Hello I am new here and looking for advice. Couple of the syndication deals I had invested in passively and have been foreclosed on by the lender. I have lost 100% of the investment amount. I was wondering if there are any potential tax deductions we could take as a passive investor. Would they just be passive losses that can offset passive income or can we treat them to offset capital gains from other investments ?
Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 355 posts · 268 votes
2y
Sorry for the loss - I'm sure the wider community here will be wanting to know the identity of these syndicators. Best to talk the tax issue over with a CPA but the loss will be reflected in the K-1's and can offset gains in other deals, provided they both flow through to the same entity (or you personally).
Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 355 posts · 268 votes
2y
Sorry for the loss - I'm sure the wider community here will be wanting to know the identity of these syndicators. Best to talk the tax issue over with a CPA but the loss will be reflected in the K-1's and can offset gains in other deals, provided they both flow through to the same entity (or you personally).
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2y
@Mayur Gaitonde
Unfortunately in many of these situations you may actually owe taxes. The reason is the sponsoray have taken 100% depreciation or accelerated depreciation and they may have to be given back
This is the double whammy of these types of deals.
Unfortunately in many of these situations you may actually owe taxes. The reason is the sponsoray have taken 100% depreciation or accelerated depreciation and they may have to be given back
This is the double whammy of these types of deals.
I would speak to your accountant
@Chris Seveney that would be a double whammy indeed. The dark side of real estate syndication that nobody talks about
Unfortunately in many of these situations you may actually owe taxes. The reason is the sponsoray have taken 100% depreciation or accelerated depreciation and they may have to be given back
This is the double whammy of these types of deals.
I would speak to your accountant
@Chris Seveney that would be a double whammy indeed. The dark side of real estate syndication that nobody talks about
That and the sponsors not doing a capital call but raising a debt fund that will have an equity position in that deal so they can continue to collect fees but now investors are further down the capital stack and more likely they will lose even more money....
Unfortunately in many of these situations you may actually owe taxes. The reason is the sponsoray have taken 100% depreciation or accelerated depreciation and they may have to be given back
This is the double whammy of these types of deals.
I would speak to your accountant
@Chris Seveney that would be a double whammy indeed. The dark side of real estate syndication that nobody talks about
The investment would either need to have A) collected a significant amount of distributions (cashflow) or B) had a lower basis from one or more previous 1031-exchanges. A is unlikely given GVA's value add approach. B will likely depend on if this was your initial investment with GVA or from a prior investment that sold and 1031-exchanged.
The losses should be reported on the K-1's provided to you.
I understand that but my question was more around what types of income or profit can they be deducted against. I've heard some conflicting info here ranging from passive only to capital gains only to active income
Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
If depends on your level of participation with the partnership / LLC. Since you are discussing syndication, it is likely a passive investment to you.
Whether the loss is ordinary or capital will depend on the type of investment and the positions taken by the partnership and will be displayed on the K-1.
There are further things to consider such as whether the K-1 is fully disposed of or not.