Buying a 4-plex for under $30k.. but in a class D area. Worth it?

Buying a 4-plex for under $30k.. but in a class D area. Worth it?

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 12 votes

Hi everybody!

I thought I’d turn to the forums because I saw an interesting deal, but there’s some red flags.

Since I’m relatively new to real estate, I’m hoping some more experienced people can guide me in the right direction.

I found a deal for a 4-plex out of state listed at $39,900. It’s been on the market since January 2019 so I feel like it could easily be bought it for around $25-$30,000 or even less. The property details list that each unit rents for $475/mo. It sounded too good to be true.

Here come the red flags. It’s in a class D neighborhood and supposedly one of the most dangerous areas in the state and the property is in “distressed condition.” I know that it’s highly advised against investing in class D neighborhoods.

If somebody could give me some advice on what to do I’d highly appreciate that! Thanks so much!!

9Reply
386 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 161 posts · 178 votes
7y

Here's what I get concerned about with this types of property. If you fix it up and sell it, who is going to buy it and for how much. If you fix it up and rent it, how much are you going to spend every year repairing stuff that your D class tenants broke.

See this reply in the discussion

106 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 161 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    Here's what I get concerned about with this types of property. If you fix it up and sell it, who is going to buy it and for how much. If you fix it up and rent it, how much are you going to spend every year repairing stuff that your D class tenants broke.

  • Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    I am sure that some may disagree with me, but as a newbie in real estate (like myself), I wouldn't invest out of state as one of my first deals. It takes time to build effective teams and get a working knowledge of REI. All of which will change in each area. I'd urge you to stick local for your first few deals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Troy · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 271 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Branden Pfaff:

    I am sure that some may disagree with me, but as a newbie in real estate (like myself), I wouldn't invest out of state as one of my first deals. It takes time to build effective teams and get a working knowledge of REI. All of which will change in each area. I'd urge you to stick local for your first few deals.

     Completely agree. Stay local! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Detroit, MI · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    IME (in my experience)

    "Listed"=typically not a deal

    $475/mnth is gross.whats your net?

    A good deal is one that hits your rei goals. What are your REI goals?

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    You can invest out of state on your first deal if you know what you are doing.  You can't be buying D class war zone properties. Just drive to the worst city near you and tell me if you want to own the properties in that area.  

    The problem I see with a lot of new investors is they think they can make high yield return investing in these junk properties.  The NUMBERS look so GOOD Right!  Yea only if you can collect on your money and if it doesn't get trashed.  $475 X 4 = $1900.  OMG IM RICH!!!! LOL!

    There is no SHORT CUT in real estate.  Buying these properties will cause you a lot of trouble and heartache.  I know people want to get started and these low price homes make it sound so easy and the entry so low.  You can tell everyone I own 20 DOORS!  You forgot to tell people you own 20 DOORS of Junk. 

    If you are investing OOS you should be looking at B class and up and nothing else.  It takes someone local to the area to own and manage C or below properties.  This person must have experience in dealing with these properties to make it work. 

    If you have to ask on BP on what to do.  You don't know what you are doing and don't buy it.

  • Syndication Expert and Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 591 posts · 808 votes
    7y

    You get what you pay for. Take a hard pass. 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Benny Morfas Absolutely find another deal! This one will suck your time and money and turn you off REI.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Benny Morfas

    If it was me, I'd pass, and I'm experienced working with these kinds of properties in my area. 

  • Michael DangPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
    7y

    "I know that it’s highly advised against investing in class D neighborhoods."

    If you know this then why are you considering it for your first OOS deal?  Hard Pass in my opinion.

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 487 votes
    7y

    Buying your first rental in a D neighborhood thousands of miles away. It's in bad enough shape that none of the local investors will touch it for $40,000.

    What could go wrong?

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Benny Morfas

    If it was any good a local investor would have purchased it months ago. I ran away from a local D class that was a “great deal” because I didn’t want the headache. It was being sold by an out of state investor. Like I just said on another thread, if you can’t rent it out or actually collect the rents, it’s a 0% deal.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick thanks everybody for your advice. It’s really great to take this all in coming from people who know what they’re doing way more than I do! I didn’t realize so many things until everyone brought up great points.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    this is the kind of deal I buy . Wouldn’t bother me as long as the place was not so distressed it couldn’t be brought back . The area wouldn’t bother me either ... however I would strongly advise against YOU buying it . Risk is relative ..What’s risky for some is not for others. This won’t end well for you Being your out of state ,and green, and it’s a warzone ....

  • Investor · Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    @Benny Morfas I was a young investor several years ago with the opportunity to buy a 4 plex in a low income area. I asked other seasoned investors about it and they told me to pass. Since I was smarter than them, I bought it anyway. Sold it as a loss a few years later. Gained a lot of experience, lost a fair amount of money.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Branden Pfaff:

    I am sure that some may disagree with me, but as a newbie in real estate (like myself), I wouldn't invest out of state as one of my first deals. It takes time to build effective teams and get a working knowledge of REI. All of which will change in each area. I'd urge you to stick local for your first few deals.

    That sounds like a good theory, but you're in South Dakota where you can probably do that and it make plenty of sense. For those of us in the insanely high-priced areas like LA or San Fran, we don't have that luxury. So your recommendation sounds good for anyone who can invest locally and it make sense, sure, but it can't be a blanket statement for everyone because for a lot of us, investing locally can get us in trouble.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I agree with @Frank Wong. Anytime numbers are run for a property, they are projected numbers. Nothing in there guarantees you'll ever see a penny of those numbers. So when you invest, you have to invest in something that's going to allow you to actually sustain those projections. A $40k fourplex is by far the cheapest property I've ever heard of on this website, I don't care what market it's in. Tenants who only pay $425/month in rent are going to be the highest-risk tenants you could ask for, it's out-of-state which means it will require property management and a lot of times in known dangerous areas, most PMs won't touch it with a 10ft-pole. And those are the problems just with the initial price and tenants. Then apparently you're going to have to rehab it. How are you going to rehab an out-of-state property in a known dangerous area, exactly? And as a new investor. 

    This deal literally has every single one of the largest red flags possible, all combined into one.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    7y

    Class D for a new investor and out of state to boot?  It’s a long shot TBH.  Maybe a property with 2 out of those 3 conditions would work, but prolly not all three.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Kris L. I appreciate everyone’s input!! I’m not sure how to tag everyone or do a reply all but you all have really put it into perspective for me. Thank you!

  • Developer · Magnolia, DE · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Benny Morfas no deal 😬

  • Specialist · Northeast Ohio · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Benny Morfas You should buy a turnkey property in a C neighborhood for your first OOS investment. Look into the Cleveland market. Lots of turnkey companies are rehabbing houses and selling at a price that makes sense for you to cashflow.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Hi @Benny Morfas,

    I invest exclusively in Lake County and NE Euclid.  Reach out to me if you want advice. I love this stuff!!

    Swanny

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    7y

    @Benny Morfas, your profile says your are in Los Angeles.  At 30k per door, I know your are not buying in LA.  ;-)

    One of three things will happen:

    1.  You will go broke

    2.  You will lose your mind as you thought this would be 'passive'.

    3.  Both

    D class is almost like a job.  Chasing people, evictions, late pay, no pay, etc.  Think back to the 'politics' of junior high school.  And that is basically a D class property.

    Do YOU want a full time job to go with your full time job?

    Best of luck.

  • Investor · Matamoras, PA · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    absolutely positively NO! Do not buy the deal.  Take the 40k and buy another deal in a B area.

  • Aaron HowellBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Crozet, VA · Member since 2014 · 436 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    High Maintenance Tenants, High Insurance Premiums and High time allocation !  

    Story House Real Estate529 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 553 posts · 314 votes
    7y

    Look at it this way, if you buy it for $30,000 and then tear it down you might actually save some money.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.