Bandit Signs for Lead Gen... Bad Idea?

Bandit Signs for Lead Gen... Bad Idea?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hey folks, yesterday I was reading through a discussion in a Facebook group and someone mentioned using bandit signs to advertise "fake" homes for sale - just to build a buyers list (sorry... this property just got sold this morning - but can I add you to my list for other deals.)

Is it just me or is this ridiculous to start off a relationship with a cash buyer with a lie? Or is this just smart marketing?

Thoughts? @Joshua D. ?

0Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
13y

I am pitching a Reality TV show where I go around to different cities, then take and deface illegal signs. I am working out different money shot ideas, my favorite currently is the one where I call the Bandit signer, have him meet me to show me a property, then I get his reaction when I show him all his signs, cut into pieces, in the back of my van.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I put them up once, too much work and not enough calls back.

    A good friend gets deals this way though, different strokes for different folks.

    I do always laugh when I drive by a dozen bandit signs on the way to a deal I've just secured though different methods.

  • Real Estate Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2012 · 81 posts · 20 votes
    13y

    As a wholesaler myself I agree with Jon Holdman. I think as a wholesaler I am more of a marketer than an Investor.

    My basic duties are:

    1. Advertising for motivated sellers.
    2. Negotiate a great price
    3. Market to Cash buyers

    Rinse and Repeat.

    Not really my definition of an investor.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 303 votes
    13y

    @Jon Holdman

    I consistently have 1 or 2 renovations going on(right now I have two major rehabs finishing up) all using my companies own private capital. I have also thrown a TON of signs. I guess I am the exception to your rule?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Bandit signs worked for me to buy, lease and sell properties.

    It generates the most number of phone calls but not the highest quality. And yes, it is looked down upon by the city or town government people. Regardless of anyone's opinion about it, putting out bandit signs works.

    Example: I was able to lease my rent-to-own properties in less than 2 weeks because of my bandit signs.


  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Wholesaling, brokering, developing, fix and flipping, property management - none of these are investing. They're all jobs. You do the work and you get paid. With all of these types of "investing" if you stop doing the work, you stop getting paid.

    Investing means taking your MONEY and putting it into some venture and earning a return. Once you make the investment, you don't do have to any work for that particular investment. Some folks use the phrase "your money works for you" or "passive income" for this.

    The term "real estate investor" is often used very broadly to include a number of real estate related JOBs. Especially by gurus who, in one breath denigrate any one who has a J.O.B. as a loser who has to desire to truly succeed and in the next breath preaches you can make a ton of money if you just buy their course. A course that teaches you how to do some JOB, like wholesaling.

    @Justin Stamper I didn't say people don't use bandit signs or that they're not successful. I was pushing back on @Dev Horn's statement that "MOST real investors" have used bandit signs. You're ONE investor who does use them. And I'm sure many investors, in the broad sense of that word, do use them. But "many" and "most" are not at all the same thing.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 26 votes
    13y

    It seems the majority of this thread's responders believe fake ad bandit signs are not appropriate. Furthermore, bandit signs in areas where posting such are illegal is equally frowned upon.

    So as long as bandit signs are legal in your area, I take it everyone is okay with using bandit signs to solicit sellers.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Hey @Kelly P. - I'm perfectly okay with it in those cases, however, I still think that there are other ways to go that don't litter up our neighborhoods and would personally recommend those methods.

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Is this deceptive advertising? =P

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.