MY GIFT TO BIGGER POCKETS MH INVESTORS

MY GIFT TO BIGGER POCKETS MH INVESTORS

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes

This is one chapter from the book I am writing and will be included in my mentoring program in the future. Give me your input or ideas please.



There are several reasons why I believe that park managers are the fastest road to success with finding good deals on mobile homes. Every mobile home that I have purchased was from a referral from a park manger and they were great prices. I have spent many thousands of dollars trying to find mobile homes in other ways and all I did was lose dollars pursing over priced deals.. I even acquired a TX Retail Brokers License and wasted time with the Repos. I have let my license expire as of the moment and I will renew before I wish to sell. All the license did was change my mindset for the negative.

Many of the individuals are just to lazy to do the footwork required to find a good deal on a mobile home. Or to timid to go though the mobile home parks and speak to the people that live their, due to stereotype which are all to often true.

You have no choice but speak with the park manager, so you should do it first off this is a good approach for the timid. If you spend some time with a park manager they will very often bring the deals to you.

The best method is to approach a park manager is as an investor. When I go to the park office and ask for a few minutes of their time. I will simply sit down and tell them I am an investor looking to acquire and possible move a few mobile homes into their park. Generally they will not question you. I then ask them a few questions about the park.

There are many things you must know from the manager.

1) Do they allow Investors in their park?

This simply lets you know if rental homes are allowed. If they do not, find out if they are interested in buying some of your mobile homes in the future as they most likely own a large percentage of the homes in the park and owner finance or rent to own these homes themselves.

2) What are the current lot rents?

When you find out the lot rents, make sure the manager knows that you will be paying the lot rents directly to her and not your tenants making the payments. This lets her know there is less headaches for her and the payments will always be on time. You are renting the lot space, they are renting a mobile home from you.

3) When is payment due?

This is obvious; also find out what day payment is late? This should never be a problem as you are paying the lot rents yourself, not the tenant.

4.) Find out if your tenants can drop off their rent checks at her onsite office if they have one and you can pick them up there when you bring your monthly lot rents?

If you give him/her park manager a little money every month, she can often start the eviction process for you if tenants are late by posted your states required X day vacate notice. In Houston Texas it is 3 days before you set the court date for the eviction if they do not bring their account current and pay all the glorious late fees. Again make sure you pay her for any fees that were occurred while beginning the eviction process.

4) What is the maximum age of a home allowed in the park?

This is very important as it will give you a good idea of the quality and value of the park. I also believe it is much easier to sell in a nicer park. From personal pains I have learned that a park that allows homes over 20 years of age to be moved into it, is going to be a headache when it come time to sell. Many of these parks are truly trailer parks and they have the reputations that we have all come to fear. High drug, gangs and prostitution problems often accompany these park. Well at least in the Houston TX area. Things could be very different where you reside.

I have learned that older homes have too many repairs for their worth and it is difficult to get a tenant buyer in them. If you find a home that is just to sweet of a deal to pass up and you buy it for VERY cheap, you can try and market it as a handy man special and still sell for 2 times what you purchased it for with great financing rates. Please check state laws for how they define “Habitable†before you sell. If you do buy an older home, do not move the home if you can avoid it. It may fall apart while it is being moved.

6) Do the homes require skirting? And does the tongue have to be removed?

You need to know these things, as tongue removal and skirting are extra money you must add to your moving and installation fees. I prefer homes in nicer parks that require such skirting. Homes with no skirting are often used as storage areas for the MH owners junk. This drops the appearance of the whole park. Thus resulting in it becoming more difficult for you to locate your tenant/buyer. We have also seen cats and other animals tear into the ac duct work and make a nice air conditioned house for themselves and their litter. You don’t want to see the electricity bill when this happen to you. Put on the skirting.

7) What services does the park offer? Such as Lawn Maintenance, Trash Dumpster, Water, Laundry Swimming pool, recreation area?

What is paid for by the park and what is paid for by the tenants? Water and sewage are two of the greatest monthly expenses that a park owner must pay. In return they can make quite a difference in the monthly lot rent if they are paid by the park.

8) Do they have a maintenance man that will set up the electricity, AC, water etc after the home is moved into the park, and does he work on the side and does he have the current license?

I try to keep all of my money spent in the same park where my homes are located as it builds a loyalty base. Also you are seen as a friend and not just an investor. A friend is a great thing to be with the park employees.. Do not be a friend with your tenants unless you like losing money and experiencing a ton of drama every month.

9) Find out what they offer you to motivate you to move your homes into their park. My favorite park allows us to move our homes into them and they do not charge us lot rent until we have a tenant in the home. This saves use several hundreds of dollars each time. This process amazes me, How many homes can you place in one park. This is truly a wonderful thing for an investor. Let’s suppose over a few years you move 15 - 20 homes into a 60 unit park. How much control do you now have over that park 33% I am sure you are an asset to the park owners. now and your actions and the actions of your tenants can make quite a difference In the value of their park.

Allow the manager the chance to work for you.

After you have this basic conversation mentioned above and build some rapport. Find out if they know of any mobile homes that are for sale in their park by personal owners. You will be pleased to find out that when individuals in the park chose to sell their home, the first person they often contact is the park manager and see if the park would like to buy their home. Even if the park buys mobile home in their parks be sure to find out and check with them often.

The second mobile home I ever purchased was through this manner, This home was in a park that generally buys all the newer home for sale by individual owners with clear title. Lucky for me this park had too many empty homes on their books at the previous time and they were not buying any more until their inventory was sold.

This home was less than 10 years of age, I purchased it from a man whos job sent him out of state. Obviously he was not going to pay several thousands of dollars to move it across state lines and then it may not have been the correct wind zone for his new location. Long story short, I purchased this home for $7,000.00 I put in new carpet and paint $1,500.00. The home was sold within 1 month for $16,000 cash. This really excited me as many people told me you can never sell a home for that much cash. Remember people to weak to follow their own dreams will always do their best to discourage yours. I would have never found this home without following up and offering a referral fee to the park manager. I think I paid her $150.00. That is cheap. How much advertising can you do in the local papers for $150.00? Not much.

Let the Manager sell the home for you.

As of today I have never found a manager in an investor friendly park that was not more than happy to sell the home for you.

If possible, the phone # I put on all advertisement to sell the home will be the park managers number. Offer her what you both agree is a fair amount. This is particularly effective if you are planning on financing the sale of this home. I would never allow anyone other than a cash buyer to move my home, so the home will remain in the park.

When the manager finds a buyer that meets your qualifications he/she has to be involved anyway as it is her job to make sure they meet the requirements to live in the park. They will handle the background check, credit check and rental history for your tenant buyer. Remember just because they have cash does not mean the park rules will allow them to reside there. If your buyer can not live in a mobile home park, they are probably a piece of trash you don’t want in your home anyhow.

Once again, when the papers are signed, immediately give the manager her referral fees in cash. The more money you put in her hands when buying or selling a mobile home, the better birddog she will become.

8Reply
82 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
17y

Curious why you would be paying lot rents? Are you lease optioning these or selling on installment sales contracts? Most good parks will not allow lease options. Also wondering why you wouldn't want to keep up your dealers liscense? Isn't there laws in your state that limmit the number of mobile homes you can sell each year with out being a dealer? How about the IRS? My understanding is that if you are in the business to buy and sell mobile homes at a profit then you need to be a dealer and the IRS will treat you this way on installment sales regardless so why not just keep the liscense? Also you will never be able to sell notes to anyone other than a private investor without the credibility of being a dealer, park owner or lender.
We do a lot of partial purchases with park owners and dealers that allows them to free up cash to go buy more unites and create more notes. This keeps the snowball rolling! You can retain part of the monthly cash flow and the back end of the note :)

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    17y

    There's a lot of good info here. I am working on land/home deals and haven't worked in parks, but what you say makes good sense.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    There's a lot of good info here. I am working on land/home deals and haven't worked in parks, but what you say makes good sense.

    I will have mailer going out to all the praks in Dalls soon. What are you looking for?

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y

    I just updated this chapter in my book. Please give me in put or let me know what i may be missing. Thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y

    Mike, What a great quote:

    "Remember people to weak to follow their own dreams will always do their best to discourage yours."

    Sounds like a lot of the people I've been around in the past.

    Jeff

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 85 posts · 23 votes
    17y

    Don't forget to mention about renters having to qualify for the park. Also, that your rental agreement should adjust along with increases in park rent or other fees.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Ricky Ostrom:
    Don't forget to mention about renters having to qualify for the park. Also, that your rental agreement should adjust along with increases in park rent or other fees.

    You don't need to worry about that, Obviously the park manager knows they have to approved through her before they can buy an owner finance home. She is the one showing the house for you silly.

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    17y

    Curious why you would be paying lot rents? Are you lease optioning these or selling on installment sales contracts? Most good parks will not allow lease options. Also wondering why you wouldn't want to keep up your dealers liscense? Isn't there laws in your state that limmit the number of mobile homes you can sell each year with out being a dealer? How about the IRS? My understanding is that if you are in the business to buy and sell mobile homes at a profit then you need to be a dealer and the IRS will treat you this way on installment sales regardless so why not just keep the liscense? Also you will never be able to sell notes to anyone other than a private investor without the credibility of being a dealer, park owner or lender.
    We do a lot of partial purchases with park owners and dealers that allows them to free up cash to go buy more unites and create more notes. This keeps the snowball rolling! You can retain part of the monthly cash flow and the back end of the note :)

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y

    Marc, I do not know anything about Michigan and I guess you don't know so much about Houston, TX. America is BIG country.

    Now Selling all depends on How you sell. Do you Retail Sell? or do you rent to own, That is the question. And I have homes in parks with over 300 lots and only 1 or 2 vacancies and they sell lease option. So I would say that the wise parks allow in investors.

    No why do I pay the lot rent? I add it to the Monthly payments that the tenant/buyer pays to me. I always write the check and give it to the park owners/manager

    The park NEVER has to worry about getting any of their money from my tenant. I come in and pay for all of the lot rents at one time. I make the payments so they have MUCH less headache. And they know they will get their money. Come the morning of the 5th. The park manager is putting out 3 day notices on the doors. If she does not have a check dropped off for me, She does not mind putting up a 3 day vacate notice on my bad tenants door for me.

    She gets paid no matter what.

    I
    n fact several parks give me free lot rent when I move my homes into their parks until I have a tenant buyer. They want me in their parks. I am easy money to them. Does that make since?

    Originally posted by Marc Faulkner:
    Curious why you would be paying lot rents? Are you lease optioning these or selling on installment sales contracts? Most good parks will not allow lease options. Also wondering why you wouldn't want to keep up your dealers liscense? Isn't there laws in your state that limmit the number of mobile homes you can sell each year with out being a dealer? How about the IRS? My understanding is that if you are in the business to buy and sell mobile homes at a profit then you need to be a dealer and the IRS will treat you this way on installment sales regardless so why not just keep the liscense? Also you will never be able to sell notes to anyone other than a private investor without the credibility of being a dealer, park owner or lender.
    We do a lot of partial purchases with park owners and dealers that allows them to free up cash to go buy more unites and create more notes. This keeps the snowball rolling! You can retain part of the monthly cash flow and the back end of the note :)


  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    17y

    We have actually traded millions of dollars worth of Texas chatel paper over the years and I understand the process there well. Check out the reccomendation from Mitch Stephen on our site and then check out Mitch.
    No offense but, your method seems like a bunch of extra hassle to me. The park manager puts up late notices if someone is late paying the lot rent regardless, it's part of the job. I don't see why you need to take on the extra layer of responsibility when this should fall into the hands of your buyers the same as insurance and all maintainence. This is the advantage of being the bank vs. the landlord. Parks are offering incentives all over the place if you ask for them. I agree with you that there is no reason in working in a community where the management or owners are not making it easy for you to do business there!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y

    Sounds Good I will Check out what you say. Thanks for the info. I will give it a look soon.

    BTW I have bought 2 mobiles and 1 land home since my last post on this sight. All personal sales all 50% of retail value.

    Originally posted by Marc Faulkner:
    We have actually traded millions of dollars worth of Texas chatel paper over the years and I understand the process there well. Check out the reccomendation from Mitch Stephen on our site and then check out Mitch.
    No offense but, your method seems like a bunch of extra hassle to me. The park manager puts up late notices if someone is late paying the lot rent regardless, it's part of the job. I don't see why you need to take on the extra layer of responsibility when this should fall into the hands of your buyers the same as insurance and all maintainence. This is the advantage of being the bank vs. the landlord. Parks are offering incentives all over the place if you ask for them. I agree with you that there is no reason in working in a community where the management or owners are not making it easy for you to do business there!


  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    17y

    Mike,

    I don't do MH, but I did read your "book chapter" posting. I would suggest you have somebody (say an editor) polish the grammar a bit. You have used the word "to" where the intent was to use "too" from the context of what is being said. In another place, you have used "pursing" where you meant "pursuing". These are kind of nit-picky maybe, but the spell-checker software still isn't as good as a the properly trained/educated human when it comes to grammar.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y

    I agree with you 100% My Grammer could use some work. I remember I hated english in school and I still have no real interest in it today. I will hire en editor for the future. thanks for pointing it out.

    LET THE WORLD KNOW, My grammer is less than perfect, but my methods work magic.


    quote=Steve Babiak]Mike,

    I don't do MH, but I did read your "book chapter" posting. I would suggest you have somebody (say an editor) polish the grammar a bit. You have used the word "to" where the intent was to use "too" from the context of what is being said. In another place, you have used "pursing" where you meant "pursuing". These are kind of nit-picky maybe, but the spell-checker software still isn't as good as a the properly trained/educated human when it comes to grammar.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Mike, who's doing the writing for you?

    I just sent my e-book project into someone who's had very high reviews to clean it up for me and fix spelling, grammar etc....

    If you're interest I can PM you her info/website. I'll tell ya she's not the cheapest but she's worth the price I'm paying her.

    When is your book going to be done? I'll buy a copy

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y

    I am bumping this back to the top as man people keep asking me the same question. This is good info the beginner. Happy Mobile Home Investing.

  • Real Estate Investor · GA · Member since 2009 · 43 posts · 22 votes
    17y

    Thanks for sharing this information. I found it very interesting.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Michael Perry:
    Thanks for sharing this information. I found it very interesting.

    Thank You, Doing these simple things every months produces me much more money than my 9-5 ever did, and I average 3 homes a month. It is now time to step it up and hire me some employees.

    Keep it up and happy home hunting.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    16y

    Do to the amazing and rapid growth of BP I am bumping this to the top again. This is in my opinion all you need to know to make it investing in mobile homes.

    , or you can learn fro FREE from park managers.

    If anyone needs me personally, please reach me though my own website. I am very busy and sad to sad I do not have the time to check BP as often as I should. This is a fantastic site here. I wish [LINK REMOVED] could emulate it :roll:

  • Member since 2010 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Mike,

    This short glimpse has some great information. Really very good and concise. I hope to get started soon myself. (Investing, not writing)

    I sent you an email ref: editing through your site. Let me know!

    Thanks again,
    Blake

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    16y

    Fellow Wobbly Box investors. I stree this again. 1000 mailers went out recently to 3 mobile home parks. Every home was hit in the mailer. I still make more money just by talking with park managers.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2010 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    this is awesome stuff. I am just about to buy a lot/home near the coast in WA for a retiree. I had no idea about lease to own problems or rent to own restrictions in MHPs, and even if there aren't it's good to know that there might be.

    What is the deal with this IRS problem about buying a home and maybe 6 months later, selling it? if they classify my LLC as a broker dealer, wouldnt you just open another LLC?

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by MANUEL VALBUENA:
    this is awesome stuff. I am just about to buy a lot/home near the coast in WA for a retiree. I had no idea about lease to own problems or rent to own restrictions in MHPs, and even if there aren't it's good to know that there might be.

    What is the deal with this IRS problem about buying a home and maybe 6 months later, selling it? if they classify my LLC as a broker dealer, wouldnt you just open another LLC?


    I do not see how they would ever find out if you are keeping the title and Selling "Rent to Own?

    My accountant wants me to open an LLC for every new home I buy. We will see.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tom Farris:
    Mike,

    This short glimpse has some great information. Really very good and concise. I hope to get started soon myself. (Investing, not writing)

    I sent you an email ref: editing through your site. Let me know!

    Tom I need your e-mail, I am ready to put this book to press and My grammar needs some work.

    Contact ,e through my web site please.

    Thanks again,
    Blake



  • Real Estate Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 40 votes
    16y

    I read this thread with interest as I manage a 20-acre mobile home park.
    I actually joined BP because they have this forum.

    Not all mobile home park owners will permit investors to move in mobile homes. We do, but that is an exception in our area. We also do lease-options on our mobiles..we find that the tenant takes better care of the mobile using this method. I really didn't understand one post "most good parks won't allow lease-options". It really is the preference of the park owner.

    I personally think the best avenue to use to buy mobile homes is looking at your local community newspaper. The ones that sell for $1.00 and come out every week. From my experience, this is where you will find alot of mobile homes for sale, and don't forget about Craigslist. If you're not afraid to buy out of state, then Ebay is a really good place to find mobiles for sale and also a good place to sell them.

    Matthew, you provided alot of good information for folks, but I personally manage the Park a little differently than some of the methods you have in the chapter you provided.

    Every state has different state laws. In my state of SC, a 5-day notice is required. I don't post these notices on the tenants door. I actually have the notice within the lease. Otherwise the notice would have to be mailed certified to the tenant (SC law).

    For someone just starting out or even for a seasoned investor, mobile home investing is a sound, lucrative business.

    Just my two cents

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    16y

    Thanks for the advice Deborah, it is always appreciated.

    Originally posted by Deborah Mettler:

    I read this thread with interest as I manage a 20-acre mobile home park.
    I actually joined BP because they have this forum.

    Not all mobile home park owners will permit investors to move in mobile homes. We do, but that is an exception in our area. We also do lease-options on our mobiles..we find that the tenant takes better care of the mobile using this method. I really didn't understand one post "most good parks won't allow lease-options". It really is the preference of the park owner.

    I personally think the best avenue to use to buy mobile homes is looking at your local community newspaper. The ones that sell for $1.00 and come out every week. From my experience, this is where you will find alot of mobile homes for sale, and don't forget about Craigslist. If you're not afraid to buy out of state, then Ebay is a really good place to find mobiles for sale and also a good place to sell them.

    Matthew, you provided alot of good information for folks, but I personally manage the Park a little differently than some of the methods you have in the chapter you provided.

    Every state has different state laws. In my state of SC, a 5-day notice is required. I don't post these notices on the tenants door. I actually have the notice within the lease. Otherwise the notice would have to be mailed certified to the tenant (SC law).

    For someone just starting out or even for a seasoned investor, mobile home investing is a sound, lucrative business.

    Just my two cents



  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 58 votes
    15y

    I am bumping this post, asit seems many people are asking me the same questions, over and over again.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.