What is the new construction process? Dig lot, pour concrete, etc

What is the new construction process? Dig lot, pour concrete, etc

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes

Hello, 

I am doing my first new construction and at first I was very confident, but no, not so much.  A lot of my flips took longer than anticipated which resulted in me having to find money for the closing.

I did! but now I am just not as confident.  Its 1.5 2 single family build in the hottest neighborhood in philadelphia. Northern Liberties.  My lot sizes are 40x60. Comps in the area range from 1.3 million to 1.9 and those homes have 10 feet less frontage.  Ir willl cost 1.5 to build it all.  So the profit looks nice however I am using hard money and thats always hard....(need to be strict with time)....Anyway, I want to make sure I of all the knowledge I need to make as few mistakes if none, possible ...

My first questions after all appovals and permits.  What is the first 3 steps to from breaking ground to the next 3 steps? does the developer handle this all?

I really need guidance here, this is a once in a life time opportunity and due to a flip taking to long, I had to pivot and I feel less safe in the investment.  All will be well as I should have 690K as soon as on house closes next month and and refi comes through, is my less safe may just be my fear....So I'm trying to reduce the risk and know all I can possibly know. 

Starting with the first 3 steps and costs right now. its 5000 sqft home with elevator. Basement, 4 levels and roof deck.



4Reply
1,034 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 372 posts · 172 votes
4y

I do flips and new builds and have over 20 years experience.  No way, I would attempt this with my experience.  No offense but you are asking rookie questions ready to enter the championship game.  I would never do a spec home of this magnitude.  

See this reply in the discussion

201 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nick Richards:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Nick Richards:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Bruce Woodruff and yes its going to cost $180 per sqft not $300. I do not know where you got your numbers from.  This 1.7millino home I am buying will need top of the line finishes yes, but its the location that makes the price so high , not the house here. (the house obviously will need high end finishes, but you catch my meaning) Where do you get $300 from?

    The lots is 40x60 of which 31x51 will be built on. I have to lots back to back .  And I am simply asking the above (not being defensive) all opinions welcome here. I like the truth

    @Nick Richards 

     I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me, 

    I am new to the investing side of things, but I have been swinging a hammer, pouring concrete and pulling wire since I was 5 years old, I am now 40.

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. The guys driving to your site are paying $5.00+ per gallon gasoline, same for the Diesel in the trucks delivering the materials, which means prices of lumber and steel are not coming down as much as they could from the insane levels they peaked to mid pandemic.

    The other issue you have here, is you are trying to build tall, which means that there is a natural increase in cost simply for getting everything up to the upper floors because it is going to have to be hoisted up there with a telehandler or a crane.

    Because of this you are going to be throwing a substantial amount of equipment rental costs on top of your build, and that equipment runs on $5.00+ a gallon diesel fuel.

    Then you have to consider that labor costs are also going up because of inflation, When McDonalds is paying 13-15 an hour, skilled labor is starting to demand 25-50 an hour depending on the trade, and then the contractor is putting a markup on that before you are being billed for it.

    Additionally with the structure being as tall as what you are constructing, the walls have to be built stronger than a standard two story construction would be, and that weight has to be transferred to a very solid foundation that costs more money to build.

    The price of concrete is going up because it has to be trucked several times, and again, Diesel fuel is so expensive right now, and the same for the steel that has to be used to reinforce that concrete.

    There is another issue with building tall as well, is that your guys are going to need to have scaffolding and man lifts to get to the exterior of the house to work on it, and going 4 stories up, that is a lot of scaffold to build, not to mention that the employees working up there have to have fall protection training and so on.

    This is further compounded by the fact that working up high, it just takes longer so you are going to have way more hours involved because for anything they do, they are either having to perch themselves in the man basket of the lift, or working around the support structure of the scaffolding.

    And before you even start building in the site prep there again, you are going to have to pay for big earth moving machines, that run on that $5+ a gallon diesel, and pay for a truck to move those machines to and from your job site, and if those machines are big enough you have to pay for the permits for them to go down the road.

    When this kind of construction could be done for $180 a square foot, Bill Clinton was president.

    In 2000 looking at building single or two story dwellings if you could get by for $100 a square foot you were doing well. The currency has almost halved in value since then.

    I don't see any way you get that done at 180, 300-400 is far more likely.

    To give you a good example, look at this listing:

    https://www.zillow.com/homes/f...

    They got the structure of this house up, then got destroyed on the costs trying to finish it out, and it has sat like this since 2001. it is only 2 stories with a daylight basement. Just finishing this place out with the structure there (assuming it was all good) I would estimate at 150-200 a square foot. (And mind you if this property was in the lower 48 not Alaska)

    I would suggest if you want to learn the construction side of things, start with a much much smaller project, a 2br 2bath where you are putting less than 2-300k on the line.

    Building bigger projects like you are wanting to tackle takes knowing the right people and having the right connections to get it done, and the only way to get those is to start with smaller projects to weed out the non hackers.

    Construction is one of the most difficult endeavors there is to do efficiently because there are so many moving parts, which is why so many shy away from it, and why the people who are good at it can make the big money.

    @Nick Richards

    I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me,  I do not think it will be a deal breaker. what everyone here fails to see is that with a budget of lets say 1.4million and I sell the home for 2.2 million and I do that twice thats gross 1.6mil profit and we should get 2.3 million and lets say I can only sell for 1.9 million (look at the comps) my soft costs are 60k+85k closing +140k interest =285k I would still net 214k per house....My point is, so long as I get it built I should profit . Now lets say **** hits the fan and we are in a real bad recession, I could sell these homes for what it cost to build and lose no money and learn alot....a 2 million dollar house listed for 1.4 million is a steal.....If things get even worse maybe I will lose 100k.....Risk/reward is definitely on my side 


    I don't see how you get that build done for 196 a square foot. If it was a single story sure, but building a 4 story, not a chance.

    I would expect closer to $400/sqft, which is gonna be about 2 million, which sounds about right for building a 4 story home in a major metro.

    If your GC is telling you they can do it for 196, they are probably leading you along to get the work, and then are going to over run you with additional costs later.

     @Nick Richards and My budget is based off of complete take offs from a big supply company, there are very few guesstimates in the budget. As for my builder, we have a 15% contingency in the contract, but he is a seasoned builder and just finished a large 15 home project in packer park during covid (so he knows what things cost ).  Our contract states that anything over our 15% contignency is on him and there is money is escrow for it. So with all due respect, you are a construction worker, you dont know jack, you work for people like me . On the other hand many people who have commented and given advice are experienced GC and builders, and I take all their advice into consideration, research the subject, talk to everyone on my team to see if its valid or not. Prices and situations are different in different area's , so in Texas X might cost this much but in PA X cost something else

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y

    @Nick Richards @Isaac S.

    Also fellas, my lender would not be lending me over 1.1 million dollars if my budget did not make sense to them. My lender, the owner of the company actually lives in Northern Liberties, where I am building, so if anything was off he would not be lending.  Along with that, I would not have offers between 1 and 1.2 million to buy the lots (about 6 offers so far and I have not even listed it)

  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Nick Richards:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:
    Quote from @Nick Richards:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Bruce Woodruff and yes its going to cost $180 per sqft not $300. I do not know where you got your numbers from.  This 1.7millino home I am buying will need top of the line finishes yes, but its the location that makes the price so high , not the house here. (the house obviously will need high end finishes, but you catch my meaning) Where do you get $300 from?

    The lots is 40x60 of which 31x51 will be built on. I have to lots back to back .  And I am simply asking the above (not being defensive) all opinions welcome here. I like the truth

    @Nick Richards 

     I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me, 

    I am new to the investing side of things, but I have been swinging a hammer, pouring concrete and pulling wire since I was 5 years old, I am now 40.

    To think that you are going to build a high end large home 4 stories for $180 a square foot is dreaming, especially with costs as they are right now. The guys driving to your site are paying $5.00+ per gallon gasoline, same for the Diesel in the trucks delivering the materials, which means prices of lumber and steel are not coming down as much as they could from the insane levels they peaked to mid pandemic.

    The other issue you have here, is you are trying to build tall, which means that there is a natural increase in cost simply for getting everything up to the upper floors because it is going to have to be hoisted up there with a telehandler or a crane.

    Because of this you are going to be throwing a substantial amount of equipment rental costs on top of your build, and that equipment runs on $5.00+ a gallon diesel fuel.

    Then you have to consider that labor costs are also going up because of inflation, When McDonalds is paying 13-15 an hour, skilled labor is starting to demand 25-50 an hour depending on the trade, and then the contractor is putting a markup on that before you are being billed for it.

    Additionally with the structure being as tall as what you are constructing, the walls have to be built stronger than a standard two story construction would be, and that weight has to be transferred to a very solid foundation that costs more money to build.

    The price of concrete is going up because it has to be trucked several times, and again, Diesel fuel is so expensive right now, and the same for the steel that has to be used to reinforce that concrete.

    There is another issue with building tall as well, is that your guys are going to need to have scaffolding and man lifts to get to the exterior of the house to work on it, and going 4 stories up, that is a lot of scaffold to build, not to mention that the employees working up there have to have fall protection training and so on.

    This is further compounded by the fact that working up high, it just takes longer so you are going to have way more hours involved because for anything they do, they are either having to perch themselves in the man basket of the lift, or working around the support structure of the scaffolding.

    And before you even start building in the site prep there again, you are going to have to pay for big earth moving machines, that run on that $5+ a gallon diesel, and pay for a truck to move those machines to and from your job site, and if those machines are big enough you have to pay for the permits for them to go down the road.

    When this kind of construction could be done for $180 a square foot, Bill Clinton was president.

    In 2000 looking at building single or two story dwellings if you could get by for $100 a square foot you were doing well. The currency has almost halved in value since then.

    I don't see any way you get that done at 180, 300-400 is far more likely.

    To give you a good example, look at this listing:

    https://www.zillow.com/homes/f...

    They got the structure of this house up, then got destroyed on the costs trying to finish it out, and it has sat like this since 2001. it is only 2 stories with a daylight basement. Just finishing this place out with the structure there (assuming it was all good) I would estimate at 150-200 a square foot. (And mind you if this property was in the lower 48 not Alaska)

    I would suggest if you want to learn the construction side of things, start with a much much smaller project, a 2br 2bath where you are putting less than 2-300k on the line.

    Building bigger projects like you are wanting to tackle takes knowing the right people and having the right connections to get it done, and the only way to get those is to start with smaller projects to weed out the non hackers.

    Construction is one of the most difficult endeavors there is to do efficiently because there are so many moving parts, which is why so many shy away from it, and why the people who are good at it can make the big money.

    @Nick Richards

    I agree with most of what you had to said and gas prices will effect my budget. I have a 15% contingency on a 1,140,000 budget we are actually at 196/sqft. And although I agree with how gas prices will effect me,  I do not think it will be a deal breaker. what everyone here fails to see is that with a budget of lets say 1.4million and I sell the home for 2.2 million and I do that twice thats gross 1.6mil profit and we should get 2.3 million and lets say I can only sell for 1.9 million (look at the comps) my soft costs are 60k+85k closing +140k interest =285k I would still net 214k per house....My point is, so long as I get it built I should profit . Now lets say **** hits the fan and we are in a real bad recession, I could sell these homes for what it cost to build and lose no money and learn alot....a 2 million dollar house listed for 1.4 million is a steal.....If things get even worse maybe I will lose 100k.....Risk/reward is definitely on my side 


    I don't see how you get that build done for 196 a square foot. If it was a single story sure, but building a 4 story, not a chance.

    I would expect closer to $400/sqft, which is gonna be about 2 million, which sounds about right for building a 4 story home in a major metro.

    If your GC is telling you they can do it for 196, they are probably leading you along to get the work, and then are going to over run you with additional costs later.

     @Nick Richards You have no idea what your talking about no offense. My friend just built the same thing (10 feet skinnier in width) but still 4 stories. He did it for 175 sqft bc it wasn't a luxury home, cheaper finishes all around


     I literally grew up in the construction industry and have built more homes than you have fingers and toes, including luxury homes at places like the Yellowstone Club in Big sky Montana, But I have no idea what I am talking about? 

    Well good luck to ya bud. 

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    4y

    @Douglas Gratz  1)  if  project is costing 1.5 mill to build and you will have   690K form a  refinance - is the  balance  coming from the hard money source ?  if so  -  check with them on there  disbursement guidelines / requirements    contruiction loan ?  2)  assuming you have a builder lined up for the  project -  you should ask him all these  questions  and  also  review your contract  you have  with the  builder for  other details 3)  you might consider hiring or  finding soemone  to  help  with  guiding / teaching the process 

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    Hello, 

    I am doing my first new construction and at first I was very confident, but no, not so much.  A lot of my flips took longer than anticipated which resulted in me having to find money for the closing.

    I did! but now I am just not as confident.  Its 1.5 2 single family build in the hottest neighborhood in philadelphia. Northern Liberties.  My lot sizes are 40x60. Comps in the area range from 1.3 million to 1.9 and those homes have 10 feet less frontage.  Ir willl cost 1.5 to build it all.  So the profit looks nice however I am using hard money and thats always hard....(need to be strict with time)....Anyway, I want to make sure I of all the knowledge I need to make as few mistakes if none, possible ...

    My first questions after all appovals and permits.  What is the first 3 steps to from breaking ground to the next 3 steps? does the developer handle this all?

    I really need guidance here, this is a once in a life time opportunity and due to a flip taking to long, I had to pivot and I feel less safe in the investment.  All will be well as I should have 690K as soon as on house closes next month and and refi comes through, is my less safe may just be my fear....So I'm trying to reduce the risk and know all I can possibly know. 

    Starting with the first 3 steps and costs right now. its 5000 sqft home with elevator. Basement, 4 levels and roof deck.




    You orginal post literally says:

    "I am doing my first new construction and at first I was very confident, but no, not so much."

    If i am not mistaken, your lender is private money, some developer or contractor, that  will absolutely get their money out of the project even if you loose money...

    But, I appreciate your willingness to stick to your guns, it's the hallmark of big wins AND big losses.

    If/when you can pull it off a few times, you should think about syndication, as I would gladly put money with an outfit that can get it done for sub $200 per sq. ft on a consistent basis, in a major metro, during this level of inflation.

    Seriously, best of luck and I hope you prove them/me all wrong and get it done.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dave Skow:

    @Douglas Gratz  1)  if  project is costing 1.5 mill to build and you will have   690K form a  refinance - is the  balance  coming from the hard money source ?  if so  -  check with them on there  disbursement guidelines / requirements    contruiction loan ?  2)  assuming you have a builder lined up for the  project -  you should ask him all these  questions  and  also  review your contract  you have  with the  builder for  other details 3)  you might consider hiring or  finding soemone  to  help  with  guiding / teaching the process 

     @Dave Skow  I actually got a bank on board at 6% , thank god..Did not want to use hard money.  And yes I have a consultant to make sure all is kosher and I know what I need to know

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    4y

    @Douglas Gratz- thats  good news ...a 6% rate is a  great rate for this  type of loan ...good to hear you have a consutant assisting ...good luck

  • Real Estate Agent · Soldotna, AK · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    @Douglas Gratz love the line where you say "with all due respect" and then continue on to demean and insult the person who gave advice on a platform where you solicited the advice. Even if you succeed with this venture you have lost respect from many on here who have simply stumbled onto this thread or provided advice. (Not that you care, obviously)

  • Scott KronePro Member
    Investor · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 352 posts · 295 votes
    4y

    @Douglas Gratz glad you were able to find a lender

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kyle Titus:

    @Douglas Gratz love the line where you say "with all due respect" and then continue on to demean and insult the person who gave advice on a platform where you solicited the advice. Even if you succeed with this venture you have lost respect from many on here who have simply stumbled onto this thread or provided advice. (Not that you care, obviously)

     @Kyle Titus Its not that I do not care, its that their advice is off base. For example one guy is saying it will cost $400/sqft to build. Maybe where he is from, but after thorough research and a lot of bid, the largest number a GC gave me was $205/sqft. So to say $400/sqft is flat out not right. Not only are people giving advice that may be right where they are from but they are discouraging and some are flat out saying I am in over my head. Who are they to say I am in over my head when they do not know my skill set and the people I am working with? So yeah to some I dont care, but others make sense, like @Bruce Woodruff and @Caroline Gerardo and who said "

    Great floor plans and style. I'm not seeing you getting them done for $170 s.f. though. Materials costs are pretty close everywhere, and have doubled if not tripled on lumber. Has the builder done a take off on a program like Xactimate or ? that actually prices out materials? The good news is, even if you go over, it appears there's a healthy profit margin that can be reduced and still not be underwater. I'd wait until you're doing finish work to actually price and list them, and know for certain what costs are. You can still market and have a website for them to generate leads, but hold off on pricing, just generate buzz. I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress. Best of luck."

    For example my builder has gotten all the take offs back for exact prices on the materials based on the stamped construction set. We know our budget is on point because we have exact prices for just about everything . So when people tell me $400/sqft....its bogus. I have even contacted the supplier and when down the all the line items to see what is back ordered so I know what I need to order ahead of time, like windows and appliances (which are a year out for wolf) Then we have people on here telling me sell it and run, but like Karen explained my profit margin is healthy. I am at 37% ROI. IF PRICE DROPPED 40% I would still be in the green and I dont see a 40% drop in housing prices happening.

    @Mike Smith also had alot of good advice. So Kyle, with all due respect lol
     

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    4y

    @Douglas Gratz In a weird way, I am rooting for you to make this work and prove all of us wrong.  That being said, I still have my doubts as I feel you lack the experience to take on a project of this complexity.  I do admire your courage (or stupidity, I guess, only time will tell)...
    I think the real value in this entire thread will be you updating this thread or your build log as things go along.  Tell us the good, the bad, and the ugly with both your budget and schedule as you build.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y

    @Mike Smith I will and I was having trouble with my funding. All for a good reason as it seems, I found a lender ay 6% instead of 11%.  The bank insisted I have 400k into the project and was short 250k, at last, builder decided to invest so experience wise, I think all is well.  He has done some very large builds and one during covid. We know what needs to be ordered earlier than normal, and if all goes as plan with the loan we should be breaking ground in 3 weeks. I will keep everyone posted. 

    Time will tell, and I understand how people may thing taking on such a large project for my first new construction is not the right thing to do, however I disagree, and I disagree because I am good at what I do and have prepared as much as one can for such an undertaking.  Personally I think it is easier than flipping a house.  Most of my flips have been full guts and re-framing the inside in a way that totally changed it around, so I feel this to much easier in that I do not have to work around whats already built, crooked floors, foundation that have set crooked, etc etc.  Ground up, I just need to following the blue prints , order material on time, set a schedule for each step and stay within that schedule, same for the budget. 

    Whether I am building a home worth 500k and one worth 2 million, the only difference is going to be the finish's . I wish you knew Philly well. Look up Northern Liberties Philadelphia and the comps. It is probably in the top 3 sought out places to live near center city. Rent for a 3500sqft home is $8,000 a month. Look up 613 N 3rd St Philadelphia PA 19123. I am building on the 800 block of N 4th st

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    and I disagree because I am good at what I do and have prepared as much as one can for such an undertaking. 

    Aha my friend. You cannot be good at something you have never done...


  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    and I disagree because I am good at what I do and have prepared as much as one can for such an undertaking. 

    Aha my friend. You cannot be good at something you have never done...



     I dont know about that, in 2015 I never did American Ninja warrior obstacle's and my first time at a gym with a real course , I did very well, I would say better than good. I am 5'3, I even got up the wall on my first try! 

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    4y

    9/16/22 Update:

    Today at 9 AM I met with my partners and lawyer to go over the Amended LLC Operating Agreement in which I am managing partner as I own a majority stake. They were added to my LLC instead of doing a joint venture for two reasons taxes and ease. We signed the Amended Operating Agreement and went over any questions anyone had. One of the partners, my loan officer hooked me up with and is a good friend of the president of First Bank who is giving us the construction loan so that is good in terms of getting the loan and networking (which is most important) I now have a partner with connections that I can use for future deals! I think that has been the best thing about doing this project, the networking, and all the people and banks I have started business relationships with. From Architects, surveyors, lawyers, partners, hard money lenders, and much more. 2nd best thing is the knowledge I have gained. @Steve K. So far so good. It's taking a lot longer to get to the digging stage, but that's because I had to do a lot of maneuvering to get funded along with underwriting taking a lot longer these days.  Turns out the Bank will take over the loans on both lots which I had with a hard money lender at 11% and now at 7% without an expiration date. We had it at 6% but since we have not close and rates are above 6%, we believe we will end on 7%, but maybe construction loan rates are different.

  • Investor · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    @Douglas Gratz - Any update on the progress?

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    3y

    @Lance Hernandez

    @Lance Hernandez Actually there is. I just closed on refinancing the land out of hard money yesterday, which gives me time to search for a lender, investors, and move some things around that could allow me to need less loaned money which may make. it easier to get approved. I have a lender but since m builder never built an investment of his own, the lender doesnt like that. For real though, he has been building for 40 years, cmon! Anyway the lender put me in contact with another developer and I spoke with him today on terms for partnering, if he's i  (hes already approved by this lender),so,if i can get him on board I am going to take 1-2 months to see what I can do about getting the budget lower by a min of 100k and we will start to build. If now progress happens within 5 months , it will be time to admit failure but not in a bad light. I will still profit and have learned so much. Time will tell. Will keep everyone posted

  • Chris SvendsenPro Member
    Front Royal, VA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 240 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Lance Hernandez

    @Lance Hernandez Actually there is. I just closed on refinancing the land out of hard money yesterday, which gives me time to search for a lender, investors, and move some things around that could allow me to need less loaned money which may make. it easier to get approved. I have a lender but since m builder never built an investment of his own, the lender doesnt like that. For real though, he has been building for 40 years, cmon! Anyway the lender put me in contact with another developer and I spoke with him today on terms for partnering, if he's i  (hes already approved by this lender),so,if i can get him on board I am going to take 1-2 months to see what I can do about getting the budget lower by a min of 100k and we will start to build. If now progress happens within 5 months , it will be time to admit failure but not in a bad light. I will still profit and have learned so much. Time will tell. Will keep everyone posted


     Reviving this thread, where you standing with this project?  Curious how things turned out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    2y

    @Lance Hernandez wow I’m a little late , but anyway it did not work out. No one would lend, not even with the signed AOS and 300k down…It was insane, would have broke had Covid not doubled the cost of rent for my rentals. It was tough goin though for a while

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Douglas Gratz:

    @Lance Hernandez wow I’m a little late , but anyway it did not work out. No one would lend, not even with the signed AOS and 300k down…It was insane, would have broke had Covid not doubled the cost of rent for my rentals. It was tough goin though for a while


     What's your next project?

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    2y

    @Bruce Woodruff at this point , brushing against total failure, evicting all my cash paying tenants that are not willing to pay the section 8 price (two units) well they are leaving on their on except one. So I am just focusing on renting them, repairing some units, making they are all shipshape, and then going to laser focus on getting 20 units while building a team of like minded people. Turn this into something that can scale. 

    I would like to build a duplex or triplex (Depending on zoning) but the mile stone has been pushed back a little haha

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.