Floodplain - To build or not to build?

Floodplain - To build or not to build?

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Group,

As a commercial GC, I've built many projects in the 100 year flood plain for clients. As an aspiring commercial developer, I tend to look at properties that I believe are GREAT opportunities based on location and price per acre/foot that fall in these flood zones. Aside from additional detention volume, mitigation,  and raising the elevation, what are some other factors I may need to consider that are more technical than moving dirt.

I always plan on engaging with a civil engineer during the due diligence phase so I will know if a property will be suitable for my proposed development. 

0Reply
32 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · San Antonio · Member since 2016 · 157 posts · 85 votes
    1y

    The impact of additional design effort & permitting to the timeline of the project. Modeling the floodplain can be significant work for the civil, and then permitting time with FEMA can be extensive.

  • Member since 2021 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    Hello Brent, I'm in Houston Tx, Phil

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Brent Thomas The current cost of flood insurance for a building in a flood plain may need to be considered.

    I just looked at a 4 plex in a flood plain. The homeowners insurance was about $2500 but the flood policy was $10,000.

    This alone was enough to deter me from any further consideration of this property as without factoring in any other information $1000+ per month in insurance ate up any cash flow that there might be otherwise.

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    OP not sure on what you mean by more technical.   

    1.  Keeping water flow into the downstream neighbors property the same.

    2.  Do you create a damming effect causing a portion of a neighbors property to now be in a flood zone.  

    3.  Sewage lift pump.  Do you have enough “fall” across your property, or do you need a lift pump.  

    4.   Storm drains.  Do you have enough “fall” to connect to the city or reach a storm pond.  

    5.  Surface coverage versus drainage.  Example.  If you have say 80% building coverage that drains onto a drive say 5%, it will flood your building.  Grew up in LA and TX.  The most unexpected place I saw this was Lubbock TX.  The town would flood because it was so flat and had to much building coverage for the drainage.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.