MICHIGAN the State most moved FROM in 2015?

MICHIGAN the State most moved FROM in 2015?

Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes

Let's start with:

The Top 10 States Americans Are Moving To...

Top States People Moved to in 2015

1. Oregon
2. South Carolina
3. Vermont
4. Idaho
5. North Carolina
6. Florida
7. Nevada
8. District of Columbia
9. Texas
10. Washington 

0Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
10y

That's because everyone left Michigan 8 years ago. 

-Christopher

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y

    Not many surprises on that list except Idaho but I guess maybe it's a natural extension of migrating inland from the expensive coastal areas of Washington & Oregon.

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y

    Here is the source

    Where does Michigan fall on the list of States most moved from?

    Got to be number one we all see the national news reports.

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y

    Actually Michigan is not number 1

    Top States People Left in 2015

    1. New Jersey
    2. New York
    3. Illinois
    4. Connecticut
    5. Ohio
    6. Kansas
    7. Massachusetts
    8. West Virginia
    9. Mississippi
    10. Maryland

    Not even in the top 10

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y

    That's because everyone left Michigan 8 years ago. 

    -Christopher

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Brainard:

    That's because everyone left Michigan 8 years ago. 

    -Christopher

     I agree and that is the point I have been making.

    I tell people it's not going to fall off the edge of the earth, It's already fallen off.

    When I started buying up here it had bottomed out and had to go up.

    Actually Michigan is much smaller than Nevada

    with more than three times the population

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y

    Didn't a woman ever tell you that size doesn't matter?

    Nevada is much larger than Michigan, but most of Nevada is federal lands which cannot be built on. The bulk of Nevada's population lives in the Las Vegas Valley, which takes about 30 minutes to traverse. The valley itself is some 600 sq miles with over 2 million people living here and more coming each day (we are #7 on your list). That means the density here, and the appreciation probability, is much greater every day. The Midwest is great for cash flow, but the end game is somewhat murky.

    -Christopher


  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Clarkston, MI · Member since 2013 · 156 posts · 34 votes
    10y
    Very interesting to see the trends. As a Realtor here in Southeast Michigan I will tell you that at least on my end, people are buying houses like crazy right now. Had four multiple offer situations just over this past weekend and it's only January 12.... Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
  • Investor · Grosse Pointe, MI · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Lot's of people are moving into Detroit right now but mostly downtown.  Developers are building hundreds of residential units in the downtown area.  At my 9-5 we are installing the electrical for a new 80 unit apartment downtown.  I think the overall population is growing again after hitting bottom a handful of years ago.

  • Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    I am not surprised that Idaho is on this list. Judging by the number of development activities happening in Boise area, you could tell there is growth everywhere 

  • Lisa KohlPro Member
    REI Pro · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 93 votes
    10y

    @Jack Aduwo Yes, new development here is hot right now. From subdivisions, large apartment complexes, high end condos and quite a few hotel projects in the downtown core as well. 

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    10y

    I can attest that CT has high taxes and isn't the most small business friendly. I'm from CA and never heard of a car tax until moving here, smh.

  • Investor · West Bloomfield, MI · Member since 2009 · 358 posts · 306 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Brainard:

    That's because everyone left Michigan 8 years ago. 

    -Christopher

    The economy certainly took a hit, but the population of the state hasn't varied by more than 1% - 2% in the last 15 years. This graph may look dramatic, but the maximum population was 10.06 million and the minimum population was 9.88 million. In 2015 it was 9.92 million.

    Of course, growth is better than flat, but flat isn't "everyone left Michigan 8 years ago".

  • Rental Property Investor · Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 39 votes
    10y
    Well I'm staying where we have all the fresh water. (With the exception of Flints water system being poisoned by the government) With the crazy weather and all the droughts in other parts of the country I think Michigan looks pretty good.
  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Lawrence Henkel III:

    Well I'm staying where we have all the fresh water. (With the exception of Flints water system being poisoned by the government) With the crazy weather and all the droughts in other parts of the country I think Michigan looks pretty good.

     20% of the world's fresh water.  

    Hey California we have way more than we need, come get some

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Brainard:

    ...Nevada is much larger than Michigan, but most of Nevada is federal lands which cannot be built on....

    -Christopher

    I didn't forget about the nuclear bomb tests your neighbors have done or the nuclear waste dump they keep trying to build, that is why I prefer my neighbors.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2014 · 493 posts · 200 votes
    10y

    A lot of professionals are moving into the Grand Rapids area.  More move-ins of this type are projected for the coming decade.  The vacancy rate in GR is 1.5%.

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Clarkston, MI · Member since 2013 · 156 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    @Marvin Rice where is that 80-unit complex you guys are working on located?

  • Investor · Grosse Pointe, MI · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Griswold and Michigan Ave.  It is a Roxbury Group development project.  CM is Walbridge.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Richard Dunlop  well on the in migration number 1  and number 2 are the states that I am currently building in... dumb luck I guess

  • Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2015 · 142 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs, something tells me luck probably doesn't have all that much to do with it... Oregon maybe, but South Carolina is pretty far away from you to just be dumb luck?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Cory Mccarthy  Actually SC became on my Radar because I got a call from one of the big time Guru's that wanted me to fund some of their students... they had identified it as a up and coming market... I funded 5 in the 4th quarter of 2014... they went great.. I took a trip there deduced it was in deed the place to be and starting buying lots..

    I bought my first lots for 20k and 40k respectively.. I am now buying lots for 80 to 150k each.. that's how fast that market has moved.

    I owe this to my friend the Guru Villain for turning me on to it.. :) 

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Richard Dunlop  well on the in migration number 1  and number 2 are the states that I am currently building in... dumb luck I guess

     Number four is right beside you in Idaho make it three out of the top four.

    I agree with  @Cory Mccarthy more smarts than luck.

    Michigan and especially Detroit started falling earlier than the crash and thus fell farther than the other markets.  That created an unparalleled opportunity here.

    Downtown Detroit has a lower residential vacancy rate than NY city or SF by some of the figures I've seen and massive new construction going on. But people are still reading 4 year old newspaper stories.

    I would not be surprised to see Michigan join the MOVE-IN list in the next year or so while most people are still thinking it is topping the MOVE-OUT list. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Richard Dunlop  DTW might must be hitting some equal Librium.  Vis a vi how many residence's the economy can support.. or how many folks the government can support via welfare programs.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @? 

    @Richard Dunlop I always thought Cali was on top of the move out list. This must be net net migration? I guess that includes foreign migration. Domestically, I think almost more folks left Cali past 10 years than live in MI.

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    @Jay Hinrichs 

    @Richard Dunlop I always thought Cali was on top of the move out list. This must be net net migration? I guess that includes foreign migration. Domestically, I think almost more folks left Cali past 10 years than live in MI.

     With the exception of Silicon Valley your worry about:

     @Jay Hinrichs  "Vis a vi how many residence's the economy can support.. or how many folks the government can support via welfare programs." 

    applies to major parts of CA as well.

    LA's Section 8 people are getting a subsidy approaching  $2000.00 

    When will the productive people (Atlas) Shrug?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.