What is the new construction process? Dig lot, pour concrete, etc

What is the new construction process? Dig lot, pour concrete, etc

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes

Hello, 

I am doing my first new construction and at first I was very confident, but no, not so much.  A lot of my flips took longer than anticipated which resulted in me having to find money for the closing.

I did! but now I am just not as confident.  Its 1.5 2 single family build in the hottest neighborhood in philadelphia. Northern Liberties.  My lot sizes are 40x60. Comps in the area range from 1.3 million to 1.9 and those homes have 10 feet less frontage.  Ir willl cost 1.5 to build it all.  So the profit looks nice however I am using hard money and thats always hard....(need to be strict with time)....Anyway, I want to make sure I of all the knowledge I need to make as few mistakes if none, possible ...

My first questions after all appovals and permits.  What is the first 3 steps to from breaking ground to the next 3 steps? does the developer handle this all?

I really need guidance here, this is a once in a life time opportunity and due to a flip taking to long, I had to pivot and I feel less safe in the investment.  All will be well as I should have 690K as soon as on house closes next month and and refi comes through, is my less safe may just be my fear....So I'm trying to reduce the risk and know all I can possibly know. 

Starting with the first 3 steps and costs right now. its 5000 sqft home with elevator. Basement, 4 levels and roof deck.



4Reply
915 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 372 posts · 172 votes
4y

I do flips and new builds and have over 20 years experience.  No way, I would attempt this with my experience.  No offense but you are asking rookie questions ready to enter the championship game.  I would never do a spec home of this magnitude.  

See this reply in the discussion

201 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y

    @Chris Seveney I have everything covered, I am not the GC ,I have a builder who does luxury homes all around the city. I also have a consultant who has built over 20 homes and three large apartment complexes (600 doors). @Scott Mac Yes I know the crowd I am catering to and what is expected in these homes, but as I said above I have an experienced team with me as well who (my consutlant) is getting 10% of the net profit , so he is motivated to get the most out of it. He is a good friend of mine and he has built some magnificent homes. As for design, I have hired an interior decorator who will be drawing up 5 different color schemes, tiles etc, and I will choose one , this specific designer has worked on 5 homes in this area that sold for 1.9 million , so she and her team know what people are looking for in this area. Not that I dont, I have done extensive research, but I am covering all my basis since its my first new construction and luxury at that.  You guys all thing this is a tremendous undertaking, and it is, but I know what I am doing and for things that I dont, my team does.

    @Caroline Gerardo thank you, I really appreciate that.  My real estate agent and his team do some amazing marketing, he will be making a website and all that you have mentioned. Brochures with different finishes, great signage and the best thing is these homes are off the Main Street (well one of them is) so people will be driving by all the time wondering....The best thing I have going for me is that there is no more land in this area so I have supply and demand in my corner. I listed the house for just 2 days with the plans and renderings, last week, and have had over 10 people call about it already, however , I need to get the frame up so interest parties can buy it and customize if they want.  I am only building one at a time, if one pre sells fast I will start the other, but its possible by the time I am done the second house, the economy might be in better shape and or materials for the build of the 2nd home could go down. Thanks for your support

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff the words seamless, easy, top notch, low risk might not exist in the world of new construction, but being well prepared is going to make this easy and seamless.  And I dont know why you dont believe the words low risk in this scenario. Let me clarify. In the worst possible scenario these homes will sell for 1.4-1.6 million in a heartbeat.  This is what I mean by low risk in that, aside from a Great Depression , I will be able to make all the money I spent building them back. Thus low risk in losing alot of money or any if that.  Thats what I mean when I say it has low risk and this stands to be true in everyway.

    You dont know the market the I am building in, there is no supply left NONE! On top of that people are dying to live in this area. It is what it is, and what it is, is a grand slam 

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Don't leave the marketing all to Realtor. You want the data, emails, attention and reputation for the next deal and the next.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Bruce Woodruff the words seamless, easy, top notch, low risk might not exist in the world of new construction, but being well prepared is going to make this easy and seamless.  And I dont know why you dont believe the words low risk in this scenario. Let me clarify. In the worst possible scenario these homes will sell for 1.4-1.6 million in a heartbeat.  This is what I mean by low risk in that, aside from a Great Depression , I will be able to make all the money I spent building them back. Thus low risk in losing alot of money or any if that.  Thats what I mean when I say it has low risk and this stands to be true in everyway.

    You dont know the market the I am building in, there is no supply left NONE! On top of that people are dying to live in this area. It is what it is, and what it is, is a grand slam 


     Well, sounds like you got it all figured out. Let us know how it goes.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    You seem to have a lot of people with experience around you. You're basically acting as the developer, and subbing out everything. That's a great way to do it as long as the profits can support it. One word of caution, be careful on allowing any changes, and make sure upgrades are paid in advance (your contractor that's built custom homes probably has a process already) . Figure it's going to take 2x as long to build as you think it is, especially with many materials and finishes on back order. I wouldn't lock in to a sale until you're close to the finish line, too many things can go wrong and cost more than you are planning with the market right now.

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    4y

    @Douglas Gratz Your initial post was from about 6 months ago and the lot was nearing build ready state.  I'm imagining you are about half way through the home build by now, as you were projecting 12 month build time.  I'm interested in an update on two items builders track religiously:

    1. Estimates vs actual costs - How are your completed costs coming in vs your initial budget?  What are the reasons for your large variances?  What are your plans to reduce/eliminate these variance on the next build?

    2. Estimates vs actual schedule - How is your actual schedule progressing compared to your initial schedule?  What are the reasons for any large schedule delays?  What are your plans to reduce/eliminate the large schedule delays on your next build?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mike Smith:

    @Douglas Gratz Your initial post was from about 6 months ago and the lot was nearing build ready state.  I'm imagining you are about half way through the home build by now, as you were projecting 12 month build time.

    I don't think he's started yet.......

  • Investor · Lincoln City, OR · Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    I've been a GC in Oregon for 26 years. This moment in time requires BIG TIME skills in estimating, project managing with scheduling the MOST important right now. We are ordering windows at almost 4 months out which puts it at time of survey of lot. It's unreal the product availability in this country right now. Hire an experienced General Contractor for sure if you can! Houses here are running between 280 and 350 sq ft. here.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Zachary Hryczyk Where in Oregon are you building? We were in Sunriver OR a few years back and built a few homes, remodeled, but prices just skyrocketed and was too hard to find land. 

    Also, maybe you can upload a photo to your profile. If you don't want your photo, use something that's indicative of your area, a sport or ? Just makes it more personal. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mike Smith:

    @Douglas Gratz Your initial post was from about 6 months ago and the lot was nearing build ready state.  I'm imagining you are about half way through the home build by now, as you were projecting 12 month build time.  I'm interested in an update on two items builders track religiously:

    1. Estimates vs actual costs - How are your completed costs coming in vs your initial budget?  What are the reasons for your large variances?  What are your plans to reduce/eliminate these variance on the next build?

    2. Estimates vs actual schedule - How is your actual schedule progressing compared to your initial schedule?  What are the reasons for any large schedule delays?  What are your plans to reduce/eliminate the large schedule delays on your next build?


     I have not broken ground yet, the permits actually just were issued last week however having trouble with the construction loan. Since rates rose so fast, the terms I was going to close with were no longer profitable for the lender so we had to revisit that. Now my interest rate is 12% and just waiting to close. Ill keep you posted

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Mike Smith:

    @Douglas Gratz Your initial post was from about 6 months ago and the lot was nearing build ready state.  I'm imagining you are about half way through the home build by now, as you were projecting 12 month build time.  I'm interested in an update on two items builders track religiously:

    1. Estimates vs actual costs - How are your completed costs coming in vs your initial budget?  What are the reasons for your large variances?  What are your plans to reduce/eliminate these variance on the next build?

    2. Estimates vs actual schedule - How is your actual schedule progressing compared to your initial schedule?  What are the reasons for any large schedule delays?  What are your plans to reduce/eliminate the large schedule delays on your next build?


     I have not broken ground yet, the permits actually just were issued last week however having trouble with the construction loan. Since rates rose so fast, the terms I was going to close with were no longer profitable for the lender so we had to revisit that. Now my interest rate is 12% and just waiting to close. Ill keep you posted


     12%? Yikes, what does that do to your numbers?

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff If you know it will sell way before it's finished, probably before the permit is even pulled, it would be very silly to worry about an interest rate.

    When I build spec homes, I always know they will sell and close by completion, so I don't even bother worrying about "what if it doesn't sell and close immediately after completion??"  Such an exercise is a complete waste of time and is only done by complete newbie builders.

  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Bruce Woodruff and yes its going to cost $180 per sqft not $300. I do not know where you got your numbers from.  This 1.7millino home I am buying will need top of the line finishes yes, but its the location that makes the price so high , not the house here. (the house obviously will need high end finishes, but you catch my meaning) Where do you get $300 from?

    The lots is 40x60 of which 31x51 will be built on. I have to lots back to back .  And I am simply asking the above (not being defensive) all opinions welcome here. I like the truth


    I am new to the investing side of things, but I have been swinging a hammer, pouring concrete and pulling wire since I was 5 years old, I am now 40.

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. The guys driving to your site are paying $5.00+ per gallon gasoline, same for the Diesel in the trucks delivering the materials, which means prices of lumber and steel are not coming down as much as they could from the insane levels they peaked to mid pandemic.

    The other issue you have here, is you are trying to build tall, which means that there is a natural increase in cost simply for getting everything up to the upper floors because it is going to have to be hoisted up there with a telehandler or a crane.

    Because of this you are going to be throwing a substantial amount of equipment rental costs on top of your build, and that equipment runs on $5.00+ a gallon diesel fuel.

    Then you have to consider that labor costs are also going up because of inflation, When McDonalds is paying 13-15 an hour, skilled labor is starting to demand 25-50 an hour depending on the trade, and then the contractor is putting a markup on that before you are being billed for it.

    Additionally with the structure being as tall as what you are constructing, the walls have to be built stronger than a standard two story construction would be, and that weight has to be transferred to a very solid foundation that costs more money to build.

    The price of concrete is going up because it has to be trucked several times, and again, Diesel fuel is so expensive right now, and the same for the steel that has to be used to reinforce that concrete.

    There is another issue with building tall as well, is that your guys are going to need to have scaffolding and man lifts to get to the exterior of the house to work on it, and going 4 stories up, that is a lot of scaffold to build, not to mention that the employees working up there have to have fall protection training and so on.

    This is further compounded by the fact that working up high, it just takes longer so you are going to have way more hours involved because for anything they do, they are either having to perch themselves in the man basket of the lift, or working around the support structure of the scaffolding.

    And before you even start building in the site prep there again, you are going to have to pay for big earth moving machines, that run on that $5+ a gallon diesel, and pay for a truck to move those machines to and from your job site, and if those machines are big enough you have to pay for the permits for them to go down the road.

    When this kind of construction could be done for $180 a square foot, Bill Clinton was president.

    In 2000 looking at building single or two story dwellings if you could get by for $100 a square foot you were doing well. The currency has almost halved in value since then.

    I don't see any way you get that done at 180, 300-400 is far more likely.

    To give you a good example, look at this listing:

    https://www.zillow.com/homes/f...

    They got the structure of this house up, then got destroyed on the costs trying to finish it out, and it has sat like this since 2001. it is only 2 stories with a daylight basement. Just finishing this place out with the structure there (assuming it was all good) I would estimate at 150-200 a square foot. (And mind you if this property was in the lower 48 not Alaska)

    I would suggest if you want to learn the construction side of things, start with a much much smaller project, a 2br 2bath where you are putting less than 2-300k on the line.

    Building bigger projects like you are wanting to tackle takes knowing the right people and having the right connections to get it done, and the only way to get those is to start with smaller projects to weed out the non hackers.

    Construction is one of the most difficult endeavors there is to do efficiently because there are so many moving parts, which is why so many shy away from it, and why the people who are good at it can make the big money.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nick Richards:

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. 

    @Nick Richards - you are absolutely right and we all agree. I got my GC license in '83 and have been doing construction since the '70s. But the OP seems to think he has figured things out and that the general rules do not apply to him. We have been warning him for months and yet he is set on his path. Now all we can do is wish him luck and hope he can recover from this fall. I hope he can prove us wrong, but reality is reality......

    I'm trying to nicely say that you are wasting your time here :-)

  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Nick Richards:

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. 

    @Nick Richards - you are absolutely right and we all agree. I got my GC license in '83 and have been doing construction since the '70s. But the OP seems to think he has figured things out and that the general rules do not apply to him. We have been warning him for months and yet he is set on his path. Now all we can do is wish him luck and hope he can recover from this fall. I hope he can prove us wrong, but reality is reality......

    I'm trying to nicely say that you are wasting your time here :-)


     I can't say that I disagree with you, however, hopefully someone else reading gets some value out of it. 😎

  • Long LeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2021 · 28 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    If I were you, I would talk to a general contractor in your area and seek for their guidance/suggestion on this, you may have to spend money, but it's a good investment to have

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Long Le:

    If I were you, I would talk to a general contractor in your area and seek for their guidance/suggestion on this, you may have to spend money, but it's a good investment to have


     He already has a GC....

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Nick Richards:

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. 

    @Nick Richards - you are absolutely right and we all agree. I got my GC license in '83 and have been doing construction since the '70s. But the OP seems to think he has figured things out and that the general rules do not apply to him. We have been warning him for months and yet he is set on his path. Now all we can do is wish him luck and hope he can recover from this fall. I hope he can prove us wrong, but reality is reality......

    I'm trying to nicely say that you are wasting your time here :-)

    @Bruce Woodruff

     Bruce,

    Could you message me your email, I would like send you my budget so that you could share some constructive criticism and where you find error, enter what you think the line item should cost?

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nick Richards:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Bruce Woodruff and yes its going to cost $180 per sqft not $300. I do not know where you got your numbers from.  This 1.7millino home I am buying will need top of the line finishes yes, but its the location that makes the price so high , not the house here. (the house obviously will need high end finishes, but you catch my meaning) Where do you get $300 from?

    The lots is 40x60 of which 31x51 will be built on. I have to lots back to back .  And I am simply asking the above (not being defensive) all opinions welcome here. I like the truth

    @Nick Richards 

     I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me, 

    I am new to the investing side of things, but I have been swinging a hammer, pouring concrete and pulling wire since I was 5 years old, I am now 40.

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. The guys driving to your site are paying $5.00+ per gallon gasoline, same for the Diesel in the trucks delivering the materials, which means prices of lumber and steel are not coming down as much as they could from the insane levels they peaked to mid pandemic.

    The other issue you have here, is you are trying to build tall, which means that there is a natural increase in cost simply for getting everything up to the upper floors because it is going to have to be hoisted up there with a telehandler or a crane.

    Because of this you are going to be throwing a substantial amount of equipment rental costs on top of your build, and that equipment runs on $5.00+ a gallon diesel fuel.

    Then you have to consider that labor costs are also going up because of inflation, When McDonalds is paying 13-15 an hour, skilled labor is starting to demand 25-50 an hour depending on the trade, and then the contractor is putting a markup on that before you are being billed for it.

    Additionally with the structure being as tall as what you are constructing, the walls have to be built stronger than a standard two story construction would be, and that weight has to be transferred to a very solid foundation that costs more money to build.

    The price of concrete is going up because it has to be trucked several times, and again, Diesel fuel is so expensive right now, and the same for the steel that has to be used to reinforce that concrete.

    There is another issue with building tall as well, is that your guys are going to need to have scaffolding and man lifts to get to the exterior of the house to work on it, and going 4 stories up, that is a lot of scaffold to build, not to mention that the employees working up there have to have fall protection training and so on.

    This is further compounded by the fact that working up high, it just takes longer so you are going to have way more hours involved because for anything they do, they are either having to perch themselves in the man basket of the lift, or working around the support structure of the scaffolding.

    And before you even start building in the site prep there again, you are going to have to pay for big earth moving machines, that run on that $5+ a gallon diesel, and pay for a truck to move those machines to and from your job site, and if those machines are big enough you have to pay for the permits for them to go down the road.

    When this kind of construction could be done for $180 a square foot, Bill Clinton was president.

    In 2000 looking at building single or two story dwellings if you could get by for $100 a square foot you were doing well. The currency has almost halved in value since then.

    I don't see any way you get that done at 180, 300-400 is far more likely.

    To give you a good example, look at this listing:

    https://www.zillow.com/homes/f...

    They got the structure of this house up, then got destroyed on the costs trying to finish it out, and it has sat like this since 2001. it is only 2 stories with a daylight basement. Just finishing this place out with the structure there (assuming it was all good) I would estimate at 150-200 a square foot. (And mind you if this property was in the lower 48 not Alaska)

    I would suggest if you want to learn the construction side of things, start with a much much smaller project, a 2br 2bath where you are putting less than 2-300k on the line.

    Building bigger projects like you are wanting to tackle takes knowing the right people and having the right connections to get it done, and the only way to get those is to start with smaller projects to weed out the non hackers.

    Construction is one of the most difficult endeavors there is to do efficiently because there are so many moving parts, which is why so many shy away from it, and why the people who are good at it can make the big money.

    @Nick Richards

    I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me,  I do not think it will be a deal breaker. what everyone here fails to see is that with a budget of lets say 1.4million and I sell the home for 2.2 million and I do that twice thats gross 1.6mil profit and we should get 2.3 million and lets say I can only sell for 1.9 million (look at the comps) my soft costs are 60k+85k closing +140k interest =285k I would still net 214k per house....My point is, so long as I get it built I should profit . Now lets say **** hits the fan and we are in a real bad recession, I could sell these homes for what it cost to build and lose no money and learn alot....a 2 million dollar house listed for 1.4 million is a steal.....If things get even worse maybe I will lose 100k.....Risk/reward is definitely on my side 

  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Nick Richards:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Bruce Woodruff and yes its going to cost $180 per sqft not $300. I do not know where you got your numbers from.  This 1.7millino home I am buying will need top of the line finishes yes, but its the location that makes the price so high , not the house here. (the house obviously will need high end finishes, but you catch my meaning) Where do you get $300 from?

    The lots is 40x60 of which 31x51 will be built on. I have to lots back to back .  And I am simply asking the above (not being defensive) all opinions welcome here. I like the truth

    @Nick Richards 

     I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me, 

    I am new to the investing side of things, but I have been swinging a hammer, pouring concrete and pulling wire since I was 5 years old, I am now 40.

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. The guys driving to your site are paying $5.00+ per gallon gasoline, same for the Diesel in the trucks delivering the materials, which means prices of lumber and steel are not coming down as much as they could from the insane levels they peaked to mid pandemic.

    The other issue you have here, is you are trying to build tall, which means that there is a natural increase in cost simply for getting everything up to the upper floors because it is going to have to be hoisted up there with a telehandler or a crane.

    Because of this you are going to be throwing a substantial amount of equipment rental costs on top of your build, and that equipment runs on $5.00+ a gallon diesel fuel.

    Then you have to consider that labor costs are also going up because of inflation, When McDonalds is paying 13-15 an hour, skilled labor is starting to demand 25-50 an hour depending on the trade, and then the contractor is putting a markup on that before you are being billed for it.

    Additionally with the structure being as tall as what you are constructing, the walls have to be built stronger than a standard two story construction would be, and that weight has to be transferred to a very solid foundation that costs more money to build.

    The price of concrete is going up because it has to be trucked several times, and again, Diesel fuel is so expensive right now, and the same for the steel that has to be used to reinforce that concrete.

    There is another issue with building tall as well, is that your guys are going to need to have scaffolding and man lifts to get to the exterior of the house to work on it, and going 4 stories up, that is a lot of scaffold to build, not to mention that the employees working up there have to have fall protection training and so on.

    This is further compounded by the fact that working up high, it just takes longer so you are going to have way more hours involved because for anything they do, they are either having to perch themselves in the man basket of the lift, or working around the support structure of the scaffolding.

    And before you even start building in the site prep there again, you are going to have to pay for big earth moving machines, that run on that $5+ a gallon diesel, and pay for a truck to move those machines to and from your job site, and if those machines are big enough you have to pay for the permits for them to go down the road.

    When this kind of construction could be done for $180 a square foot, Bill Clinton was president.

    In 2000 looking at building single or two story dwellings if you could get by for $100 a square foot you were doing well. The currency has almost halved in value since then.

    I don't see any way you get that done at 180, 300-400 is far more likely.

    To give you a good example, look at this listing:

    https://www.zillow.com/homes/f...

    They got the structure of this house up, then got destroyed on the costs trying to finish it out, and it has sat like this since 2001. it is only 2 stories with a daylight basement. Just finishing this place out with the structure there (assuming it was all good) I would estimate at 150-200 a square foot. (And mind you if this property was in the lower 48 not Alaska)

    I would suggest if you want to learn the construction side of things, start with a much much smaller project, a 2br 2bath where you are putting less than 2-300k on the line.

    Building bigger projects like you are wanting to tackle takes knowing the right people and having the right connections to get it done, and the only way to get those is to start with smaller projects to weed out the non hackers.

    Construction is one of the most difficult endeavors there is to do efficiently because there are so many moving parts, which is why so many shy away from it, and why the people who are good at it can make the big money.

    @Nick Richards

    I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me,  I do not think it will be a deal breaker. what everyone here fails to see is that with a budget of lets say 1.4million and I sell the home for 2.2 million and I do that twice thats gross 1.6mil profit and we should get 2.3 million and lets say I can only sell for 1.9 million (look at the comps) my soft costs are 60k+85k closing +140k interest =285k I would still net 214k per house....My point is, so long as I get it built I should profit . Now lets say **** hits the fan and we are in a real bad recession, I could sell these homes for what it cost to build and lose no money and learn alot....a 2 million dollar house listed for 1.4 million is a steal.....If things get even worse maybe I will lose 100k.....Risk/reward is definitely on my side 


    I don't see how you get that build done for 196 a square foot. If it was a single story sure, but building a 4 story, not a chance.

    I would expect closer to $400/sqft, which is gonna be about 2 million, which sounds about right for building a 4 story home in a major metro.

    If your GC is telling you they can do it for 196, they are probably leading you along to get the work, and then are going to over run you with additional costs later.
  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    4y

    Why ask for advice and then ignore it?'

    Most(if not all) of the guys replying on this thread are the real deal and giving you very solid advice.

    $200 per sq.ft in a major metro, first timer, and the most expensive cost of capital that is still increasing, seems highly improbable, especially since you posted this thread because you don't even know, what you don't know...that's the lowest level of the competence hierarchy....so, basically, the most likely scenario for expensive surprises.

    I hope you get there! Best of luck!!!
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mike Smith:

    @Bruce Woodruff If you know it will sell way before it's finished, probably before the permit is even pulled, it would be very silly to worry about an interest rate.

    When I build spec homes, I always know they will sell and close by completion, so I don't even bother worrying about "what if it doesn't sell and close immediately after completion??"  Such an exercise is a complete waste of time and is only done by complete newbie builders.


    Because he doesn't know that it will sell way before it is finished. He thinks it will. Maybe read all the posts. Then perhaps you'll understand.....

  • Member since 2022 · 94 posts · 22 votes
    4y

    @Douglas Gratz Your original post was from Dec 2021. I'm curious where you are in the process? Have you completed all your due diligence? I just went through this process and it cost me 700K to get full entitlements. 

    If you have an elevator as you mentioned originally, that alone will cost 30-50K. Of course, I am in a suburb just north of Seattle and I got bids for my 14 multifamily townhomes/commercial that came to $300sq ft and my finishes were high-end, but NOT luxury for anticipated sale price between 950K-1million (Townhomes) Prime retail. It took me a year to get entitlements. So hard money needs to be 2years at least and I suggest doing interest reserve. Traffic mitigation fees alone were 30K for my site and the surety bonds required by the City were about 80K. We also bid 20% contingency cost just to insure we had the required funds to compeletion.

     

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nick Richards:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Nick Richards:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Bruce Woodruff and yes its going to cost $180 per sqft not $300. I do not know where you got your numbers from.  This 1.7millino home I am buying will need top of the line finishes yes, but its the location that makes the price so high , not the house here. (the house obviously will need high end finishes, but you catch my meaning) Where do you get $300 from?

    The lots is 40x60 of which 31x51 will be built on. I have to lots back to back .  And I am simply asking the above (not being defensive) all opinions welcome here. I like the truth

    @Nick Richards 

     I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me, 

    I am new to the investing side of things, but I have been swinging a hammer, pouring concrete and pulling wire since I was 5 years old, I am now 40.

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. The guys driving to your site are paying $5.00+ per gallon gasoline, same for the Diesel in the trucks delivering the materials, which means prices of lumber and steel are not coming down as much as they could from the insane levels they peaked to mid pandemic.

    The other issue you have here, is you are trying to build tall, which means that there is a natural increase in cost simply for getting everything up to the upper floors because it is going to have to be hoisted up there with a telehandler or a crane.

    Because of this you are going to be throwing a substantial amount of equipment rental costs on top of your build, and that equipment runs on $5.00+ a gallon diesel fuel.

    Then you have to consider that labor costs are also going up because of inflation, When McDonalds is paying 13-15 an hour, skilled labor is starting to demand 25-50 an hour depending on the trade, and then the contractor is putting a markup on that before you are being billed for it.

    Additionally with the structure being as tall as what you are constructing, the walls have to be built stronger than a standard two story construction would be, and that weight has to be transferred to a very solid foundation that costs more money to build.

    The price of concrete is going up because it has to be trucked several times, and again, Diesel fuel is so expensive right now, and the same for the steel that has to be used to reinforce that concrete.

    There is another issue with building tall as well, is that your guys are going to need to have scaffolding and man lifts to get to the exterior of the house to work on it, and going 4 stories up, that is a lot of scaffold to build, not to mention that the employees working up there have to have fall protection training and so on.

    This is further compounded by the fact that working up high, it just takes longer so you are going to have way more hours involved because for anything they do, they are either having to perch themselves in the man basket of the lift, or working around the support structure of the scaffolding.

    And before you even start building in the site prep there again, you are going to have to pay for big earth moving machines, that run on that $5+ a gallon diesel, and pay for a truck to move those machines to and from your job site, and if those machines are big enough you have to pay for the permits for them to go down the road.

    When this kind of construction could be done for $180 a square foot, Bill Clinton was president.

    In 2000 looking at building single or two story dwellings if you could get by for $100 a square foot you were doing well. The currency has almost halved in value since then.

    I don't see any way you get that done at 180, 300-400 is far more likely.

    To give you a good example, look at this listing:

    https://www.zillow.com/homes/f...

    They got the structure of this house up, then got destroyed on the costs trying to finish it out, and it has sat like this since 2001. it is only 2 stories with a daylight basement. Just finishing this place out with the structure there (assuming it was all good) I would estimate at 150-200 a square foot. (And mind you if this property was in the lower 48 not Alaska)

    I would suggest if you want to learn the construction side of things, start with a much much smaller project, a 2br 2bath where you are putting less than 2-300k on the line.

    Building bigger projects like you are wanting to tackle takes knowing the right people and having the right connections to get it done, and the only way to get those is to start with smaller projects to weed out the non hackers.

    Construction is one of the most difficult endeavors there is to do efficiently because there are so many moving parts, which is why so many shy away from it, and why the people who are good at it can make the big money.

    @Nick Richards

    I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me,  I do not think it will be a deal breaker. what everyone here fails to see is that with a budget of lets say 1.4million and I sell the home for 2.2 million and I do that twice thats gross 1.6mil profit and we should get 2.3 million and lets say I can only sell for 1.9 million (look at the comps) my soft costs are 60k+85k closing +140k interest =285k I would still net 214k per house....My point is, so long as I get it built I should profit . Now lets say **** hits the fan and we are in a real bad recession, I could sell these homes for what it cost to build and lose no money and learn alot....a 2 million dollar house listed for 1.4 million is a steal.....If things get even worse maybe I will lose 100k.....Risk/reward is definitely on my side 


    I don't see how you get that build done for 196 a square foot. If it was a single story sure, but building a 4 story, not a chance.

    I would expect closer to $400/sqft, which is gonna be about 2 million, which sounds about right for building a 4 story home in a major metro.

    If your GC is telling you they can do it for 196, they are probably leading you along to get the work, and then are going to over run you with additional costs later.

     @Nick Richards You have no idea what your talking about no offense. My friend just built the same thing (10 feet skinnier in width) but still 4 stories. He did it for 175 sqft bc it wasn't a luxury home, cheaper finishes all around

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Isaac S.:

    Why ask for advice and then ignore it?'

    Most(if not all) of the guys replying on this thread are the real deal and giving you very solid advice.

    $200 per sq.ft in a major metro, first timer, and the most expensive cost of capital that is still increasing, seems highly improbable, especially since you posted this thread because you don't even know, what you don't know...that's the lowest level of the competence hierarchy....so, basically, the most likely scenario for expensive surprises.

    I hope you get there! Best of luck!!!

    @Isaac S. I Am not  ignoring the advice , I just know that a friend of mine just finished almost the exact same build at 175k sqft, less luxurious and 1000 sqft smaller,,,And I didn't make this post because I dont know anything, I just wanted to know the steps in order so when I manage the project I can do it right. Furthermore the person I mentioned above has been hired as a consultant, so it may be my first new construction but he's done some huge projects. So where I lack in knowledge he will be there all the way to make sure its done right. So lets take the first timer thing out of this equation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.