Areas that with houses for 50k

Areas that with houses for 50k

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Are there any places that sell single family houses for 50k that’s not in a war zone? 

I’m looking for houses that I can buy that would cash flow in descent areas. I’m not looking for appreciation, so no need for that debate please. 

16Reply
335 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Rochester, MI · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 584 votes
6y

I got SFHs for $50k, that would cashflow very nice. Blue collar, not a war zone. Professional management.

See this reply in the discussion

147 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    Does it matter if the home has wheels? Lol, but seriously, $50k, if wheels are ok we can hook you up. 

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ploszay:

    @Soh Tanaka   Hammond is the place to be.  The City appears strict.  I am interested in venturing there as well.  What is your experience with the City?

     Hammond is easy to work with if you play by their rules and know what they care about enforcing. I do 35-40 houses a year there and have no issues. Houses sub $50k are tough to find in Hammond. I used to buy stuff all day for $10-30k and sell to investors for $30-45k. Not I’m buying $40-60k to sell for $55-70k. But it’s a nice city with average appreciation and good rental rates. The mayor has done a fantastic job making the city a nicer place. 

    East Chicago, Gary, and Lake station are the only places to find sub $50k houses that are decent. I can grab $20-30k very livable houses in any of those areas any day through my marketing. Can get $800-900 for a 3/1 easily. Tenants can be a little rougher but the CF is great. 

  • Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Arsen Atanasovski could you send me his information. I’m looking in Ohio for a duplex rental property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    Yes, there are hundreds of them across the US. This is my entire business model. Remember that getting into a house at less than $50k doesn't guarantee it will cash flow. Perfect to BRRRR and get all in for low/no money in the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Flint, MI · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Joe S.

    I invest in Genesee County, MI. I've been able to get city owned homes and update all the essentials; roof, plumbing, electrical and service the HVAC for 3 bed 1 bath houses that rent for $700-800. Not war zones. I've lived in these neighborhoods. You can send me a message if you'd like to talk.

  • Rental Property Investor · Elkhart, IN · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 52 votes
    6y

    @Joe S.

    A lot of places in northern Indiana have houses around this price point and an excellent labor market to support good tenants. South Bend, IN, Mishawaka, IN, Elkhart, IN, Goshen, IN are all places that have “larger” population densities in northern Indiana with houses in this price point. As always, you need to do your homework on the areas, and of course the properties themselves, but generally speaking these areas provide good cash flows. Additionally, some of these areas have provided above average property value appreciation post recession and in particular the last few years.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 151 posts · 92 votes
    6y

    @Joe S. Northeast Ohio (Akron, Cle, Canton) .. can vary by street in same zones ..

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Arsen Atanasovski do you have some for sale currently?

  • MD · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Arsen Atanasovski

    I'm looking to connect with lendors in ohio can you message me his/her info so I can call and check them out. Than you.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Joe S.

    Definitely have ones already rented and have a management company with net income rate of 8% around the Dayton Ohio area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:
    Originally posted by @Henry Lazerow:

    Lots of places but the cap/ex will kill you if you aren't self managing. Don't fall for the trap you are much better off using the $50k as a downpayment.

     I’m not debating that point. 50k may very well be to low of a bar. What I was considering was to buy a number of houses for cash flow that would have low to no leverage. 
    I already have quite a number of higher priced houses with loans. I’m simply reviewing my model for safety.

    Thanks for the insight.

    I do this in Tolédo Ohio, no war  zones, working class neighborhoods.

  • Investor · Irving, TX · Member since 2015 · 101 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Arsen Atanasovski

    Hi,

    If you don’t mind sharing some location info

    Please pm me.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Buying outside of your local market without a lot of due diligence is potentially riskier than knowing if you can handle a war zone or not.  

  • Rental Property Investor · IN · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    I have two 50k houses in St Louis. Working class neighborhood. I was able to get a mortgage for both and they cash flow. I invest long distance and have property management in place. 

  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    6y

    @Brian Ploszay - I think a strict city can be a double edge sword. I haven't had any issues yet, but then again it hasn't been too long since the purchase. Also, I work with a company that deal with the city, so I don't directly get involved with the city.

  • Steven MayBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 262 posts · 250 votes
    6y

    @Joe S.

    Independence, MO - just on the outskirts of Kansas City, MO!

    Great area for low cost homes that need minimal work and still cash flow.

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 54 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:

    Are there any places that sell single family houses for 50k that’s not in a war zone? 

    I’m looking for houses that I can buy that would cash flow in descent areas. I’m not looking for appreciation, so no need for that debate please. 

    Hi Joe - I see you are from San Antonio...there are those towns all over East Texas!  Do a search on Realtor.com for <$50,000 in Texas and you'll see where there are concentrations.

  • David BowlesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Davison, MI · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    @Arsen Atanasovski ELGA credit union will do small loans. I current have my first house under contract with them. 60k market value, 43k agreed sales price. Total down at closing should be around 17.8k (after the 1k earnest money) and I am getting 17k back from the seller after closing.

    Long story short, there are a few good lenders in the genesee county area that will loan small. The two best lenders I was working with locally are Dort Financial, ELGA credit union. Any large loans I need will go through Rockwood mortgage. Rocky (the owner) is a true rockstar!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 337 posts · 470 votes
    6y

    These properties are all over the rust belt/midwest, as specially in tertiary markets.  You'll struggle to find them in any other area of the country.  If you're investing out of state, you'll need to build a team.  Go with the market that's showing population growth and one that you're able to find people you can rely on and trust.  That's more important than any other factor when investing in these types of properties.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    @Joe S. it is! I want to emphasize that was a value add play. The buyer bought with 20% down and then had to do a 8-11k upgrade to push that rent rate. Typically if you cash flow as-is you're looking at closer to ~$150-$180/month. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Joe S. Please read my buy and hold help paper linked off my profile 1st paragraph,; how to buy a bullet proof rental portfolio.

    Please buy decent 3/2 house in ok decent area near freeways then screen for good tenants who commit to long term lease. I keep priblem free tenants fir years :)

  • Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Hey Joe! I am the Dispositions Manager with a RE Wholesaler in Indianapolis. Usually about once a week we get a new house in our pipeline that sells for ~50k. The Indianapolis Area can be a pretty good area for people wanting to start investing in real estate for low entry costs.

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Central Indiana

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Joe S. Baltimore MD has low housing prices and is being regentrified. I’ve been told b-more city is difficult to deal with as a landlord but I am not familiar with all the reasons why yet.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 462 votes
    6y

    In Erie, PA we have both SFH as well as duplexes that sell for 50k an are in decent areas (blue collar). I also manage properties if you are out of town or down have anyone close to the area. Shoot me a message if you are interested

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.