Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
CJ M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
Kids throwing rocks at windows nearly everyday. Won't stop.

CJ M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canton, OH
Posted Nov 21 2021, 07:52

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I've run into something I haven't had to deal with in the past. Not sure if there's much else I can do, but wanted to post what's going on here to see if I'm missing anything.

About a month ago 2 kids (maybe 14 years old) who get off the school bus 2 houses down, started throwing rocks at one my rentals. They've been doing it at least 1-2 times a week in broad daylight around the same time. So far they've shattered an 8 ft picture window (it's currently boarded up). 2 storm windows, and another bedroom window. On top of that, they put holes in the siding every time they miss a window. Tenant swears she's done nothing to provoke them. She did say she thinks it's intentional because it's happened to neighbors in the past. She also said an older guy came to her house around the time this started asking for money and she turned him down. His kids perhaps?

So far, I installed a solar Ring camera facing the back of the house (they have snuck around there in the past). She also just installed a Vivint? Security system where the doorbell sees the bus stop and the front of her property. There are also sensors on her doors and windows now. We have at least 6 police reports filed and video of them running away when they saw me sitting on the front step. Nothing of them throwing the rocks yet because each time they see someone now they run away. They always have covid masks on too. The city assigned a detective, and I thought this would be an easy thing to resolve since we know they get off the bus (some days) at the same time/spot. Unfortunately, this keeps dragging on and they continue to harass this tenant and destroy the property.

Should I tell the tenant to let them throw a couple rocks so we can finally get them on video?

Loading replies...