Should Newbies Have Access to Calculators?

Should Newbies Have Access to Calculators?

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

OK, y'all.  Are you new?  If so - pay attention...

I got a PM today from a very nice guy.  Very well-spoken, seemingly intelligent, and well educated.

He introduced himself, and congratulated me with a job well-done on Cardone's show. And then he proceeded to tell me about a multiplex he was considering.  He said that the price was too high, and he knew it.  But, he was going to be able to achieve very favorable owner-financing terms, with low down-payment, 30-year am, and low interest rate.

He then invited me to view a link, which turned out to be a PDF of Brandon Turner's BP Calculator, and asked for my opinion...

You should know - I answer each and every message, email, and telephone call; specifically when approached with due consideration, as in this case.  I proceeded to open the PDF, and was impressed!

I've never actually used the calculator before.  I've heard Brandon sell it as "sexy" on webinars before, but I'm old and got no energy for "sexy"...  So - I was impressed with all of the color and nice graphics...

And then I looked at the top line numbers:

Income: $7,975
Expenses: $7,560

Cash Flow: $414

This is a 10+ unit, by the way.  The proposed cost was north of $650k.  Required down-payment was around $30,000...

WOW - anyone else see a problem with this?  

I've often said that it's about as difficult to buy RE as it is to fall out of a tree.  Well - this dude just fell out of a flippin tree...haha  At least he was smart enough to allow a tree branch (me) smack him over the top of his head.  Perhaps now he'll begin to look at things a bit differently..

But, there is another interesting piece to be noted here.  How can someone look at those numbers inside a colorful sexy PDF and see absolutely nothing?  And - should someone have access to a tool such as this prior to attaining a level of fluency to be able to interpret what he is seeing?

This type of use of calculators demotes them to a stat gimmick.  The tool is no use until and unless the user knows enough to be able to use it.

So - should newbies have access to calculators?  Is it really a benefit.  Or, would it be better, if we really want to teach them how to do this math, to sit them down in front of a spreadsheet and really teach them how this works...perhaps even in a webinar?

Thoughts? 

1Reply
181 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

The calculators are just a tool. A spreadsheet is not going to be any better at telling someone that $400 a month in cash flow on a 10-plex is a bad idea. The only way they learn that is by learning it, which ... correct me if I'm wrong... is what 99% of BiggerPockets is? 

See this reply in the discussion

92 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I don't think there's anything wrong with an investor using a calculator to quickly gauge a potential deal, especially if he/she has to evaluate many deals at once.  But the person should have an understanding of how the system calculates its figures.

    There IS a danger of a newbie like me using a pre made template calculator to make a decision. For me the work around has been excel/ google sheets, because I develop all of my spreadsheets from scratch I have a complete understanding of the underlying calculations and I know they are tailored to my purposes. However the potential does exist for me to omit certain important aspects accidentally. So I still must be careful and triple check everything.

    So basically IMHO newbs can use a calculator, but should understand it... should never base any final decision on it... and always perform due diligence no matter what the calculator says/. Take an excel class if your not familiar, excel will change your decision making life forever.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 808 posts · 417 votes
    11y

    @Ben Leybovich

    Your cynicism always cracks me up. In this case though I think it is kind of like a lot of the medicine we use in the healthcare system in that its true it can be bad for you but the alternatives are far worse. In this case I think most newbies, unless they have a background in running numbers or doing analysis, will probably either download some type of similar analysis on the web, listen to people they probably should not be listening to or worse relying on gurus and common knowledge (real estate is always a good investments, $20K houses can’t be worthless, etc.). As such, a calculator like this is a great tool to those who learn all the other things that matter and what the numbers actually mean. There will always be those that don’t but they likely would have found other paths to the same place by relying on something else.

    For me personally I am a newbie but practically live in excel doing analytics as a banker so I have not really used the calculators but I have seen similar ones sent to me or PDFs and I too see how it can be overwhelming and find it easier to find a very simple analysis in excel that I really have to think about but to each his own.  

    @Brandon Turner there are a lot of ways to build in checks and balances to a model, and if not there already this might be good to have in there. Feel free to PM me if you want. 

  • Lima, Lima · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I wonder if everyone on this post has taken a real good look at the spreadsheet. I mean it is brutal and unrelenting in determining cash flow. I think that's a good thing for a newbie. These aren't just acronyms thrown out, it explains what you are taking out and why.

    @Account Closed  for supplying these tools and this forum.

    And by the way, 400 dollars a month on a 30,000 investment is worth looking at. There are risks in everything. Maybe it doesn't work here (we know nothing except a couple of figures thrown out) but 30,000 can bring in lots less than that in other investment vehicles.

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Okay @Mark Masiel You go ahead and do a deal with a $400 "cash flow" on $8K of expenses and let us know how it all works out. Your arguments keep reinforcing what @Ben Leybovich is saying. The spreadsheet has you fooled into believing the numbers are accurate and real. They are not. The only question is how much variation you can expect from your model (which is all it is). I would argue that 5% downside is not a great thing. How do I get to 20% loss? Well if $400 positive cash flow becomes $500 negative (a little over 10% downside which is quite likely), thats a 20% loss on your cash. Simple. I dont even need a spreadsheet for that..lol

  • Lima, Lima · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    Thank you. My "arguments" are questions as I am trying to understand this.

    So I do thank you, not cynically mind you, on helping me understand this a little more. Basically the red flag here is that the expenses are too high for the return? There are of course other factors, for example where the 10plex is located? I was recently in SOCAL where cash flow is not easily obtained for any amount of DP.

    To be honest, I do not think this deal even exists. The numbers just don't make any sense. With only 30K down owner financing 650K building and yet still on paper providing cash flow, there has to be more here.

    Also, you are now saying you are in trouble with 10 percent loss in rent or whatever. You are correct. You said 5 percent before, not 10. Do all deals you make cash flow after you knock another 10 percent off of all the other deductions such as vacancy, cap ex, etc?

    All of this is good discussion, and I appreciate the comments and figures that experienced real estate investors give to the inexperienced.

    However, I do not agree that my questions on a post that I did not understand somehow proves true that I am an example of the dangers of spreadsheets, especially as I have not run the numbers that Ben gave out through any spreadsheet-he did not provide the details.

    I just don't follow your argument on the spreadsheet use nor do I agree.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @James Poe:

    That is a long, long time.

     Not sure what you meant by that...

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Laureen Youngblood:

    @Ben Leybovich

    ;) Does this mean you are volunteering to do a webinar to teach us Newbies about the numbers? What do you think @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner ?

    Joking aside.  I am a Newbie (kinda)  I have been on BP now for about a year.  I have listened to every podcast, read many forum posts, asked questions and I am pretty sure I would have immediately recognized that as a pretty sketchy attempt at "eraser" style numbers.  Multiplexes are not my niche.  (yet)

    However, I don't believe that restricting the use of those calculators is going to prevent a Newbie from making a bad investment if that is what they really want to do. I could be slightly biased in my desire to maintain access to those calculators...and when do we become "not" Newbies. Like I said above, I have been on BP for over a year, called myself a REI for that long, made a few offers (around 30) and still have not closed my first deal. Who sets the bar? What is the bar?

     Josh couldn't afford me :)  And besides - nether he nor Brandon would let me anywhere near a webinar...like they need me offending 7/8 of their audience...

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Wright:

    I'll just say that learning to use Excel proficiently for financial modeling has been one of the biggest assets in my understanding of the investment world.  A degree in finance is practically worthless without it.  I'm thankful for mediums that have been created that already have mathematical relationships setup for people, but understanding the mechanics of the deal are where everything is won and lost! I think the training wheels must come off rather quickly for people to not become dependent on them and avoid learning how to do the real thinking behind their transactions.  

     Agreed!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Keith Belzner:

    I am just starting out myself and at first I was running practice numbers through the calculator to get a feel for it. I have also put together my own spreadsheet with my specific criteria and I have found out a few things for myself. 

     1. Having to create my own sheet has shown me what the numbers mean and how to use them in and at the right place. I am able to change numbers as needed, such as interest rates and what profit % i want. I can see behind the curtain so to speak.

    2. I can spot any issues as they pop up.

    3. My sheet is almost dead on with what the calculator gives me. Sometimes a bit more or less. 

    Creating my own has been a huge learning tool for the numbers.

     Exactly!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mark Masiel:

    There are a few things I don't understand about the initial post. How could the required DP be only 30,000 on a 650K property? And if you could get this deal for 30K DP with 5K a year cash flow why wouldn't you? That's almost 17percent. Since this post was about teaching newbies like myself, I would really appreciate someone pointing out what I obviously seem to be missing here. Thanks!

     What do you mean by "how could the required DP be only 30,000", Mark?  This is what it is in this particular deal - what's confusing about that?

    OK - so, you mean to tell me that you would trade $30,000 in exchange for $5,000 which may happen (of the roof doesn't leak, units don't get trashed, tenants don't skip in the night, main water line doesn't freeze, bed-bugs aren't brought in, and a million other things..) Do you really mean to tell me that just cause the calculator says `17% CCR you'd do the deal?!?!

    Dude - numbers tell a story, and until you learn to read, you don't need the calculator...

    For example - CCR is the relationship between the annualized cash in and out. As such, the % is driven up or down on both sides of the equation. Which means that you could arrive at a high CCR wither because the annualized cash flows say so, or because the initial outlay is compressed. The latter, while resulting in high %, tells nothing about the health of the investment as it relates to health of the cash flows.

    In this way, CCR is a very bad indicator when taken on its own and out of context... He was misled. You are misled. And lots of newbies are misled, and the calculator does decidedly nothing to expand your perspective so you can visualize the nuances...

    Hope this helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Frank B.:

    @Ben Leybovich I'm not sure I understand your original post.

    Are you saying that the results of the calculator are incorrect? Is it that the outputs are misleading or that new folks don't know enough to figure out what to use as inputs?

    I'm kinda new still but I thought all the calculator did was take inputs and calculate income, cash flow, returns, etc. And it's up to the person using the tool to decide if the results mean it's a good deal or not.

    Also if someone who is about to do a $650k deal doesn't know enough to interpret the results of the calculator, I'm not sure denying them access to the calculator would stop them from doing the deal.

     The results are correct, but you have to be able to read them...  A lot of people cannot, which makes the calculator dangerous!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Neil Schoepp - I'm sure @Brandon Turner can accommodate with a very in-depth post or seminar :) 

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Actually cash flow alone is not a good measure of an investment. You can manipulate that easily on a leveraged property. If you change your mortgage terms to 100 years, you will get great positive cash flow. I operate properties with almost zero cash flow. Why? I dont need the cash flow to live on. I just pay the mortgage down on a 10 year schedule rather than 30 years. No cash flow but good ROI. The point with metrics is you need to understand what they mean, how they are derived and what is meaningful and what is not. I dont care if you use spreadsheets or not. If you dont understand basic finance you will never know if it was a good investment or not. Of course you could get blindly luck with huge appreciation and then all this doesnt matter at all.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Charles Worth:

    @Ben Leybovich

    Your cynicism always cracks me up. In this case though I think it is kind of like a lot of the medicine we use in the healthcare system in that its true it can be bad for you but the alternatives are far worse. In this case I think most newbies, unless they have a background in running numbers or doing analysis, will probably either download some type of similar analysis on the web, listen to people they probably should not be listening to or worse relying on gurus and common knowledge (real estate is always a good investments, $20K houses can’t be worthless, etc.). As such, a calculator like this is a great tool to those who learn all the other things that matter and what the numbers actually mean. There will always be those that don’t but they likely would have found other paths to the same place by relying on something else.

    For me personally I am a newbie but practically live in excel doing analytics as a banker so I have not really used the calculators but I have seen similar ones sent to me or PDFs and I too see how it can be overwhelming and find it easier to find a very simple analysis in excel that I really have to think about but to each his own.  

    @Brandon Turner there are a lot of ways to build in checks and balances to a model, and if not there already this might be good to have in there. Feel free to PM me if you want. 

     Haha - well, considering that the alternative is to sit down and figure out how this works on a piece of paper, I'd disagree...

    You know, I was born in Russia.  We did math on paper - it was srta required.  I went through 6 grades prior to leaving, and by then I'd gone through American equivalent of Algebra 2 / Geometry - I had not used a calculator...we weren't allowed!

    Then I came here.  I was a skinny  little dude who couldn't speak English, so they put me in 7th grade even though I belonged in high school so kids wouldn't pick on me...

    I saw pre-algebra being done using TI-81 calculators - are you freaking kidding me, I thought to myself?

    That's why we have the issues we have in this country.  Everyone is looking for a freaking short-cut.  No short-cuts in success.  Figure out how to control your environment first, and then get tools to help you expedite the process!

    Newbies need to do this without calculators first.  They should be tested on it.  And then, may be, be allowed to use a tool so their presentation looks good!

  • Lima, Lima · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 11 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

     What do you mean by "how could the required DP be only 30,000", Mark?  This is what it is in this particular deal - what's confusing about that?

    Hard to believe that you would still get cash flow with that little down. seems very hard to do. If the margin was that big to start with he probably should have got investors to go into a larger down payment and I would think the numbers would be  much better. But if that's the deal then that's the deal.

    OK - so, you mean to tell me that you would trade $30,000 in exchange for $5,000 which may happen (of the roof doesn't leak, units don't get trashed, tenants don't skip in the night, main water line doesn't freeze, bed-bugs aren't brought in, and a million other things..) Do you really mean to tell me that just cause the calculator says `17% CCR you'd do the deal?!?!

     I had assumed the calculator was followed correctly in that the roof leaking, units trashed, tenants skipped, was all calculated into the final amount. This is all plain and clear on the calculator and on any spreadsheet I would create myself. After all of these deductions it then had a cash flow that in my world, would be worse case scenario. You are assuming that none of the above potential were added into the calculations-or perhaps you know they were not. I was not given that information.

    Dude - numbers tell a story, and until you learn to read, you don't need the calculator...

    I think the story here is the risk/reward of high leverage multi-family investments. It is an education on how 10 percent increase/decrease multiply in a hurry when dealing with several units under one roof.

    In this way, CCR is a very bad indicator when taken on its own and out of context... He was misled. You are misled. And lots of newbies are misled, and the calculator does decidedly nothing to expand your perspective so you can visualize the nuances...

    I was not misled. I was only given two numbers to look at. If I were to truly analyze this deal I would need more. Perhaps the numbers plugged into the calculator by the investor were super conservative and he took out 10 percent potential for decrease, etc. Perhaps the cash flow was closer to 600 or 700. I have no idea. That's where the calculator comes into play.

    Hope this helps

    I think the conversation was good, but you cant convince me the calculator is anything but a great tool. I really wonder how much you have looked at it if you are assuming that we are not factoring in losses such as vacancy and roof leaks like you say above. Newbies who do not have a calculator or spreadsheet make those mistakes. The calculator helps avoid them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed - the deal is a very real deal...

    Please add a picture to your profile.  We would all enjoy seeing you when we speak to you :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Mark Masiel - we don't buy cash flow.  We create it!  This is what separates pros from amateurs.  Keep learning, my friend :)

    Feel free to reach out!

  • Lima, Lima · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 11 votes
    11y
  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Ben Leybovich I went to school in India and we were not allowed calculators all through high school. We used log tables (does anyone here even know what those are?) to do large calculations. We also had no reference books or tables in exams so we memorized EVERYTHING. When I came to grad school in the US, I could do the advanced engineering calculus from formulas in my head while my colleagues were looking up answers in CRC tables and books. But I have to say, spreadsheets are immensely useful as long as you understand what the underlying calculations and assumptions are. I think we can all agree on that (or maybe not :-))

  • Lima, Lima · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    I agree with you that we should understand the tools we use but I also believe a tool can be educational as well.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    There are a few of us educated in North America who remember log tables and slide rules.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 71 votes
    11y

    I think the point is being missed...it's not that a Spreadsheet is bad in an of itself, it's the fact that many people don't understand the inputs, results and the whys behind it for the most part, You can make a spreadsheet read whatever you want to directly or indirectly.

    I'd be much more attuned to those like @Triston Murray who understood or figured out the whys and whats and then assembled a spreadsheet to help him quantify his analysis vs using a pre-formatted fancy spreadsheet and know nothing about the whys or whats. You can use the bits and pieces of information that matter most to you and put together a nice spreadsheet that reflects your knowledge...and as your knowledge increases, build onto it accordingly.

    There are even plenty of free Apps out there that are simply to use BUT you still have to understand what to put in to them, why you are filling in that field and then be able to decipher the results it kicks out to you.

    I believe that's the point here...there is a time and place for "tools" to enter into the picture, but to use such tools without the knowledge behind you can result in false hope and potential unwanted consequences.

    Leaving all Bias and Prejudice aside, I trust everyone could agree that learning how to use something first is better than winging it just because it's there to have...no?/

    Happy Analyzing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mark Masiel:

    @Account Closed 

    I agree with you that we should understand the tools we use but I also believe a tool can be educational as well.

     Exactly!  no one said this calculator could not be educational, but to be that we would need to train you on it.  We don't.  We sell it to you as a free-standing tool.  I promise - no pros use this calculator - we use spreadsheets :)

    This calculator, in conjunction with a series of seminars (which I would be happy to teach @Brandon Turner and @Joshua D. btw) could be a pretty nifty learning tool.  Such as it is, I am not sure what it is...

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:
    Originally posted by @Mark Masiel:

    @Account Closed 

    I agree with you that we should understand the tools we use but I also believe a tool can be educational as well.

     Exactly!  no one said this calculator could not be educational, but to be that we would need to train you on it.  We don't.  We sell it to you as a free-standing tool.  I promise - no pros use this calculator - we use spreadsheets :)

    This calculator, in conjunction with a series of seminars (which I would be happy to teach @Brandon Turner and @Joshua D. btw) could be a pretty nifty learning tool.  Such as it is, I am not sure what it is...

    Not true Ben ... I use Turner's calculator when I want a simple presentation with pretty pictures I can send to someone.  The spreadsheet which gets dumped out of our simulator has eight tabs in it and is terribly busy ... when I share it with folks, eyes usually glaze over.

    BTW:  I prefer MIRR

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 808 posts · 417 votes
    11y

    @Ben Leybovich I definitely agree with the premise, people should know how to use the tool and ideally know how each number is derived and what is behind it. However, the question was somewhat philosophical as to if newbies should be allowed to use the calculators and I think its fairly obvious that a large number of people will look for a shortcut and this shortcut is better than the alternatives and seems like a great tool for those who did take the time to understand what is behind it.

    Testing brings up a whole new set of issues including who is going to administer a test, what will be a passing grade, how do you deter cheating on the test, etc.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.