Roseville, CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 5 votes
I would like some feedback. I'm interested in doing an apartment coaching program, I'm deciding between Think Multifamily (Mark Kenney) and the Jake and Gino Program.
I've been investing in SFR and small MFR for over 20 years, I'm interested in moving some of those rentals (a lot in northern california) into some apartment complexes in other states. I'd like some training in reviewing the numbers (I have done a few 15-30 units in the past) but more training on finding properties and analysing the markets.
I personally would definitely recommend Mark and @Tamiel Kenney of Think Multifamily! We have been a part of Think Multifamily for just over 2 years now and our experience with this group has been amazing. Our business has been greatly impacted and we have really grown our portfolio a lot in the past 2 years! We live in Portland, OR, and have been traveling regularly to their events. It has been worth all our time and financial investment. If you have any interest in getting on a phone call with me and my husband, Josh, we'd be happy to answer any of your questions and tell you more about our experiences. I don't personally know Jake and Gino or their program, so I am a bit biased towards Think Multifamily. Would love to connect if it would be helpful for you in any way!
I personally would definitely recommend Mark and @Tamiel Kenney of Think Multifamily! We have been a part of Think Multifamily for just over 2 years now and our experience with this group has been amazing. Our business has been greatly impacted and we have really grown our portfolio a lot in the past 2 years! We live in Portland, OR, and have been traveling regularly to their events. It has been worth all our time and financial investment. If you have any interest in getting on a phone call with me and my husband, Josh, we'd be happy to answer any of your questions and tell you more about our experiences. I don't personally know Jake and Gino or their program, so I am a bit biased towards Think Multifamily. Would love to connect if it would be helpful for you in any way!
Investor · Front Royal, VA · Member since 2013 · 586 posts · 418 votes
6y
@Tim Manke what are your goals? Do you want to start small or go big right away? In my mind, they are two different groups. Jake and Gino are more focused on teaching students how to buy smaller properties. I think they teach that the smallest you should go is 30 units or so?
Think Multifamily focuses more on syndicating large buildings 100 units and up. They have a "family" syndication method that teaches you can go much bigger while not taking the entire burden on yourself.
Another question to ask is what's the track record of those involved. How long have they been syndicating? how many transactions have they done? will I get one-on-one coaching with them or be given a tiered coach? Feel free to DM me and I can give you my thoughts on each group.
Rental Property Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2011 · 232 posts · 170 votes
6y
@Tim Manke in addition to reaching out for referrals as you are doing. I believe both hold live events. Perhaps attend both and see who connects with you better.
Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Tim Manke The information taught will be largely the same in both scenarios. Numbers don't lie and the strategies will be very similar. In fact, if you examine Michael Blanks, Brad Sumrocs, Rod Kleifs, etc for apartment syndication, they are largely the same model. Sure variances here and there but syndication or the method of partnering to acquire apartment complexes or something larger then able to do solo does not change at its base level.
I simply highlight this to say, trust your gut and feeling when evaluating these programs. In the end, aligning with the purpose of the people who run the workshop or with the program that "feels right" will be your best bet. I would say in truth the value of these programs is really the network the comes with the interaction. " Your network is your net worth" as we all know.
Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
6y
Just throwing this out there but Neal Bawa has a very analytical and statistical approach on evaluating different market. You may want to check it out.
Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
I'd recommend you attend both of their events and make a decision after that. You can meet a bunch of each program's students when you go, and that can heavily inform your decision! I know Mark and Jake & Gino, all 3 are great guys. Without polling their students I wouldn't be able to make a decision myself!
Multifamily Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 182 votes
6y
@Tim Manke I think either would be great. Good answers above here. Think has a specific 'numbers/unerwriting' 2-day seminar, BUT it specifically uses their underwriting tool, which, in my opinion, is the most confusing model out there.
If you're looking to just get better at underwriting, consider buying Michael Blank's SDA (Comes with video training), or David Toupin from Obsidian Capital's analyzer (free training on YouTube for the model).
Happy to provide some links, just can't post them in here. DM me?
Then buy Jake/Gino's book, and you're off to the races for $200, rather than all the money on 'coaching.'
It sounds like you have a lot of experience, just need to focus it in for larger acquisitions now.
Also, consider passively investing in a few syndications to get your feet wet, see what it entails before you commit that that is what your goal is. Who knows, norcal small multi's may be great for you!
Rental Property Investor · Denver · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
6y
I have to agree with Emily Hauser (though no offense to Jake and Gino, who also have a great rep). Mark and Tammy have exactly the right degree of intensity and passion for what they're doing, and their track record is stellar both in their own investments and in mentoring students who ultimately end up in their network. If you're going to go big, go TMF.
Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 411 posts · 477 votes
6y
@Tim Manke. As @Luke Miller mentions, it is important to know your end goal. From what I understand, if you want to go big and do large syndications, ThinkMultifamily fits the bill. I am told Mark Kenny is very accessible (at this point in time). I know it does not come cheap.
If you are looking to JV, and do more creative financing type of deals then you'd want to go the Jake & Gino route. These programs often times come down growing your network, so definitely see what group you vibe with (by attending an event, and speaking with references), and how accessible they are to you, in terms of proximity.
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 84 votes
6y
Hi @Tim Manke I honestly don't know anything about Marks program but I am actually in Jake and Gino's program and I absolutely LOVE IT! It's the best RE decision I've made by far. They do an excellent job of breaking everything down and going piece by piece. Underwriting is a huge part of it. The community at J&G is growing everyday and everyone feels like family. The coaches, events, networking, and drive is extremely empowering. If you or anyone would like to talk more about it feel free to ask.
Plano, TX · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 22 votes
6y
I'll add my two cents as well...
I've been in the Family Syndication Group with Mark and @Tamiel Kenney for almost a year now. I'm about to close on my first 145 unit deal and working through my second (267 doors) as well. There is absolutely no way I could have achieved 412 doors in about year, on my own,or without the guidance of Think Multifamily. Especially in 2020!
Don't get me wrong, their are a lot of great syndicators out there. The passion, attitude, and culture of Think makes the difference though!
Let me know if you want to chat on the phone for a bit or if I can help any other way! ...and best of luck to you!
Real Estate Syndicator · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 453 posts · 312 votes
6y
@Emily Houser
See you are out of Portland!! Curious what you guys are doing and would love to meet up or virtually meet! We’ve started a local meet up, WIN (Westside investors network). Meeting next week in cost segregation.
I don’t have any experience with either other than listening to their podcasts and education! Soak up as much as you can! We started small on stuff local here in portland and are working towards getting more in this area. Either way, more education doesn’t hurt and in most cases pays for itself very quickly.
Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 130 votes
6y
@Chris Gerstner that's awesome! Congrats. We host a weekly roundtable with Rodney Thompson, who's also part of the Think Multifamily community and speaks very highly of it. I'm always curious such amazing growth stories how the GP equity positions were split and what roles you as a new investor were able to fill?
@Tim Manke as others have pointed out, both groups are amazing. I'm personally part of the Jake and Gino community alongside @Nick Sheveland and have nothing but positive things to say about it. My partner and I joined the group as we were executing our first syndication, and though we had a lot of experience Joint Venturing, we wanted to have a direct line to other experienced syndicators to help navigate the murky waters and do right by our investors.
@Chris Gerstner I'm about to join starting the new year with Think Multifamily! Excited after seeing such great feedback online. I'm investor in California. If you don't mind I would love to hear more about your experience as I have never done coaching before. Let me know if you can chat on the phone or whatever works for you. Thanks sir!
Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 973 posts · 728 votes
5y
@Tim Manke make sure you speak to references in each program to get their input on what they’ve gained. You should also ask how many people have left the program and why? I believe there are several old threads on BP about various coaching program pros and cons.
Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
5y
@Tim Manke I agree with @Danny Randazzo. Everyone should do their own due diligence before joining a group and really think about your goals. It's not as easy as some people like to make it seem :)
Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 208 votes
5y
Whatever you decide, I'd strongly recommend a few things prior to pulling the trigger and engaging:
-Educate yourself properly before finalizing so you know what questions to ask to get the most out of the engagement. This could include books, podcasts, webinars, meet up groups, etc. This will catapult you into the right direction as well.
-Know exactly what you need from the engagement to be successful. If you know what you want and you know what the program is offering in it's own strengths you can choose wisely. This lines up closely to my first bullet above - without education and knowing your strengths and weaknesses it will be difficult to select the best fit.
Best of luck! Also consider having a look at @Todd Dexheimer's program as well. There are benefits beyond looking at only the large syndication names out there.
Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 22 votes
5y
I know a lot of individuals in Jake & Gino's group. They have all experienced a good amount of success and more than happy with joining. Jake & Gino seem to be very involved in the group as well. I also like that Jake & Gino own their own property management company so they know the ins and outs of effective management. I would highly recommended them if you are serious about getting into apartment investing.
Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 147 posts · 156 votes
5y
I don't know Mark's program well, but I'm in Jake and Gino and I definitely recommend it! Tons of content, resources, experienced community members, and you get your own "coach". Really set me on the right track to getting my first deal done and has significantly decreased the learning curve for me. If you're already starting with a good amount of knowledge, I could still see it being beneficial due to the level of expertise in the community and continuous content they put out.
New to Real Estate · PLANO, TX · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 7 votes
5y
Hello,
Very good information here, I wonder if there is any person in the forum who has had bad experience with coaching (whether J/G or Think or any other) and what would they recommend at the time of choosing a coach... I live in Plano TX and thinking in going into multifamily after 2 years in SFRs; the locals here are Think and Brad Sumrok, I would think having local mentors is an advantage... I am starting already with podcasts, blogs, Jake and Gino's book (which I find great); also networking and will start going to meetups. Thanks