How would I go about converting these 5 garages that are attached to the property into 4 more units. The zoning on the property is 5-9 units. Would this be a sensible decision and around how much did it cost. If anyone has tried this. Thank You everyone
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
2y
There is a syndicator that specializes in doing exactly this (but the units are ADUs) in San Diego where they have crazy builder friendly ADU rules. So far the syndicator has done outstanding with this approach. I am unsure of the exact number that have gone to full cycle but believe it to be in the double digits.
As an LP, I only have limited visibility but tenants are a risk. AB1482 prevents a LL from substantially changing a lease even at lease end or if month to month. Taking away garages would be a substantial lease change. you likely will need to negotiate with the tenants and likely buy them out of their lease.
In some jurisdictions, but not in San Diego for ADUs, permitting could be an issue.
I suggest you look into whether ADUs can meet your goal as the state has mandated streamlining if permits for ADUs and typically the fees and regulations are less stringent than standard units.
I am not familiar with how much it would take to convert but have to imagine that the rent you can get from 4 units is significantly greater than 5 garages, and enough to warrant at least getting quotes. To start I would find a few good contractors with references and get quotes on the project. Then you can see how many rooms you can fit, bathrooms, etc, and start to figure out what you can rent them out for.
Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 544 posts · 251 votes
2y
@Nemesis Kraken - I had a client recently use Titanium Construction for an ADU conversion in Bakersfield. They had a great experience and might be able to help you.
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
2y
There is a syndicator that specializes in doing exactly this (but the units are ADUs) in San Diego where they have crazy builder friendly ADU rules. So far the syndicator has done outstanding with this approach. I am unsure of the exact number that have gone to full cycle but believe it to be in the double digits.
As an LP, I only have limited visibility but tenants are a risk. AB1482 prevents a LL from substantially changing a lease even at lease end or if month to month. Taking away garages would be a substantial lease change. you likely will need to negotiate with the tenants and likely buy them out of their lease.
In some jurisdictions, but not in San Diego for ADUs, permitting could be an issue.
I suggest you look into whether ADUs can meet your goal as the state has mandated streamlining if permits for ADUs and typically the fees and regulations are less stringent than standard units.
Architect · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 20 votes
2y
@Nemesis Kraken - You should find an Architect or a reputable designer who specializes in ADUs to help you with developing and submitting the required construction documents (plans) to the agency having jurisdiction in your area. A lot of work goes into the preparation of plans and paperwork that is required before you can even lift a shovel. I am an Architect myself so feel free to DM me if you'd like for me to take a deeper look at your property. I know you will be allowed to convert all of your garages into units but the real question is how many units can fit in the space while complying with building codes and municipal codes. I hope this points you in the right direction.