Strongest Long-Term Tenant Proof Flooring - WA State

Strongest Long-Term Tenant Proof Flooring - WA State

Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes

I ran a search around the forms and didn't seem to be able to find a forum on the strong long-term tenant proof flooring. I am looking to update some units built in the 90's in Washington State and sick of carpet. In the end, the most important thing to me is how long it will last. I don't really intend to ever sell these units, so if I spend a little more now, that's fine. I won't be installing myself either - I will hire it out. I would prefer something indestructible (if that exists?). I have never installed any sort of non-carpet flooring other than vinyl for a cheap fix to make current tenants happy or to get renters in fast. I'd really prefer to install the entire house with the same thing (all three bedrooms and bathrooms, kitchen, etc) but maybe that's not the best. From what i read it seems like Allure Ultra or Armstrong may be a good bet. Any thoughts on how I or anyone else reading this should proceed with flooring? Greatly appreciate any feedback! 

0Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Edmond, OK · Member since 2012 · 456 posts · 270 votes
11y

If the house is on a concrete slab (as in Oklahoma/Texas), I would not install anything for flooring, and instead look into getting the concrete floor stained/epoxy coated.

My next option is porcelain tile using a modern rectangular tile instead of square. Lowes/Home Depot run special pricing on floor tile, $2/sft.

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Zach Schwarzmiller:

    @Account Closed

     - Check out the doors: http://1drv.ms/1P6XF2e - painting them a darker blue made them look fantastic. I ordered nice lettering, that's on it's way as well. Thanks for the suggestion, really a simple, cheap, AWESOME fix!!

    Doors look great! Love your color choice.  

    For Phase 2, consider painting the concrete on the entry floor and step a dark gray with concrete paint. Separates it from the walk way and really freshens the entry.  :)

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    @A Schweda & @Roy N.

    Excellent! I don't live in a harsh winter state and really want to refinish the concrete on another building I am closing on @ the end of the month. Looking forward to that for the next venture!

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    11y

    The most durable, long term floor is tile.  Absolutely.  No question.  Porcelain.  Gunstock wood planks if you want it always in style. #1 color of wood flooring.  Use Fusion grout.  No stains, no sealing. 

  • Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    We are transitioning from porcelain tile to finished concrete.  We've done one property with grinding, water based stain and seal.  We've done another with grinding and just seal with an epoxy border.

    So far, they have been instant rentals.

    Next we will try the polished concrete.  More expensive but will give it a go as we narrow in on the most cost-effective.

  • John KollhoffPro Member
    Investor · Abilene, KS · Member since 2010 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    I'm updating a commercial space with vinyl plank from Shaw that sounds similar to what you are using. 6" wide planks, lots of color options. 5 year commercial warranty, 15 year residential I think - didn't ask specifically, but I believe that is what he mentioned. Price is around $3.50/sf installed. This uses a spread adhesive method. This becomes tacky when it dries. If we need to replace a plank, we pull the damaged one up, and place the new one on the same adhesive.

    There are different grades of this as well, based on the protective coating on the surface.

    I'm using a medium color that looks like a rough sawn pine, the light oak didn't pass with my designer, and the darker color showed every footprint! 

    We have this in another commercial space, and it has performed very well.

    I will use it in our rentals when appropriate.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    My two cents worth, laminate flooring in social area and bedrooms, and porcelanatto/tile flooring in bathroom, kitchen

  • Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    I'm a fan of faux wood vinyl planks. Like to install them in all the common areas , combo with carpet in the bedrooms. Very durable and good for long term. The beauty is this, when tenants move out you can simply replace just the damaged planks instead of an entire room. Your carpet replacement costs will be cut down as well. With carpet just being in the bedrooms I've found that I may only have to replace a single bedroom in some cases. Hope this helps.
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jason Bourgeois:
    I'm a fan of faux wood vinyl planks. Like to install them in all the common areas , combo with carpet in the bedrooms. Very durable and good for long term. The beauty is this, when tenants move out you can simply replace just the damaged planks instead of an entire room. Your carpet replacement costs will be cut down as well. With carpet just being in the bedrooms I've found that I may only have to replace a single bedroom in some cases. Hope this helps.

     Why not go one step further and rid yourself of the carpet in the bedrooms in favour of laminate or vinyl planks?  If the tenants are worried about cold feet, they can get an area rug.

    Carpet is little more than a lint brush attached to your floor. ;-)

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tom Lafferty:

    we use glue down vinyl planks.  I wanted to go the allure route, but too many people told me the seams were coming apart after a while (haven't considered the ultra, as it is just too expensive).  The allure ultra is much thicker than what we use so it will look a lot nicer.  But we're paying $1.60/ft installed, and it looks ok considering the property.  If a single plank or area gets damaged, just peel up and glue in new one(s).  Suitable for wet areas too...

    Do you mind sharing the product and store? I am looking at glue down LVP as well and it's $2.90/ft installed (excluding floor prep, molding, moving appliances and toilets, etc.). If I could find $1.60/ft, I'd do all my units in it. My apartments rent for $575/mth; so, at $2.90/ft plus all those extras, it's close to 3x carpet price and getting hard to justify.

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    10y

    I had done Allure in three units (ultra), I wouldn't do it again. 

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 156 votes
    10y

    @Mike Dymski I'm not purchasing it directly, it's through a couple of vendors who are also installing it.  A lot of the property management companies here are importing it directly from China.  I'm not sure what it's called, as they even have their own packaging.  $1.60/ft installed is what we've paid from 2 or 3 different contractors.  Just make sure you ask about the wear layer, as it can vary greatly.  This is a very thin product; not nearly as thick as allure, but works well if the surface is prepped correctly.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Sounds like I need to find the installation contractors rather than speaking with flooring companies. Maybe I'll call some property managers and see if they will share who they are using.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tom Lafferty:

    @Mike Dymski I'm not purchasing it directly, it's through a couple of vendors who are also installing it.  A lot of the property management companies here are importing it directly from China.  I'm not sure what it's called, as they even have their own packaging.  $1.60/ft installed is what we've paid from 2 or 3 different contractors.  Just make sure you ask about the wear layer, as it can vary greatly.  This is a very thin product; not nearly as thick as allure, but works well if the surface is prepped correctly.

    I'm getting closer, found $1.95/ft installed. I called a bunch of apartment complexes today and they all use one of two flooring companies in the area and their prices are significantly more affordable than the flooring companies I have been speaking with. Incidentially, ALL of those apartment complexes are using wood-look sheet vinyl rather than the LVP and they love it...said the tenants love it and it holds up and repairs well.

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 156 votes
    10y

    Hmmm, good to know.  That's been the big debate the last few years; sheet vs plank.  Most of the operators I've asked prefer the plank due to longer wear and MUCH easier/better repairs.  One company told me the sheet stuff has gotten better, and that they supposedly could repair the tears that WILL happen.  Then they admitted that it never really looks right.  If someone can repair it though, the same companies doing planks for $1.60 will do sheet for .99/ft installed

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Just an FYI for everyone using lumber liquidators. They have a class action lawsuit for elevated formaldehyde levels. There was a 60 minutes special or something and a list online of affect lines.
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tom Lafferty:

    Hmmm, good to know.  That's been the big debate the last few years; sheet vs plank.  Most of the operators I've asked prefer the plank due to longer wear and MUCH easier/better repairs.  One company told me the sheet stuff has gotten better, and that they supposedly could repair the tears that WILL happen.  Then they admitted that it never really looks right.  If someone can repair it though, the same companies doing planks for $1.60 will do sheet for .99/ft installed

    I went with 10 year vinyl sheet in the living room and 18 oz nylon carpet upstairs. Looks great. We will see how it holds up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.