SFH zoning but set up as Triplex? (Philadelphia)

SFH zoning but set up as Triplex? (Philadelphia)

Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 2 votes

I have a deal 400k, previously was approved for 3 family but city converted the zoning to SFH on whole block.

I'm thinking to submit an offer this weekend. I'm so nervous

The number is very lucrative. 3300sq ft+ in a B+ neighborhood

1 3bd & 2 2bd estimate 3700+ rent

monthly mortgage $2814, owner occupied, minus 10% (repair & maintenance & vacancy) I would still cash flow over $500 & 1k+ when I move out

My main concern is the legality of renting out... renting by room? will the home insurance cover if something goes wrong since this is not a legal multifamily?

there seems to be many advertised as multifamily but do not have the zoning & permit in Philly.

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Kevin MoyerBusiness Member
Property Manager · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 269 posts · 301 votes
4y
Quote from @Wz Michael:

I have a deal 400k, previously was approved for 3 family but city converted the zoning to SFH on whole block.

I'm thinking to submit an offer this weekend. I'm so nervous

The number is very lucrative. 3300sq ft+ in a B+ neighborhood

1 3bd & 2 2bd estimate 3700+ rent

monthly mortgage $2814, owner occupied, minus 10% (repair & maintenance & vacancy) I would still cash flow over $500 & 1k+ when I move out

My main concern is the legality of renting out... renting by room? will the home insurance cover if something goes wrong since this is not a legal multifamily?

there seems to be many advertised as multifamily but do not have the zoning & permit in Philly.


There’s a reason the return is so high: risk. You are one phone call to L&I away from getting an order to vacate notice on the door. I’ve personally seen it happen.  

There are special rules for triplexes in Philly relating to egress, sprinkler systems, lighting, fire alarms, fire breaks, and more. You could be looking at a huge bill to become compliant and a fight that could take years. 

Or you could quietly make a great return for years like 95% of illegal multi-families throughout the city…

Otter Property Management4.8628 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kevin MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 269 posts · 301 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Wz Michael:

    I have a deal 400k, previously was approved for 3 family but city converted the zoning to SFH on whole block.

    I'm thinking to submit an offer this weekend. I'm so nervous

    The number is very lucrative. 3300sq ft+ in a B+ neighborhood

    1 3bd & 2 2bd estimate 3700+ rent

    monthly mortgage $2814, owner occupied, minus 10% (repair & maintenance & vacancy) I would still cash flow over $500 & 1k+ when I move out

    My main concern is the legality of renting out... renting by room? will the home insurance cover if something goes wrong since this is not a legal multifamily?

    there seems to be many advertised as multifamily but do not have the zoning & permit in Philly.


    There’s a reason the return is so high: risk. You are one phone call to L&I away from getting an order to vacate notice on the door. I’ve personally seen it happen.  

    There are special rules for triplexes in Philly relating to egress, sprinkler systems, lighting, fire alarms, fire breaks, and more. You could be looking at a huge bill to become compliant and a fight that could take years. 

    Or you could quietly make a great return for years like 95% of illegal multi-families throughout the city…

    Otter Property Management4.8628 Reviews
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 618 posts · 430 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Wz Michael:

    I have a deal 400k, previously was approved for 3 family but city converted the zoning to SFH on whole block.

    What does this mean exactly? This was a RM-1 or something similar and was rezoned years ago as RSA-5? Is there a variance? Any rental licenses showing 3 units? 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Wz Michael:

    I have a deal 400k, previously was approved for 3 family but city converted the zoning to SFH on whole block.

    I'm thinking to submit an offer this weekend. I'm so nervous

    The number is very lucrative. 3300sq ft+ in a B+ neighborhood

    1 3bd & 2 2bd estimate 3700+ rent

    monthly mortgage $2814, owner occupied, minus 10% (repair & maintenance & vacancy) I would still cash flow over $500 & 1k+ when I move out

    My main concern is the legality of renting out... renting by room? will the home insurance cover if something goes wrong since this is not a legal multifamily?

    there seems to be many advertised as multifamily but do not have the zoning & permit in Philly.


     Put the offer in with a 30 day due diligence contingency 


    during that time talk to the city/county about the 3 units 

  • Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eric Greenberg:
    Quote from @Wz Michael:

    I have a deal 400k, previously was approved for 3 family but city converted the zoning to SFH on whole block.

    What does this mean exactly? This was a RM-1 or something similar and was rezoned years ago as RSA-5? Is there a variance? Any rental licenses showing 3 units? 


     this is a rsa-3 zoning. I did see there was permit back in 2011. (seems like it was granted) my agent called a zoning guy confirmed this is currently a sfh zoning and variance will be chance but hard to get. 

    I'm passing this deal since I don't want to get sued or not able to evict the tenant in the future but it really seems like most of the triplex in philly are illegal use....

    do the other investors just not care about the zoning...?

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 618 posts · 430 votes
    4y

    LThere is a lot of work done in Philly without permits and rentals without the correct licenses or zoning. Id also guess your definition of ‘investor’ may not be congruent with some of the folks who own these properties. From my experience people play fast and loose unless you are in an area where neighbors will call L&I on you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 294 posts · 245 votes
    4y

    For anything in Philly always refer to the Philly Atlas https://atlas.phila.gov. From my experience, it very much depends on the area for investors' tolerance or lack thereof regarding zoning.  The nicer the area the more strict the neighborhood will be and a higher chance of L&I gets called, but as @Kevin Moyer says there are a ton of illegal multi-familys throughout the city. If your looking for a multis in the city I would simply look for properties with RM1 zoning and have the lot dimension to support additional unit so you won't run into any problems with zoning.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.