• Yazoo County, MS
Votes |
I'm a rookie who found a property & overwhelmed by next steps

Pepper Bradford
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Yazoo County, MS
Posted Dec 14 2022, 05:47

To introduce myself, I've been on this educational journey for about 2 months now, from first reading of Rich Dad Poor Dad in October to joining BP last week. I feel like I'm trying to do it all at once: learning, practicing, researching, putting together deals. In my effort to analyze a "deal a day" I came across an apartment complex of which I'm familiar on the Mississippi Gulf Coast (the area on which I'd like to concentrate). Small multi family is what I'm interested in. I was originally thinking of house hacking a 4-plex, as that seemed the easiest (though it would require me to wait until I'm ready to move to the Gulf Coast). Also I didn't think that I should jump straight into commercial multi family as my first purchase. But then I found a 10 unit (all 2BR, 1BA) in an area that I visit a lot, and have actually seen before. I ran the numbers I could easily obtain through the Rental Property tool and the retuen looks too good to be true, which tells me I don't have the right numbers (or have missing numbers). My main concern is that the property has been on the market for almost a year, and the asking price has been reduced by a third in that time. 

The 2 things holding me back right now are the question of financing, and the fear of wasting people's time. Why go through the process of putting together a deal before I know where I will get financing? Isn't that just wasting everyone's time? Right now I have no money for a down payment, and no idea where to get it. Why would a realtor or broker or even the current owner bother to talk to me if I don't have any money? 

I do understand that right now I'm struggling under the weight of "I don't know what I don't know" mentality. And that I have to start somewhere. But I don't want to torpedo potential future relationships by wasting people's time. 

Any advice? 

Pepper...

Loading replies...