Do I need to be "concerned" bout Big Pockets forum members?

Do I need to be "concerned" bout Big Pockets forum members?

Investor · Vancouver · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 9 votes

I am new to RE discussions nad the BP community. I just noticed people here are VERY open to helping and giving advice/guidance.  For some reason... I feel these are red flags, but maybe am wrong. I come from the online digital marketing world and attitudes like this mean they are trying to solicit their services or products to you...

Though I am so new, and perhaps this is just the common BP community culture that people are being helpful. 

Should I be concerned about these users and are there any warning signs I should take note of or be weery of - thank you for your replies.

2Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8y

@Jessey Kwong , in my real life, not one person cares about real estate at all. 

But on BiggerPockets, everyone here is a real estate geek. I can talk about tenants, new landlord laws, AirBnB regulations, and the frustrations of finding a contractor with people who care, know about it, and can contribute to the conversation.

I love real estate. I love talking about real estate and nobody I know in real life wants to talk about it. (Except for all the lovely people I meet at the local meetups.)

While there are people here who are trying to build their business, there are also just tons of people who have finally "found their tribe." BiggerPockets is my tribe. (And I'm not just saying that because I work here. I work here because It's my tribe.)

See this reply in the discussion

82 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y

    Being helpful, and providing useful content on the site is how many of us generate leads for our businesses.  It also helps to raise our profile to gain more business.

  • Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes
    8y

    @Russell Brazil has a point. Some people are on here to generate business, but they mostly do it by actually being helpful. And some of them are legitimate experts in their field.

    But the prevailing sense I get is that most people on here aren't even looking for business - they're engaged in give and take, they both get help and give help. I know I try to help people because other people helped me when I was new and clueless. It's rare for me to ask a question anymore, but I still do occasionally, and people help me.  And even after years of doing this, I still learn things occasionally just by reading the threads. That's a good community. 

    Like anything else, there may be people taking a predatory approach, but don't assume everyone being helpful is out to take advantage of you.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    There's also very little overlap or guarding of turf here. I would have no problem sharing ideas, experiences, etc, because I doubt you're going to 'steal' a deal from me all the way in BC. Actually, in most cases, even someone in the same city isn't really direct competition in most cases.
  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong I agree.  I'm mostly helpful because I'm also self serving in that I get a ton of business from BP.  However, I was also helpful before I realized there was so much go gained by doing so, so I don't feel totally terrible about that  :)

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong , in my real life, not one person cares about real estate at all. 

    But on BiggerPockets, everyone here is a real estate geek. I can talk about tenants, new landlord laws, AirBnB regulations, and the frustrations of finding a contractor with people who care, know about it, and can contribute to the conversation.

    I love real estate. I love talking about real estate and nobody I know in real life wants to talk about it. (Except for all the lovely people I meet at the local meetups.)

    While there are people here who are trying to build their business, there are also just tons of people who have finally "found their tribe." BiggerPockets is my tribe. (And I'm not just saying that because I work here. I work here because It's my tribe.)

  • Real Estate Agent · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 259 posts · 293 votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong I would also echo @Mindy Jensen's sentiments. It's nice to completely nerd out with people who live, eat and breathe real estate the way I do. 

    I got into real estate managing my parents portfolio of properties and turned into a landlord at a very young age. I've learned a lot from them and the few other people I know, but have also learned some extra tricks here.

    By participating in the forums, I've personally found that I'm a pretty good landlord and it's allowed me to help other people on the site. I was always confident about my ability to use financial models to determine what the strike zone for a particular opportunity might be, but when you're the same age or younger than some of your tenants, things can get a little awkward. Like I said, participating in the forums has shown me that I'm actually pretty good at being a landlord despite some of the challenges I might have.

    I've been fortunate enough to have lots of people respond on questions about financing and some other situations/areas that I'm not nearly as well versed in. I look at everything as I can contribute well when it comes to landlord tenant relations and I benefit from learning about the financing side and more. 

    Everyone has differing opinions one way or another and there are some that I agree with and others that I don't. By participating frequently, you begin to see patterns/trends from other posters and maybe develop on whose opinions you give more merit to. I haven't been here long, but I have met people through the site, no business yet, but it has certainly helped me learn more and develop confidence for working with my existing clients and future clients. It's been extremely valuable to confirm my knowledge and not feeling so much like an entitled brat who inherited her parent's portfolio and playing dress up as a real estate agent every day. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    When it comes to money and business you must vett everyone. Trust is not a business plan. Opinions are subjective.

    The forums are for those to exchange information and give advice without taking ownership of consequences. Strangers talking to strangers. You need to get to know the personalities of those posting.

    For example I am a hard line no s**t business operator. No patients for emotion in business and I have selectively chosen all my tenants to fit my operating style. I cater to my good tenants  and will get rid of any new tenant, without hesitation, that is not fitting my mould. None of my advice will work for a mom and pop landlord but since I am not selling anything I have no ulterior motives in posting.

    If someone is selling something and you want to go deeper you must take it off of the internet.

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    I can't realistically expect someone to take the time to help me if I can't at least bring something to the table.... so I try to help out when/where I can. I do think though there's a big difference between asking for help with respect to a specific question and asking for "help" finding an investment. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Jessey Kwong So the extent of “services” I’ve offered are: “Buy me a Jamba Juice in Carlsbad and pick my brain for all of the limited information it has!” I would imagine it’s a similar scenario with most of the people here. Just yesterday I was telling someone over BPs messaging service what areas I like and avoid where I invest. I even gave him the name of the realtor and PM I use. No kickback or referral fee will end up with my mailbox. And, sure, there’s a chance that we will both end up looking at the same deal. But it’s a really small chance and if it happens, well, it happens. What I will say is that you do end up with your share of “affiliate marketers” on BP. They’re supposed to disclose that an many of them do. Give yourself 30 days and you’ll be able to spot them by the tone and tenor of their posts. Trust me, it’s not hard to spot, it really isn’t. If you want a starting point to spot them, they generally speak in generalities and a common phrase will be “people don’t understand” instead of “what happened to me was”. And that’s far less obvious that posts relating to “my students” or “what I teach”. That’s not to say that their advice is “bad” or “wrong” or that even their “educational programs” don’t have value. Just to point out that there *might* be a non-altruistic agenda 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Investor · West Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 239 votes
    8y

    I'm the person with the differing opinion.  Although I've found the podcasts helpful,  quite a few of them are thinly veiled infomercials (my opinion).  And don't get me started with the turnkey marketers.  They offer advice and their advice is geared one way- the solution is to buy a turnkey house from me.  If someone posts they have money to invest and are looking for help, of course the solution is to invest with them.  I'm a private money lender. I have nothing to sell and try to help people in the flipping or lending space if I can.  The moment that happens my inbox is full of people asking me to fund their deals which are usually terrible deals.  I.e. Can you provide unsecured gap funding of $500k for 6%?  I know we don't know each other and I live across the country but trust me it's a winner.  I then start to receive emails from various companies asking me to fund their deals, buy their houses, invest in their apartment syndications.  I always opt out but still it's annoying.  Im thinking of blocking my profile.

    That said I still find value on this site.  However if it continues to be uncontrolled solicitation I will end my membership.  So you've been warned.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong,

    I second @Mindy Jensen tenfold!  I love BP because 99% of my friends aren't into real estate, so they don't understand and can't relate to me life.   I call BP " FB for real estate people."     I love BP because it is a bunch of real estate geeks, a lot of people who have been there, done that, and then it's a lot of newbies trying to learn the ropes!   BP was there for me when I had a question as a newbie landlord, so I like to pay it forward and help if I can.   

    ... but on the flip side, most people are out for themselves, so if you get a PM from a lender, wholesaler, real estate agent, your red flags should go up if they are swaying you to do something.    Majority of people here are like me and just enjoy sharing our experiences, and hopefully helping out others!

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    BP is a great forum for sharing and learning many people give freely without expecting anything in return

  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    8y
    I think it is like any situation in life, you have to be careful. Yes, there are people on here with ulterior motives, but I think the majority of people are here to genuinely help a fellow "tribe member" - (I like that @mindy Jensen). We are told by so many of our family members, friends, associates, etc. that you can't invest in real estate - you'll go broke! Many of the BP contributors can offer their advice. Advice that they may have earned at a great cost and they are willing to give it to you no charge. In my case, I have had a lot of people a long the way help me with my success. I think of it as my way to payback and more importantly pass on information.
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong I think it's because most people on this site are just big real estate nerds. I love RE and breath and eat it every day. It is fun to give advice and get advice in return. There are some people on this site that are looking to get your business, but I think with most they are on here because RE is fun and we love be engulfed in it. Sure, if I gain an investor, get a property, form a partnership, find a team member I am happy and found even extra benefit. 

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    8y

    Most people on here are from different areas of the country/world, and therefore are not direct competition.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mansfield, OH · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 117 votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong - I'm here to learn how to be a better investor. But I've also learned so much about real estate from the guy I buy all my houses from that I can't help but share. I've come to realize that my 6 figure mindset has a lot to learn from a guy that has a 10 figure mindset and because he's willing to share with me, I'm willing to share with the BP community.

    Whatever you're getting into with real estate, or anything else for that you do, if you do your due diligence, you minimize your risk...

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong "You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." - Zig Zigler

    Helping other people is not just the right thing to do. It also helps US understand the issues we talk about better. Some of the most successful people I know spend the majority of their day trying to help others. They don't ask for anything in return.

    They do it because it's the right thing to do, but the result is long lasting trust and good will. A place at the table in the inner circle. A shot at wealth. A huge book of friends. Feeling like contributing members of society. That, along with a bunch more.  

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    You should always question where the source of your information comes from. ALWAYS! In general we’re all just here to learn from others and provide help/info where and when we can. Things to be leery of here, and in order of the prevalence IMO: 1A) beginners that think they know a lot and talk authoritatively but have no idea how much they don’t know. 1B) people who know their market and investment strategy very well and assume that’s the best for every one in every market 5) people selling themselves, services, and partnerships Notice I go from 1A & 1B to #5. That’s because I think #5 is much less likely. It does happen, and it’s usually pretty evident when that’s the motive. But 1A & 1B run rampant in nearly every thread. It’s hard to differentiate those people and advice from the experts. They think they’re experts and think they know all and come across as if they do (Dunning-Kruger effect). Those are the ones to really look out for. In general they are very well intentioned people and mean the best, but they may not actually be providing the best advice and information for YOU, your market, your goals, and your situation.
  • Rental Property Investor · Friendswood, TX · Member since 2010 · 663 posts · 508 votes
    8y

    “You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want.”  — Zig Ziglar

  • Investor · West Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 239 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    I am not on this forum to solicit or get business from my lending.  I only work with people I ALREADY know and am absolutely not lending my funds to anyone new.  In other words I'm not using this forum to gain new clients.

    You should keep your comments sensible instead of absurd.  What I charge and how I set my loans up is not of your concern.  

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Members who overtly troll for business get called out by other members and their replies get removed by BP.

    @Austin Fruechting 1B is rampant...my way or the highway.

    I met my CPA on BP. He demonstrated expertise and help as a fellow investor...no pitch. The DST lady is another story.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong , I don't think you should necessarily see it as a red flag.

    This site was created to help  real estate investors and be different from some other sites run by gurus. 

    You always have to be cautious but I feel like BP does a pretty good job of weeding out 'bad actors' as one might call them. 

    I have been on BP for many years and it does seem like there are many more agents,lenders, etc but that can also be seen as a benefit and most of the active ones generally seem interested to help even if they don't sell something. 

    They also provide different perspectives and insights. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Coming from contribution has a ton of perks. The most noticeable one for my business is an increase in awareness and leads. But contributing isn't done in an effort to just get clients...its to learn the mindset of others and to have my own methods/ideas challenged. Almost ALWAYS, there is someone else who does something I do differently. That's part of why I talk about how I do things - I want those people to come out and challenge me on why I do it. I reflect on exactly why I do while defending my ways, and then also learn of their own perspective based on their experience, which sometimes I accept and other times I reject.

    However, I am wary of members with no photo, members I have to PM to get the details, and members who don't explicitly state what their business/affiliate relationship is. Displaying their name/photo and publicly releasing their opportunity's details, be it lending, a property, education, etc, so the community here can "attack" or rather provide feedback is a sign that a person is someone to trust.

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Jessey Kwong, I joined BP a few years ago just because I wanted to give back.  I'd bought several hundred properties by then and figured I must have something to offer. And I had no one else to offer it to...my family members couldn't care less about real estate investing and I just can't think or talk about much else. So maybe my ulterior motive was therapy.  LOL

    Since, I've received so much more than I've given and I haven't even tried.  I've made personal friends, met some really interesting people, received backstage passes to concerts, met celebrities, gotten deals, received knowledge, done countless podcasts (three for BP), been offered a book deal (turned it down for now), been contacted by television producers about doing shows (no fit), and established relationships with so many accredited investors that have invested tens of millions in my private offerings.

    And not one of these things was because I posted "looking for investors" or "looking for deals" or "looking for friends".  Instead, I just write every post I make in a way that shares my knowledge and 28 years of experience to answer the poster's question or help with their situation. If I give great answers people think, on their own, "hey this guy knows what he's talking about, I'm going to reach out to him and..." do whatever suits their needs.  Ulterior motive?  No.  Ulterior results?  Yes. 

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    This site is responsible for putting me in touch with people that have put over six figures in my pocket. The least I can do is spend some time contributing and helping others here. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.