Analyze this! Just went to see what I thought would be a turn-key

Analyze this! Just went to see what I thought would be a turn-key

Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes

Ok, I just went out to look at my first potential deal.  Its a 3/2, 1,280 square foot single-wide MH, 1999 Fleetwood.  The title is free and clear according to the owner.  Its been on the market (meaning Zillow) since June.  There is no real estate agent working this property. The owners have already moved 10 hours away but did not finish some cosmetic renovations to the home prior to moving out.  They are motivated, asking $20K and willing to negotiate.  The state taxes of ~$350 are (if I remember correctly) due in December for 2016 and she said she really doesn't want to pay those, another reason for her motivation to sell.  There are paint cans and trim pieces piled up in the living room because the seller is in the middle of completing that project.  She says is just two hours worth of work but I tend to disagree after looking at the existing trim in the house, all the trim from the floor to the ceiling needs an overhaul to look new again.

In the five years they lived in the home the owners replaced or renovated the following:

AC, dishwasher, windows (double paned with blinds in between panes, can open to reach the blinds), flooring (throughout was very nice but I'd replace the peel-n-stick with laminate so it would be laminate throughout), sheetrock, texture, and paint throughout, ceiling fans and light fixtures throughout, sinks in both bathrooms, chain link fence dog run added, and a storage shed.

Other positives:  I talked to neighbors and they are very happy living there, there is a beautiful and big rec center, gym, kids playground, monthly potlucks, people wave to each other as they drive by, there's a craft group that meets, etc.  There are really nice homes in this park and not so nice ones that need a little work.  Large trees.  All the homes had skirting and seemed occupied.  Several homes looked less than five years old.  The neighbor who let me in said that the park maintains the trees.  I was very concerned about a large branch that went right over the master bedroom area of the house. I saw lawn crews next to the rec center.  Most lawns were well maintained.  No pets over 25 lbs.  All owners and tenants are subject to a background check.  I have yet to talk to the management about renting options.  Manager lives on-site.

Ok, those are the things that are positive about the home and community.

Now for the things I feel would need to be added/completed/renovated before ready for sale or rent:

New gutters - ~$800

Laminate flooring in kitchen and bathrooms to match entire house - estimated $500

Stove/Oven - ~$600

Fridge - $700

W/D (optional) - $600

Window in master bedroom - $200

Ceiling fan in master bedroom - $200

Kitchen sink - $200

Redo all door trim/paint all doors/rehang, replace or adjust a few doors - ~$500 (just a guess)

Add small door to water heater closet ~$100

New master bathtub - ~$800

3-4 panels of skirting need to be replaced - $ (no idea) but estimating $200

Ramp/Stairs/Deck leading to front door needs to be replaced - $1000

Landscaping in front - $200

Cleaning entire home to make ready for sale - $200

I'd like to get a foundation specialist to look under the home (free)

Roofing specialist to talk to me about the metal roof (free)

I need to ask her about the furnace (forced air) and its age and working condition.

I need to factor in about three months of lot rent (at $375 per month) for the renovations to be completed - $1125

And I'd like to have $1000 set aside for unexpected rehab expenses

GRAND TOTAL = $8925

This would mean that our negotiations to the seller would start at $11,075.

First, are these figures anywhere close to realistic?

Next, if I do some aggressive marketing for selling it and get a real estate agent to list it on the MLS, would I have a greater chance of getting it sold? My assumption is that its truly not move-in ready and that is why its been for sale for so long. It doesn't even have a stove and oven. I bet that most people looking to move are also looking for a move-in ready house, not a semi-move-in ready house.

The market value is $20,000.

What should be my asking price if I make all the renovations?

How long should it be on the market before I decide to try to screen for tenants?

What should I charge for monthly rent? Deposit?

Where do I start looking for contractors who work on MHs?

If I decide to go forward with purchasing the property, other than a Bill of Sale, what documents do I need?  I've seen people mention an SOL.  What is that for and why do I need it?  I'm keeping the property where it is, not moving it.

What else do I need to do?  I'm hoping to make this deal to get the first one over with and to create a net of at least 10% so I can put money into learning more about MH Investing. (I'm leaning toward the Mobile Home Formula course.)

Whew, that was a long post.  Thanks for making it this far.  I appreciate your input.

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

disabled · Orange, TX · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 2 votes
10y

first off look up the value of the home in the NADA for manufactured homes they have it just like for cars that'll give you a price on it this is a Fleetwood Fleetwoods are not the best Homes built. You need to find out the second name of that Fleetwood. That second name should be on the manufacturer's label which is located under the sink by the hot water heater in the closet of the master bedroom it will tell you all the information about it you do need to have someone look underneath the home to make sure the frame is still in good shape and that the axles are still in good shape and that there is a tongue with that home also getting that home down in the five to $10,000 range would be a good idea considering the work that you need to do to it you have to make sure that it is braced for a ceiling fan if you're going to add one the trim that's in there is it thats that flimsy trim or is it a good court around there's a whole bunch you have to look at buying parts for manufactured homes there are in certain places in building Centers. Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • disabled · Orange, TX · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    first off look up the value of the home in the NADA for manufactured homes they have it just like for cars that'll give you a price on it this is a Fleetwood Fleetwoods are not the best Homes built. You need to find out the second name of that Fleetwood. That second name should be on the manufacturer's label which is located under the sink by the hot water heater in the closet of the master bedroom it will tell you all the information about it you do need to have someone look underneath the home to make sure the frame is still in good shape and that the axles are still in good shape and that there is a tongue with that home also getting that home down in the five to $10,000 range would be a good idea considering the work that you need to do to it you have to make sure that it is braced for a ceiling fan if you're going to add one the trim that's in there is it thats that flimsy trim or is it a good court around there's a whole bunch you have to look at buying parts for manufactured homes there are in certain places in building Centers. Good luck

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Leonard Maddox:

    first off look up the value of the home in the NADA for manufactured homes they have it

    My husband is a loan officer so he can access this info.

    getting that home down in the five to $10,000 range would be a good idea considering the work that you need to do to it

    Just got off the phone with the seller.  They're sticking firm to $20K. 

    So, at this point, do we just make our offer of $11K and see what they do?  Then we walk away nicely and see if they call us back?

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    @JohnFedro @RachelH, I'd love to know what you think of this deal.

  • Greeley, CO · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    You have said what price they want to sell it to you for, but how much could you get on resale? K
  • disabled · Orange, TX · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    no you can stay in touch and wait them out be nice to him and courteous just calling back in 30 days or 60 days and ask him if they've gotten any other bids on their house and that you are still interested

  • disabled · Orange, TX · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    no you can stay in touch and wait them out be nice to him and courteous just calling back in 30 days or 60 days and ask him if they've gotten any other bids on their house and that you are still interested also I'll let you know I'm around a manufactured home business for around five years and rebuilt quite a few homes. I also used to buy a lot of used homes when they have been this old I only paid 1 to 5000 for them

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Ashley Wolfe  what do you want it for .. if its worth 20k  and it has 8k in repairs and you offer 11k.. were does that get you.. maybe I am missing something.

    if your intentions are to use it as a rental. if its in a park just double check they allow rentals. some parks as you probably know do not

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Ashley Wolfe  what do you want it for .. if its worth 20k  and it has 8k in repairs and you offer 11k.. were does that get you.. maybe I am missing something.

    if your intentions are to use it as a rental. if its in a park just double check they allow rentals. some parks as you probably know do not

    Thank you for asking. My end goal is to fix and flip this property. I would list it on the MLS and as many other online platforms as possible with a price of $27,000. I found another exact make and model that was fully rehabbed for this price in San Antonio. It looked great.

    Plan B is to rent it out.  I need to talk to park management about it.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    Many properties in my area (DFW) are being sold for more than what appears on our county tax assessor's website for 2014/2015. For example, my 3/2/2, 1200sf SFH has a value of $80,000 according to the tax assessor. However, we could list our home tomorrow for $140K.

    Clearly I understand that I'm comparing apples to oranges bc a mobile home is not officially real estate and our house is.

    My point is, I think (and I could be wrong) that I could rehab this property and sell it for $27K.

    Thank you all for the input, this really helps as BP is my one and only location for industry professionals to weigh in on this situation.

    I know my first deal won't be... well, ideal.  But hey, I want to do a little more than break even and get one under my belt.

    I'm also trying to talk to a different seller who lives in a pre-1985 2/1, owes about $700 in taxes (no lien), and is asking $4000.  Needs new AC and extensive work although I don't know how extensive yet. She hasn't picked up the phone.  Property is not on market.  This is info given to me by park mgr.

  • Urbana, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 425 votes
    10y

    I have to agree with @Leonard Maddox on most of what he's got to say; keep in touch for a number of days and you might get an awesome price on it. MHs are a bit different that SFHs because people can't find financing for them as easily and you also have a park that is going to have their own approval process. Something I do when I have to give that low ball offer while on the phone is I say something along the lines of "Well Mr./Mrs. Seller, you've got a great home with some great potential. My partner and I went back on forth on numbers and we came to a number. Unfortunately, it is very low. I know you're looking for 20k and we're just unable to come up to that number comfortably to make this feel like a safe deal for us. I'd rather not even tell you because its such an insulting number" I've not had a time where they haven't asked what that number is and I haven't had a time where they got mad about it; after all, they asked for the number after you warned them. 

    I would say keep this one on the back burner and it might turn into a deal but when you guys are at 50% of their asking its not going to happen yet. There are plenty of other deals out there.

  • disabled · Orange, TX · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    I agree in that is an awesome way to put it I will remember this

  • Investor · Kyle, TX · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 102 votes
    10y

    Could also frame your offer with "I can give you cash right now, and you can move on to your more important goals". And you can mention "We can do this right now so that you won't have to pay those property taxes!" You've discovered what the seller WANTS, and that's the key. Poke at those needs, and solve the sellers problems. Use the style that fits you so that the language feels natural to you, and stick to your price parameters for what a "good deal" means to you.

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Wow, you have gotten some great advice. DONT BUY IT AT THAT PRICE. Let them know you are willing to buy it cash for about 3k or 5k. Thats right, 5K. Remember you are going to probably have to owner finance this property. Maybe you can get 3 or 4k down, but most people will not be able to come up with 10k or 15k immediately(your sales price).  The great news is: you can owner finance for about 3 or 4 years at 15%, probably AS IS.

    Most folks who are looking for a place like this will be more than willing to take it as is if you can finance. Tax season is just around the corner. I think most of your potential buyers will have 3k, 4k or even 6k as a tax return refund.

    Mobiles are a different asset class and the owners are not quite the same as someone looking for a SFH, keep that in mind.

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    ps if they are stuck at that price, they are not that motivated. WALK. There are plenty of other deals out there.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Sure thing @Ashley Wolfe. If the home is vacant, most likely they're motivated. 

    Being out of town owners will make it hard to view the home and establish rapport. Your best bet is to try to build the relationship over the phone and get to know the sellers. Most investors try to focus on the deal first and set the relationship aside. Unfortunately, this makes it harder to put deals together. If going this route, it's mostly a numbers game. But if you can learn how to build relationships in this business, then you'll stack the odds in your favor (and perhaps only have to work fewer leads!). 

    Once you get to know the sellers and gain their trust (it may take a few conversations going back and forth), then you should ask them if you could get a few estimates from contractors on the work needing to be performed and go from there. If they say "yes," then start getting your estimates together. Try to get a few estimates for each job needing repairs. 

    Keep the sellers updated on a regular basis as you obtain the estimates. This will show you're serious and helps to build rapport. People need to keep hearing from you to build trust. 

    After you've got all the estimates together, arrange a time to talk/meet with the sellers and present your offer based on your research. Also, you'll need to know the market values in the area which can be obtained by the park manager and local mobile home dealerships. 

    Regarding the numbers, you'll have to make a decision based on your risk tolerance. When I first started out, many real estate investors gave me certain numbers based on their experience. But what I learned (with over a decade of experience), is that a "deal" is different for everyone. Had I listened to some of the advice given to me in the past, I may not be where I am today.

    Hope that helps. If you need help on the topic of finding and interviewing contractors, I cover it extensively in my last book. 

    Best of luck! 

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rachel H.:

    Once you get to know the sellers and gain their trust (it may take a few conversations going back and forth), then you should ask them if you could get a few estimates from contractors on the work needing to be performed and go from there. If they say "yes," then start getting your estimates together. Try to get a few estimates for each job needing repairs. 

    Great advice, thanks so much for your response!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.