James Wise Clayton Morris Trailer video

James Wise Clayton Morris Trailer video

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes

For all of you who did not catch this Trailer video that James posted on U Tube I was able to watch it.. 

I found it well done.  And was even more amazed that Jim got Clayton on the phone all the way from Portugal.

other than a few F bombs by both parties.. it was and is well done.

Even a little Cameo from myself LOL..

Jim has gotten videos and audio testimony from industry experts and actual victims as well as when you see it a phone call with Clayton himself.. I am not sure if there is more Audio on Clayton that I saw on the trailer.

But suffice it to say.. it was Vintage Morris  IE just pretty much exactly how his wife portrays them as victims.

Clayton goes on to mention other Indy providers that were in the same mess with Whalen .. And then proceeds to question Jim's investigative reporting bona fides.. And Clayton wanted to know what business was it of Jim's to be doing this at all.  And Clayton mentioned me as well as I have been from the very first post pretty straight forward that the model as sold by Morris even if all the rehab funds had not been diverted and you had ponzi like rental payments being made , that the model is and was flawed from day one and would never have worked as he described.. 

The big one though was When Jim says to Clayton  " But dude your in Portugal how does that make you look"  no answer.. 

For sure one thing is certain he is no dummy and I am sure he talked to many lawyers about where he could go to avoid massive litigation and potential criminal and then set up shop and keep selling whatever he is selling to new folks.

U still see it on any social media when his wife gets on and does the Poor this is not fair to Clayton or I routine.. there will be 50 people singing their praise.. Of course I Bet not one of them lost their entire life's savings like one of the investors that Jim had interviewed and is on the trailer.. 

I commend Jim for his work in this .. It will have benefits throughout the industry showing and teaching people about OOS investing and being led by someone with a lot of fame but no real estate experience to speak of... 

Lastly this is a sad case Morris with his background could have been one of the larger resellers of rentals in the US no doubt right up there with the other big resale companies we all know about.. And I can tell you from first hand experience all those other resale companies ran into the same thing Morris did.. but the difference is they realized it quickly and cut off those bad actors by and large. 

@Jim K.@James Wise    Jim I tagged you on accident but in reality you could write the how to book on how to navigate those lower end assets. 

12Reply
322 views

Most Popular Reply

Kathy FettkePro Member
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 180 votes
6y

I had Clayton on my podcast years ago and was shocked that he was selling properties in the hood. I'd been down that road and knew the perils of it. I asked how he was making that work as it sounded risky to me. He said it was going great. (I thought, there must be something he doesn't know quite yet...)

In 2010, a large group of Australians came to me begging for $10,000 properties that rented for $900/month, as they'd seen on TV somewhere. I told them if I could find such a thing, I would buy it too! :-) 

We ended up touring Kansas City together and met with several "turnkey" providers. One of them was a property manager in the inner city of KC. On paper, he had these kinds of returns. I warned the Aussies in a follow up email that low-income, high crime areas were not recommended by me or RWN. They wrote back saying it was none of my business what they do... After all, the homes were so very cheap  - often less than $10,000 - what could go wrong? (Everything!)

Several bought these rentals, in spite of my advice. Not many months later, they contacted me to tell me it was a nightmare. The properties had high turnover, and every time they did a make-ready, items would get stolen. The repair costs from damage and theft were so high they begged to sell these inner-city properties. But who would buy?

They tried to blame me but I reminded them of the email I sent them. Investors really do need to take responsibility for the choices they make. They can sue all day long, but in the end, they won't get their money back in most cases. Does Clayton have insurance? I doubt it. While he should have been on top of the situation, so should the investors. Did they visit the properties, perform inspections and appraisals and rent comps? They never should have paid for renovations before they were done. 

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I am quite Republican in this regard. People, especially investors, need to take responsibility for the choices they make. Many of these losses could have been avoided with property due diligence. A Fox TV host does not make someone a savvy real estate investor. 

Some consider me a "celebrity" too but this doesn't mean that just because I recommend something, investors shouldn't also do their proper due diligence. A guy bought some crappy properties through a provider we no longer work with. He failed to visit the property, get inspections or appraisals. He didn't do any investigation at all. And when things didn't work out, he wanted to blame me. I didn't even know he bought them! He never asked for my advice. We were never paid any kind of referral fee.

I hate seeing investors lose money. I have lost money from trusting the wrong people, and it stinks. But I never blamed anyone but myself.

See this reply in the discussion

111 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fairfax, MO · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 170 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    UPDATE:

    YouTube has accepted my Copyright counter claim that Clayton's Copyright claim of my video is bogus.  What this means is that he's now got 10 business days to get a court order to prevent me from putting the video back up. Seems like a pretty tough task to accomplish when you are hunkered down in Portugal avoiding the United States.

    As a side note to the above has anyone seen the most recent Morris Invest video? It was released last night. It's titled "mistakes don't exist" Essentially it is Clayton Morris giving a monologue about mistakes being good for entrepreneurs and the world in general. He goes into some stories about Henry Ford loosing all of his investor's money not once, but twice and then some nonsense about Albert Einstein only figuring out E = MC² due to the mistakes he's made. Lol, sounds an awful lot like a guy who's trying to prep his audience for a storm as he knows his goose is cooked with this video coming out.

    @David Barnett @Russell Brazil @Trent Chance @Ola Dantis @Phil Dodd @Mike Dymski @Roni E. @Ryan Evans @Kathy Fettke @Joel Fine @Mike H. @Jim K. @Robert Matelski @Chad McLeod @Dennis M. @Pavel Shemyakin @Tanner Marsey @Account Closed 

    So I'm guessing we'll see this trailer back online on Friday the 18th then?

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 403 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @Chris Hedlund I hope so I’ll be looking for it on the 18th. 🤞🏾

  • Fairfax, MO · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 170 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Collins:

    @Chris Hedlund I hope so I’ll be looking for it on the 18th. 🤞🏾

    Yep! Me too! I haven't seen it yet...

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Collins:

    @Chris Hedlund I hope so I’ll be looking for it on the 18th. 🤞🏾

     On Oct 8th Clayton was given 10 business days to supply YouTube with proof of a court order against me. If he is unable to do so it should be back up on Oct 22nd or Oct 23rd.

  • Fairfax, MO · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 170 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Robert Collins:

    @Chris Hedlund I hope so I’ll be looking for it on the 18th. 🤞🏾

     On Oct 8th Clayton was given 10 business days to supply YouTube with proof of a court order against me. If he is unable to do so it should be back up on Oct 22nd or Oct 23rd.

     Right - business days - I forgot...

  • Real Estate Investor · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 320 votes
    6y

    Upload it on Dailymotion or Vimeo. @James Wise

    I love that good drama!



  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y

    Lol.

    Not interested in uploading the video to any other platforms at this time...Only 8 days until I win the copyright claim I am in with Clayton Morris.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Robert Collins:

    @Chris Hedlund I hope so I’ll be looking for it on the 18th. 🤞🏾

     On Oct 8th Clayton was given 10 business days to supply YouTube with proof of a court order against me. If he is unable to do so it should be back up on Oct 22nd or Oct 23rd.

     Right - business days - I forgot...

    Do most folks take weekends off in Portugal?

  • Real Estate Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 236 posts · 328 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Robert Collins:

    @Chris Hedlund I hope so I’ll be looking for it on the 18th. 🤞🏾

     On Oct 8th Clayton was given 10 business days to supply YouTube with proof of a court order against me. If he is unable to do so it should be back up on Oct 22nd or Oct 23rd.

     Right - business days - I forgot...

    Do most folks take weekends off in Portugal?

    Yes, but you might not notice since they take the rest of the week off too.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Peter Sanchez:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Robert Collins:

    @Chris Hedlund I hope so I’ll be looking for it on the 18th. 🤞🏾

     On Oct 8th Clayton was given 10 business days to supply YouTube with proof of a court order against me. If he is unable to do so it should be back up on Oct 22nd or Oct 23rd.

     Right - business days - I forgot...

    Do most folks take weekends off in Portugal?

    Yes, but you might not notice since they take the rest of the week off too.  

     🤣 Savage

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y

    All,

    I have officially won the copyright claim against Clayton Morris. His attempt at suppression has failed and the video has been restored.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y

    I believe a link to the video is in the market place for all you that may want to view it.. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y

    It seems that Clayton Morris is willing to do anything he can to suppress the voices of those investors who claim to have lost money investing with his company Morris Invest....Clayton Morris is now suing me.

    More information can be found in this thread 

    Clayton Morris is suing James Wise

    @David Barnett @Russ B. @Russell Brazil @Trent Chance @Chris Clothier @Ola Dantis @Phil Dodd @Jay Hinrichs @Mike Dymski @Roni E. @Ryan Evans @Kathy Fettke @Joel Fine @Account Closed

  • Kathy FettkePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 180 votes
    6y

    @James Wise Oh MY! Can you really sue someone for interviewing other people about their experience? How is that different than a Yelp review or any review for that matter? 

    I was going to interview some people who got burned by Growth Equity Group, owned by Preston Despenas and Brett Immel and wondered if it would be libelous - but then I thought, digging for truth is done every day in the media. That's what investigative reporting is! Albeit, everyone seems to have their own version of what's true. 

    I'm so sorry you're getting sued. I would think that would get thrown out immediately.

    With that said, I do believe Clayton is in a tough position because he can't really talk details if he's in the middle of lawsuits. I imagine his attorney has said not to discuss it. It would be nice to hear his point of view. If he's reading this and would like to give his side of the story, I'd be happy to interview him on the Real Wealth Show. :-)  

    I'm still hoping that he's innocent and didn't know what was happening. I'd rather believe in the integrity of our colleagues in real estate, at least until there's hard evidence of the opposite. God knows, I've been burned by contractors, lenders, turnkey providers and even attorneys - and I didn't know right away until it blew up in my face. 

    @James Wiseundefined

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @James Wise - if you have the right to face your accuser, does that mean you can make him drag his butt back to the US? Pretty sure many would thank you!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kathy Fettke:

    @James Wise Oh MY! Can you really sue someone for interviewing other people about their experience? How is that different than a Yelp review or any review for that matter? 

    I was going to interview some people who got burned by Growth Equity Group, owned by Preston Despenas and Brett Immel and wondered if it would be libelous - but then I thought, digging for truth is done every day in the media. That's what investigative reporting is! Albeit, everyone seems to have their own version of what's true. 

    I'm so sorry you're getting sued. I would think that would get thrown out immediately.

    With that said, I do believe Clayton is in a tough position because he can't really talk details if he's in the middle of lawsuits. I imagine his attorney has said not to discuss it. It would be nice to hear his point of view. If he's reading this and would like to give his side of the story, I'd be happy to interview him on the Real Wealth Show. :-)  

    I'm still hoping that he's innocent and didn't know what was happening. I'd rather believe in the integrity of our colleagues in real estate, at least until there's hard evidence of the opposite. God knows, I've been burned by contractors, lenders, turnkey providers and even attorneys - and I didn't know right away until it blew up in my face. 

    @James Wiseundefined

     I believe the things that Clayton wants to suppress the most are the things he said to me which are in the video.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y

    @Jim K. @Robert Matelski @Chad McLeod @Dennis M. @Brian M. @Joel Owens @Anthony Rosa @Peter Sanchez @Chris Seveney @Tim S. @AJ Singh @Victor S. @James Wilcox @Robert Collins @Account Closed

    It seems that Clayton Morris is willing to do anything he can to suppress the voices of those investors who claim to have lost money investing with his company Morris Invest....Clayton Morris is now suing me.

    More information can be found in this thread

    Clayton Morris is suing James Wise

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    I was surprised how dirty his mouth was in the phone interview . Seemed very out of character to hear him curse like that . 

  • James WilcoxBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:

    I was surprised how dirty his mouth was in the phone interview . Seemed very out of character to hear him curse like that . 

    I didn't see it but he clearly just wants to protect his "image" and the money he got from people. His "character" is probably shallow at best. That doesn't just change overnight.

    REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Wilcox:
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:

    I was surprised how dirty his mouth was in the phone interview . Seemed very out of character to hear him curse like that . 

    I didn't see it but he clearly just wants to protect his "image" and the money he got from people. His "character" is probably shallow at best. That doesn't just change overnight.

     When you watch it let me know your thoughts. I imagine to him the most damming things done to his character are the things he said himself. As Dennis said, totally out of character for him and his image. Me I speak like a friggin' sailor but he maintains a very different public persona than what we hear on the phone when his hair is down so to speak.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville County SC / Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 403 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @James Wise by him fleeing he country, to going to the county he is in, is it possible he could get away with this fraud charge & not do anytime or have to pay any penalties as long as he stays over there ? 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Then he should have been smart and not said them in the first place or not agreed to the interview. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Collins:

    @James Wise by him fleeing he country, to going to the county he is in, is it possible he could get away with this fraud charge & not do anytime or have to pay any penalties as long as he stays over there ? 

     Oh man, those aren't questions I can answer. I will say this though...If Clayton Morris were to loose a civil judgement in the USA the fact that he's now living outside of the USA would make collecting on said judgement much harder. If Clayton Morris were to be criminally prosecuted by the US government and found guilty / sentenced to jail time, yes it'd be a lot harder to enforce.

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Kathy Fettke I hear you wanting to believe that someone who is big in the space and who is well known is innocent. I don’t want there to be any more bad publicity or give more reasons for people to not trust real estate investors. 

    And I agree that It is totally possible for someone to be burned badly by partners or other people that they are doing business with. That I get. What I don’t get is when he started to see things fall apart, or when he caught wind that things were not being done correctly, he could have and should have stopped immediately and let people know what was going on. But he didn’t. He continued to market and sell his products and act as if everything was still going well. He removed most of the negative feedback that was posted to his YouTube channel and made it seem like everything was still going great and attracting new investors. Many of the investors understood that they were doing business with him, he signed several of the documents but then they found out that they were being sent to another company. In my opinion that is misrepresentation. 

    That is what I have a problem with. He got paid to market something that he then took no responsibility for and continued to sell when he found out that it was a bad product.

    @Jay Hinrichs started to warn people about the dangers of investing from out of state in D-class properties in Indianapolis a long time before everything came to light. The model had been tried many times and has failed many times. The properties were presented as much better than they actually were and Clayton advertised to potential investors that investing in one of his homes would be like a one stop shop set up. Then he didn’t ensure that the rehabs were being done as he advertised to people. Yet he continued to do it. He told people that they should do their due diligence but when people would call in to get one of the investment properties they would be told that the property that they were interested in buying would probably be sold within a few hours. That doesn’t give an out-of-state investor enough time to properly do their due diligence. So they are left to make a quick decision (which he would encourage people to do in his podcasts). And they decided if they weren’t certain about the property then at least they were certain that they could trust Clayton as the operator.

    So what it seems like to me is that he started off with a good idea and scalable model (if the product and the operators had been good) and then it got too big to oversee and things started to fall apart so he tried to dig himself out of a hole by selling more pad products. The only problem is you cannot dig yourself out of a hole. You have to stop digging, put the shovel down, and climb out. But instead he kept doing it and then he pointed the finger at his partner and said that he was the one to blame.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y

    @Kathy Fettke@Shiloh Lundahl  Shiloh as U pointed out when his business model came to light on BP I was one of the very first to say Hey that no work.. been there done that..  Chris Clothier also said the same thing.. so my 20 plus years of funding turnkey operators ( on their acquisitions) at least 3,000 funding's  and Chris's immense experience as the nations top turnkey provider were saying the same thing.

    the marketing message from Morris was this  lets no forget how he did this.

    1. C D class is easier to manage than A B  class.  WRONG if he truly believed that he was either delusional or had no real experience in the space.  He would go on to say the reason was the tenant were just happy for a home.

    2. Doctors and Nurses live in these homes.. Nurses maybe Doctors no way.. 

    3. 50k all in full rehah that's all you need to spend..  Chris and I both went off on this is not possible.. And even if it was home that had some rehab for those dollars when you back out  HIs broker fee  wholesalers profit  contractor profit his partners profit rehab costs.. you buying assets that cost 5 to 10k MAX.. and where are those located..  ???  the hood.

    4. MOrris would say we are selling so many homes that you need to make an appointment for a call and we are booked out for 3 months just to get on the call..  what sales organization is booked out 3 months.. ???  and then the high pressure close .

    Morris knew what was going on. And it appears he attacked investors that just really relied on his on air fame and lowered their due diligence guard..  Kathy like you I have been caught of course with bad vendors .. it never stops but when we do hit a bad one we stop quickly like you said.. he went on to sell 1000 of these homes. of which Maybe and just maybe 20% of them got any kind of rehab at all.. and they were all in the worst neighborhoods in the cities. I also know one of his vendors VERY well in a different market . and I asked him since he was mainly selling B stuff.. and was telling me that Morris needed  D and C because he needed that number to work.. 50k  purchase all in 10% return.. very Madoff like. once these things came to light he stopped providing inventory for Morris. But the very few he sold, he knew he would have to stand behind them long term and he has that's why you never see a mention of him or his market related to Morris... its not a product that works for OOS investors MOST of the time everything done correctly up front.. this is why the top providers moved on from those areas.

    In addition I was on a trip to Indy at a PM's office in 2017 and the PM was on the phone with MOrris and he (Morris) was already lamenting to this other PM that he had a cluster on his hands Just like he admitted in @jameswise video .. but as Shiloh points out.. just steamed on.. YOU know money is a drug.. and for him just starting in the space.. You sell that much product and start making 200k a month your just not going to stop.. I mean its just human nature.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.