Rental Property Investor · Boston · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 21 votes
In my 9 unit complex, I recently rehabbed a unit with new carpets and then filled it with a new tenant. A month later, they're asking if they can get a cat. It strictly states in their lease that no pets are allowed however I allowed their neighbor (who I inherited at purchase) to have one without having to pay a monthly fee because the unit hasnt been updated yet and it doesnt have carpet. Should I stick to the lease and not allow it and deal with the "but my neighbor is allowed to" argument or allow it and just charge a monthly pet fee? I can use the new carpet as justification for the fee when they ask why the other tenant isnt paying a fee?
A landlord is entitled to change or modify any lease when renewing provided it does not violate state landlord tenant regulations. Your M2M tenant is renewed every month and therefor, with proper notice, you can make any lease changes you wish.
Another advantage to having all tenants on M2M. A landlord can modify all their tenants leases to effect a entire building in a short time frame.
Investor · Zürich, Zürich · Member since 2016 · 292 posts · 115 votes
9y
This could become a real problem. I would consult a lawyer to inform you about possibilities in your state. IF it is allowed to do this without causing legal issues, I believe you would have enough arguments to charge that fee. As to whether you want to deviate from your lease to begin with, well, that's a totally different story. I certainly wouldn't. Not with pets.
Investor · Warwick, RI · Member since 2013 · 220 posts · 119 votes
9y
@Chad Duval as long as the other tenant is inherited you should be in the clear. You can simply state that the previous owner did allow pets however your rental policy is that you DO NOT allow pets.
Also, my question to the tenant would be 'What changed since you moved in?' They could have inquired about the pet policy during the application process.
At the end of the day I am a pro-pet Landlord and Manager. I think you will keep your tenants longer term, have a higher quality of tenant and make more money!
Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
@Chad Duval yes you can have a no pet policy. Of course you would need to explain that the tenant was there before...... etc
I too like to take pets, 67% of renters now have pets, and I don't want to lose out on that huge part of the rental pool. I also try to not put on carpet; I like tile and wood for floor products with regard to rentals
Rental Property Investor · Boston · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 21 votes
9y
@Jimmy Murray - Here's the "kicker." When I bought the building I made the inherited tenant sign one of our month-to-month leases, which still states that pets are not allowed. I was the new owner, in the dead of winter and didn't want a vacancy so I made an exception. In retrospect, it was a bad idea.
Do you think I enact a new pet policy for the building, charging all tenants $25 per month for their cats as long as they sign a pet addendum? The new tenant shouldn't be an issue if they sign the addendum, but I'm curious if I can make the month-to-month tenant pay the $25 per month and sign the addendum as well?
Rental Property Investor · Boston · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 21 votes
9y
@Andy D. - I agree with your comment about wavering from my lease, but this is a C class building and I know it's inevitable that tenants will "sneak in" cats. I'm thinking about at least making money with it now...
A landlord is entitled to change or modify any lease when renewing provided it does not violate state landlord tenant regulations. Your M2M tenant is renewed every month and therefor, with proper notice, you can make any lease changes you wish.
Another advantage to having all tenants on M2M. A landlord can modify all their tenants leases to effect a entire building in a short time frame.
Investor · Zürich, Zürich · Member since 2016 · 292 posts · 115 votes
9y
@Chad Duval As @Thomas S. said, your contracts are of limited term and therefore can be changed very easily (i.e. basically every month) as long as you notify the tenant of the change as per timeframe described in the lease (and/or local laws, whichever applies).
As regards your statement of "making money" on those pets: while I get the idea, you probably won't make any due to the additional wear and tear, if not even damages caused by the animals (as a broad and general statement; I personally know no cat that would ever pee on the carpet unless their owners are reckless idiots and don't properly provide for them). A pet fee won't make you money. It will slightly insure you against additional costs caused by pets.
A general comment: the way you ask and state things I would recommend to consult a lawyer to analyze your needs and wants in relation to local laws and have him set you up with proper leases. I feel like you might run into a few issues down the road otherwise.
Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
@Chad Duval I would tell them no. You do not not allow pets. I am currently replacing a tenant where I made an exception and allowed 2 dogs. The other tenants have asked about having more than 1 animal "because they do" and I tell them, "No. I have a 1 animal policy. I made an exception once and learned my lesson." They may not be happy with the answer, but they understand.
Investor · Warwick, RI · Member since 2013 · 220 posts · 119 votes
9y
@Chad Duval In all honesty, based on the area in MA you may be able to charge $50 per month additional for a pet.
Typically what we do is make the tenant verify the animal is up to date with a letter from their vet, verify that the tenant has renters insurance with the pet named as an insured and also have them register the animal with the town/city the property is in. If someone is willing to go through all of that, it is a good sign that they will typically take great care of their pet and great care of the unit.
Rental Property Investor · Boston · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 21 votes
9y
@Andy D., @Jimmy Murray, @Bryan O. What I did was, I sent out a letter to all residents stating that we've changed our pet policy. I'm going to do a lot of what you guys suggested and anyone who is on a month-to-month lease, they'll have to begin paying the pet fee and anyone who wants to get a pet while locked into a lease, they'll have to sign our pet addendum and begin paying the fee as well. I've limited the pets to only neutered cats (with proof from vet) and only one per unit. I think this is fair and helps cover some of the costs associated with the pets, while hopefully retaining tenants longer.
Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
9y
Bryan Otteson When you say learned your lesson, what do you mean by that? 1 dog vs 2 dogs, I think it depends on the dogs personalities for what kind of results you get. 1 bad dog is worse than 2 well behaved dogs.
Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
@Kyle Doney in this case, the property is a 3-unit building with a shared fenced yard. Allowing the 3rd tenant to have 2 dogs means they now generate 1/2 of the poo, but they did not feel like it should be their responsibility to pick it up 1/2 of the time. Now there are problems with the other tenants, but how do you prove whose dog is "at fault" for all the extra? "I cleaned it up." "No they didn't." Blah, blah, blah. Additionally, the extra dog is more wear on the yard which is quickly turning to dirt rather than grass.
In this scenario, I learned my lesson. Were this a SFR it would make less of a difference since they are the only ones responsible.