I have an ETHICAL DILEMMA!

I have an ETHICAL DILEMMA!

Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes

Recently, I purchased a duplex in Warwick, Rhode Island for well well below fair market value.  The property has all of the heavy lifting done, windows, mechanicals, roof, electrical, etc.  The interiors are sound, but dated.  The property is fully occupied, and is performing well. 

We threw the property on the MLS just in case we got an offer that we couldn't refuse. That offer did in fact come in, but with conditions. This is a 203k buyer, and they want the building completely empty at the time of the closing. One of the tenants is an 83 year old man who has been living there for 15 years. He offered us 40k below the offer we received on the MLS.

I certainly want to get the most for this property, but at what cost?  I certainly have no intention of booting a nice old man onto the street as winter approaches.  It is just not an option for me.  I was going to see if he wanted to match the offer as an alternative, or offer to pay to have him move into a building that we are finishing up renovations on for the same rent he is paying now.  

Other than these two options, what other alternatives do I have?  I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place if he isn't open to the two alternatives that I have already considered. (It should be noted, the sellers are adamant about the property being vacant.  I already tried to negotiate one side bing empty and keeping the elderly man in the unit).

3Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Coplay, PA · Member since 2015 · 404 posts · 315 votes
8y

I would not ask anyone else to decide what I should do. I have my values and they are not up for discussion.

If I felt it is wrong to sell. I do not sell. I do not care what anyone says.

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    @Todd Dexheimer and @Alexander Felice. Todd, I probably have to agree with you.  I feel much better after throwing him a few life lines today to help ease the blow, and he wasn't interested in grabbing any of them.  Ultimately, he like the fact that I met him face to face and had the conversation with him and made an effort to make the situation the best possible outcome of a difficult situation.  

    @Joe Splitrock, I totally get what you are saying.  Luckily, when I met with him today, his brother and daughter happened to be with him, and I think that they respected the fact that I offered some alternatives.  If the 203k buyer backs out, they are losing their deposit, and I have a pool of qualified, vetted applicants that I can fill it with in less than 30 days.  Yes, I can increase the rents a little and hold on to it, but I keep the vast majority of multi's that I purchase.  When I can walk out of a deal with a 6 figure profit as a hit, its difficult to pass up.  I would literally be trading paper on this house.  Its just too sweet of a deal.  

    @Calvin Strain Agreed 100%

    @James Wise Lots of assumptions to be honest.  This man does own some property and was fiscally responsible.  No-one is at fault for anything here, especially this man who still owns a very successful, local family business.  As far as the woman who sold us the property, she owns a number of properties, and knew that she was selling at a heavy discount to a reputable cash buyer.  

    @David S. Already part of the deal structure.

    @Michael Knaus Agreed with your outlook on the deal.  The tenant was fiscally responsible though. 

  • Jason G.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 434 posts · 495 votes
    8y

    But you aren't putting him out on the street.  Putting him out on the street implies you are making him destitute and your cruel self won't even give him a cardboard box to live in.  Come on now.  That is nonsense.  The tenant offered to buy your property.  He has the money to rent a new place and nothing is stopping him from moving out of your rental into another one.  This has nothing to do with ethics.  Sure you clearly have a big heart but giving him notice in the winter and him moving into a new place doesn't create any type of ethical dilemma or make you any less of an ethical person.  In the end however it is your property, your money, and your beliefs, so you need to come to a solution that makes you feel happy with yourself at the end of the day.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    Here is how the deal ultimately panned out.  I met with the tenant in person today at his shop.  Just by chance, his daughter and brother happened to be there, so we got to have a productive discussion.  He is still a successful business owner, and understands business decisions.  I was pretty adamant that I wanted to do something to lessen the blow, and he and his family were very appreciative of that fact.  I didn't simply tell him the cold calculated reality of the situation without trying to do right by the man.  

    I told him the offer that I got and that if he even came close to it that I would sell it to him.  His max was a cash offer still 40k below the offer that I received.  I offered to rent a building that we will be finishing up a complete renovation on, and even offered to pay for his move.  He was thankful, but it was in a different town, and he ultimately did not want to do that.  

    He looked me in the eye, shook my hand, and thanked me for coming to talk to him in person.  At the end of the day, he understood that I took him into account in the equation, but understood the position that I was in.  So ultimately, I feel much better about the situation.  

    Regardless, I want to pay for his move.  A small gesture like that will go a long way.  Some people here may think Im nuts, but in all honesty, I really don't care.  If I can help a nice old guy out a little bit and he is from the old school where he will appreciate it and doesn't feel entitled, Im doing it.  

    After that, I had the agent inform the potential buyers that we had multiple offers on the property and that they should present their highest and best.  They cam up $6500 from their initial offer that was $40,000 higher than the old man's.  Ultimately, this will be a success story should it make it to the closing table with a total profit of $106,500 not taking into account the rent that I have previously and will collect prior to the closing.  

    Thank you everyone for your advice and insight.  Some of the responses about cutting the cord on the old man though... wow.  The respect and values that this country's greatest generation helped to instill have seriously eroded. That is a conversation for another day though.   

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Brandon Ingegneri Sounds like you handled it well.   I'm glad he appreciated your honest and personal approach.  Good job.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Ingegneri:

    @Todd Dexheimer and @Alexander Felice. Todd, I probably have to agree with you.  I feel much better after throwing him a few life lines today to help ease the blow, and he wasn't interested in grabbing any of them.  Ultimately, he like the fact that I met him face to face and had the conversation with him and made an effort to make the situation the best possible outcome of a difficult situation.  

    @Joe Splitrock, I totally get what you are saying.  Luckily, when I met with him today, his brother and daughter happened to be with him, and I think that they respected the fact that I offered some alternatives.  If the 203k buyer backs out, they are losing their deposit, and I have a pool of qualified, vetted applicants that I can fill it with in less than 30 days.  Yes, I can increase the rents a little and hold on to it, but I keep the vast majority of multi's that I purchase.  When I can walk out of a deal with a 6 figure profit as a hit, its difficult to pass up.  I would literally be trading paper on this house.  Its just too sweet of a deal.  

    @Calvin Strain Agreed 100%

    @James Wise Lots of assumptions to be honest.  This man does own some property and was fiscally responsible.  No-one is at fault for anything here, especially this man who still owns a very successful, local family business.  As far as the woman who sold us the property, she owns a number of properties, and knew that she was selling at a heavy discount to a reputable cash buyer.  

    @David S. Already part of the deal structure.

    @Michael Knaus Agreed with your outlook on the deal.  The tenant was fiscally responsible though. 

    Lol C'mon man...If the guy happens to be a successful property & business owner why wouldn't you just say that instead of making a post saying your having some ethical dilemma throwing some poor old man out on the street in the cold winter? 

    #SaveTheDamaForYoMomma

  • Investor / Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 665 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Brandon Ingegneri

    Moral and Ethics trump Greed for Money.

    There are a lot of things Investors do that come back to haunt them and I feel it's better to take less of a profit than to forever live with decisions that can affect your mental health and conscience.

    Another way you could have done it is set up a GoFundMe site for him, and just donate a substantial amount first. That will let his friends and family be able to help. The Family also needs to participate.

    Either way, I've done things where I have lost money rather than lose my ethics or conscience.

    Recently, a tenant was almost abducted several blocks away from a subway. It was totally random. She fought off her abductor but was hospitalized for a week.

    We decided to not raise her rent, which would have been a $100 raise for 12 months (and of course has repercussions in the future, so this will be costly for us), plus my Partners and I contributed another $1k for any other expenses. I even got my personal friend, a Medical Doctor for 30 years, stop by every once in a while to check on her.

    I don't expect any physical rewards for my charity because the best rewards is the gift of giving. Obviously, this opinion is not shared by everyone.

    I admire you for doing the right thing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y
    James Wise people just made assumptions. He wasn’t propped up as a poor man.
  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I have always found that staying true to right/wrong in my heart is the guiding foundation of the directions and decisions I make in business.  Decide what you think is right/wrong and don't waiver from that.  If you lose your sense of who you are, business becomes very hard.  There are usually multiple solutions to a problem.  You can probably make everyone happy here.

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 140 posts · 119 votes
    8y
    A little late to the party, but I liked the way you handled it. I’m just getting into this business and sometimes I wonder if it’s possible to be successful and moral at the same time. Your story gives me hope that it is. While I’m new to being an active investor, I’ve studied and been around business/investments enough to see what greed can do to people if they don’t have a moral compass to guide them. Before everyone jumps all over me, I have a MBA and I know how businesses work. I realize sometimes you have to make tough decisions to be profitable and succeed long-term, but I don’t necessarily believe that always taking the highest profit at the expense of everything else is necessary to still succeed. But I guess that also depends on your individual definition of success. Maybe I’m just naive, but I hope that there’s room for ethics in this industry or I already know I’ll fail because I believe when push comes to shove, the ultimate determining factor will be whether or not I can live with the consequences of my decision. I think that thought should guide everyone because at the end of the day, none of the people in this thread or in your network or anywhere else you sought advice have to live with your decisions and their consequences, only you do.
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Michael Knaus:

    @James Wise you as cold as ice!

    Ok, joke but...I see your perspective. I just feel that helping the old guy find a place and maybe even help with the moving expenses is the right thing to do. He was there for 15 years and has to move through no fault of his own. 83 as opposed to 43 makes moving a little more challenging I would think, so yeah his age does matter, at least to me. He may have made poor choices but I am not going to cast stones. 

    Now that being said.....I would personally NEVER sell at a loss for the reasons mentioned. I would sell to the highest and best offer....even if he were 103, he would have to pony up and match or beat the offer.  I suppose a token offering to help is my way to sleep better at night.

    Agree. I'm incredibly cold when looking at this business. Your points are valid but I try to operate in this space without letting feelings cloud my judgement. There is of course nothing wrong with helping others & I am glad that you are a caring person. That is admirable. 

    I like to help others but don't mix that with this business. Real Estate & Rental Property Investing/ Property Management is a BRUTAL business. In my opinion the landlords that work off of their feelings get eaten alive.

    Daymond John (SharkTank, FUBU creator) said "you have to make it before you matter." 

    To me the idea that you need to focus on building a profitable business & you will end up being in a position to make a much bigger difference then you could have had you not ended up in a position of power makes a lot of sense.

    I do disagree with the idea that he was being forced to move through no fault of his own. It is his fault. He chose not to buy a home. That is a risk you take on when deciding that you want to rent someone else's home as opposed to buying your own.

    It is incorrect that you have to be cold to operate a business successfully. That opinion may justify your own actions, but many of us don't share your values and succeed in business. In fact, successful businesses use positive company culture and values to attract employees and customers. It is a competitive advantage. When you treat people better, you inspire loyalty. When you help people and the community, your business does better.

    Age is irrelevant for me in this situation. Throwing a good 15 year tenant out of a property, so you can make a quick buck is just bad business. The OP said himself the property was performing and he doesn't need to sell it. He only put it on the MLS to see if he could make a quick profit. This is short term thinking. It is also just bad business to throw out two paying tenants prior to closing on the sale. If the buyer wants to do that, they can do it themselves. Closings fall through all the time. Why would I want to take the risk of being stuck with an empty property? Worse yet, why do I want to get the reputation as a landlord that throws good tenants out of properties?

    I agree that money affords you the opportunity to help people. The problem is if you don't help people on your way to the top, it is pretty unlikely you will help them when you get there.

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 363 posts · 143 votes
    8y

    @Brandon Ingegneri ,  Congratulations, meeting the guy in person helped you to make the right decision,  we could be honest and still make good money 

  • Steve HodgdonPro Member
    Investor · Novato, CA · Member since 2015 · 433 posts · 321 votes
    8y

    Tenant gets opportunity to match offer. Simple. If you want to carry back some, up to you. I sell to tenants. WIN/WIN.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    Really tough decision. 

    Good thing I am not you or I would have the old mans socks and underwear in a box on the front porch and a taxi waiting to take him away.

    Thankfully, for me, when it comes to making money I have no moral or ethical dilemmas.

     I don't think that's true. I bet you don't sell heroin or pimp out your kids. I doubt it's even true when it comes to real estate, as I doubt you'd willingly rent out an apartment with crumbling asbestos or encourage your tenant's child to chomp on lead paint chips to save you the cost of scraping. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Michael Knaus:

    @James Wise you as cold as ice!

    Ok, joke but...I see your perspective. I just feel that helping the old guy find a place and maybe even help with the moving expenses is the right thing to do. He was there for 15 years and has to move through no fault of his own. 83 as opposed to 43 makes moving a little more challenging I would think, so yeah his age does matter, at least to me. He may have made poor choices but I am not going to cast stones. 

    Now that being said.....I would personally NEVER sell at a loss for the reasons mentioned. I would sell to the highest and best offer....even if he were 103, he would have to pony up and match or beat the offer.  I suppose a token offering to help is my way to sleep better at night.

    Agree. I'm incredibly cold when looking at this business. Your points are valid but I try to operate in this space without letting feelings cloud my judgement. There is of course nothing wrong with helping others & I am glad that you are a caring person. That is admirable. 

    I like to help others but don't mix that with this business. Real Estate & Rental Property Investing/ Property Management is a BRUTAL business. In my opinion the landlords that work off of their feelings get eaten alive.

    Daymond John (SharkTank, FUBU creator) said "you have to make it before you matter." 

    To me the idea that you need to focus on building a profitable business & you will end up being in a position to make a much bigger difference then you could have had you not ended up in a position of power makes a lot of sense.

    I do disagree with the idea that he was being forced to move through no fault of his own. It is his fault. He chose not to buy a home. That is a risk you take on when deciding that you want to rent someone else's home as opposed to buying your own.

    It is incorrect that you have to be cold to operate a business successfully. That opinion may justify your own actions, but many of us don't share your values and succeed in business. In fact, successful businesses use positive company culture and values to attract employees and customers. It is a competitive advantage. When you treat people better, you inspire loyalty. When you help people and the community, your business does better.

    Age is irrelevant for me in this situation. Throwing a good 15 year tenant out of a property, so you can make a quick buck is just bad business. The OP said himself the property was performing and he doesn't need to sell it. He only put it on the MLS to see if he could make a quick profit. This is short term thinking. It is also just bad business to throw out two paying tenants prior to closing on the sale. If the buyer wants to do that, they can do it themselves. Closings fall through all the time. Why would I want to take the risk of being stuck with an empty property? Worse yet, why do I want to get the reputation as a landlord that throws good tenants out of properties?

    I agree that money affords you the opportunity to help people. The problem is if you don't help people on your way to the top, it is pretty unlikely you will help them when you get there.

    While I agree with your first paragraph and understand what you mean in the second, I do have to contest that I am being short sighted making a quick buck on this particular property.  I own and operate a pretty extensive portfolio that holds very little debt.  With over $100k profit in this deal, it fits perfectly into my long term goals.  

    Case in point with regard to this property:  I am trading up.  I will take 100k and put it directly into another building that I have under contract with more units that better fits my portfolio.  I will literally be purchasing this other building for several thousand dollars after it is all said and done.  My contract price is 100k on it, so after the attorney's fees, and insurance, I have a performing asset that brings in twice the cash flow before even doing any value add.  I will be deferring my gains on the duplex by utilizing a 1031.  Nothing short sighted about the play.  

    Additionally, I do in fact agree with you about delivering the property vacant.  Is it a risk? Yes, but it is a calculated one, and we are working with the buyers currently to coordinate a very short vacancy time.    

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Ingegneri:
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Michael Knaus:

    @James Wise you as cold as ice!

    Ok, joke but...I see your perspective. I just feel that helping the old guy find a place and maybe even help with the moving expenses is the right thing to do. He was there for 15 years and has to move through no fault of his own. 83 as opposed to 43 makes moving a little more challenging I would think, so yeah his age does matter, at least to me. He may have made poor choices but I am not going to cast stones. 

    Now that being said.....I would personally NEVER sell at a loss for the reasons mentioned. I would sell to the highest and best offer....even if he were 103, he would have to pony up and match or beat the offer.  I suppose a token offering to help is my way to sleep better at night.

    Agree. I'm incredibly cold when looking at this business. Your points are valid but I try to operate in this space without letting feelings cloud my judgement. There is of course nothing wrong with helping others & I am glad that you are a caring person. That is admirable. 

    I like to help others but don't mix that with this business. Real Estate & Rental Property Investing/ Property Management is a BRUTAL business. In my opinion the landlords that work off of their feelings get eaten alive.

    Daymond John (SharkTank, FUBU creator) said "you have to make it before you matter." 

    To me the idea that you need to focus on building a profitable business & you will end up being in a position to make a much bigger difference then you could have had you not ended up in a position of power makes a lot of sense.

    I do disagree with the idea that he was being forced to move through no fault of his own. It is his fault. He chose not to buy a home. That is a risk you take on when deciding that you want to rent someone else's home as opposed to buying your own.

    It is incorrect that you have to be cold to operate a business successfully. That opinion may justify your own actions, but many of us don't share your values and succeed in business. In fact, successful businesses use positive company culture and values to attract employees and customers. It is a competitive advantage. When you treat people better, you inspire loyalty. When you help people and the community, your business does better.

    Age is irrelevant for me in this situation. Throwing a good 15 year tenant out of a property, so you can make a quick buck is just bad business. The OP said himself the property was performing and he doesn't need to sell it. He only put it on the MLS to see if he could make a quick profit. This is short term thinking. It is also just bad business to throw out two paying tenants prior to closing on the sale. If the buyer wants to do that, they can do it themselves. Closings fall through all the time. Why would I want to take the risk of being stuck with an empty property? Worse yet, why do I want to get the reputation as a landlord that throws good tenants out of properties?

    I agree that money affords you the opportunity to help people. The problem is if you don't help people on your way to the top, it is pretty unlikely you will help them when you get there.

    While I agree with your first paragraph and understand what you mean in the second, I do have to contest that I am being short sighted making a quick buck on this particular property.  I own and operate a pretty extensive portfolio that holds very little debt.  With over $100k profit in this deal, it fits perfectly into my long term goals.  

    Case in point with regard to this property:  I am trading up.  I will take 100k and put it directly into another building that I have under contract with more units that better fits my portfolio.  I will literally be purchasing this other building for several thousand dollars after it is all said and done.  My contract price is 100k on it, so after the attorney's fees, and insurance, I have a performing asset that brings in twice the cash flow before even doing any value add.  I will be deferring my gains on the duplex by utilizing a 1031.  Nothing short sighted about the play.  

    Additionally, I do in fact agree with you about delivering the property vacant.  Is it a risk? Yes, but it is a calculated one, and we are working with the buyers currently to coordinate a very short vacancy time.    

    Fair point, I didn't have enough information to make that judgement on your business. I had the impression you were fishing on the MLS. I didn't pickup on it being part of a larger expansion plan, but it makes sense. I think you handled the situation well. Ultimately you proved my point, that you can treat people well and run a very successful business. The old mans offer, although low, became a bargaining chip to get a higher offer. Nice move.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I suggest you defer your sell at a later date especially home prices have not maxed out.

    If I sell I will try to sell it vacant.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Sell him a life estate then sell the house when it's yours again, keep a % interest in the house with an agreement to sell at a certain event or take a note.

  • Investor · Kent, WA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Hi Brandon,

    My two cents... First I think it's great you are having a dilemma, it means you have a heart. And it's great you're seeking advise from other investors. I would give him the opportunity to match the 40k offer, but I don't think you're in any way obligated to give the man 40,000 dollars. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess yours isn't the only available property in providence. It wouldn't take you very long to help him find another place to stay so that your not booting an old man to the street. Then your not out anything more than a few hours, and you'll be able to sleep comfortably knowing that you've done all you can.

    Good Luck

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I would offer the provisions like you said and if the old guy does take it, kick him out.

    but as others have also said. you NEED to be sure this deal goes through. make him pay like 50k in earnest or something to be sure

  • James MaraditsPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 239 posts · 224 votes
    8y

    @Brandon Ingegneri

    Kudos to the way you handled the situation and your collective responses in this thread.  I respect that you are willing to take your time to weigh out all possible options and look for opportunities to mitigate negative impact to the other parties involved.  There's a time and place to be "cut throat" when needed, but I think making the attempt courteous was the best thing to do in this scenario.

    Congrats on the deal!

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    @David Zheng, I am not sure if you are referring to the tenant or the contract buyer putting down 50k.  If it is the contract buyer, I think that is a bit unrealistic to have a financed, non investor buyer put 50k down on a 200k property.  That is just me though.  

    There is not going to be any lag time between vacancy and transfer of title.  Worst case, if the buyers ultimately fall through at the 11th hour, I won't have any problem what so ever filling the units.  The potential vacancy is not really a concern of mine at this point. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    @Sam Shueh, I understand what you are saying, but no-one ever buys right at the bottom and sells at the absolute peak of the top.  A 100k hit on this property is worth selling now.  By the time it would take me to get another 10 or even 20k, I would have used the profits to do 10 more deals.  Milking every drop out of every deal isn't my style.  Id rather leave a little on the table because I make it up in volume.  Recycle that money over and over again. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    @John Akolt, I like your play, but it won't work for this particular buyer.  He doesn't want me holding any not what so ever. 

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Brandon Ingegneri If vacancies are not an issue, then just make the offers you said to the older man and if he doesn't accept, sell it to the contract buyer

    last year I found a triplex for sale with one old lady living in it. Her father actually built the place and she's lived there her whole life. the building passed on to an investor who was selling it and there's no way I could have kept her in there as it needed a gut rehab. I asked that she vacate the property when it was sold to me.


    Made it even harder when one day I was visiting the place and she told me her life story and the history of the building. Very nice person but this deal turned out to be one of the best deals ever.

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @David Zheng:

    @Brandon Ingegneri If vacancies are not an issue, then just make the offers you said to the older man and if he doesn't accept, sell it to the contract buyer

    last year I found a triplex for sale with one old lady living in it. Her father actually built the place and she's lived there her whole life. the building passed on to an investor who was selling it and there's no way I could have kept her in there as it needed a gut rehab. I asked that she vacate the property when it was sold to me.


    Made it even harder when one day I was visiting the place and she told me her life story and the history of the building. Very nice person but this deal turned out to be one of the best deals ever.

     Im not sure if youve been reading along or not, but that is what I did.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.