Poll:How much are you paying for New Plan drawings (blue prints)?

Poll:How much are you paying for New Plan drawings (blue prints)?

Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 17 votes

I'm going to convert garage into a mother-in-law suite, granny flat, etc. (ADU's). How much are you paying to have someone (architect, draftsman, etc.) to draw up a set of plans (blue-prints) to submit to the City? It's going to either be a studio or 1bed/1bath. I just want to see how it prices out throughout the different cities. I'm in San Diego, CA and I hear it's about $10K for a simple set of drawings to send over to the City plan checker. Also, it's about 2 month lead time for approval. Is there another way around this cost? Please let me know what your experience with hiring an architect or draftsman.

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Jared W SmithBusiness Member
Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
7y

@Victor G. I have some thoughts on your post (I am obviously biased): 

What is the underlying reason? Is it purely a cost savings? I would urge many investors/contractors to befriend an architect especially if your work area is limited. Frequent work or collaborating on projects becomes an ongoing effort and the cost become more negotiable/flexible. If you come out of no where, I don't know you and you're trying to get low ball cost for my services, I am less likely to budge as if we've already established a relationship. 

Yes, being an investor as well as an architect I can see both sides but I see tremendous value in the services that Architects offer and personally I tend to work with the people (contractors, investors, etc.) that I know. 

Another few questions worth considering: Will the Architect's plans help alleviate a design problem which you will benefit from the improved layout, design, etc.? Do you know the process dealing with the Municipality filing and getting permits?  After filing what if objections come back siting zoning or building code issues? Are you versed in their resolution? When you've dealt with certain municipalities you get familiar with what they want and what they don't. This pays a big roll in the time it takes for the whole process. What is your time worth?    

Locale, investor/contractor experience, and Municipality requirements are the biggest determinate for cost. If you're willing to put in your own work in finding the information you need and the process necessary to attain permits, then so be it, however it goes back to what is your time worth? Plus most urban cities and suburban municipalities require a PE or RA for alterations, additions and changes in use/occupancy/egress/zoning. You have to check with them.    

Also being that there is such a misconception with architects and their services, I should note that there's a very big difference between an architect, one that is licensed & registered to practice architecture, and a drafter.    

Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    7y

    @Victor G. I have some thoughts on your post (I am obviously biased): 

    What is the underlying reason? Is it purely a cost savings? I would urge many investors/contractors to befriend an architect especially if your work area is limited. Frequent work or collaborating on projects becomes an ongoing effort and the cost become more negotiable/flexible. If you come out of no where, I don't know you and you're trying to get low ball cost for my services, I am less likely to budge as if we've already established a relationship. 

    Yes, being an investor as well as an architect I can see both sides but I see tremendous value in the services that Architects offer and personally I tend to work with the people (contractors, investors, etc.) that I know. 

    Another few questions worth considering: Will the Architect's plans help alleviate a design problem which you will benefit from the improved layout, design, etc.? Do you know the process dealing with the Municipality filing and getting permits?  After filing what if objections come back siting zoning or building code issues? Are you versed in their resolution? When you've dealt with certain municipalities you get familiar with what they want and what they don't. This pays a big roll in the time it takes for the whole process. What is your time worth?    

    Locale, investor/contractor experience, and Municipality requirements are the biggest determinate for cost. If you're willing to put in your own work in finding the information you need and the process necessary to attain permits, then so be it, however it goes back to what is your time worth? Plus most urban cities and suburban municipalities require a PE or RA for alterations, additions and changes in use/occupancy/egress/zoning. You have to check with them.    

    Also being that there is such a misconception with architects and their services, I should note that there's a very big difference between an architect, one that is licensed & registered to practice architecture, and a drafter.    

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    7y

    Remember a lot of architects value is the knowledge of the building products, local codes, design layouts, specifications, construction observation, time required, etc not the just the blue prints one seeks.  The architect will guide you through this process.   Remember you pay for what you get.  Cheap isn't always better.   

    One can plan 5% to 15% of the construction cost.  The smaller the project the higher the %.  This is based off RS Means 2018 - Square Foot Cost Book.

  • Architect · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Hi Victor,

    You can expect to pay between 8% - 12% of construction cost for a Licensed Architect. If you decided to hire a draftsman the price varies due to quality/experience. If you do decide to hire a draftsman/women please tread carefully. Shop around and interview potential designers...ask for references, ask to see completed projects and make a selection. But please do not select a designer because they had the lowest bid. I come across too many investors seeking to save a little money and in turn end up sacrificing quality and the irreplaceable knowledge that a good designer brings to the table. But Ultimately it's your call Victor, best of luck!

    -Salvador

    Building Designer

  • Hudson VAlley · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    It really depends. I had drawings for 2000 sq fr for under 2K. They were hand drawn by an old-school unlicensed engineer when wet stamped by a licensed architect. It wouldn't work if the guys didn't know each other for 25 years. Since i knew what i want and i didn't need electrical and plumbing part that worked for me. The other architects wouldn't start for less than 6,500. I can understand - paying for tuition, offices, CAD etc can not land you less than that. But i found the way to save some money for the project

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    I want to start out by saying thank you for all your responses. It great to hear that there are more architects on Bigger Pockets (it seems to be a majority of real estate agents).  I have architectural colleagues I deal with all the time on my day-to-day job on my large commercial project but I have not dealt with them on my personal residential property.   In fact, I work for a design build engineering firm which has architects as well.  I wanted to gage if this is the same or similar cost across the country.  I really had no idea that it would be that level of detail, requiring actual plans and not just a sketch (via addendum, RFI's and the such). So this is definitely a wake-up call. Thank you again. 

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    7y

    @Victor G. Many architects here in this forum are hoping to change the misconceptions many have with dealing with architects and the profession as a whole.  

    @Jim Adrian @Nik Moushon 

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I learned the hard way that hiring an architect is more than just drawing lines on paper. Their knowledge (or lack thereof) of your city/municipalities zoning laws are worth much more than what they charge for drawings. The architect that I recently hired will probably make me 6 figures of equity on my next property by designing something I never would have seen had I hired another architect just to save $1500. 

  • Contractor · Fairhaven, MA · Member since 2018 · 167 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    You can't compare CA with the rest of the country in regards to the depth of specifications that is required on the plans and let's not forget the title 24 crap.....  There are other tough states but CA is in a league of their own.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    We had to get a commercial architect involved over what the Bldg Insp dragged out for 2 years.

    He frustrated me to no end as he was an absolute stickler for IRC details & calcs. Then he literally had to sit down with the Bldg Insp many times & explain the calcs to them. BUT he was a life/deal saver & we FINALLY got everything signed off. Was he expensive???. We had a complete 6-unit rehab & he charged a local surgeon $10k for a large 3 car garage build.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.