Thieves....How to stop them!

Thieves....How to stop them!

OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes

I just put in a new washer and dryer a few months ago for a 12 unit buidling and things were going great. Tenants were happy with the new machines & I was generating a little more laundry income!

Unfortunately, I just found out that someone has been stealing from my machines. They must have a key to the change compartments and are removing all the change. The machines don't show any evidence of tampering. My PM gave the keys to the older gentleman who lives right next to the laundry room and he will be collecting the change throughout the day, no set times. That solves the problem temporarily as he's always home and is now on the watch for suspicious activity. 

I don't like to rely in individual for things like this so it's my obligation to devise some sort of lock mechanism that covers the key hole of the change compartments. A separate lock mechanism that only I have access to (my PM). 

As you see below, the change compartment is located on the bottom of the whole coin mechanism. It is recessed in the mechanism. To remove the change, you simply insert the appropriate key, turn and pull out. I am thinking I need to "cover" that area with some locked metal but I am unsure as what to devise...

Any suggestions anyone? Has anyone gone through this? 

The picture of the older machine isn't mine however it is setup the exact same way as mine. How can I deter the thieves who have a key to my change compartment?

Thanks all!

2Reply
373 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Nik S.This is petty robbery so who ever is doing this is not going to spend much time trying to get your money.  I would suggest just bolting or welding a hasp across the front of the key area and locking that with a pad lock.  With the hasp across the front they won't be able to get their key into the lock. This will deter them and hopefully they will just move on to easier pickings.  When you need to get in, just unlock the hasp, hing it open so you can insert your key and get your money.  Think of it as a chastity belt for your coin box.

A camera is great if you have the time to react. But unless you actually can tell who the person is in the video the cops will not do anything about this crime.

Good luck and let us know what works for you!

-Arlen

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    11y

    @Nik S. 

    I'll have to get my model #'s & measurements off them next time I'm at the apartment or have my manager text it to me. This is a professional looking, effective solution.  I like it!

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    I love it as well!! Let me know how yours works out! I'm ordering tomorrow! Thanks @David Veeder 

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    11y

    David Veeder's idea Is the same concept I was thinking. Being a Millwright I tend to look first at how I can do it myself but buying that kit will probably look a little cleaner :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Somerset, KY · Member since 2011 · 211 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    As it appears in the picture you could probably drill a hole in the metal side panels in front of the key lock and install a boat trailer hitch lock (long straight shaft lock kind) across the front of the keyed box. This should be more effective and inexpensive. I am not sure if it would block your washer lid from raising but you may be able to drill a couple holes only on the right hand side and install a regular master lock.

    Hope this helps.

  • Real Estate Investor · Somerset, KY · Member since 2011 · 211 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    After my reply I seen the one David posted. This looks like a nice solution as well, pretty much what I had in mind too. With the straight bar boat hitch kind they wouldn't be able to pull it out anyway but I am sure either is a solution.

    Best of luck :)

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    @Jared K. we had the same idea. I got a bolt basically, thick one. It WAS gunna take an hour to drill a hole in it for the lock :-)

    I'll post pics once the security covers arrive! It appears to me an easy & amazing solution. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Somerset, KY · Member since 2011 · 211 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    @Nik S. Yes it does and has a nice appearance as well. I just figured the boat hitch lock would cost less. It shouldn't take an hour to drill your holes if you use the right bit, especially a new one. I was a factory maintenance tech for almost 9yrs so couldnt help commenting on it.

    What do the covers cost you ordered?

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    @Jared K. haven't ordered yet, waiting to get the coin box measurement. However it will cost $53. $15 is the shipping!!!

    My previous method was almost the same BC the locks are expensive. Goal was to put a bolt through the front (drill 2 holes just in front of the coin box), drill another hole through the end of the bolt and fit a lock to secure the sliding bolt. The washer is a front loader but I believe the bolt will NOT interfere with the kid opening. If it was I planned to shave it down a bit, if needed. 

    Considering I am ordering the security plate, it will be much easier and I believe more effective. 

  • Property Manager · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    We also have cameras etc.   The padlock will be cut fairly easily.   In our market they were using a jaws of life like tool that can tear through the entire side of the machine coin box.   

    We have a few credit/cash stations, but these are thieves favorites to hit since it is like an atm.    Always have a camera and alarm attched to the machine.   

    Another option I have used on some properties takes credit cards right on the machine.   It also lets residents track when machines are open or their laundry is done.    

    Overall laundry is a great income source in multi family.   The newer machines also are easy to change rates charged and offer an alternative super cycle for a higher rate.    I like buildings that are not next to a laundry mat, but if you are, just price your laundry a little lower and you'll get the business, especially with nice machines.    

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    ***UPDATE***

    Check this out....So I live about an hour away from the buildings and I needed a measurement. I called a few tenants to see if they had a tape measure and only 1 did, however that particular person (a boyfriend of the tenant) wasn't home. Shortly after I got a call back from the girlfriend (tenant) and she was freaking out.....telling me she knows that her boyfriend and another tenant hang out in the laundry room blah blah blah. He's the one I suspected anyhow but I wasn't exactly sure.

    Today I called the tenant who I have emptying out the coin box daily & he told me he had "insider" information. Someone told him that they witnessed the person stealing the money! Word gets around fast.

    The witness happens to be a tenant whom I have a decent relationship with. He basically ratted out the person who did it! Even though he saw it, he just didn't fail to mention it to me. He's friends with the "thief". Keep in mind, the people at the property know me as a manager and NOT the owner. I do this for a variety of reasons. Regardless, I have good relations with almost ALL my tenants so maybe they are justifying their actions as the owner is a "wealthy" who pays people to manage his apartments. Which is clearly NOT the case :-)

    Funny part to this is, my maintenance guy keeps calling him to get the measurement of the coin box as he promised however he keeps saying he will but won't actually do it. He's nervous and now avoiding us. He isn't actually a tenant but an occupant of a primary lessee.

    SO....I have a witness claiming he saw it the guy do it. I am not interested in pursing this legally obviously but how to handle it.

    Regardless, I am putting up a camera & installing the metal lock plate to both washer / dryer.

    Do I have a face to face with the guy questioning him so he officially knows, I know..... OR let it be and continue on without saying anything and let his mind do the analyzing.

    This thread has a good twist to the end!!!

    Suggestions?

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    This works 

    http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/index.html?r=y

    Or do what I do.  Challenge that person face to face and let them know their days are numbered.

    Or... Inform all the tenats that the laundry will be removed due to theft in 30 days.  If it stops then it will be maintained.  People are lazy, they don't want to drag their clothes to a laundromat.  They will rat the person out.  

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    @Bryan N. 

    They already ratted the guy out! I know who took the money! I'm going to confront him and ask him if he wants to give me my money back or he can vacate the property. He isn't on any lease, he's a boyfriend of a tenant. 

    This isn't my first rodeo.. Let's see if he plays nice.

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    Here's my preventative setup....!

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    @David Veeder thanks for a GREAT find!!! I'm liking it! 

    @Curtis Bidwell it was very easy to install & appears it's going to be effective!! 

    Also I took the keys and I'll go once a month and empty them out myself! Cut out any potential discrepancies! 

  • Contractor · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 164 votes
    11y

    I like it!  How much did it end up costing you? (If you don't mind me asking.)

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    @James Stevens $19 per coin box plate. With shipping & 2 coin box guards, $53.

    I just had to drill 1 hold in each coin box! I think it's a solid deterent! We'll see!

  • Contractor · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 164 votes
    11y

    That's great.  I hope it works out for you.

  • Kelowna, BC · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    I'm a couple years late to this thread, but curious how your situation worked out in the last couple years?  Any theft issues?

    More importantly, after you started picking up the cash yourself did your revenue go up?

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Nik S.

    I just put up trail cameras, also known as game cams.

    They have infrared and are motion activated. Batteries should last a while in warm weather.

    We will see!!

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    The classic glitter bomb could be fun!...other entertaining traps...but in all seriousness perhaps a basic camera set up in the room would solve it? or at least be enough to deter them.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.