Are you buying off of the MLS?

Are you buying off of the MLS?

Realtor · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 18 votes

Are you finding deals on the MLS for any investment strategy (BRRR, STR, LTR, etc)? Just looking to stir up some convo.

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y

There are ALWAYS deals on the MLS, you just have to know where and how to look. Back on market properties every day on a hot sheet is a key focus so you can find all the deals that just fell out because of inspection issues (usually comes with a price reduction and an acknowledgment of what just happened because they know the new buyer will find it) or because of failed mortgage contingencies (these are the best because they are closer to closing and need to close so you can just hop into the deal that had and close quickly). It always depends on what you are looking for and how you look on the MLS and how hard your agent looks for you (no autoemails every day) if you do not have MLS access.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    The better way to say it is TRYING to buy off the MLS. Every property we have looked at in last 12 months went pending in 3 days, if not 3 hrs. It's wild.

    Went $5K over ask on the last one and didn't get the property. Reallllly slowing our search moving forward (investment or primary residence). Planning to spend the majority of my time looking for off market opportunities, networking, and investing in myself in 2022. 

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    4y

    Definitely still buying off the MLS. With such insane appreciation these past few years, there are still a lot of homes being posted for way under market value because agents and sellers just aren't keeping a good pulse on the market.

    Many people make the mistake of thinking the listing price is law and if you get it for under the listing price you got a deal.  That's incorrect.  Remember, the list price is often just the guess of an agent and many agents don't do a good job of it, especially those only doing 1-2 transactions per year.  If a house is priced $100,000 low and you pick it up for $60,000 over list, you still got a great deal.

    Don't shy away from the MLS!!

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    There are ALWAYS deals on the MLS, you just have to know where and how to look. Back on market properties every day on a hot sheet is a key focus so you can find all the deals that just fell out because of inspection issues (usually comes with a price reduction and an acknowledgment of what just happened because they know the new buyer will find it) or because of failed mortgage contingencies (these are the best because they are closer to closing and need to close so you can just hop into the deal that had and close quickly). It always depends on what you are looking for and how you look on the MLS and how hard your agent looks for you (no autoemails every day) if you do not have MLS access.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    4y

    @Johnathon Sesi I find that if you have the right strategy the MLS is a great place to find deals! Pretty much every SFH in Austin works with my strategy of medium-term rentals.

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    We purchased our last investment off the MLS in March 2021. I recognize a year is pretty outdated data in such a volatile market, but it was still pretty rough then, too.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I just signed a contract for one off of the MLS today and have actually bought all of my househacks off the MLS. We bought around 10 last year off of the MLS

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Yes.

  • Investor · Melrose Park, IL · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    @Jaron Walling do you see the hot buying (bidding up prices, etc.) slowing down, as rates rise later this year?

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Johnathon Sesi I own 45 doors. 4 of them were purchased off market the rest came from the MLS.

    Our brokerage only works with investors, 90% of the deals we do are from the MLS.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Johnathon Sesi I buy both on and off the MLS. I've got my eye on a property now on the MLS that needs a total rehab. I plan on going to see it quickly. It's about a 30 minute drive from my main investing location. If the drive inconveniences my contractor too much I will pass even with the super low price because without the great rates I get through this contractor the rehab would be five times as expensive to hire someone else.

    My last deal was from the MLS that I closed yesterday but the one I closed 3 weeks ago a realtor brought to me before it got listed and I made an offer slightly above what the seller wanted and she accepted to avoid the hassle of having lots of people going through her home.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @James Bitakis:

    @Jaron Walling do you see the hot buying (bidding up prices, etc.) slowing down, as rates rise later this year?

     Yeah it's definitely going to slow down but the shortage will still be here. Prices will hold. I see it affecting under qualified buyers because they won't qualify for new loans. Higher interest rates won't stop the mid/upper class from buying, investing, and making moves. 

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Absolutely. Deals come from all kinds of places, it's silly for people to say that you HAVE to buy off market, that shuts new investors down immediately. I've bought most of my portfolio off of the MLS.

    95% of transactions happen on the MLS, it's ridiculous to think every one of those is a bad deal.

  • Pamela GordonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 36 posts · 36 votes
    4y

    Hi @Johnathon Sesi, I would definitely say yes, there are deals on MLS, you just have to constantly look at them. Last year I bought 2 properties off of the MLS, it was like another fulltime job looking and searching, :-), but the deals are there. One of them I did bid over asking price, but it was in a great market, and prior to getting that deal I must of looked at minimum 30+ homes and about 10 rejections from getting outbid, but so be it, move on to the the next one. The one I got in December was a zillow owned home, and it worked out great, no due diligence, bid $25K less zillow paid $9K towards closing and also gave a check at closing made directly out the he HVAC company for $2.5k to repair the A/C, since there were limitations of how much they could give us, which was ok with me, as long as they paid it.

    For me since I am just starting out MLS is pretty much my go to, I will usually look at how long it has been on the market, if it is back on the market and the price history and then analyze the numbers to if it makes sense or not, but at least after analyzing I already know what I am willing to offer and how much wiggle room I have and take it from there. Yeah, you might hear a lot of no's along the way, get frustrated but you really only need one yes, to get the deal, plus you just learn so much throughout the entire process, even with all the no's I received so far, the knowledge gained has been priceless.

  • Real Estate Agent · Greenville, SC · Member since 2021 · 210 posts · 142 votes
    4y

    I will analyze deals and make offers on MLS listed properties. Sometimes they get accepted, sometimes they don't. Just really depends on the sellers motivation. If you are the end buyer this is entirely possible.

  • Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    @Johnathon Sesi there is always going to be a deal you just have to wait for the right one and be on t of it or just wait for a solid market opportunity. The last place I bought cash flows 1400 a month bought right off the MLS was for sale by owner and was on the market for over 80 days.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Signed another off of the MLS last night! This one wasn't technically on the mls but came from the same listing agent as a result of us asking if they had anymore they want to sell.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.