Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
Listening to this weeks podcast the guest made a statement that he would Never hire someone unless they had a job in collage. How many of you successful folks out there had a Job in collage?
Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 53 posts · 31 votes
8y
I'm just on the edge of being a millennial. Been working since I was 12. Took freshmen year of college off from working because I was worried about maintaining my scholarship's gpa but worked in the school's post office and daycare other years. Was in a sports team, so saved the "lunch money" provided by the school during away meets. Interned for major-related work senior year. Worked for non-profits during the summers-- 40 hours plus. Even sold knives for a bit. Graduated with 10k in pocket and a car that I paid 5k out of pocket (stupid, could have gone cheaper). No, I didn't live at home; the full ride was really key.
I see some people here saying it's possible to graduate with no debt just by working and I don't know. I think it really depends on the school. Tuition at my private school was about 40k a year; it's now 65k a year. I don't think I would have been able to pay all that by working without jeopardizing my grades (even more, lol).
For grad school, I was already working full-time in my field so paid half tuition every semester and then paid everything off 6 months after completion.
I agree that working while in college show grit/organization, etc but I see plenty of people who do well having never worked (In one of my freshman seminar, I found out I was the only one who worked before college) while in college. I feel like they have more of an ability to focus in general while people who worked while in college are good at juggling.
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
I’ve always worked. College was no exception.
My first job was a lawn business when I was 12. I dropped out of college in my junior year when my fitness business started making more money that graduates in my field would have.
Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 16 votes
8y
Nope, i always worked my tail off during the summers. I found high paying jobs so I didn’t have to be a slave employee in a college town making nothing but minimum wage. I’d try to start each year with $10k in my pocket to be used for fun/life.
Real Estate Broker · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 362 posts · 232 votes
8y
I did 16-20 hours, delivered newspapers and was either a waiter or a pizza delivery guy 30+ hours a week. I slept 2-3 hours before my route and I slept in my car 4 hours after delivering papers before going to class.
When I started full time at the architecture firm I worked days, took night classes 4 nights a week and waited tables fri/saturday and studied Sunday after doing a lunch shift.
Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
8y
I was never pivaleged in college so I was in the military and received the gi Montgomery bill, I bagged groceries s at the local Kroger’s and worked hours at the local college computer lab. See, kids are suppose toe work through college to Make money.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
8y
I went to college for 2 years and all my buddies and I looked around and said ( What are we doing here ? )
Almost all of us were already business owners in our late teens to early 20's. We were never going to work a lifetime for (the man). All of us were trailblazer types. Once you know you are an entrepreneur you just know nothing else will do.
If you are going to work for someone then sure having a job in college and not (coasting) with mommy and daddy's money can help to build character and work ethic.
I had already been working since I was 14 so already had a focus on work ethic.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
8y
Just to give context my father was killed in a car accident when I was 16 and I had a benefit to go to college for free so felt obligated to go for awhile in his memory ( after awhile I realized it was not my path in life ). I made straight A's in high school and I always learn new things everyday so I look at learning differently than some.
At some point I might go back for a real estate degree just for giggles.
Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
@Joshua D. Everyone has a different way to filter for good talent, and of course, working while you were in university alone as a parameter for success doesn't really mean much in the real world and certainly does mean anything in the grand scheme of things.
For the record, I worked throughout my time in university and definitely encourage folks to do the same. Frankly, the experience is irreplaceable. I learnt the foundations of sales and behavioral dynamics.
Controversially, the idea of going to university is now debatable and for good reasons, one of which is the democratization of knowledge by the advent of technology, notably the Internet.
In any case, the technical knowhow absorbed by folks at the university level is still very valuable (I mean who would build space ships for NASA)!
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
@Joshua D. I had a consistent 30-40 hr a week job when I was in school here in CT. It was not a job that required a whole lot of brain power or decision making though, but it paid the bills I needed to pay at the time.
Sandy, UT · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 21 votes
8y
I usually had two jobs, sometimes 3 during college. I waited tables, found a job as a telemarketer that was only 3 hours a day so I could squeeze it in between classes and evening restaurant shifts and I cleaned houses.
I certainly don't think you have to go to college to be successful, but I think you can see a pattern in people especially from that age since it's the first time people are generally "on their own" so to speak. Some people party and take 6 years to graduate, some people work 3 jobs and graduate early.
I will say, I wish I had done an internship in college- there were some really good opportunities that I didn't take because they weren't paid and I was paying all my own bills and buying my books (I had a scholarship so fortunately I didn't have to pay tuition or take out loans).
Yupers! I remember getting my first "real" job after collage and remember feeling so relaxed. Only working 45-50 hours a week felt like a breeze compared to the last 4 years... prolly why I picked up REI.