Best Way to Start with Commercial REI and Finding a Mentor

Best Way to Start with Commercial REI and Finding a Mentor

Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 10 votes

Hello,

I'm new BP and REI – a complete newbie in fact. I live in the Houston, TX area and want to concentrate on Commercial RE. I'm interested in both apartment complexes and office buildings. I originally thought I would need to invest in residential (SF – 4 plex) before moving on to commercial. But after reading several posts here on BP, I'm rethinking that. From my research, I now believe that commercial is really quite different from residential, and beginning with residential if I want to be in commercial holds no benefit – aside from offering quick deals (cash flow) I can use towards commercial deals. I'm currently looking at a few 5-6 unit facilities in my area. I've been using a few well known sites to practice finding deals and analyzing them. There is a lot to analyze in a commercial deal!

I’ve also been researching and asking about mentors, both free and for-pay. Considering my experience level, I’m thinking a mentor would immensely benefit me; however, I don’t personally know anyone who invests in commercial RE and most of the for-pay mentors I’ve come across are quite expensive. If I affiliate with one those for-pay mentors, it would significantly delay my ability to get out there and purchase. Seeking an experienced commercial investor (who doesn’t mentor through a structured guru corporate environment) willing to dedicate one on one time with a newbie has not proved fruitful either…which I understand. 1) Most of the people I’ve run across (at my local RE clubs) who could act as a mentor focus on residential deals, and 2) It’s not as if I’m able to bring my own network or any RE experience to the table. It has been suggested that I join one of the local syndication RE clubs to get a mentor, but again, they are super expensive (they offer different packages and the commercial mentoring packages are $15,000-20,000).

Finally, here are my questions.

  • 1) In your opinion, for a beginner, what is the best way to begin with commercial RE (small 5-6 unit apt complexes, office buildings, or would you recommend another investment vehicle)?
  • 2) Considering my experience and chosen niche(s), should I pay for a mentor?
  • 3) Since I’d prefer not to pay for a mentor, can anyone offer any tips on how to meet a commercial REI mentor? I have a full time career, so quitting to intern is not an option.
  • 4) I don’t have $30,000, $50,000, or $75,000+ to invest. My research tells me commercial lenders focus mainly on the deal and not personal finances (though my career pays me well); and, if I could come up with some creative financing, perhaps my lack of funds wouldn’t be such an issue (especially for a 5-6 unit place). Is this true? Do I understand that correctly?
  • 5) Any other tips you have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance for taking to time to answer my questions and comment. Oh, and um, sorry for the novel.

6Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Anthony CharaPro Member
Investor · Centennial, CO · Member since 2012 · 327 posts · 232 votes
10y

Hi Sonya, good feedback from @Account Closed. You don't have to jump into mentorship right away either. You can start small and just learn from someone or someones that have been investing in your niche for quite some time. Learn from their successes and their mistakes so you don't make the same ones. BTW, if they haven't made any mistakes, I suggest you find someone else to teach you. 

Once you get your feet under you and perhaps have done a small deal or two based on your criteria above, then it might be better to reach out to a mentor to help you reach that next level. You should also be able to recoup your investment in your mentor on your first deal too! Either in the form of just creating a killer deal or getting an acquisition fee from your investors for putting the whole deal together. Therefore, I wouldn't focus on the price tag, but on the value of the results of learning from the mentor. I do have a biased opinion though, but I'd love to hear feedback from others on my thoughts.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Santa Fe , CA · Member since 2016 · 323 posts · 107 votes
    10y

    Hello, Sonya 

    I am Paul, I am my self a commercial and multifamily investor and also worked for a large Private equity,  firm with a huge portfolio, Residential, Commercial, you name it they have it, if you want to start with little to no money what i will advice you to do is. this 7 steps 

    1) find a market 

    2) find your budget

    3) study the different lending methods ( HML, Bridge, Conventional ETC )

    4) find a deal a real deal and run it by my or by BP or somebody with a little more experience before rushing into buying 

    5) forget about the cash flow at the beginning  focus, on equity building and steady tenants. 

    6) buy and hold or fix and sell ? 

    7) DONT RUSH CAUSE A DEAL SEEMS LIKE A GOOD DEAL. STUDY STUDY MORE, START SMALLER LEARN FROM MISTAKES WE ALL MAKE THEM 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed,  I will most certainly look into the 7 steps you provided. Thank you for that, and for offering to assist once I find a good deal. I’ve begun working on steps 1-3. I’ve also bought and am reading BP’s Brandon Turner’s “The Book on Rental Property Investing” (on the 4th chapter) and “The Book on Managing Rental Properties” (not yet started).

    To answer your # 6, I am looking to buy and hold...hands down.

  • Anthony CharaPro Member
    Investor · Centennial, CO · Member since 2012 · 327 posts · 232 votes
    10y

    Hi Sonya, good feedback from @Account Closed. You don't have to jump into mentorship right away either. You can start small and just learn from someone or someones that have been investing in your niche for quite some time. Learn from their successes and their mistakes so you don't make the same ones. BTW, if they haven't made any mistakes, I suggest you find someone else to teach you. 

    Once you get your feet under you and perhaps have done a small deal or two based on your criteria above, then it might be better to reach out to a mentor to help you reach that next level. You should also be able to recoup your investment in your mentor on your first deal too! Either in the form of just creating a killer deal or getting an acquisition fee from your investors for putting the whole deal together. Therefore, I wouldn't focus on the price tag, but on the value of the results of learning from the mentor. I do have a biased opinion though, but I'd love to hear feedback from others on my thoughts.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Anthony Chara, thank you for responding. If I'm unable to secure a mentor before doing my 1st deal, it looks like I will be waiting until I do a deal or two. I have no intention on waiting to find a mentor to complete my 1st deal, its just that I know a mentor would reduce learning times and mistakes. I was hoping to foster an investing relationship where we could be mutually beneficial to one another; however, I'll keep looking and learning and will take action in the mean time. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y

    hi Sonya, I'm not a commercial real estate investor but I do have a few suggestions:

    Don't seek a mentor by asking someone to be your mentor. Ask them to coffee or lunch or dinner to pick their brains/discuss commercial real estate/how they got their start and see if the relationship blossoms to a mentorship. 

    1. Try using the meetup app to find a commercial real estate investment club

    2. Try attending the main event at RICH Club and see if you can find one there

    3. Ask residential investors if they know anyone

    4. Go to big events like JetLending or Noble Mortgage

    5. Use the bp search function to find people who identify themselves as commercial investors.  First in the Houston area then larger, you may get what you need from a non local. Maybe even target podcast guests and send them a colleague request. I didn't believe I'd ever get to actually speak with Elizabeth Colegrove after hearing her on BP but I sent her a colleague request and we've had a few discussions. 

    Network hard and ask questions

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Tim Shin, Thank you for the pointers. As RE clubs go, so far I've joined Lifestyles Unlimited (the basic membership - wasn't ready to shell out $20,000+) and The Wealth Club. I haven't been to the RICH club yet so I'll have to check them out. I'll put some of your other pointers into play as well. Thanks again.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    10y

    @Sonya B. I think you have some great advice here!! I am a commercial apartment buyer so I can throw my opinion in also:

    Finally, here are my questions.

    1a) find a market you like (apartment complex is my favorite)

    1b) pick a price point

    2) mentors are a good idea they can take out the learning curve and help avoid mistakets

    3) go down to the REIA and network. Meet everyone in the area and pick there brains

    4) might need to meet a balance sheet partners

    5) try and find the deals with value so you can buy, fix, and refinance and do it again. Become an expert, don't just jump in. Take your time and learn your markets and what you want to do

    if you have any questions let me know, I would be glad to help

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    @Sonya B.

    Thank you for starting this discussion! I too am new to REI and am looking to start in small apartments. I have learned some valuable things reading this.

    @John Cohen

    What's the best way for a first time investor to pick a price point if my plan is to bring on investors? It sounds like it may be challenging to get funding since I have no experience.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    Hi @Sonya B. welcome to BP. My primary professional background deals with Commercial Real Estate and the valuation side of it. Throughout the years of my experience what I have learned is that there are many variables to Commercial Real Estate and it takes time to really learn about the value side of it as well as the finance side of it. So it's okay to have a mentor, but due to the amount of money that is spent on Commercial deals I recommend that you have a good understanding of Commercial Real Estate Investing by reading as many books as possible and asking tons of questions from others such as BP and studying the market. I also recommend  knowing what your expectations are for having a mentor (meaning what is it that you are expecting to learn from being mentored). If I can be of help just let me know.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Sonya B. I'm local to you and just started investing in commercial real estate about 18 months ago.  I see you're in Katy, do you also work out there?  I work on the Southwest side but live Downtown.  I'd be happy to have a cup of coffee with you sometime and shed some light on the challenges of being a new investor in our market.  I dove straight into the deep end and its been a tremendous learning experience.  Thankfully its gone really well for the most part.  I've got what most would probably consider a mentor who helped me secure my first deal and do all the pertinent DD.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    10y

    @Hubert Washington Thats a great question!!! I would start by listing the people who you think will invest and how much they can invest. They start talking to them and gauge their interest. Based on the amount on equity you can raise or have thats how I would pick price point. Figure you can get 65%-80% LTV. TIP: what ever you need to raise double it lol.

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    @John Cohen

    I'm not sure if I should PM you or keep posting here but I have a few follow up questions.

    You mentioned "buy, fix, and refinance and do it again" in step 5 of your post. That is exactly what I want to learn to do. How does that factor in with acquiring financing? Is the capital need to fix the property raised along with the down payment or are you fixing the property using the cashflow it is generating?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    10y

    @Hubert Washington also raise the money upfront for fixing the property. When you rely on cash-flow, those deals always fall apart because things come up that are unexpected. All rehab put into the initial capital raise. 
    Shoot me a PM and we can chat some more also.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @John Cohen

    Thank you for responding, and for the pointers. I've actually been looking at my local REIA, and will definitely check them out soon. Thank your for answering Mr. Washington's question below about picking price points. I'll try my hand at that too. There is so much information out there that becoming an expert sounds daunting, but I have no intention on just jumping in blind. I'll most certainly learn what I can and ask lots of questions! I'll take you up on your offer of help and inbox you soon to get some questions answered. Thank you so much again!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Rachel Pervis,

    I've been going through a lot of the BP forum posts and member blogs, and have made a list of some books I'd like to check out. I'll be purchasing them soon. In case anyone reading this wants to know what they are, so far I have: Multi-Family Millions: 

    1. How Anyone Can Reposition Apartments for Big Profits by David Lindahl

    2. Loopholes of Real Estate (Rich Dad's Advisors) by Garrett Sutton

    3. The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Berges

    I know there are many more, but I figured this was a good starting point.

    As of for my expectations from a mentor, I have them in my head but should probably write them out so I can fine tune it. Thank you for your recommendations and for offering your help. I will certainly except all that I can get. And hopefully along the way, perhaps I can help as well.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Ben Moores,

    I used to live on the Southwest side! Now I live in Katy and work Downtown...small world. I'd love to grab a cup of coffee and talk. I'm super appreciative that you offered. I'll message you and we can set up a meetup. Thanks again, looking forward to it.

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Sonya B.

    Hi Sonya

    I used Dave Lindahl's coaching years ago, it was expensive but well worth the investment.  I would go to a live event, feel out the situation and then make a decision.  You need to choose a mentor that is actually doing it, not many out there.

    You can always look to partner with someone to increase your ability to purchase, and then manage the property for additional revenue

    Gino

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    10y

    @Sonya B. my pleasure

  • Yucaipa, CA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Thank you for this very important conversation, I am aiming for Commercial as a first purchase.

    Watching, 

    Tracey

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Sonya B. how's your progress?

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8y

    Everyone starts out somewhere. Number one is to be good stewards of other peoples time.

    You get those types of request  a lot and people do not understand that these investors are actively running  a day to day business. An hours worth of their time they would spend with you might be worth thousands to tens of thousands of dollars per hour for the return they get spending on their business.

    The people that get this information most will not follow through so it is a wasted exercise. This is why experienced companies make marketing materials and sell their knowledge. People that have no money, no experience, and want to suck away valuable time is a non-starter.

    You have to give something of value such as performing free tasks, going to work for an investment company from the ground up, pay for training,etc.

    People that are wanting freebies and have no skin in the game tend to do nothing when a bunch of work is involved. This post is in generalities and not directed at anyone in particular. This is just what I have observed over 14 years in the business. I have some colleagues 40 years in the business that own millions of sq ft and when I ask them something I am very respectful of their time. I read about 500 to 1,000 pages a week. Bigger Pockets also is a resource if you  pour through the decades of posts there can be gold in there. When you have no money and plenty of time you read,read,read, and practice,practice,practice for when you do look at making an investment.

    There are no free lunches in life. People have to do it for themselves. If others see you are willing to do what the other 90% of the population is not willing to do with hard work and a thirst for knowledge then maybe along the way someone will take an interest in helping that person along.

    I am not a rah,rah blow smoke type. I am realist. The sooner people get the realities of the business the better. Then they can make a decision to rise to the occasion or give up before they start because it looks to hard and too much work for them.    

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.