Small Apartment ($1M~$1.5M), Seller's market?

Small Apartment ($1M~$1.5M), Seller's market?

Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes

Hello BP Advanced Users,  I am new to this world. I have several single rental homes and I am trying to purchase a small apt in the range of $1m~1.5m.  Brokers tell me that it is currently a seller's market with the Apt price recovered to the previous highs.  Originally I thought it was a good idea to purchase Apt now as the interest rate is low, however with the current high price of Apt, does it make sense to buy now?  Your experienced comments are greatly appreciated for this newbie.  Looking at State of WA market.

2Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Casey Rolland sure, I mean that you'll want to find the right market that cash flows and isn't in a cycle of hyper-supply. A good report to look at is the IRR Mid-Year Viewpoint - http://www.irr.com/. 

Additionally, if your strategy is a value-add play, then you'll want to purchase the property at the right price based on current value and there should be some value that you can do to increase the value of the property (i.e. improve units, decrease water bill, etc.). If your strategy is to buy a stabilized property then you will need to make sure the property is truly stabilized during due diligence and be ok with the cash flow. 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Casey Rolland 

    To find out about an area go to IREM.org search for ARM certified property managers. Call 5 ask them what sides of the city they like/dislike and why. Ask what they see them selling for and what expenses are by category. Ask for market occupancy and rents. Ask if they know anything coming up for sale.

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    "I have several single rental homes and I am trying to purchase a small apt in the range of $1m~1.5m."

    Hi Casey,

    Reread your phrased statement. Your thought echo's a lot of other buyers. You have SFR but that market is overheated so now you understand tenants and paying rent so the natural progression is small balance apartment complexes. So in that entry level size there is not much product but a ton of buyers.

    Most complexes are not built that small and the ones constructed today tend to be hundreds of units in size.

    So without knowing your market in depth I would say there is some validity to what they are saying. I transact all over the country for clients. Larger apartment complexes have been contracting for about the last 12 to 18 months nationally with caps.

    Most of my clients are buying multi unit retail for caps in the 8's that throw off COC around 15% annually off of putting 25% down.

    What options are available to you will depend on liquidity and net worth. You might be able to afford more or less than you think.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Casey Rolland 

    welcome to the site.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Casey Rolland sure it makes sense to buy now - you'll just want to be strategic on the market and how you purchase the apt building/s. 

  • Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    Thank you Paul, I will try that

  • Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    Thank you Joel, that explains a lot...

    Researching BP & books, experienced investors recommend beginners to stick to housing, not retail as retail is inherently riskier. I figured beginners usually started at Single Family to Multi-Family, and then to Retail once you had enough capital.  My husband and I have decent jobs and we don't need C/F from the Apt but we don't make so much that we can support vacancy of a retail b/d.  Can you please provide comparison btwn $1.5M Apt vs. Retail b/d? Benefits vs. Risks, etc?  Thank you.

  • Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    @Casey Rolland 

    welcome to the site.

    Thank you James.

  • Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Fairless:

    @Casey Rolland sure it makes sense to buy now - you'll just want to be strategic on the market and how you purchase the apt building/s. 

    Hello Joe, Can you please provide details?  Someone more experienced told me once in passing that whether you buy at High Price/Low Int rate/full occupancy or Low Price/so so int rate/low occupancy, it's really the same thing.  I thought I understood what that experienced investor said at the time I heard it, but now I am not so sure.  I suspect that's what you are talking about above.  I would greatly appreciate more details.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    "My husband and I have decent jobs and we don't need C/F from the Apt but we don't make so much that we can support vacancy of a retail b/d."

    Multi-tenant retail can be safe if you buy right. If you have 10 units and 4 go dark you have enough generally to pay the mortgage still for breakeven occupancy putting 25% down.

    Some people say retail is riskier but it's simply they do not understand enough about it to buy correctly.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Casey Rolland sure, I mean that you'll want to find the right market that cash flows and isn't in a cycle of hyper-supply. A good report to look at is the IRR Mid-Year Viewpoint - http://www.irr.com/. 

    Additionally, if your strategy is a value-add play, then you'll want to purchase the property at the right price based on current value and there should be some value that you can do to increase the value of the property (i.e. improve units, decrease water bill, etc.). If your strategy is to buy a stabilized property then you will need to make sure the property is truly stabilized during due diligence and be ok with the cash flow. 

  • Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Thank you @Joe Fairless for the tip on irr.com for Local Market Reports!   For others looking for the direct link, here's the page where you can search by local and property type.  I've bookmarked this as another great info resource.    Thanks again Joe.

    http://www.irr.com/Publication/MarketSnapshot.asp?...

  • Real Estate Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 121 posts · 47 votes
    11y

    Two other great resources if you're looking at apartment buildings (commercial) are:

    The urban land institute report:  http://uli.org/emerging-trends/emerging-trends-rea...

    and

    The Dividend Capital Research Cycle Report - you need to search that in google and you will see a pdf file you can download.  If you have a problem, PM me.

  • Specialist · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 626 posts · 700 votes
    11y
    Casey Rolland The answer depends on your investment goal. If you are trading out of SFR into MF for the sake of riding an appreciation wave, then the advice given by Paul Timmins is spot on. However, if you are buying for a long term income, then as long as you meet your CAP objective, an acquisition in today's market should be fine. With that said, it is always prudent to evaluate the market to determine your exit strategy, should that become necessary. Shine on, Jack
  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2010 · 308 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    Great info everyone. @Louis Leone I used to follow Dividend Capital's Cycle Monitor every quarter until I noticed that their placement of Seattle's apartment market had no relation to what was actually happening in that market (my main local market). See here for more: 

    Apartment Building Investment Cycle Analysis via Dividend Capital. Can this be right?

    I'll be doing a post later this week on the Seattle apartment market's magical trip through Div Cap's market cycle in the last two years. Since they mostly invest in industrial properties hopefully they're more up to speed with that sector.

    That said Glenn Mueller's work on how real estate market cycles operate which he explains in every Cycle Monitor is some of the best free real estate education you can get... Although I'm not 100% on board with his contention that markets can back up in the cycle, that goes against the very definition of a cycle.

  • Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    Thanks Joe, Patricia, Louis, Jack, and Giovanni for additional research info. I will study these links.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

    I am a net seller of apartments right now.  In my location the prices are ahead of fundamentals.  Buyers are paying proforma prices.  Even "fixers" are selling at high prices on a cost per unit basis. 

    I am currently trading into retail that still seems to have some upside.

  • Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Steve Olafson 

    Yes that's what I hearing as well. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.