Kids throwing rocks at windows nearly everyday. Won't stop.

Kids throwing rocks at windows nearly everyday. Won't stop.

Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I've run into something I haven't had to deal with in the past. Not sure if there's much else I can do, but wanted to post what's going on here to see if I'm missing anything.

About a month ago 2 kids (maybe 14 years old) who get off the school bus 2 houses down, started throwing rocks at one my rentals. They've been doing it at least 1-2 times a week in broad daylight around the same time. So far they've shattered an 8 ft picture window (it's currently boarded up). 2 storm windows, and another bedroom window. On top of that, they put holes in the siding every time they miss a window. Tenant swears she's done nothing to provoke them. She did say she thinks it's intentional because it's happened to neighbors in the past. She also said an older guy came to her house around the time this started asking for money and she turned him down. His kids perhaps?

So far, I installed a solar Ring camera facing the back of the house (they have snuck around there in the past). She also just installed a Vivint? Security system where the doorbell sees the bus stop and the front of her property. There are also sensors on her doors and windows now. We have at least 6 police reports filed and video of them running away when they saw me sitting on the front step. Nothing of them throwing the rocks yet because each time they see someone now they run away. They always have covid masks on too. The city assigned a detective, and I thought this would be an easy thing to resolve since we know they get off the bus (some days) at the same time/spot. Unfortunately, this keeps dragging on and they continue to harass this tenant and destroy the property.

Should I tell the tenant to let them throw a couple rocks so we can finally get them on video?

4Reply
503 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

Why not try hiring a private detective to follow the kids home and then turn them into the Police (file a lawsuit against the parents, and a restraining order against the 14 year olds).

You only need to find the home of one, and he will Rat Out the rest under the (perceived) "third Degree" questioning by the Police Officers.

They might still throw rocks, but at least you can get a handle on it some what.

Maybe a witch lives there, or a monster, or a ghost--who knows--it's kids..(???)

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

86 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Why not try hiring a private detective to follow the kids home and then turn them into the Police (file a lawsuit against the parents, and a restraining order against the 14 year olds).

    You only need to find the home of one, and he will Rat Out the rest under the (perceived) "third Degree" questioning by the Police Officers.

    They might still throw rocks, but at least you can get a handle on it some what.

    Maybe a witch lives there, or a monster, or a ghost--who knows--it's kids..(???)

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Scott Mac

    Not a bad idea. I'm assuming this route is going to be pretty costly?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Scott Mac

    Not a bad idea. I'm assuming this route is going to be pretty costly?

     Depends on how many days it takes to follow them home.

    Get pics too, and maybe they do it just to get a reaction from the renter(???)

    You won't know prices unless you call a few.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Sorry for the lengthy post, but I've run into something I haven't had to deal with in the past. Not sure if there's much else I can do, but wanted to post what's going on here to see if I'm missing anything.

    About a month ago 2 kids (maybe 14 years old) who get off the school bus 2 houses down, started throwing rocks at one my rentals. They've been doing it at least 1-2 times a week in broad daylight around the same time. So far they've shattered an 8 ft picture window (it's currently boarded up). 2 storm windows, and another bedroom window. On top of that, they put holes in the siding every time they miss a window. Tenant swears she's done nothing to provoke them. She did say she thinks it's intentional because it's happened to neighbors in the past. She also said an older guy came to her house around the time this started asking for money and she turned him down. His kids perhaps?

    So far, I installed a solar Ring camera facing the back of the house (they have snuck around there in the past). She also just installed a Vivint? Security system where the doorbell sees the bus stop and the front of her property. There are also sensors on her doors and windows now. We have at least 6 police reports filed and video of them running away when they saw me sitting on the front step. Nothing of them throwing the rocks yet because each time they see someone now they run away. They always have covid masks on too. The city assigned a detective, and I thought this would be an easy thing to resolve since we know they get off the bus (some days) at the same time/spot. Unfortunately, this keeps dragging on and they continue to harass this tenant and destroy the property.

    Should I tell the tenant to let them throw a couple rocks so we can finally get them on video?

    Believe it or not, I had much the same scenario happen to me. Older black man came up to me asking for money on the sidewalk, I told him no, suddenly my corner window ended up broken. A couple white neighborhood kids hinted they knew who it was but were afraid to tell me because they wanted no trouble with black kids.

    The solution is money: lights, and cameras. Not one or two. Get an eight-camera night-vision system with a DVR and mount them all. Get motion-detection light-up floodlights, it's getting dark earlier now. White 5000K daylight LED security lights. And signs. Blanket your place with signs that closed-circuit cameras are recording everything 24/7.

    Keep calling the cops when this happens. Sooner or later, one will recognize the kids and go have a talk with them, inform them that you have them on camera multiple times.

    Once it's clear that you're going to assert your ownership and that that you'll spend money on cameras, they'll slink away. They made you spend money. That's their victory. Let them have it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 329 posts · 203 votes
    4y

    I was going to say the same thing as Scott. If these kids are walking home it would not be expensive to hire someone to look at which house they are going to, (doesn't necessarily have to be a private investigator but to be clear you would be hiring them as "security" for the property not hiring them to stalk anyone) look up the parents on the county tax assessors site, and threaten a lawsuit. I would bring it to the parents first as they are probably not aware that this is happening, and if it continues you can seek further legal action against the family. I'm sure you could find someone to do this for 10-20 bucs an hour. If not, an attorney in your area should have a skip tracer for you to serve the family with a cease and desist letter. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jim K.

    Thanks! The interesting thing is, they are doing this at the same time in broad daylight. Is any recommendations for a camera system? I'm wondering if I can just have have the security company that's being used now install some more.

  • Rental Property Investor · VA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Hi @Account Closed, 

    You might consider posting a sign that the house is "under surveillance". This could deter the culprits. If your tenant was interested, a strategically positioned outdoor Ring camera would more than likely catch them in the act. It might be a little pricey but much cheaper than replacing multiple windows. 

    Best of luck, 

    Christie

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Christie O'Malley:

    Hi @Account Closed, 

    You might consider posting a sign that the house is "under surveillance". This could deter the culprits. If your tenant was interested, a strategically positioned outdoor Ring camera would more than likely catch them in the act. It might be a little pricey but much cheaper than replacing multiple windows. 

    Best of luck, 

    Christie

    I have 3 signs there now (2 in front and 1 in back) 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Jim K.

    Thanks! The interesting thing is, they are doing this at the same time in broad daylight. Is any recommendations for a camera system? I'm wondering if I can just have have the security company that's being used now install some more.

    I say the same thing every time. Night Owl. You want surveillance cameras that are obviously surveillance cameras.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Account Closed  if you know who they are  I would try to catch it on video and not intervene so you can prosecute. If you don't know who they are first ask the bus driver what school the bus is coming from or hire someone to meet them at the bus stop to determine where they live.  Not sure if you could get a restraining order but your tenant might be able to do a no trespass.  Has your detective actually done anything or are they just assigned to placate you?    Are there any police patrols going through the neighborhood since this has happened before?

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Colleen F.

    Good idea about asking the bus driver. I'm also going to call the 2 middle schools tomorrow to see if they can intervene. Detective hasn't done anything yet. Last I spoke with him he said his dept is "overwhelmed do to having only to adolescent detectives...and getting the students names isn't easy and I may need a judge? to sign off to get the school to share the info."

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Give the bus driver a note with your name, number, and message that you will pay her for providing the names of the kids that are destroying your property.  Or, follow them home...or get Vinny to do it.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Meet them at the bus stop a few times. Explain the situation politely. If that fails and the police fail you........well there are people.....

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Mike Dymski

    The thing I want to be careful about is them knowing who I am specifically. Right now it's pretty much them versus the property. I have another property right across the street, and I don't want them to start targeting it if they learn I own it as well.

    Also, when this older guy asked my tenant for money, she said he bumped his waist with his elbow and made the comment "oh I just bumped my gun."

    Last thing I want is any violence.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Surely the police can get a list of the names of the kids who get off the bus at that stop and compare their photos in the video to them in person when they go to talk to each of the parents.  If they do it regularly, sit outside the place in your car when the bus stops and then see where they go.  You can get their address that way as well, but honestly the police can get what they need from the bus driver.

    I also agree with putting up a sign that says there are cameras.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Mike Dymski

    Last thing I want is any violence.

     Do you or can you carry?

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @CJ M. Call the police.

  • Investor · Almont, MI · Member since 2015 · 360 posts · 302 votes
    4y

    I have some units in a rural area that have had the mailboxes bashed over off the 2 x 2 post two separate times. I figure it was local kids hitting them with baseball bats or with a car. I put a laminated sign up I downloaded from the USPS on the post saying to report any mail tampering and that it is a federal crime and haven’t had problems since. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I would be very careful about seeming to stalk minors. Let the cops handle it as you never know how a parent might react to some guy asking about their kids and following them. that is scary **** and you might end up being arrested - not them. 

  • Bellevue, WA · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    gosh thats tough, Im sure the kids have no clue the cost of the repairs/replacements.   You can't confront them nor harass them.  You'll need to get good  action photos asap without any personal intervention. Its too dangerous to provoke them.  

    Once you catch one of them in a photo you are in business.  I would make an appt with the school administrator and show the photo. Ask if there's grounds to deny bus rides or make them get off at a different stop.  Tell them you pay taxes and own other properties in this school collecting area...   If you cant get the name find someone to follow them home...File some sort of action against the parents.   Monetary to fix your windows/siding.  Plus a restraining order so they cant come anywhere near your property.  If the parents rent I would call the owner of the property and explain whats going on,  off the record. They might be interested in learning about their tenants... Find out if you have any recourse for damages  if they are Section 8.  I would guess they dont have a super scheduled home life,  ie they arent getting driven to sports or music lessons..after school..

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    4y

    Bitches, I'm coming for you!  A WANTED  sign!  With their face masks on, take a picture with your cameras and print out and post on every single pole in your neighborhood (if its allowed).  It should not be illegal since you are not showing their faces, you just don't know who they are.  I'm sure they will recognize themselves in the pic.  But just in case take advice from the local PD.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff

    I do

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Bud Gaffney

    We have a half dozen+ times already

  • Real Estate Broker · Pueblo, CO · Member since 2013 · 366 posts · 303 votes
    4y

    They're minors. Focus on finding the parents and escalating as necessary from there. You'll have better luck getting a response from a wall than these 14 year olds.

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Chris Pasternak

    Right, but I need to identify the kids to identify the parents.

    Anyway, the schools are talking with their bus garages to see if they can help us out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.