Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 73 votes
Hi all BP,
I own a small apartment building in Cincinnati, OH, and currently with my 2nd management company. While to be candid, I do feel like they are doing many things right, I also feel like they are mishandling other very critical things.
Does anyone here have a really great property manager or management company to recommend?
To be honest, I'm pretty desperate at this point, been losing money for the 2nd year straight and just exhausted from this.
ps, don't contact me about selling to you. I really don't appreciate these messages
Property Manager · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 55 votes
1y
Hello Guy (and anyone else finding this thread later), I feel your pain, nothing is more frustrating than watching your building lose money because the management team isn’t executing on the basics. Unfortunately, you’re not alone, we sadly hear this a lot when owners come to us after trying 1–2 other PM companies. Hands down, the #1 complaint we hear 99% of the time when we bring on new clients who come from a bad PM experience, is communication. They always tell us that their current PM will not pickup the phone, reply to their emails, texts, etc. I've heard stories from new clients we bring on that they sometimes are ghosted 2+ weeks from their PM! Blows my mind and unfortunately companies like that sour the industry.
I run True Home Ohio Property Management here in Cincinnati. We manage 400+ units across the city (including many small apartment buildings) and most of our clients are out-of-state investors. A few things that usually make the difference for owners in your situation:
Vacancy Control: We track Days on Market for every unit and aggressively adjust to get units rented fast. No more “list and hope.” Today's market here in August of 2025 is drastically different than what it was 2, 3, 5+ years ago... You really need to make sure your property manager in Cincinnati is completely dialed in and ideally, running "daily management" calls with their leasing department. This is something we implemented this year due to the many challenges with DOM. I would strongly suggest you ask all PM's that you are considering partnering with "Tell me specifically what you are doing in order to achieve your target DOM? In addition, what is your target DOM for every single unit you list?"
Proactive Communication: You’ll get clear updates on leasing, maintenance, and tenant issues without having to chase us down. We use a software called Tenant Turner to help us fill vacancies FAST... Our goal is 21 DOM or less. This software provides heavily detailed reports that we share with our clients, to lean directly into DATA on how the listing performance is going. You'll never hear us so "Oh yeah, well nobody likes it, not sure why, but they just don't like it!"
Transparent Financials: Our reporting is detailed, online, and consistent — you’ll always know where the money is going. Our foundational software we use is Buildium. It's been what we've used for the 10+ years we've been doing this.
Investor Mindset: We own rentals here too, so we manage with the same focus on protecting cash flow and long-term value.
If you (or anyone else reading this) are still looking for a high-quality PM in Cincinnati, you can check us out on our website, message one of our sales reps, or DM me here on BP. Even if we don’t end up working together, I’m happy to share how we approach leasing, screening, and reporting so you can compare options.
You shouldn’t have to lose money year after year just because the management team isn’t dialed in. If you are in a situation with a less than favorable property manager, I highly suggest to have a candid conversation with them. Approach it calmly, lean into data (DOM, cash flow, etc) and just let them know that unless they shape up, you will have to hire a new PM. I think taking that approach will do wonders for anyone experiencing a bad PM partnership more than anything else.
Then if all else fails, start reaching out to new PM's to explore how they can "right the ship".