Ashcroft Capital Syndication

Ashcroft Capital Syndication

Argyle, TX · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 15 votes

I am considering investing in a Multifamily syndication deal with Ashcroft Capital.  Outside of their investor margins being a little thin, does anyone have any feedback they provide from personal experience or research they performed on Ashcroft?

9Reply
491 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 43 votes
5y

I have invested with Ashcroft with mixed results. The lead sponsor is super important and that varies from deal to deal. So you will want to make sure to vet that. Also Ashcroft's split isn't as generous as other syndicators. But they do get deals in a great locations. 

If you want to discuss more specifics, feel free to ping me. 

Carmen Dettloff

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Dan Rowley:

    @Derek Bennetsen. I am investing in my third deal with them. I do t have long term experience with them yet but They have a good track record and seem to really have it together from my experience.

    How is your experience with Ashcroft capital so far especially with the start on the pandemic 

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Carmen Dettloff:

    I have invested with Ashcroft with mixed results. The lead sponsor is super important and that varies from deal to deal. So you will want to make sure to vet that. Also Ashcroft's split isn't as generous as other syndicators. But they do get deals in a great locations. 

    If you want to discuss more specifics, feel free to ping me. 

    Carmen Dettloff

     Hey Carmen, how is your experience with Ashcroft? I am thinking to invest with them

  • Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2012 · 214 posts · 194 votes
    4y

    @Ayman Omara   no real issues during the pandemic for the 3 deals I'm in.  Mostly they buy solid B class apartments and so less covid impacts than class C.

  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 14 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Todd Dexheimer:

    I personally have not invested with Ashcroft, so what I write below isn't a reflective upon them, but GP's in general: 

    Make sure you're asking the right questions and looking at a sponsors underwriting carefully. Are they really able to achieve the projections or will they likely fall short? Right now, most cities are seeing a decline in rent prices and in occupancy and that trend is likely to continue. Is the sponsor reflecting that? 

    I wrote and article on how to find good deals as an LP that may help: 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/... 


     This post caught my attention because it's so interesting what time does. A year ago, at least in your market, you could say rents were going down.  I have heard a lot of cities like Phoenix, Vegas, and Sacramento have had rents go up 25% just in the last year!  So, by that measure, their projections might have been off... but just they probably didn't assume a 25% increase. Lol!

  • Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jason Merchey:

    I have since looked at the underwriting on the two assets they will place or have placed in the Fund. They seem fine. I don't think Ashcroft has any issues with generally how they underwrite. I have gotten a number of mistakes in the distributions, but they always seem to correct them and say that their new system will obviate that kind of thing going forward. I think the only two issues that I think about as I contemplate signing on are the speed with which they have been growing, and the fact that they are just now moving to being vertically integrated -- their property management and renovation teams are all in-house now -- not 3rd party like they used to be. They also shuffled their fees around to reflect this. It's probably a good thing, but as you can see, the theme here is growth management -- can they keep growing successfully, or will they encounter sheering forces that cause a problem? I think the odds are pretty good that they bring all hands on deck and make the step up to the big time in 2021-22.


     Your responses on Ashcroft Capital (2-3 years ago) was very informative. Now in mid 2023, any new insights about this company?  I appreciate your feedback. 

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Derek Bennetsen:

    I am considering investing in a Multifamily syndication deal with Ashcroft Capital.  Outside of their investor margins being a little thin, does anyone have any feedback they provide from personal experience or research they performed on Ashcroft?


     i actually just spoke with them and we discussed distribution track record from both Fund 1 & 2 and they had mentioned to me that they had paused distributions due to the floating rate structure that they used in both funds.  When i went further in comparing Funds 1,2, & 3, i wanted to confirm the total # of properties in each fund, which went 1 (~8), 2 (~6), 3 ( 3).  When i asked about the property concentration in Fund 3 versus the other two funds they mentioned that it was due to the low market supply for what they were looking for.  For what i was looking for, i am going to move them a "hold" for now.  Best of luck to you in your decision making.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Has anyone invested with Ashcroft Capital this calendar year? Fund 3? I did and need a copy of the Operating Agreement and they are taking forever to give it to me. I'm a little worried about this investment. Anyone have any bad experiences with them? Good?

  • Rental Property Investor · NM · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 32 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sue Forwith:

    Has anyone invested with Ashcroft Capital this calendar year? Fund 3? I did and need a copy of the Operating Agreement and they are taking forever to give it to me. I'm a little worried about this investment. Anyone have any bad experiences with them? Good?


     I have not. But I would check the SEC fillings online. It should all be published / public information. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Benjamin E Salas, to be clear, neither Sue's specific agreement, nor the fund's larger agreements are not publicly available.  

    @Sue Forwith, the above comment is inaccurate. Not because the agreements should be available and are not, but all syndications are exempt offerings under various SEC rules.  Specifically, rule 506(c) allows for any securities offering to be exempt from public filings, other than the actual registration handled under Form D, which is available through an SEC search.

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Derek Bennetsen

    They do buy newer assets, which in this part of the market cycle, is a good thing. I have not invested with them, but you can find tons of info on them online.

    They have been investing since around 2016, and have focused on good markets.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Sue Forwith

    For all those reading I would never sign a subscription document without seeing a copy of the operating agreement. This should be provided upfront for you and your attorney to review

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Chris, Yes, lesson learned. They did finally get me a copy. Had to be cleared through their counsel before they would provide. And just got a distribution so all going well now, but boy was I nervous. Hadn't read all the negative comments about capital calls until after invested.

    Also, what big things are you looking at when you do review them, Chris. Thanks for any guidance.

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sue Forwith:

      Chris, Yes, lesson learned. They did finally get me a copy. Had to be cleared through their counsel before they would provide. And just got a distribution so all going well now, but boy was I nervous. Hadn't read all the negative comments about capital calls until after invested.

      Also, what big things are you looking at when you do review them, Chris. Thanks for any guidance.


       I always hand them to an attorney and ask "what should I be aware of in this agreement"

      Typical things are: Who are the owners, who has management rights, what rights do we as an LP have, what documentation is listed or what activities should they be doing. Who has voting rights, how are capital calls done, where does the money flow.

      I cannot believe they had to go through an attorney to provide this, we have done multiple syndications and have always included this in our package to investors. 

      7e investments53 Reviews
  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 4 votes
    1y

    DO NOT invest with Ashcroft Capital! I have invested over $2M with them and have been disappointed lately. Full of capital calls and paused distributions. But they are still out there raising more capital for new deals! Ridiculous! Again, Do NOT invest with Ashcroft or 99% of the syndications out there! 

    Keep your money and do direct investment where you have control!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 13 votes
    1y

    I'm an investor in Fund 2. They just issued a 19% capital call. If everyone participates, the best case scenario is that they lose 75% of your investment. This is beyond disappointing. They over-paid for and over-levered the properties in Fund 2 not to mention not diversifying geographically. Stay away from Ashcroft. 

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @David Pike:

      I'm an investor in Fund 2. They just issued a 19% capital call. If everyone participates, the best case scenario is that they lose 75% of your investment. This is beyond disappointing. They over-paid for and over-levered the properties in Fund 2 not to mention not diversifying geographically. Stay away from Ashcroft. 


       David, So I understand this, lets say you invested $100k, now you have to put in another $19k and best case is you get $30k back.... If those numbers are accurate - why would one participate in the CC?

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
      1y
      Quote from @David Pike:

      I'm an investor in Fund 2. They just issued a 19% capital call. If everyone participates, the best case scenario is that they lose 75% of your investment. This is beyond disappointing. They over-paid for and over-levered the properties in Fund 2 not to mention not diversifying geographically. Stay away from Ashcroft. 

      Yikes! I bet Joe F. is not so confident about his and the other leaders' abilities to figure things out now.........
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 13 votes
    1y

    If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
    • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
      1y
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  

      This article came out yesterday. It doesn't really say much though

       https://heraldspost.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit/
    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  


       I have trouble taking a strangers advice for directions to the place I am trying to get to, never mind investment options. 

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  

      This article came out yesterday. It doesn't really say much though

       https://heraldspost.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit/

      the article just brings up what every lawyer says when a deal goes bad..  nothing new here.
      In hindsight limited partners maybe should have just invested with  companies that took on NO debt and lived with the return you know 4 to 5% .. plus any appreciation over time.  It was industry competing for the same investor dollars on the same assets so you need leverage to juice returns.. we see it on BP all the time.. the Max leverage refi till you die get max doors investors.. And the pay cash own less doors smaller returns sleep well investors.. Personal choice right ?
    • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  

      This article came out yesterday. It doesn't really say much though

       https://heraldspost.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit/

      the article just brings up what every lawyer says when a deal goes bad..  nothing new here.
      In hindsight limited partners maybe should have just invested with  companies that took on NO debt and lived with the return you know 4 to 5% .. plus any appreciation over time.  It was industry competing for the same investor dollars on the same assets so you need leverage to juice returns.. we see it on BP all the time.. the Max leverage refi till you die get max doors investors.. And the pay cash own less doors smaller returns sleep well investors.. Personal choice right ?
      You nailed it, we sleep really well. 
    • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  

      This article came out yesterday. It doesn't really say much though

       https://heraldspost.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit/

      the article just brings up what every lawyer says when a deal goes bad..  nothing new here.
      In hindsight limited partners maybe should have just invested with  companies that took on NO debt and lived with the return you know 4 to 5% .. plus any appreciation over time.  It was industry competing for the same investor dollars on the same assets so you need leverage to juice returns.. we see it on BP all the time.. the Max leverage refi till you die get max doors investors.. And the pay cash own less doors smaller returns sleep well investors.. Personal choice right ?
      I personally think leverage is appropriate for syndications, and isn't the principal cause of the kind of financial distress I'm hearing about and seeing on my statements. I have other sponsors who are in the <69% LTV range and they are just experiencing some difficulties but nowhere near capital calling. I would say your standard, fairly responsible 2017-2022 era syndication nowadays might be experiencing challenges in distributing income, but still maintaining the asset well, achieving occupancies in the >89% range, and seeing rent growth of (2%) to +1%. Certainly they are nowhere near being able to sell for a profit. If they used variable rate financing, they are probably out to sea with no wind. My best funds are showing 3.0-3.5% returns annualized at this time, and my least healthy called up $2m in capital, or in the case of Ashcroft, brought in some new investor capital to shore things up. I guess I should be happy that Ashcroft is keeping the lights on, all things considered....
      All in all it's not a great time to hold a 2-5 year old syndication I believe. But, those who can survive will still be able to get to a positive IRR and no loss of investor capital, I believe.
    • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  

      This article came out yesterday. It doesn't really say much though

       https://heraldspost.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit/
      Holy wow! I had no idea this was occurring. I guess the company is not going to send out an email saying Hey we are in big trouble, we just wanted you to know! Now I am feeling anxious, but tentatively pleased to think that in the case of one of my syndications, when trouble came they brought in investor capital, which will ultimately affect the IRR because now there are more mouths to feed, but it allowed them to play to time and hope for a time when the market will allow a sale for a profit. It was the responsible thing to do, I suppose, and probably easier to swallow than a capital call. And as I mentioned, with my other Ashcroft syndication, they paused distributions for Class B investors and are paying Class A. Anyway I just don't know enough about Ashcroft to make determinations about what if any blame the team holds, but I can't say I am happy about this news.
    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jason Merchey:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  

      This article came out yesterday. It doesn't really say much though

       https://heraldspost.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit/

      the article just brings up what every lawyer says when a deal goes bad..  nothing new here.
      In hindsight limited partners maybe should have just invested with  companies that took on NO debt and lived with the return you know 4 to 5% .. plus any appreciation over time.  It was industry competing for the same investor dollars on the same assets so you need leverage to juice returns.. we see it on BP all the time.. the Max leverage refi till you die get max doors investors.. And the pay cash own less doors smaller returns sleep well investors.. Personal choice right ?
      I personally think leverage is appropriate for syndications, and isn't the principal cause of the kind of financial distress I'm hearing about and seeing on my statements. I have other sponsors who are in the <69% LTV range and they are just experiencing some difficulties but nowhere near capital calling. I would say your standard, fairly responsible 2017-2022 era syndication nowadays might be experiencing challenges in distributing income, but still maintaining the asset well, achieving occupancies in the >89% range, and seeing rent growth of (2%) to +1%. Certainly they are nowhere near being able to sell for a profit. If they used variable rate financing, they are probably out to sea with no wind. My best funds are showing 3.0-3.5% returns annualized at this time, and my least healthy called up $2m in capital, or in the case of Ashcroft, brought in some new investor capital to shore things up. I guess I should be happy that Ashcroft is keeping the lights on, all things considered....
      All in all it's not a great time to hold a 2-5 year old syndication I believe. But, those who can survive will still be able to get to a positive IRR and no loss of investor capital, I believe.

      well sure hope thats the case.. these companies that go busto are going to affect new companies trying to raise dollars today.. kind of like in 2011 when I was trying to cobble investor money together and so many had been wiped out in 08 to 2010 people just where sitting on their cash.. it was frustrating the best buying opportunity of the last 100 years and investors too conservative to make a move.. one particular deal  100 lot subdivision in ATL metro all done shovel ready I had in escrow for get this 100k total 1k a lot.. And investors were like ya but it does not cash flow :)  3 years later those sold for 35k a lot..  I did manage to buy one 15 lot deals for 3k a lot and sold within 18 months for 30k per lot.. So there are going to be deals now and in the near future but investor who have lost or are tied up wont particpate because of past history or they are simply out of bullits..
    • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Jason Merchey:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Account Closed:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @David Pike:

      If you invested $100k and then put $19k in for the capital call, you would potentially get your capital call back ($19K) plus 25% of the $100k so $25k.

      So you're looking at either a $75k loss if you gamble the $19k, a $100k loss if you don't participate and are wiped out, or a $119k loss if you participate but are still wiped out. That's too big a gap for me; I'd have to just eat the current loss and move on. If you had better than house odds at being made whole, it might make sense but there's just no upside here. What a shame. I haven't reread the thread but I know I remember some people predicting the cap call on #1 would just be the beginning. 

      Edit: I went back and read the whole thread, which is not the big thread that's been going for a while. Wow. It looks to me like, prompted or not, a lot of cheerleaders showed up to encourage the OP to dive on in, the water is fine. I'd be interested in seeing how many of those posters are still around these days.  

      This article came out yesterday. It doesn't really say much though

       https://heraldspost.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit/

      the article just brings up what every lawyer says when a deal goes bad..  nothing new here.
      In hindsight limited partners maybe should have just invested with  companies that took on NO debt and lived with the return you know 4 to 5% .. plus any appreciation over time.  It was industry competing for the same investor dollars on the same assets so you need leverage to juice returns.. we see it on BP all the time.. the Max leverage refi till you die get max doors investors.. And the pay cash own less doors smaller returns sleep well investors.. Personal choice right ?
      I personally think leverage is appropriate for syndications, and isn't the principal cause of the kind of financial distress I'm hearing about and seeing on my statements. I have other sponsors who are in the <69% LTV range and they are just experiencing some difficulties but nowhere near capital calling. I would say your standard, fairly responsible 2017-2022 era syndication nowadays might be experiencing challenges in distributing income, but still maintaining the asset well, achieving occupancies in the >89% range, and seeing rent growth of (2%) to +1%. Certainly they are nowhere near being able to sell for a profit. If they used variable rate financing, they are probably out to sea with no wind. My best funds are showing 3.0-3.5% returns annualized at this time, and my least healthy called up $2m in capital, or in the case of Ashcroft, brought in some new investor capital to shore things up. I guess I should be happy that Ashcroft is keeping the lights on, all things considered....
      All in all it's not a great time to hold a 2-5 year old syndication I believe. But, those who can survive will still be able to get to a positive IRR and no loss of investor capital, I believe.

      well sure hope thats the case.. these companies that go busto are going to affect new companies trying to raise dollars today.. kind of like in 2011 when I was trying to cobble investor money together and so many had been wiped out in 08 to 2010 people just where sitting on their cash.. it was frustrating the best buying opportunity of the last 100 years and investors too conservative to make a move.. one particular deal  100 lot subdivision in ATL metro all done shovel ready I had in escrow for get this 100k total 1k a lot.. And investors were like ya but it does not cash flow :)  3 years later those sold for 35k a lot..  I did manage to buy one 15 lot deals for 3k a lot and sold within 18 months for 30k per lot.. So there are going to be deals now and in the near future but investor who have lost or are tied up wont particpate because of past history or they are simply out of bullits..
      I hear you. But the best investors will be opportunistic and nimble and get deals taken down, and then institutional money will flow into the scene, and voila--a new cycle begins. All this predicated on the idea that the economy isn't forced into recession--that will definitely hamper NOI growth.
  • Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2012 · 214 posts · 194 votes
    1y

    there is a fairly new website dedicated to LP reviews of operators - investclearly.com and I'd encourage those with good or bad experiences to share them so other in the investing community can benefit.  https://investclearly.com/sponsors/ashcroft-capital

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Dan Rowley:

      there is a fairly new website dedicated to LP reviews of operators - investclearly.com and I'd encourage those with good or bad experiences to share them so other in the investing community can benefit.  https://investclearly.com/sponsors/ashcroft-capital


      i browsed through this and some of the replys of some of the companies I know well and its full of schills  I would not trust ( personally) any feedback on that site.. Just sayin.. :)
  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
    1y

    My personal experience is that I had high hopes and they talked a good game. On one of my deals, I'm seeing lower than hoped for occupancy and NOI, and distributions have been reduced by about 3/4ths. On the other, I believe distributions have stopped for Class B investors, but Class A investors are still receiving the agreed-upon amount. Overall I'm disappointed of course.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Account Closed, that Herald Post article is a completely AI generated article.  

    There are some relatively strong AI websites now, with domains that look a lot like a law firm or legitimate new source.  Typically, I have found that unless there is a plaintiff and defendent listed, a specific filing date and a jurisdiction listed, these types of things are false.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
    1y

    Oh, ok I hadn't considered that. So you are saying that Ashcroft Capital has not been served with a lawsuit by one or more disgruntled investors in the last say, three months. OK good to know, I was nervous there for a minute!

  • California, CA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 7 votes
    1y


    @Jason Merchey 

    @Evan Polaski It's not just 1 article, if you search "Ashcroft capital lawsuit" there's pages of such articles, however what stood out to me was each of them had the same generic language except for 1 that gave a detailed timeline. I am planning to write to them and confirm if this is fake or true. I recommend anyone invested with them also to do the same.

    https://heightmag.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit-key-facts-all...

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Soup Nikk:


      @Jason Merchey 

      @Evan Polaski It's not just 1 article, if you search "Ashcroft capital lawsuit" there's pages of such articles, however what stood out to me was each of them had the same generic language except for 1 that gave a detailed timeline. I am planning to write to them and confirm if this is fake or true. I recommend anyone invested with them also to do the same.

      https://heightmag.com/ashcroft-capital-lawsuit-key-facts-all...


       The link is comical, the lawsuit that is out there that they mention re: Coutero is an employment contract / wrongful termination dispute has nothing to do with investors. Do not believe everything your read on the internet.

      7e investments53 Reviews
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Jason Merchey @Soup Nikk @Chris Seveney

    I hear you, Soup.  There are pages and pages of FAKE websites created with no real details.

    As Chris noted, if any of these sites actually site a case filing number, it is the EMPLOYMENT issue (tied to bonuses due after termination of employment) exclusively.  

    The creation of websites, AI generated articles using deep search on many AI agents can be very powerful, but in this case, and likely many more, you simply cannot believe everything you see on the internet.  Here are a couple red flags about this website, besides knowing a few facts of this specific article that are completely false:

    1. Every article you click on is written by "admin".
    2. Every lead image is a clear internet scrub or AI generated image
    3. There is no physical address on the Contact Us page, and to contact them, it is leading to a gmail account (I don't know any reputable businesses that don't use professional email addresses)
    4. The style of every article is very AI: no real commentary or detail on things, lots of large bold headers with a couple sentences below each.  But mostly everything is fluff, no real specifics into any topic they cover.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    11mo

    I am a class B investor on a few Ashcroft deals. They just announced the sale of one of the deals at a great loss, with ZERO return of initial capital to Class B investors. And now, they are making cash calls on my other deals. Clearly, Ashcroft is in huge trouble.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Josh Feit:

      I am a class B investor on a few Ashcroft deals. They just announced the sale of one of the deals at a great loss, with ZERO return of initial capital to Class B investors. And now, they are making cash calls on my other deals. Clearly, Ashcroft is in huge trouble.


      I guess one has to determine if its throwing good money after bad.  Did they raise capital that ended up going senior to your positions and that capital got paid and your not ?
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    9mo

    Yes -- cash call money goes ahead of all initial investments and gets paid back first. I think only about 20 percent of people responded to the cash call, because like me, they think Ashcroft is in trouble.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.