Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
Listening to this weeks podcast the guest made a statement that he would Never hire someone unless they had a job in collage. How many of you successful folks out there had a Job in collage?
Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 106 votes
8y
Yes! Career Peer. Admissions Rep. WOW Team Leader. Bi-weekly Volunteer at Senior Citizen Home. 2 Full Time Internships. Still managed to graduate #1 in my class!
Well done! Did you live at home to keep expenses low?
Yes, I lived at home during college except for the semester that I studied in Germany. I also took the bus to school quite a bit (students could ride free), and I saved, saved, and saved.
I also choose to go to a school that was affordable and wouldn't put me in tons of debt.
China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
I started working in Clinical Engineering (fixing medical electronics at a hospital) while I was still in high school and stayed on full time when I graduated. I went to college at night, earning a minor degree (ASET) in Medical Electronics while working full time.
At the age of 40, I went on to earn a BSBA - also at night while I was working as the ER Ops Manager at a big Boston hospital.
Truth be told, I wish I had skipped both degrees and gotten into real estate 40 years ago. I'd be MILES ahead of where I am now.
Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 7 votes
8y
I worked like a dog in college. I managed to fit in odd jobs between classes and on weekends to make at last 40-50 hours. Worked the post office, drove a delivery truck, worked nights at the campus RAT, and weekends as a physical therapy assistant- all at the same time. Then dropped 2 of those to wait tables and bartend at TGI Friday's. I worked myself sick. If I had been smarter and invested more back then, I would be way better off now. Hopefully I am teaching my kids to work smarter younger.
Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 116 votes
8y
Averaged about 30 hours a week working in a grocery store both in high school and college. Finished college in 4 years. Only means i had to go to college, pay rent and food bills. Quit work about 2 months before graduating. Felt very weird not working.
I keep hearing about the massive student loan debt problem, if people would just follow your advice, I see no reason the Majority of people should have any debt at all.
Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
I absolutely agree with the podcast guest. I got my first job at 11 and have been employed ever since. I'd never hire someone who's had mommy and daddy wiping their nose their entire life.
Investor · Simpsonville, SC · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 73 votes
8y
Yep - Had a work-study job for 10 hours on campus during the week and then worked several weekend shifts waiting tables during the school year and full time at the restaurant during summers and breaks. I graduated with
My husband went to a military college where students were not allowed to work a job off campus during the school year but they certainly didn't let the cadets have lots of free time. He also worked different jobs over the summers. His parents did pay 100% of the college tuition, room & board but he had to pay his own expenses otherwise (Car, social activities, etc) as I understand it.
I only knew one person who didn't goof off at my college whose parents paid 100% of her expenses. She took college very seriously due to the sacrifices her family was making. All the other "fully paid" students were goofing off and on the 5-6 year plan. She graduated in 3 years with a double major. I can see the benefits of considering work during college when hiring but I wouldn't use it as an absolute litmus test.
Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 183 posts · 146 votes
8y
@Joshua D. Yes, I worked part-time while going to college full-time. I did odd jobs for the leasing manager at my apartment complex, i.e. painting, cleaning, etc. I worked for a building supply company stocking the warehouse, filling customer orders, driving trucks to deliver lumber, shingles, and sheet rock. I also worked for the university as a math tutor in a learning lab. Several years later, I went to grad school at night while working full-time during the day. Fun times.
Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 25 votes
8y
I’ve always had a job going through college. I’m still in college getting my BS degree while on active duty. Working active duty is a bit rough going to college but if I can do it than anyone can.
Charleston, WV · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 50 votes
8y
For my undergraduate no, my parents wanted me to “focus” on my school work. I worked full time while earning my masters. Presently, I work full time as I work on my doctorate
Real Estate Broker · Bradenton, FL · Member since 2017 · 544 posts · 363 votes
8y
I played college football, and worked a different job every off season. All minimum wage type jobs.
Its a good idea, even if someone else is paying for your college. I actually developed some really useful skills in those jobs. Plus, these days you really need some work experience on your resume.
Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 231 posts · 124 votes
8y
I was a golf caddy from 8th grade through high school graduation, and I achieved a full ride because of it (called the Chick Evans Scholarship, paid for by the Western Golf Association if anyone out there has heard of it.)
In college I worked in a sorority kitchen in between classes for free meals and an hourly wage. In the summers, I had corporate intrernships and still caddied on the weekends--it was always difficult to turn down $100+ cash for a four-hour day. I don't have any kids, but I definitely hope they get into caddying some day.
Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
8y
Yes, I worked full time through college and graduated debt-free. I made more money during college than in my first "real" job after I graduated, so I continued bartending on nights and weekends for extra cash. Wish I had discovered real estate much earlier in life. Would have saved me many years of sitting bored behind a desk collecting a paycheck.
@NathanGolding-- Love your story. Way to turn your hobby/side hustle into a profitable business!
Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
8y
I worked starting sophomore year. At one point, I worked in a hospital kitchen. It was a great student job. 4 pm to 8 every evening, first doing the tray line, then delivering trays, picking them up and then washing the dishes. The benefit was that we would run the leftover (on patient trays) unopened little cartons of milk through the commercial dishwasher and bring them home. We were able to bring home much leftover food that normally would have gone into the trash. It was a great benefit to poor college students.
Later I worked as a nurses aide while in nursing school. It was a valuable real world education. I graduated without any student debt.
After my freshman year, I never got to "party" or do Spring Break while in college. I was always the one picking up as many hours at work as possible during breaks. I believe it made me not fear poverty. I am willing to take risks because I know I can handle the downside. It also made me not think of myself as better than the secretaries or housekeepers that I worked with at the hospital. Having been in their shoes, I did everything I could to be considerate of their work flow.
Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Thanks everybody for your awesome responses!
It’s so good to hear that there are people out there that are not afraid to work. I think it is sad when I see kids today “focusing on their studies” rather than working during school.
I have a masters degree and worked 30 to 40 hours per week while getting both my bs and my masters. It was tough at times but not impossible by any stretch. I graduated on the deans list with good grades (whatever that means)
I also graduated debt free and paid for all my schooling myself. It’s totally doable.
Financial Advisor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2012 · 156 posts · 194 votes
8y
I completely agree with the podcast guest, Mike Anderson. Hiring people who worked in college is the way to go.
I notice that my tenants who work while attending the local universities tend to be better renters. They are rarely home since they are either in school or working. When they are home, they are prepping for exams or writing papers.
I worked my tail off in college. My worst job was moving office furniture in 100 degree heat in Northern Ca. My best job was guiding white water rapids and dealing black jack.
I also bought and sold a courier business and even worked as a Pedi-Cab Driver (bicycle taxi) on weekends.
I graduated with about $2,800 in debt since I tapped a student loan to buy a reliable vehicle so I could drive to my Black Jack job on weekends which was over 3 hours away in Lake Tahoe.
After college, I took the summer off and chilled in Lake Tahoe while mapping out my next plan. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Well done! I love your story cuz you sound like you had some awesome adventures while improving your life and future!
I too was a rafting/rock climbing guide for 3 summers in between collage. It didn’t pay fantastic but I saved money and have memories to last a lifetime!
Working in collage don’t mean you miss out on fun. In fact being a guide gave me access to even more unique opportunities.
I love your story. I hope some collage students are reading this!
Financial Advisor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2012 · 156 posts · 194 votes
8y
@Joshua D. Ha! I rock climb as well. Ya, the pay wasn’t great but it was one of the few jobs that I constantly enjoyed-outside of my rentals. Who says work has to suck?
Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote
8y
I worked 30-40 hrs a weeks at a Sherwin Williams while in college and actually made a ton of great contacts as well as learned as many tips as I could from all the flippers and land lords that came in to buy paint for their properties. Worked out great!
I worked 60 hours a week at Waupaca Foundry while going to college full time. Made 60k a year while getting my degree in criminal justice, worked in that field for a little over a year and now I am a Plant Operations Manager which my degree doesn’t apply to at all so there is that haha