What are the best BP episodes about commercial real estate?

8 Replies

There are some really great podcasts out there dedicated to multifamily investing. Here are a few:

-Apartment building investing with @Michael Blank

-Joe fairless best ever podcast

-Jake and Gino

You will find much more info there compared to BP which tends to focus more on residential.

Mike - commercial can encompass a few different asset types. Can you please clarify? Multifamily is just one of several that fall into the commercial category: storage, office, retail, medical, etc.

I am interested in this topic too. I have been doing SFR in the past. I am interested in learning about retail. Where shall I start? Are there any good books or podcasts you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Hey @Mike Parelli ,

That's a great question. Although I'm not aware of every piece of commercial investing content out there, here are just a few of the books, YouTube channels and Podcasts that I've found helpful:

Books:

1. "Multi-Family Millions: How Anyone Can Reposition Apartments for Big Profits" by David Lindhal
  2. "Crushing it in Apartments And Commercial Real Estate: How a Small Investor Can Make It Big" by Brian Murphy
  3. "The Book On Rental Property Investing" by Brandon Turner
  4. "Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book" by Joe Fairless and Theo Hicks
  5. "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures" by Frank Gallinelli
  6. "Aggressive Tax Avoidance for Real Estate Investors: How to Make Sure You Aren't Paying One More Cent in Taxes Than The Law Requires" by John T. Reed
  7. "Creating Wealth Through Self-Storage" by Mark Helm
  8. "Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing"  by Doug Marshall
    "Commercial Mortgages 101: Everything You Need to Know to Create a Winning Loan Request Package" by Michael Rienhardt
  9. "How Real Estate Developers Think" by Peter Hendee Brown

YouTube

1. Cherif Medawar - Really focuses on Triple-Net investing (Primarily retail)
  2. Mark Helm - Focuses on self-storage facilities (Also has a great book which I mentioned above) 
  3. The Commercial Investor - Generalist. Mainly focuses on Commercial investing strategies and understanding the financials of commercial investing.

Podcasts:

1. Best Real Estate Advice Ever - Multifamily investing/Syndication
  2. Wheelbarrow Profits - Multifamily investing/Syndication
  3. BiggerPockets - Residential, Multifamily, Self-storage and Mobile home parks.

I'd love to find more resources that talk about investing in other commercial property types such as Retail, Industrial, Office, Hospitality, Special Purpose etc. Hope this helps.

All the best,

For other podcasts out there, I'd recommend these ones on the commercial side:

Multifamily

Old Capital Podcast and The Real Estate Guys

Development
Property Developer, Smart Growth Developer Spotlight, Leading Voices in Real Estate, and TBG Real Estate 

Self Storage
Atomic Storage/3-mile Domination and Self Storage Show

Eve,

I have 2 podcasts episodes on Bigger Pockets covering retail.

I would be open to doing a 3rd one that does a really deep dive into commercial retail properties. The first 2 didn't really scratch the surface.

I am writing a book on retail investing currently and starting a show on it soon.

There are a few books out there for reading but none that I have seen that go really deep and in detail on the subject.  

@Joel Owens

Thanks for the detailed reply. I found one of your podcasts, episode 40. I agree it is quite basic. BTW, I enjoy reading your posts in other threads. Look forward to your new in depth book and podcast.

Eve