Strongest Long-Term Tenant Proof Flooring - WA State

Strongest Long-Term Tenant Proof Flooring - WA State

Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes

I ran a search around the forms and didn't seem to be able to find a forum on the strong long-term tenant proof flooring. I am looking to update some units built in the 90's in Washington State and sick of carpet. In the end, the most important thing to me is how long it will last. I don't really intend to ever sell these units, so if I spend a little more now, that's fine. I won't be installing myself either - I will hire it out. I would prefer something indestructible (if that exists?). I have never installed any sort of non-carpet flooring other than vinyl for a cheap fix to make current tenants happy or to get renters in fast. I'd really prefer to install the entire house with the same thing (all three bedrooms and bathrooms, kitchen, etc) but maybe that's not the best. From what i read it seems like Allure Ultra or Armstrong may be a good bet. Any thoughts on how I or anyone else reading this should proceed with flooring? Greatly appreciate any feedback! 

0Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Edmond, OK · Member since 2012 · 456 posts · 270 votes
11y

If the house is on a concrete slab (as in Oklahoma/Texas), I would not install anything for flooring, and instead look into getting the concrete floor stained/epoxy coated.

My next option is porcelain tile using a modern rectangular tile instead of square. Lowes/Home Depot run special pricing on floor tile, $2/sft.

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Edmond, OK · Member since 2012 · 456 posts · 270 votes
    11y

    If the house is on a concrete slab (as in Oklahoma/Texas), I would not install anything for flooring, and instead look into getting the concrete floor stained/epoxy coated.

    My next option is porcelain tile using a modern rectangular tile instead of square. Lowes/Home Depot run special pricing on floor tile, $2/sft.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    11y

    I put laminate in all my rentals and also in my personal home.  It costs less than click-together vinyl and lasts a lot longer than carpet.  It's also very easy to install.  Lumber liquidators sometimes has it on sale for 0.29/sqft.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    I have heard good things about the Allure Ultra vinyl tile planks. I think @Brandon Turner likes them, too.  Maybe if he has a sec?  I would like to know as well!  I don't have the humidity here in central WA but would love to know how it holds up to moisture.  Bullet- proofing our rentals best we can pays off huge in the long run for sure.  Thanks for asking this @Zach Schwarzmiller!  

  • Real Estate Agent · Owasso, OK · Member since 2014 · 517 posts · 400 votes
    11y

    I prefer carpet.  Easy in, easy out.  I have mid to lower income units but screen well.  Carept generally lasts 3 tenants, depending on how long each stays.  I can carpet a typical house for $600-$1000 and the new carpet look and smell goes great with the paint when I have to re-list rentals.  Seeing how most tenants treat things, outside of stained concrete, not sure you are going to find anything that you are going to be happy to look at after 5 years or so of wear and tear.  Few things are as cheap or quick to install as builder grade carpet.

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    My units are all plywood flooring with crawl space below. These are townhouse style and usually rent for $1,600 + tenants paying utilities, so the nicer they look the better I suppose. Usually families with children who run around all the time.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Tile in the kitchen and bathrooms (with proper subfloor or it will crack- 3/4 inch plywood w/ hardi backer on top). Hardwood everywhere else. I prefer oak for its durability. Every few years it will benefit from a light sanding and recoat of polyurethane. Extend that by requiring tenants to have area rugs in your lease. They will appreciate the look. It's more classy, easy to clean, and hypo allergenic. Always hold onto an extra box of tile and a few extra pieces of flooring.
  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 123 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    I'm looking into purchasing (and rehabbing) a duplex in Bremerton, WA, so this question is pertinent to me, too.  

    I like Jai's suggestion of tile.  That is especially valuable in the wet Pacific Northwest, where carpet would get worn down very quickly if tenants are not in the habit of taking off shoes when entering home (which we should assume as landlords).  

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    11y

    Laminate has lasted longer than tile or hardwood in my rentals at a much lower cost than even carpet.  The cost of refinishing hardwood can be pretty high if you don't rent/own the sanding equipment and do it yourself.  With hardwood, I will typically opt to just put laminate on top of the hardwood or paint the hardwood grey, black or brown using a glossy oil-based paint and a paint roller.  The gallon of grey utility paint at Lowes costs 10 dollars less than the Rustoleum brand stuff.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    11y

    I just had a dishwasher leak on laminate and am having to replace the entire kitchen floor. Water penetrated it and soaked in. Bowed the floor up really bad. I prefer hardwood, ceramic tile, vinyl plank, sheet vinyl then carpet in that order.

    I generally don't install hardwood new because of the cost but I look for properties that already have it.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Yeah, I'm a big fan of those Allure Ultra vinyl tile planks, as Steve said. They seem to hold up well. I still use a lot of carpet but I really like that stuff. 

  • Investor · Chula Vista, CA · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    I vote for the Vinyl Tile Planks that look like wood. I redid my SFR throughout--1800sqft. Kitchen, bath, living room, everything has it. I put it in after the tenant stole the wall to wall carpet. I think it looks and feels better than laminate, has a 25 year warrantee and is virtually indestructible and you don't have the same concerns over the water issues laminate and wood floors have. I highly recommend looking at it as an option. Like you I plan on holding on to this property indefinitely and was tired of the carpet issue. I plan on putting into my other SFR when the carpets are due for replacement.

    Good Luck!

    Jamie

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Zach

    If I read this right you said you are not interested in selling?  So renting is really what it's about.  If you have more than one floor and tenants live above tenants the sound insulation of carpet may result in a more peaceful tenancy.  

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    Thank you everyone.

    @Mike Moran - they are townhouse style units so the tenants are wall to wall, upstairs is livings downstairs is common living dining kitchen garage etc. all 6 units carpet now but eventually want to change them all!

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    It's great to read through all this. I really appreciate everyone's input. I am thinking for this unit I will try out the Allure Ultra - Thanks!

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    @Brandon Turner - have you ever had to replace one section? Is it easy to pull one up and put a new one down in the future if needed?

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    I've done a little bit of that. It's pretty easy if it's near the edge, but in the middle - it'll be a pain. But we just used a heat gun to soften the glue, pulled it up, and put a new one down. 

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Zach Schwarzmiller:

    @Brandon Turner - have you ever had to replace one section? Is it easy to pull one up and put a new one down in the future if needed?

     Zach:  there are two Allure vinyl plank products.  The Ultra does not have adhesive, like Brandon is talking about, but is a click and lock floating floor.  The regular, lower cost Allure is a floating floor with adhesive strips.  At your rental price, I'd consider going with the click and lock.  Better looking and thicker.

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    Thank You, All! I've bought all my flooring and currently have it acclimating. Wasn't looking forward to heating the large empty room for three days straight, dang. Anyways, I hired a handy-man to install it all who claims he has installed it in multiple units before and said the gentleman he usually installs it for puts down moisture barrier - does anyone else do this? Looking forward to finally getting this stuff installed. 

  • Garberville, CA · Member since 2011 · 184 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Yes, I used cork as it's "green" and that is a selling point here. Most underlayments are less expensive but cork gives a buffer if all is not perfectly level and it has good soundproofing qualities. Others have the same qualities but are cheaper. Amazon has some good deals. And yes, they are a good idea, especially on the first floor.

  • Investor · Saraland, AL · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    We used Allure with an underlayment and it feels nice to walk on. It's in a rental house on a slab so we were most interested in using it for a moisture barrier.

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    What do you guys do or stairs with the Allure Ultra? I assume not put it down, but I am looking for an affordable, heavy duty solution to 13 of my stairs. The allure is down and looking awesome.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Zach Schwarzmiller:

    What do you guys do or stairs with the Allure Ultra? I assume not put it down, but I am looking for an affordable, heavy duty solution to 13 of my stairs. The allure is down and looking awesome.

     Zach:  which product did you decide to go with?  The regular adhesive strip Allure or the click and lock Allure Ultra? 

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    @k. 

    @Account Closed allure ultra click and lock!

  • Semmes, AL · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    I run a housing authority with 100 homes. When originally built in 2009 the subfloor was made of OSB (UGH) and the tile in the kitchen and bathroom was glued directly to the subfloor. Carpet was installed in the rest of the home. People were literally falling through their floors.

    We ripped out the carpet and replaced it with laminate wood. We get whatever Lumber Liquidators has on sale for .39 or .49 per sq ft. We've been using it for over a year now and it has held up phenomenally well.

    As for the kitchens and bathrooms (though not on topic) we are replacing the subfloor with plywood and placing full sheet vinyl in the kitchen and bathrooms. Too soon to see how durable it will be.

  • Semmes, AL · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Zach, for a floating floor with a crawlspace I would definitely recommend a moisture barrier. It's check and will save loads of trouble in the future.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.