems like you can downsize this feature and make it work more like people are used to on other popular social media sites.
Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
A couple of months ago, I tallied up all of my commission income YTD as a Realtor, and determined that something like 49% can be traced directly back to BP! This does not include investment deals where I was the principal, or property management income...just gross commission income.
BP is a wonderful place to connect and help others, and it's pays incredible dividends when you approach it with the right mindset (which, in my humble opinion, is help people where you can by sharing your expertise without expecting anything in return, and it will come back to you many times over)!
That being said, I have never denied a colleague request - what harm could approving a colleague request possibly do to a member? In other words, what could go wrong by accepting one?
Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
@Mindy Jensen I connect with those who are local to my area. There are only about 10-15 active members at a time in Billings so it is a celebration when we get a new one!
Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 9 votes
9y
@Mindy Jensen At this point, since I am so green in the REI field, I've been trying to connect mostly with local investors, agents, rehabbers, loan officers and anyone who has experience in the field. I'm sure as time passes I'll learn who to continue to network with. BiggerPockets has been critical in my being able to jump online, ask a question, and get feedback from various professionals in RE. For a newbie as myself, this site is worth GOLD. I find the ability to learn from the perspective of other professionals in this field is priceless, and the members on this site provide that. Take care.
Developer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 434 posts · 357 votes
9y
I accept all requests and I've never turned down an offer to meet regardless of whether they're brand new or have been in the business for decades. I'm always looking to add/improve the team and you never know where that improvement will come from.
Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
9y
I allow anyone to follow me and i request people that i have encountered. I think networking is huge to any growing business so the more people who want to connect with you the longer your reach. Plus its always good to meet new people and build new relationships
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
We typically connect with people to build our network. Say, for example, if we want to invest in a new geographic area we'll reach out to Realtors, lenders, contractors, etc. doing business in that area. Creating those connections makes it easier to set up meetings and it gives you some 'go to' resources for that area. Or, if we're looking for advice on a certain topic - say taxes, or how to invest in tax liens - we'll connect with BP members who have experience in those areas, are writing blogs on those topics, or are active contributors to posts on those topics. Sometimes people send random requests to connect. If the person has detail on their profile, I'll accept. If there's no photo and no detail, I won't. If they don't care enough to elaborate on their profile, I have no reason to believe they have anything to contribute. Sounds harsh, but with millions of members, you have to have some kind of filter.